The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #101
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Default Re: Top Three Directors In The Running To Direct Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Marvel's director choices are often left-field but they usually make sense. This is... interesting to say the least. Once again I'll trust Feige but this is kind of a head-scratcher.

I'm glad someone else isn't peeing their red white and blue pj's.

I figured after Avengers maybe we'd stop boohooing director picks by Feige. People have been worried about nearly every directorial pick he's made, and other than LL with TIH, they've all worked out. Let's have SOME faith in the man.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #102
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post

I figured after Avengers maybe we'd stop boohooing director picks by Feige. People have been worried about nearly every directorial pick he's made, and other than LL with TIH, they've all worked out. Let's have SOME faith in the man.
I just want to be privy to those meetings between Feige and the Russos to see what Feige saw in them to hand over the Cap franchise. I mean, I do trust the guy but... to say this was unexpected, even though the Russos were on the shortlist, is a big understatement.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #103
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I just want to be privy to those meetings between Feige and the Russos to see what Feige saw in them to hand over the Cap franchise. I mean, I do trust the guy but... to say this was unexpected, even though the Russos were on the shortlist, is a big understatement.
It's always the unexpected ones that do a great job though. Think about how many sure fire things have blown up in people's faces? Two years ago, everyone thought Green Lantern was a surefire thing, and look how that turned out...

Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #104
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

True, Favs did phenomenal work on IM and he was an unexpected choice. Bryan Singer with X-Men too... and Joss Whedon was unexpected for The Avengers. But at least with Whedon, I felt there was more genre experience to back him handling the franchise.

I'm really hoping that they'll give us something cinematic in scope for CA 2. I'm rooting for them, even though I have massive reservations

Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #105
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Personally, I don't have alot of faith in the Russos, considering their body of work. Yes, I know Favreau also was known for his comedies and/or small-budgeted films before Iron Man, but he seemed to be someone who was quite knowledgable about the genre, since he also appeared in DD alongside Affleck. I thought Joe Johnson did a pretty good job in CA:TFA, and I was hoping Marvel would ask him to return since of playing director music chair, but sadly it isn't the case. I hope Feige's decision is the right one, because so far his instincts and decision-making really guided Marvel Studios toward the right direction, and I hope this selection will pan out. After Cap's impressive follow-up in The Avengers, the last thing I want is to have an awful movie to ruin the streak.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #106
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Th Frown Re: Top Three Directors In The Running To Direct Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
True, Favs did phenomenal work on IM and he was an unexpected choice. Bryan Singer with X-Men too... and Joss Whedon was unexpected for The Avengers. But at least with Whedon, I felt there was more genre experience to back him handling the franchise.

I'm really hoping that they'll give us something cinematic in scope for CA 2. I'm rooting for them, even though I have massive reservations
I'm just glad it wasn't the Italian Job director...that film was painful.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #107
Ramsay Bolton

I feel like the only person on the internet who's legitimately excited about this news. Like, not just cautiously optimistic, but excited. The Russos' episodes of Community all look amazing, and are pretty great genre films in their own right. I can actually really easily see them doing great things with Captain America, and fitting in comfortably with a big budget action picture.

Check this out for the sake of debate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84u6RFKvZlI

Ramsay Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #108
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

Quote:
It's always the unexpected ones that do a great job though. Think about how many sure fire things have blown up in people's faces? Two years ago, everyone thought Green Lantern was a surefire thing, and look how that turned out...
The other directorial choices have made sense. This one doesn't.
Favs did a pretty spectacular adventure flick in Zathura; Branagh brought his Shakespearean sensibilities to the royal family drama of Asgard; Joe Johnston has a looooong history of directing great action adventures; Louis Leterrier's Unleashed was in its own way a Hulk story; and Joss Whedon was just a given, with his Marvel background. Also, Alan Taylor's work with GOT clearly prepares him for the high fantasy of Thor 2, and Shane Black's rapport with RDJ as well as a long laundry list of successful actioners makes him a strong choice for IM3.

OTOH, plenty of other directors from other studios made no sense at all. Martin Campbell's work with spy thrillers and Zorro swashbucklers did not prepare him for classic space opera at all; nor did Tim Story's urban comedies translate to space opera, either.

That's why the Russo Brothers make no sense: a well-established pedigree in sitcoms does *not* equal a good resume for a Captain America adventure, imho --- and the humble opinions of lots and lots and lots of other people, clearly. I'll wait and see what the hell Feige was thinking, and maybe everything will turn out yippie-skippie; but the writing on the wall here seems to point to sitcomming this sequel, and that's a poor, poor idea. "Thursday night, watch Steve try to figure out how to use one of those newfangled smartphones! Hilarity and hijinks ensue as Steve takes Sharon Carter out ballroom dancing, Copa style! Sam Wilson: 'Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis! ....I mean, Steve!' (cue canned laughter) Thursday night at 8, right here on ABC!"

Magic 8-Ball sez: Future looks cloudy. Very cloudy.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #109
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

That's why the Russo Brothers make no sense: a well-established pedigree in sitcoms does *not* equal a good resume for a Captain America adventure, imho --- and the humble opinions of lots and lots and lots of other people, clearly. I'll wait and see what the hell Feige was thinking, and maybe everything will turn out yippie-skippie; but the writing on the wall here seems to point to sitcomming this sequel, and that's a poor, poor idea. "Thursday night, watch Steve try to figure out how to use one of those newfangled smartphones! Hilarity and hijinks ensue as Steve takes Sharon Carter out ballroom dancing, Copa style! Sam Wilson: 'Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis! ....I mean, Steve!' (cue canned laughter) Thursday night at 8, right here on ABC!"

