The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Default Re: Is a Shared DC Universe Possible for MOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
That info is really out of date.

Green Lantern bombed since and the plans for the shared universe were canned.

GL was supposed to launch the shared universe.
they need to redo Green Lantern, sans Ryan Reynolds and try again with the shared universe. I just think that the way WB/DC is going about this is wrong. I really hate Nolan's views on superheroes, making them the only hero in their universe. Now I could deal with them SUPPOSEDLY being the only hero in their universe and not know about the others due to them being so busy with their own work that when they finally do cross paths they are shocked to learn there are other heroes in the world. Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a Justice League vs. The Avengers movie...then possibly turn it into a team up movie when a big time enemy comes to town.

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
Rockstar
Banned User

They won't redo it.

They weren't even going to bother redoing Superman till the lawsuit forced them to.

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
They won't redo it.

They weren't even going to bother redoing Superman till the lawsuit forced them to.
I don't know...they might do a new Green Lantern. I didn't hate the first one, but I didn't think it was a masterpiece either. I just think WB could do a helluva lot better of a job making movies than they do...they need to hire directors and producers who were fans of that comic while growing up to do the movies...someone who understands the characters. Not just because the director had a badass movie a few years ago...that means nothing to me

Old 04-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
they need to redo Green Lantern, sans Ryan Reynolds and try again with the shared universe. I just think that the way WB/DC is going about this is wrong. I really hate Nolan's views on superheroes, making them the only hero in their universe. Now I could deal with them SUPPOSEDLY being the only hero in their universe and not know about the others due to them being so busy with their own work that when they finally do cross paths they are shocked to learn there are other heroes in the world. Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a Justice League vs. The Avengers movie...then possibly turn it into a team up movie when a big time enemy comes to town.
That would only work of most of them worked in secret. You know the moment Superman rescues a crashing plane or something, it's going to be massive, Earth-shattering news.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #30
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

I don't see WB redoing Green Lantern. Mainly because they wouldn't know what to do. They could wait for some great director who really wants to tackle the GL mythology, but you could say that about all their DC properties.

The only way I see GL being rebooted would be within the actual Justice League movie, where the GL universe is involved in the storyline.

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #31
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
That would only work of most of them worked in secret. You know the moment Superman rescues a crashing plane or something, it's going to be massive, Earth-shattering news.
true...I could see it working this way. Instead of doing origin stories for all other heroes have them as established heroes and make Superman the newcomer on the block and that could lead up to a Justice League movie

Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #32
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

But there's one problem with that.. Superman is NOT a newcomer. He doesn't come along after every other damn JL member has already debuted.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
But there's one problem with that.. Superman is NOT a newcomer. He doesn't come along after every other damn JL member has already debuted.
true once again...but they seem to be changing everything else so I figure why the hell not

Old 04-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #34
thorstone
Side-Kick

No Superman means no Justice League. Batman isn't required but Superman is.

Last edited by thorstone; 04-04-2012 at 12:05 AM.
thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #35
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
I could give a rat's ass about Batman right now, but as you said, you GOTTA have Superman in a Justice League movie...if you don't have him you might as well just not do the movie

Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #36
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Hate quoting myself but I didn't wanna retype this all over again...so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
When they make The Flash movie, I hope they're smart enough to introduce the concept of the multiverse. No brainer way to lead up to a JL movie and an easy way to bring all the stand alone DC characters that we've seen on screen so far, together.

The way WB is heading with all the stand alone movies, they will need a Crisis to make a JL movie work IMO.
I personally feel The Flash needs to be the one who brings them all together and be the heart of the group.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #37
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
Hate quoting myself but I didn't wanna retype this all over again...so:
I hope we get a Flash or Wonder Woman movie....and I wouldn't mind a CRISIS to bring them all together, I think that would be a good way to do it. I'm just not a very big fan of the non-shared universe idea Nolan has everyone thinking is the way to go. I just don't understand why people wouldn't like them doing crossover movies when it seems the majority of the same people are loving this upcoming Avengers movie....I just don't get it. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman interact together on a daily basis and WB is failing big time to let that be known in the movies.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #38
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

I feel the same way with regards to a non-shared universe. Which is why I believe introducing the concept of a multiverse to bring them all together would be a good way to have these characters exist in a shared cinematic universe as an aftermath to the Crisis.

I don't necessarily want GL to cameo in Superman's movie but it would be nice if they acknowledged each other's existence in the form of a passing news headline and such.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #39
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Couldn't agree more. Batman doesn't need to be in it at all and it would probably benefit not having him as they will most likely face a superhuman threat. Back to the JL movie they were gonna maken altho the script was cack according to reports I didn't get why they didn't just make a JL movie minus Batman seen as though it was the Nolan Batman franchise that was one of the stopping points (plus the writers strike of course).

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #40
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
They could have a great shared universe just with the Superman Family if they wanted. Supergirl, Superboy, Steel, Legion of Super-Heroes, the works.
How could you...? Steel isn't pre-crisis...

