The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - -

As long as it all pays off in Avengers, it's as good as we all hope, it's all gravy

Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #27
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Default Re: The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
As long as it all pays off in Avengers, it's as good as we all hope, it's all gravy
Exactly. That and knowing how Thor returns to Earth.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
DoomsdayApex
Ęzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the Norse's culture and I laughed at a few of the attempts of humor (such as Thor's first run-in with an automobile) but some of the attempts really made my eyes roll.

Momma Thor on Asgard wouldn't put up with Thor smashing cups. She'd just get the belt.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
For the sake of humor, the director and writers made Thor seem more than naive. Take for instance the restaurant scene.

What? Do the Gods not have manners and/or wine & dine like civilized beings?

I know they were just trying to inject humor into the film, but it really made Thor appear like a brainless Viking.
What's to say that isn't a Norse God Prince's idea of civilised? It might not be our idea of a civilised custom, but it could easily be his.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #30
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
But if he spent any extended amount of time on Earth, he probably would have learned who Captain America and Tony Stark were, since they are "celebrities"

And him not knowing who they are informs the forest fight in this film
Have it set before IM then, he can of been on earth and back to Asgard before IM even showed up, he might know who Tong Stark was but he wouldn't know he was IM. As for Cap, he wouldn't be versed up on all earth history and it seems there's only a few people in modern day MCU that remember Cap, the general public don't remember him so I don't see why Thor would know who he is.

I just don't buy it couldn't of had a longer time frame because of the overall plan, it doesn't make sense, he could've been to earth and stranded back in Asgard before any of the other Marvel movies and still worked with Marvel's plan.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #31
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
That's the problem though, they couldn't have it set in the past, because it had to tie into the MCU as a whole. Whilst the whole interconnecting story approach is great, it does inevitably take away the opportunities for the solo movies.

I would have loved to have seen a Thor film set in the middle ages or something. An earlier Ragnarok cycle. Or hopefully in the second film they do spend a lot of time in other realms.
I think he means setting the beginning of the Thor film two years in the past while the ending would have been exactly where it was in the film.

Two years would have been too long IMO just because he would have become too acclimated to Earth. But six months? That would have make a lot more sense.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #32
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmit View Post
Have it set before IM then, he can of been on earth and back to Asgard before IM even showed up, he might know who Tong Stark was but he wouldn't know he was IM. As for Cap, he wouldn't be versed up on all earth history and it seems there's only a few people in modern day MCU that remember Cap, the general public don't remember him so I don't see why Thor would know who he is.

I just don't buy it couldn't of had a longer time frame because of the overall plan, it doesn't make sense, he could've been to earth and stranded back in Asgard before any of the other Marvel movies and still worked with Marvel's plan.
Also would have lended a bit more to Fury's statement in IM saying "You think you're the only superhero?"

At the time....yes he was. No Thor, Cap had been gone for years, Hulk could hardy be considered a hero at that point....etc etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #33
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

I just want to make it clear that I don't think Thor is a bad movie, or even a mediocre movie. It's a very well made movie and very fun to watch over and over again. It's just not at the bottom of the MS film list in terms of my favorites.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 04-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #34
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
I just want to make it clear that I don't think Thor is a bad movie, or even a mediocre movie. It's a very well made movie and very fun to watch over and over again. It's just not at the bottom of the MS film list in terms of my favorites.
Noted from the beginning of this debate.

Your issues with the film are understandable and warranted...I didn't find them unreasonable, even though Thor ranks at the top of my list.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #35
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post

I know you know, but a lot of people have chimed in since then. Just wanted to clarify that I'm not saying it's misgivings took away from my overall enjoyment of the film

Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #36
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the Norse's culture and I laughed at a few of the attempts of humor (such as Thor's first run-in with an automobile) but some of the attempts really made my eyes roll.

Momma Thor on Asgard wouldn't put up with Thor smashing cups. She'd just get the belt.
Did you attend an Asgardian finishing school?