Magic 8-Ball sez: Future looks cloudy. Very cloudy.
I'm as skeptical as most on this board, but the above bolded statement is an inaccurate description of the Russo brothers' work. I don't know if you've watched Community or Arrested Development, but their work on both shows can only be described as un-sitcomy.

Shifting POVs, creative camera work, non-linear storytelling, flashbacks and narrative quirks - the Community and AD people don't take the easy way to tell a joke. And they are not afraid of going dark with their characters on a "sitcom". Now, their credentials are definitely weak for a Captain America movie, but they are a part of two of the most boundary pushing sitcoms that have been on network television.

Who knows if this will translate into success. I hope it does. I'm going to try to see the positives in this decision.

ETA: Damn. I see Joe Russo is responsible for Arrested Development's Pier Pressure, my favorite first season episode, and one of my Top 5 Arrested Development episodes ever. *sigh*

Last edited by Suzanne78; 06-07-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #110
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Just because they are TV directors doesn't mean they can't do Cap. Could anyone have pictured the Buffy guy making an Avengers film back in the 90s/early 2000s? Probably not, but he was great. I will give these guys a chance. Obviously, Feige liked what they were selling.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #111
Racetrack
Side-Kick

This looks like an awful choice

Will give Feige the benefit of the doubt, but i have a bad feeling about this. Same feeling as when McG was picked for T4 or Ratner for X3. Worst part is we have to wait 2 years to see how it turns out but my excitment for this movie has gone from sky high to zero.

Racetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #112
Casius--J
Web Master

Its a very odd choice I must say and on paper it doesn't look very good. But I'll keep a very open mind because Marvel have been doing well so far and I'm sure they will only hire directors that share the same vision and passion for the project.

Besides just because they've only done comedy and mainly tv doesn't mean they can't branch out and do something different.

Casius--J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #113
Silvermoth
Avenger

It's an...interesting choice.

It's odd that almost all of Marvel's phase 2 directors are major television talent (besides Shane Black). There's Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones), these guys (Community) and Joss Whedon (Buffy et all)

Oddly enough, these guys would probably be a perfect fit for John Krasinski's Captain America.

Course, that wouldn't actually be Captain America

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #114
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

I think people are way too down on this choice. Sure, this is out of left field seemingly, but that doesn't mean they can't do a good job. Ya'lls are writing them off too soon.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #115
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

I'm not writing them off at all.
This choice makes me very curious.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #116
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think people are way too down on this choice. Sure, this is out of left field seemingly, but that doesn't mean they can't do a good job. Ya'lls are writing them off too soon.
I'm not writing them off at all, either.
I'm just saying that all Marvel Studios' picks so far have made sense....the directors chosen had worked in genres that matched what they were trying to do with their respective movies. I don't diss them because they're in TV (for the record, they've done a couple of feature films); I just question the hell out of the choice because the *only* genre they've done so far is comedy.

And that's a *baffling* genre to be gravitating towards when you're hiring for a Captain America movie.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #117
Ursa
Villainess

The cheapest choice.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #118
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
The cheapest choice.
Or the best pitch.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #119
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Or the best pitch.
Most likely.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #120
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

After the successes of the MCU movies, I'll doubt anyone who thinks Marvel's cheaping out on these Phase II projects. I guess the Russos came in with the best pitch and most enthusiasm for CA 2 and Feige went with them for that primary reason.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #121
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

Right. After the huge success of TA Marvel has no reason to go the cheap route. Feige will have a good reason to choose these guys. So far he chose always the right people started with RDJ over Ken Branagh to Whedon. And I hope he does the right thing again. Even if I can't comprehend the decision at the moment.

IRON MAN III - THOR: THE DARK WORLD - CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #122
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I'm not familiar enough with their work to think one way or another, but I don't have a problem with a television director being brought onboard.

I am however a little disappointed that Joe Johnson was not brought back as I feel his tone was perfect. However, seeing how the film will be set in modern day, perhaps they needed a fresh approach.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #123
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I'm not writing them off and frankly, until we see the movie, we won't know if they'll do a good job or not. I just think it was a strange choice. I have said that I hope they get CBM and MCU veterans to help produce and whatnot, not cause I think they can't do it, but because I want them to put out the best film possible. I'm sure Feige will be there as much as he can and one can only hope they are willing to learn and soak up the wealth of knowledge he will offer them.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #124
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post

I am however a little disappointed that Joe Johnson was not brought back as I feel his tone was perfect. However, seeing how the film will be set in modern day, perhaps they needed a fresh approach.
that's why I'm not too broken up about johnston not returning, I was having a difficult time envisioning how his style for CA would fit in a modern setting, his forte was 1930's period pieces. so he was perfect for the first one, the sequel will necessitate a different approach.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #125
Silvermoth
Avenger

I'm not too broken up by Johnston not returning because to me he just didn't have that energy, that creativity, that's needed for a project like this. I thought the first Captain America could have been much better.

I'm starting to like the idea of Zemo in CA2. It's interesting to have two guys living in the past, trying to reconcile their futures. Especially now that Cap is an Avenger, it's interesting to have an enemy who is also an avenger of a sort.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote