The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 7

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 6

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,156
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well if you want to see what a full blown romance with Lana could be like, I suggest Smallville.lol

Honestly, I'm somewhat against the idea of giving importance to characters that have never been viewed as such in the comics and Lana as far as comics have said, was someone that Clark mainly didn't have a thing for most of their comic book history as far as I'm aware of, and when she became an adult, well let's just say that a lot of her actions concerning Superman/Clark weren't admirable.
:up:

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,137
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Plus, I'd argue that from a marketing and profitable standpoint, going down the route of nurturing a on screen romance between Superman/Clark and Lois in this franchise would benefit the filmmakers if done right since fans of the relationship certainly won't be getting what they want in the mainstream comics anymore, and SV was the last live action version where the couple was shown and by the time MOS released, it would have been 2 years since.

herolee10 is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick
 
Mindreaper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 966
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

I'm not saying that there should never be chemestry between Lois and Superman, nor am I suggesting she shouldn't be a love interest at all. As far as MoS goes, I just want the story to focus on Superman and gaining a friendship with Lois rather than a romantic relationship. Though in sequels, I would like for there to be veriety. To me, there is a lack of really good female characters in the Superman universe and I see this as an opportunity to build on that.

__________________
The Batman

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Mindreaper21 is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,137
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
I'm not saying that there should never be chemestry between Lois and Superman, nor am I suggesting she shouldn't be a love interest at all. As far as MoS goes, I just want the story to focus on Superman and gaining a friendship with Lois rather than a romantic relationship. Though in sequels, I would like for there to be veriety. To me, there is a lack of really good female characters in the Superman universe and I see this as an opportunity to build on that.
If Amanda Waller wasn't wasted on GL, I wouldn't have minded her being in MOS; she'd be a great way to introduce things like the Suicide Squad and Checkmate into the MOS Universe, thus allowing them to have a loophole in bringing in other DC characters that aren't necessarily tied to Superman but that aren't well established heroes like Batman or whatnot.

herolee10 is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
EtherMagic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 828
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Just watched 300 again, and it had me thinking...


What do you guys think about blood being in the battle scenes in MOS? I'm really wondering if Snyder will use blood, and if so how much of it? Personally I think a good amount of blood would kick ass, 300 was a straight up blood bath, just wondering how much he would be able to get away with?


The only blood I ever remember seeing as far as Sups (non-comics) was in Sups 2 when Reeve lost his Powers and was punched in the mouth in the diner.

EtherMagic is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,745
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper View Post
Everything looks good except for #8. I am sick to death of Lois being a love interest. It's the same old boring story thats been told for years. She should be nothing more than a friend. Otherwise we would end up with that abomination in SR. I'd rather a Kryptonian love interest be created in a sequel.
SR was actually good. In terms of the Supes/Lois relationship, it was framed – quite deliberately – as bittersweet and unworkable. So the notion that this constitutes “feel good” romance for the female demographic is, I think, a tad overstated.

To a certain extent, I agree that most all of the Supes/Lois “configurations” (from the chaste flirtations of the 1940s to marriage) have been explored. So the familiarity is a bit of a liability. But as Hope said, this is a reboot. Everything is being reset – including Lois Lane. If they established “Jane Smith” as a different love interest, we’d all know that this was “Lois” anyway.

If my memory serves, Superman and Lois have never shared a proper kiss in any of the five “Donnerverse” movies. Either she’s unconscious or he is (or CK is administering the amnesia effect ). Maybe that’s what’s been missing all this time: an old fashioned, I’m-crazy-about-you, romantic kiss.

Dr. is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,156
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
Just watched 300 again, and it had me thinking...

What do you guys think about blood being in the battle scenes in MOS? I'm really wondering if Snyder will use blood, and if so how much of it? Personally I think a good amount of blood would kick ass, 300 was a straight up blood bath, just wondering how much he would be able to get away with?

The only blood I ever remember seeing as far as Sups (non-comics) was in Sups 2 when Reeve lost his Powers and was punched in the mouth in the diner.
I'm assuming your referring to blood in a Supes vs Zod battle.

I'm not opposed to their blows being strong enough to draw blood/mark each other. The level of invulnerability is not all that important to me.

But I would hope even if it were the case, that a) it would be a big moment, when Supes sees his blood for the first time and b) it's not too much... I don't wanna see a blood bath, no.

I think that looking dishevelled and 'beaten' is important in emphasising the drama of an action scene, but it can be achieved in other ways (messed up hair, pained facial expressions, careful movements, rubble and dust over hair and clothing etc)

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 04-05-2012 at 08:29 AM.
hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 32,815
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

It's going to be PG:13 so a blood bath won't be allowed.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Bleeding and beaten-up superbeings would be a nice aspect of the edgier take on Superman as well as Superman himself seing his own blood for the first time could make a good scene.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
EtherMagic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 828
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It's going to be PG:13 so a blood bath won't be allowed.

And that is exactly what I am wondering. No so much a blood bath, but when violence is in a Snyder film, blood seems to go hand and hand with it. I'm not to familiar with how the rating system works as far as PG-13 (and what defines how much violence is allowed), and that's the exact reason I asked, just a wonder with how much Snyder could get away with here.


Will there be blood flying through the air when/if there is blood, or will the blood just be cosmetic to their faces?


Can anyone remember a PG-13 movie being really bloody?

EtherMagic is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,397
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

I'd like to see Lois already dating someone before Superman shows up...then when she catches a glimpse of the Man of Steel she dumps her boyfriend like a hot potato

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
EtherMagic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 828
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Bleeding and beaten-up superbeings would be a nice aspect of the edgier take on Superman as well as Superman himself seing his own blood for the first time could make a good scene.