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #37
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post

Your issues with the film are understandable and warranted...I didn't find them unreasonable, even though Thor ranks at the top of my list.
I've lost count on both Cap and Thor viewings.....I watch both every weekend, lost count around 25 on Thor lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #38
liveman789
Side-Punch

I just sort of wish both Thor and Cap got another movie before the Avengers as did Iron Man. About a third of Iron Man 2 was Avengers set up. But he got a whole movie to himself without regarding the Avengers at all in Iron Man 1.

I wish Thor got his second movie before Avengers so that we could explore Asgard and the nine realms more, and Cap getting a second movie so that he could have more adventures in the past instead of having a montage of events and them freezing him immediately.

Each getting two movies allows the first to be all about them, then having the second to hint towards the Avengers.

That said, Thor is still probably my favorite of the five films to date.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #39
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I've lost count on both Cap and Thor viewings.....I watch both every weekend, lost count around 25 on Thor lol
I've watched Cap only three times. Thor more than I can count. The most recent and rewarding was with a bunch of friends who had never seen or heard of Thor ever. They loved the movie, and now every time we go out to dinner or the bar, one of them always shouts "ANOTHER!" when finishing his drink.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #40
Caboose
Side-Kick

Thor is a movie you can watch if you just want to have a nice time. It's not complicated, it's easy to follow and just has a fun vibe. It's what a popcorn movie should be.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #41
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Did you attend an Asgardian finishing school?
TECHNICALLY smashing a CUP is an Italian thing. The Norse drank out of HORNS...less breakable in battle dotcha know.
(someone STOLE my drinking horn. I had a horn BOOT on it. the boot allowed the horn to stand while full. which wasn't often. lol)

....to every King.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
liveman789
Side-Punch

What Thor did right was most of the dramatic scenes. Like the exchange between Loki and Thor when Thor is held captive, and the part where mortal Thor approaches The Destroyer while apologizing to Loki.

Plus, I think Thor might have the best superhero movie score to date, along with the original Spiderman Trilogy theme.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #43
Gamma Burst
Banned User

So, when are we gonna get a Thor centric spot?

Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #44
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveman789 View Post
I just sort of wish both Thor and Cap got another movie before the Avengers as did Iron Man. About a third of Iron Man 2 was Avengers set up. But he got a whole movie to himself without regarding the Avengers at all in Iron Man 1.

I wish Thor got his second movie before Avengers so that we could explore Asgard and the nine realms more, and Cap getting a second movie so that he could have more adventures in the past instead of having a montage of events and them freezing him immediately.

Each getting two movies allows the first to be all about them, then having the second to hint towards the Avengers.

That said, Thor is still probably my favorite of the five films to date.
THAT my friend happens after Avengers. Not sure which comes first IM3 or Thor 2 but they SAY 2013 for Thor2 and marvel has said they want to explore the nine realms.

....to every King.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #45
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

That's where Branagh's influence was most evident. I've said many times that Branagh was the perfect choice to direct Thor, his Shakespearean background lended itself perfectly to the theme of family tragedy in Thor. Hopefully Alan Taylor is able to continue that vein in Thor 2

Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #46
liveman789
Side-Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
THAT my friend happens after Avengers. Not sure which comes first IM3 or Thor 2 but they SAY 2013 for Thor2 and marvel has said they want to explore the nine realms.
Yeah I know, and I can't wait for that sequel. I just thought it'd be kind better if that happened before hand. But it doesn't really matter to me either way too much, as like I said I loved Thor and will probably love the sequels just as much.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #47
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
So, when are we gonna get a Thor centric spot?
wish I knew lol Lovin the widow clip tho right now. Talk about somethin' to get ya over humpday.

....to every King.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #48
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Both were great, and I rate TFA a little higher than Thor, but I agree they were a bit rushed in light of Avengers coming out so soon after their release.

I think we'll get much better sequels because there won't be as much of a time crunch.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #49
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveman789 View Post
Yeah I know, and I can't wait for that sequel. I just thought it'd be kind better if that happened before hand. But it doesn't really matter to me either way too much, as like I said I loved Thor and will probably love the sequels just as much.
I'm more curious where Loki will be kept and how he's punished right now. but I can wait for that lol.

....to every King.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #50
liveman789
Side-Punch

Based on the Widow clip, I have a feeling we're going to get a clip of each character's initial involvement in the Avengers initiative.

Closed Thread