The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #526
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Default Re: The Loki/Tom Hiddleston Thread. We need Loki-Love. - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Anyone else bothered by Loki's final line of dialogue? Hated that he ended his tirade with a silly one-liner.
I liked it. Not only did it suggest that Loki is something of a pragmatist that knows when he's beat, rather than going down fighting (he lacks conviction, as Coulson says), it's also something of an olive-branch, which on a very early level might set the stage for his rehabilitation in future films.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #527
DACrowe
Side-Kick

On a lighter, and more Loki-related, note: Do you think he'll have a major role in Thor 2?

He's clearly going to be in it, but will it be just a cameo or will he be the main baddie again. I think after two movies of Loki wickedness they may want to try something new, but Hiddleston is so good and entertaining the role, I don't know if they will. I could see them merely introducing Enchantress as a likeminded character who is in love with Loki and breaks him out of whatever prison Odin puts him in. Cue Loki's Revenge...again. Perhaps, he'll bring Jane to Asgard and that's how they'll get her in the movie without having to spend much time on Earth. One can hope.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #528
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

They're definitely going to keep him a little more sidelined and choose a new main baddie...though I definitely see the implications and consequences of Loki's actions affecting him and Asgard in Thor 2...especially since the Other warned him of what would happen if he failed.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #529
Nathan

I hope Loki starts out as the main baddie again, but screws up in such a big way, that realizes he has to help stop whatever it is he unleashed.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #530
The Guard
Side-Kick

"Subtle" is not the word I would use about Hiddelston's performance as Loki, nor would I begin to call it "layered". The reason his performance works at all is because he embraces over the top elements. There's not a lot of subtlety and nuance to it, though there is some. Most of his emotions are very broad in this film.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 05-08-2012 at 03:22 PM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #531
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
"Subtle" is not the word I would use about Hiddelston's performance as Loki. The reason his performance works at all is because he embraces over the top elements. There's not a lot of subtlety and nuance to it, though there is some. Most of his emotions are very broad in this film.
Agreed. If anything his portrayal in Thor was more subtle. Avengers has him in full on arrogant "I'm better than all of you" mode. His pride, jealousy and resentment has all gone to his head....and then he gets brought back down to earth in more ways than one after having his ass handed to him.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #532
Mr.?
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So basically, instead of Loki planning to take over Asgard and then attacking it in the climax, open Thor 2 with Asgard in ruin, Loki having won and Thor being forced to escape to Earth maybe? I think that would be a bad ass way to start.
I like this. Maybe
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Thanos
sends an army to help Loki take over Asgard and get the tesseract.

Mr.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #533
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I know everyone's all excited about Thanos, but let's keep him relatively behind the scenes until he shows up in Avengers 2 or 3.

Thanos isn't really a Thor villain and by making him the villain in THOR II, they would be short changing actual Thor villains.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #534
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.? View Post
I like this. Maybe
Thanos
sends an army to help Loki take over Asgard and get the tesseract.
Realize this is a question coming from a non-comic reader...
How much would Thanos be willing to trust Loki after Loki failed to get him the Tesseract/his failure on Earth? Would he really want to help Loki take over Asgard in that scenario? Or would he want to punish him (like The Other said he would) instead?

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #535
parkerpete
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post:
Oy vey. There is nothing I can say that many haven't already said. I consider Ledger's performance to be overrated, a one trick pony that won an Oscar on the merit of death, but that is a whole different discussion. Suffice to say, I enjoyed the layers of Hiddleston's Loki more than Ledger's performance. It's just an opinion. They're like asses. We all have them and they're full of ****, so let's just move on and discuss the awesomeness that was Hiddleston, eh?
Some a**holes are more full of **** than others.

Quote:
DACrowe:
Not to beat a dead horse, but you really believe he only won an Oscar and his iteration of the character has been put on lists with Hannibal Lecter and Darth Vader solely because Ledger died? I won't deny it helped the politking, but I think that performance would have caught fire even if he lived just Javier Bardem did in 2007 and Christoph Waltz did in 2009.
An appropriate comparison. I understand why some people don't like DK or think it has been massively overrated. The movie has its flaws and there are certain things (monologues that underline the themes too heavily, Bale's growly voice, Joker's inexplicable ability to fill Police ferries with hundreds of drums of gasoline IN THE MIDST OF A TERRORIST/BOMB SCARE CRISIS, and don't even get me STARTED on Harvey's ability to walk around and do shots of whiskey without dying of shock) that you're either going to go with or not.

But Ledger's performance is certainly competitive with Waltz and Bardem's villain roles, even if you don't put him at the top. And I would say he is superior to them in the sense that he seemed to completely disappear into that character's voice and mannerisms. No one would know that was the same guy from 'Broke Back Mountain' if they weren't told. DK was a massive production featuring some of the finest actors working today, and he utterly dominated the movie.

This doesn't detract one iota from Hiddleston's great turn as Loki, but I think there needs to be some perspective. 'Avengers' is mostly about the heroes and their evolution into a team. Loki is great fun but he isn't essential to the narrative in the same way as Joker is to DK, and as a result, I don't think the performance is quite as demanding.

Plus, think about how bad Nolan is at humor and how much Ledger managed to add unscripted... Like when he's looking for Harvey Dent among the fundraiser guests, and he grabs the one guest's head and turns it, like he's looking right through it, and says, 'no.' Totally improvised, completely electric.

parkerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #536
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

A couple ABC News videos with Tom (don't think they've been posted) - 2nd video has a Yoda impression and a song:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #537
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Honestly thought, the thing that I wonder is, can the MCU version of Loki really find redemption like Tom has been mentioning in his interviews in regards to future storylines that he'd like to see Loki go through?

The person has been shown being capable of killing anyone or anything mercilessly, with delight I might add, so it's hard at times to think that Loki could ever find redemption in this version.

BUT, then again, I guess if the likes of Anakin Skywalker and BW (as her bloody past was hinted in the film) can turn around, then I guess I shouldn't entirely quit on Loki just yet huh?lol

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #538
Bren
Forevernoob

Considering he's quite insane at this point (although looked a bit better at the end of Avengers);

1. He's already unbalanced due to his parental truth being outed in Thor
2. I think he's mentally manipulated by the Staff in Avengers
3. I think he was cracking under the pressure of the mission, and repercussions if he failed.

I think take that away (eventually) and he could find redemption, yes. Of course, I wouldn't mind his redemption ending up being a self-serving trick!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #539
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
2. I think he's mentally manipulated by the Staff in Avengers
I think you might be right. Remember how aggressive Bruce Banner was acting when he was holding it?

The Curious Stranger:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- Your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #540
Scarlettess
and a 1..2..3..4

I had another dream last night involving Loki. It was awesome(and confusing but eh..)! He was trying to blow up a theatre or something....don't exactly remember, only there were a few that were there that he despised, and me and some 'others', Sif was there, I can't remember who else. Apparantly I had a daughter (apparently called Anne Marie) who he was in love with....WHAT? and I was in love with him. Anyway me and some 'others' (Sif was there....I can't remember who else) managed to convince him to not blow up the theatre and come and watch it with us. he hugged me and pecked me on my cheek....then when we went in the theatre we were shuffling through these people and Loki was like telling them to move or be beheaded, and I was like 'just come and sit'. then I don't remember the rest....I remember him saying a remark at the end of the show, something funny like he didn't know humans were so capable or such entertainment or something then I might have woken up....

yes i have wierd dreams....lol.

edit: gonig to see avengers for the 2nd time in a bit, can't wait to see Loki on screen again.

‎ Part of the beauty of Spider-Man is he's covered head to toe, you can't see his skin colour or sexual orientation, and what's important is that he's a hero. He stands for the underdog and those that need protecting." - Andrew Garfield
Doctor: Ooh baby I'm beating out a samba!
Scarlettess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #541
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettess View Post
I had another dream last night involving Loki. It was awesome(and confusing but eh..)! He was trying to blow up a theatre or something....don't exactly remember, only there were a few that were there that he despised, and me and some 'others', Sif was there, I can't remember who else. Apparantly I had a daughter (apparently called Anne Marie) who he was in love with....WHAT? and I was in love with him. Anyway me and some 'others' (Sif was there....I can't remember who else) managed to convince him to not blow up the theatre and come and watch it with us. he hugged me and pecked me on my cheek....then when we went in the theatre we were shuffling through these people and Loki was like telling them to move or be beheaded, and I was like 'just come and sit'. then I don't remember the rest....I remember him saying a remark at the end of the show, something funny like he didn't know humans were so capable or such entertainment or something then I might have woken up....

yes i have wierd dreams....lol.

edit: gonig to see avengers for the 2nd time in a bit, can't wait to see Loki on screen again.
*Slowly backs away from Scarlettess*

I think me and my mom will be seeing it a 3rd time this weekend (both of us don't know if we can wait till June - when my sister moves home - to see it again *lol*)

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #542
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
On a lighter, and more Loki-related, note: Do you think he'll have a major role in Thor 2?