Exactly my thought on why I thought of the blood in the first place. This is supposed to be a more realistic take on the Character, and just the style and more adult like approach to MOS in general screams for more realistic battle scenes as-well.


Realism would call for tad bit bloodier battle scenes as apposed to simply dirtied up faces.


.


Last edited by EtherMagic; 04-05-2012 at 09:04 AM.
EtherMagic is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick
 
Mindreaper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 966
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
SR was actually good. In terms of the Supes/Lois relationship, it was framed – quite deliberately – as bittersweet and unworkable. So the notion that this constitutes “feel good” romance for the female demographic is, I think, a tad overstated.

To a certain extent, I agree that most all of the Supes/Lois “configurations” (from the chaste flirtations of the 1940s to marriage) have been explored. So the familiarity is a bit of a liability. But as Hope said, this is a reboot. Everything is being reset – including Lois Lane. If they established “Jane Smith” as a different love interest, we’d all know that this was “Lois” anyway.

If my memory serves, Superman and Lois have never shared a proper kiss in any of the five “Donnerverse” movies. Either she’s unconscious or he is (or CK is administering the amnesia effect ). Maybe that’s what’s been missing all this time: an old fashioned, I’m-crazy-about-you, romantic kiss.
Actually, I was refering to the super-love child in SR.

__________________
The Batman

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Mindreaper21 is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,707
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Yeah how much blood is allowed in PG-13 films?

LibidoLoca is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Technically it's not human-blood although I imagine the same color. Dunno if that makes a difference.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,744
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

I don't think we need to see masses of blood. A Superman film does not need to be a gory film - at least, not at this point. Perhaps if Doomsday ever makes an appearance in future things will change

I'd be happy though with a super-powered fighting with Zod leading to at least some slight bleeding - maybe from the nose, or a split lip kinda thing. Something which will shock Superman, who has probably never felt pain or seen his own blood until that point. And it will give him some idea of how powerful Zod is, and how powerful he can be given that he possesses the same powers as Zod but has probably always been fairly constrained with what he can do.

elgaz is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
EtherMagic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 828
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Yeah how much blood is allowed in PG-13 films?
Well, I did some research and found this quote on a "Film Forum" when asked about blood in a PG-13 film...

"If done correctly you could even get away with PG if there is only Violence in the film.

Like the TMNT movie that came out back in '07, it had tons of sword fighting and violence in it, but it just got a PG, so I wouldn't worry about bloodshed as an instant R.

You need a combination of violence, language, and adult content (frank sexual discussion, drug references, alcohol or tobacco consumption) to get an R. Violence alone won't get it, unless it's Hostel level stuff that is ubiquitous through the film."


From what I read, Snyder, if he wishes to do so, can get away with a good amount of bloodshed in MOS and still keep it at the PG-13 rating required.


Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I don't think we need to see masses of blood. A Superman film does not need to be a gory film - at least, not at this point. Perhaps if Doomsday ever makes an appearance in future things will change

I'd be happy though with a super-powered fighting with Zod leading to at least some slight bleeding - maybe from the nose, or a split lip kinda thing. Something which will shock Superman, who has probably never felt pain or seen his own blood until that point. And it will give him some idea of how powerful Zod is, and how powerful he can be given that he possesses the same powers as Zod but has probably always been fairly constrained with what he can do.

BINGO! You took the thoughts right out of my head!


Last edited by EtherMagic; 04-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
EtherMagic is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,658
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

I don't mind Superman bleeding, but no, it doesn't need to be a bloodbath like 300 or Immortals or Kill Bill.

the Superman: Doomsday animated film showed Superman bleeding from the fight with Doomsday ( and Lois' worried look on her face ). it was done tastefully in that film and was also used to show Lois' concern for Superman and that Superman was in legit trouble.

I won't mind if blood is handled in that manner in MOS.

XEdge is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It's going to be PG:13 so a blood bath won't be allowed.
That's true. Luckily there are censors who will keep our children from knowing there's blood inside living creatures.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,744
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

On a similar topic, if Superman is bleeding then he's obviously been cut/injured ......... so how quick should he heal? Should the cut seal itself up (Wolverine style) within a few seconds, as it was often shown in Smallville, or would he need to fly up into direct sunlight to achieve that - like in Superman Returns?

Or should his healing ability not be as powerful as previously shown, and it takes a while for him to recover from injuries?

Whilst part of me wants to see his powers at their peak - and thus have him heal fairly quickly - I don't want him to heal so quickly that his injuries really have no impact or effect on him.

elgaz is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 32,815
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
That's true. Luckily there are censors who will keep our children from knowing there's blood inside living creatures.
Yes, I too dislike the ratings system. I think it's more harmful for children to see violence without blood than with.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #24
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,744
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Don't be silly. The censors obviously think it's perfectly fine that children should have it ingrained into them from an early age that you can use all manner of weapons, carry out kung-fu and various other attacks on enemies, and there will be absolutely no consequences because no-one bleeds

Don't dare let them hear a curse word though!!

elgaz is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,658
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
On a similar topic, if Superman is bleeding then he's obviously been cut/injured ......... so how quick should he heal? Should the cut seal itself up (Wolverine style) within a few seconds, as it was often shown in Smallville, or would he need to fly up into direct sunlight to achieve that - like in Superman Returns?

Or should his healing ability not be as powerful as previously shown, and it takes a while for him to recover from injuries?

Whilst part of me wants to see his powers at their peak - and thus have him heal fairly quickly - I don't want him to heal so quickly that his injuries really have no impact or effect on him.
I think he should heal up quickly.

XEdge is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.