Old 04-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #41
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Couldn't agree more. Batman doesn't need to be in it at all and it would probably benefit not having him as they will most likely face a superhuman threat.
That's not stopped them having Hawkeye in the Avengers... Nor has it stopped him contributing in any JL story in which they face a superhuman threat...

I think it'd be a massive shame if they made a JL movie without him.

No, he's not essential to the JL like Superman is. But he's still a character I'd miss. He still adds a dynamic to the story that I feel is a great one.

And i'd really really love to see the relationship between Batman and Superman handled well on the big screen

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #42
Prime
Banned User

I'll say one thing - and yes I say this without seeing a single second of footage from MOS, because I have faith in this aspect - If they do a JL movie and cast a new Superman, I don't want to see it. I rather have no JL movie for the next 10 years or so in this case. Because from everything I've seen and heard, Henry is going to be a fantastic Superman and It would make me sad and mad to see WB piss on that and cast an inferior actor. I don't want to see 2 different Superman co-exist on the big screen at the same time frame.

And honestly, I want to see a GOOD Wonder Woman and Flash movies first. I have no faith in WB pulling off a JL movie at this point, though I think they could pull of a World's Finest movie. But of course, they have to ´´reboot`` Batman first, sigh...

Saying that, I wouldn't mind MOS dropping a few lines that acknowledge the existence of other DC heroes. I really don't see how that would in any way hurt the movie, but Nolan obviously thinks otherwise so I can't see even that much happening. Hope im wrong.

Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #43
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I don't want to see 2 different Superman co-exist on the big screen at the same time frame.
Same. I'm quite happy to wait

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #44
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
That's not stopped them having Hawkeye in the Avengers... Nor has it stopped him contributing in any JL story in which they face a superhuman threat...

I think it'd be a massive shame if they made a JL movie without him.

No, he's not essential to the JL like Superman is. But he's still a character I'd miss. He still adds a dynamic to the story that I feel is a great one.

And i'd really really love to see the relationship between Batman and Superman handled well on the big screen
Don't worry I agree with you I want Batman there all I meant was they could have easily made it without Batman. I actually would rather wait to see one tbh I want a solid Superman trilogy first.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #45
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I think they'd be smart to wait as well.

The Batman franchise might be at it's peak, but it feels like SR and GL have caused problems that require some damage control.

MOS and The Flash provide opportunitites to start doing this IMO.

Besides, they don't have to rush a JL movie just because of Avengers. They should do it when they time is right.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #46
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Leave it alone.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #47
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
I wouldn't mind a smaller scale shared universe.

A smaller scale movie like Supergirl or Superboy that MOS franchise references and shares auxiliary characters with like John Henry Irons or Intergang.
That would actually be cool, and kind of reminds me that the same could happen with the Batman franchise with Robin and Batgirl spin-offs, and with the Green Lantern universe if done right

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #48
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

As a young lad, I was first and foremost a Supes fan. So I bought JLA and World’s Finest comics (along with Action, etc.) because Supes was in them. But even back then, my naïve and uncritical self was aware of a problem. My hero seemed to be getting the short end of the stick.

The ensemble format required “equal time.” So Supes got relegated to only partial participation. Moreover, he was often depowered or went “rogue” or otherwise diminished so as to give other characters something to do. In many scenarios, it seemed obvious that the “full Superman” (as seen in his solo adventures) wouldn’t even need a team to deal with the crisis at hand. TV Tropes refers to this as: This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman. For example, a crucial underwater task that Supes would have no trouble with in his own comic is assigned to Aquaman in order to justify his presence. Likewise, Supes is often as fast as he needs to be – except when he’s teamed up with Flash. At which point, duties where speed is important (often contrived) are handed over to Flash. And Supes, again, has to play second fiddle.

Finally, I started to become aware that the CK persona (with its supporting cast and milieu (e.g., the DP)) was a very important aspect of Superman. But in many JLA stories (with their supervillains focus and ensemble obligations), there was simply no time for CK. Basically, the JL format rewrites much of the classic Superman mythos (and not for the better).

Now, if your favorite hero is, say, Hawkman, I can appreciate the interest in a JL movie. That’s your best shot. But if Supes is your guy, I’m very skeptical that a JL context does any favors to the character. The marketing motivations behind a shared universe are plain enough. But it’s not obvious to me that this breeds particularly good stories (or does right by Supes). The Avengers will be an interesting experiment.

Last edited by Dr.; 04-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #49
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Ah, see. That's why people need to do a Justice League film right. The Justice League should not just be about we need the fastest smartest strongest and most powerful heroes to beat this foe. It should be the coming together of friends and the start of what becomes a familial bond. Not just between Superman and Batman, or Flash and Green Lantern. But Clark Kent to Bruce Wayne, Hal Jordan to Barry Allen. They shouldn't just be codenames and another "cape" they should be brothers.

For that, Clark Kent is a necessity.

If anything, I would say that out of all the heroes that would be featured in a Justice League movie, Superman and Batman could do with the least screen time. People know them, unlike the other characters.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #50
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Make a World's Finest movie first before making a Justice League movie, that way it can work.

No need to just include A-list superheros like Superman, Batman with 10 other B-list heroes in ensemble movie, it would just look ridiculous.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-04-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote