The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Old 02-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #126
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Default Re: You fight well... in the old style. Now you face the Shredder. - The Shredder Thr

If any of you own an art book or making-of book for a recent big budget spectacle movie take a look at alllllllll the different costume designs that were tossed around before the final ones were chosen. It's not like that Shredder suit ws the first concept art someone drew and they went with it. They obviously chose it because they think it looks the best out of alllllll the other ones they mulled over. So, give them a chance to show it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But writing the design off based on a photograph of art work and some toy descriptions seems like an excuse to just go into the movie wanting to dislike it. Sometimes, simpler isn't always better on film. What works in a comic rarely translates exactly the same well on screen when you have lighting and depth to add to it.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #127
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

Default Re: You fight well... in the old style. Now you face the Shredder. - The Shredder Thr

So what if I go into a movie disliking it? I was the king of all the hate parades against the Nick cartoon, but once it aired I completely changed my mind. Same was true for Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men: First Class. If the movie is good, I'll be on here saying I liked it, but I don't like what I see, and I'm going to say so until I'm shown something that changes my mind.

On topic, I really need to look at some TMNT comics. I've only read a handful of issues, and what I did read wasn't very good.

Zaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #128
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Found this nice piece I thought I should share.

Always a fan of harsh red/black contrast. Have you seen the new Street Fighter movie they're making? Follows a similar aesthetic

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 02-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #129
venom892
Got Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaron View Post
So what if I go into a movie disliking it? I was the king of all the hate parades against the Nick cartoon, but once it aired I completely changed my mind. Same was true for Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men: First Class. If the movie is good, I'll be on here saying I liked it, but I don't like what I see, and I'm going to say so until I'm shown something that changes my mind.
I'm with you on this. I'm hating Shredder, however if a still is released and it's good or when the film comes out, it works within it's context, I'll recant my statement. But until then, I'm hating it.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #130
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Always a fan of harsh red/black contrast. Have you seen the new Street Fighter movie they're making? Follows a similar aesthetic
I think you mean series. Looks pretty impressive so far. Can't wait for the Trailer.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #131
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I like the cape...makes it more dangerous. It's not like Shredder is going to grab the cape with his bare hands....he's not stupid
Not sure if you ever caught this crappy NBC show called The Cape but check out this clip (start it at 1:55) and you can see that using a cape/cloak as a weapon has the potential to look great from a visual standpoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRDPjVMYKHk

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #132
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
I think you mean series. Looks pretty impressive so far. Can't wait for the Trailer.
Yep yep the series. They were supposed to open it with a telemovie, did they cancel that plan?

Anyway, looks great so far IMO

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #133
Nathan

Quote:
I need to get on that cartoon. I've watched an Episode or two, but it didn't really capture me. I need to get a hold of a batch, and watch like the first 5-6 Episodes in a row.

Quote:
On topic, I really need to look at some TMNT comics. I've only read a handful of issues, and what I did read wasn't very good.
Get your hands on all the IDW comics. It's basically the Spectacular Spider-Man of TMNT. It takes all the good that has come before, and crafts it into a new and exciting world. Until something else comes along, this is a good as it gets.

Last edited by Nathan; 02-03-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #134
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

Quote:
Not sure if you ever caught this crappy NBC show called The Cape but check out this clip (start it at 1:55) and you can see that using a cape/cloak as a weapon has the potential to look great from a visual standpoint.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I don't see that kind of stuff being possible with a metal cape lined with blades, though.

If they do, however, manage to make him do that kind of stuff and not make it look dumb, that would be pretty badass.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #135
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

Quote:
I need to get on that cartoon. I've watched an Episode or two, but it'd didn't really capture me. I need to get a hold of a batch, and watch like the first 5-6 Episodes in a row.
It takes a bit to hook you, and the first few episodes are pretty "villain of the week"-ish, but over time they let each individual turtle develop very distinct personalities, to a degree I've never seen before. Leo isn't just "the leader," he's in love with the idea of leadership. He watches cheesy action cartoons and idolizes characters in leadership roles. Donnie isn't just a nerd, but a socially awkward habitual overthinker who doesn't know how to act around other people. The changed a lot of things, so it's sometimes weird getting used to the new stuff (like April being a teenager) but in the end it usually seems to work out well. (April's age, for instance, actually makes the turtles' friendship with her make a lot more sense, since it's with a fellow teen rather than an adult.)