He's clearly going to be in it, but will it be just a cameo or will he be the main baddie again. I think after two movies of Loki wickedness they may want to try something new, but Hiddleston is so good and entertaining the role, I don't know if they will. I could see them merely introducing Enchantress as a likeminded character who is in love with Loki and breaks him out of whatever prison Odin puts him in. Cue Loki's Revenge...again. Perhaps, he'll bring Jane to Asgard and that's how they'll get her in the movie without having to spend much time on Earth. One can hope.
To me, it seems like the clear way to move forward is to give Loki a redemptive arc. We've seen a film of him turning bad. We've seen a film of him BEING bad. I think the next place to go with the character is him becoming good(ish) again, perhaps teaming up with Thor to take on a greater threat, Surtur perhaps.

Tom Hiddleston has said that the questioning of whether or not Loki is beyond saving is one that interests him moving forward into the sequels. And the idea that there's still some good in him somewhere was pretty heavily foreshadowed in The Avengers. And it would give him something to do without retreading old ground.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #543
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post

He'll have more than a cameo for sure...but he'll be sidelined for the most part to make way for another villain.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #544
D.P.
Banned User

Has anyone else noticed that the Mind (blue) Infinity Gem is what powered his new staff?

Or has that already been talked about to death? lol.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #545
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the Mind (blue) Infinity Gem is what powered his new staff?

Or has that already been talked about to death? lol.
It has not been confirmed, but I was a major speculator of that theory.

I've said it in other threads: until MS shows me otherwise, that is the mind gem in his staff, no question.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #546
D.P.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post

I've said it in other threads: until MS shows me otherwise, that is the mind gem in his staff, no question.

Quote:
Allows the user to greatly strengthen and enhance mental and psionic power and access the thoughts and dreams of other beings. Backed by the Power Gem, the Mind Gem can access all minds in existence simultaneously. When searching for it, the Illuminati apparently discovered that the Mind Gem was the personification of the universal subconscious.
I'd have to agree, especially since it was hinted during the movie that there was a greater force behind Loki. We all know that to be true now because of the credits scene.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #547
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post

Definitely, as soon as I saw the promo poster with loki and his staff, I immediately posted a picture of the infinity gems and brought it up. I too believe it's the mind gem until other wise stated. and tehy didn't nothing but strengthen that fact when they showed you know who mid-credits

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #548
Scarlettess
and a 1..2..3..4

yeah when the pics first released of Loki with that staff the speculation was going round....but then the infinity gauntlet is in Odin's vault right? of course its not out of the question that either the infinity gauntlet was missing this to start with....or somehow Loki broke in and got it...I believe its the former though as the latter wouldnt really make much sense since who gives Loki that staff. Also I noticed just getting back, when he's telling the people to kneel and bangs his staff i swear an almost blue circle appears....like its from the staff. plus the whole
controlling hawkeye and the others as well as possibly banner on the helicarrier would make sense. and the speculation that Thanos had some manipulation over Loki as well. With what the Other
said to Loki though makes me think that in Thor 2, something related to that will definately happen, Loki will I guess be trying to run and Thor would have to save him, in turn them both working together to defeat them, hinting at a possible redemption for Loki, and save that for Thor 3 when they go against Surtur.

‎ Part of the beauty of Spider-Man is he's covered head to toe, you can't see his skin colour or sexual orientation, and what's important is that he's a hero. He stands for the underdog and those that need protecting." - Andrew Garfield
Doctor: Ooh baby I'm beating out a samba!
Scarlettess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #549
EternalMaster
Side-Kick

If it is truly the Mind Gem, why did Loki need to touch people's hearts with the staff to control them? The need to touch the heart was not arbitrary because Tony mechanical heart prevented control.

Barton later described the possession as being pulled out of his body and having something else stuffed in.

None of this sounds like the Mind Gem, which would simply enhance the user's own power. Loki wasn't even in possession of the staff when it was causing the Avengers to quarrel with each other.

If it IS the Mind Gem, then the movies have changed a LOT about it.

EternalMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #550
Mr. Immortal
Homo s. supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalMaster View Post
If it is truly the Mind Gem, why did Loki need to touch people's hearts with the staff to control them? The need to touch the heart was not arbitrary because Tony mechanical heart prevented control.

Barton later described the possession as being pulled out of his body and having something else stuffed in.

None of this sounds like the Mind Gem, which would simply enhance the user's own power. Loki wasn't even in possession of the staff when it was causing the Avengers to quarrel with each other.

If it IS the Mind Gem, then the movies have changed a LOT about it.
Which is probably for the best... if we're talking about a threat that the Big Four and some change can handle it's likely better that they tone down the gems a bit.