Quote:
Get your hands on all the IDW comics. It's basically the Spectacular Spider-Man of TMNT. It takes all the good that has come before, and crafts it into a new and exciting world. Until something else comes along, this is a good as it gets.
I'll keep that in mind. I don't remember what it was I did read (it was years ago) but I picked it up because the art was gorgeous, but the writing turned out to be awful.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #136
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
that is the first I've ever seen of that show. My buddy said it was horrible so I didn't bother with it....but the way he used his cape there was cool. I'd like to see Shredder whip his cape from side to side to use it and the blades as a weapon. That would be cool

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #137
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
My buddy said it was horrible so I didn't bother with it
Your buddy was right, don't bother. My wife gave it a shot and she has a much higher ******** tolerance than I do and even she admitted it was pretty awful.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #138
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Your buddy was right, don't bother. My wife gave it a shot and she has a much higher ******** tolerance than I do and even she admitted it was pretty awful.
I thought I might suffer through it on Netflix....I don't even know if it's still available on instant stream or not

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #139
Nathan

Quote:
If any of you own an art book or making-of book for a recent big budget spectacle movie take a look at alllllllll the different costume designs that were tossed around before the final ones were chosen. It's not like that Shredder suit ws the first concept art someone drew and they went with it. They obviously chose it because they think it looks the best out of alllllll the other ones they mulled over. So, give them a chance to show it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But writing the design off based on a photograph of art work and some toy descriptions seems like an excuse to just go into the movie wanting to dislike it.
I don't really believe for a moment that this is the best design they could have come up with. I believe that they just wanted to...

1.) Create something radically different.
2.) That this design fits the best for what direction they are going in with the Shredder.

So far I get the impression that we'll get less skilled Ninja Master, and more military man in power armor. So yes, for that direction that suit would fit best.

Quote:
Sometimes, simpler isn't always better on film. What works in a comic rarely translates exactly the same well on screen when you have lighting and depth to add to it.
Except, we've already got the very first Movie proving that simple works. Plus, whenever something is adapted from the comics, it's never a literal translation. I think that wasn't even worth mentioning at all. We already went through more than enough comic book movies, that show just what changes costume designs undergo, to look good on film, with all the proper lighting and color correction in post.

This whole thing is really simple. It's not about what does and doesn't work. It's about what they want for this Shredder. And so far, I'm not liking their decisions.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #140
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
Super Shredder design was cool
Man was this toy hard to find after the film came out.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #141
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

That suit was awesome, and I was so excited when I originally saw that as a kid.

Then he pretty much committed suicide instead of actually fighting the Turtles. And failed to kill them with his suicide attempt all because he forgot the turtles could swim.

Ugh. Makes me sad to remember what a wasted opportunity Super Shredder was. At least he looked incredibly badass.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #142
RAE072
Samhain

Quote:
I'm already looking forward to the inevitable reboot in the next 10 or 20 years. When we go from this...

back to this.

Quote:
Found this nice piece I thought I should share.

Seeing these fantastic pieces of artwork just makes me weep sad, bitter tears of despair over what we're probably getting in the movie.

Lord Zeddatron of Bladeville and the Black Ops Military Bros.

RAE072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #143
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

quote from the other shredder thread if what the rumors are hinting is true then **** this movie. seriously the whole shredder is krang thing was moronic when the 2000 series did it and that hasn't changed

seriously what is the point of merging two great villains into one character. all it does it reduce shredder to a joke/minor footnote. rather than the true arch enemy he's a bloody costume

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #144
Nathan

At least we still got an awesome Shredder, who was Oroku Saki, before they revealed he was an Utrom all along, in the 2K3 cartoon. Seriously, until that point, he was one of the best Shredder depictions.

But we don't even get fake Oroku Saki. We get Eric Sachs.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #145
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

Quote:
At least we still got an awesome Shredder, who was Oroku Saki, before they revealed he was an Utrom all along, in the 2K3 cartoon. Seriously, until that point, he was one of the best Shredder depictions.

But we don't even get fake Oroku Saki. We get Eric Sachs.

very true, i had never seen the 2k3 series until i grabbed a couple of dvd while on holiday back when they were doing the 4eps per disc releases

so i loved that shredder stopped watched then read what they did and my heart just sank

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #146
P Supreme
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep yep the series. They were supposed to open it with a telemovie, did they cancel that plan?

Anyway, looks great so far IMO

This looks fantastic where is it going to air?

P Supreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #147
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

What does Street Fighter have to do with TMNT???

Old 06-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #148
Nathan

Will we get the true Oroku Saki after all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtleFan View Post

Last edited by Nathan; 06-24-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #149
StevenSeagal
Side-Kick

I wish i hadn't seen that, i didn't want to see what his face looked like. Oh well, yep it seems sachs was just a decoy, we're getting the real shredder. Unless sachs steals all of real shredder's gear including armour but i doubt that's the case.

StevenSeagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #150
Nathan

Crap, sorry. Should have put it in spoilers.