The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 04-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #126
Godzilla2000
The Black Blur

Default Re: The Loki/Tom Hiddleston Thread. We need Loki-Love. - Part 1

You know, I just feel really bad for Thor in the Avengers. Loki was raised as a brother to himself yes, but he has a sworn duty as heir to the throne of Asgard to protect the nine realms, even against his own adopted brother as the case is. To be a ruler of Asgard is to make very tough decisions, even if that would mean having to kill Loki himself to stop a great evil. I believe in the comics Thor has been pushed to that very extreme, if you comic readers can back me up here. It would be interesting down the line if Thor has to kill Loki as a last resort, of course trying to reason with him first. I know it sounds rather dark, but the dramatic possibilities of the aftermath are enticing to me.

- Natural or not at all. I believe in effortless beauty that requires no work at all.

- The chill of Winter is easier to deal with than the chill of some people.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #127
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

/\ They're both at really intriguing ends. Loki is understandable, he just... becomes a little too manic. Thor is, until what I've read (depends on delivery), trying to hold the family together and respond to his duties, but due to Loki is unable to do so. Basically that first scene with Thor? THAT is pitch-perfect.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #128
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
I'm just reading that line as an adoptee. All depends on delivery. But it is a very low blow that in my mind even does Thor a disservice. But it's also the question of how it's handled. I mean in these family molds everything else is said, but that's one area not many would think of going to. It just doesn't sound right/real.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Early in the film when Thor and Loki had their first confrontation it was Loki who kept pounding away at the fact that he was adopted, not Thor. Loki has repeatedly stressed that they are not biological brothers. On top of that, Loki actually killed his brother outright in Thor; only Odin saved Thor and revived him. Loki never expressed any remorse for murdering his own brother and in fact seemed quite upset that Thor didn't stay dead.

In The Avengers, Loki again did his best to kill Thor, at one point knifing the Thunderer in the side. He dropped Thor out of the Helicarrier in a cage from five miles up "...to see if we're really immortal." Add to Loki's ledger slaughtering Coulson in front of Thor, killing thousands of human beings and torturing an innocent man. Even after all of that viciousness and brutality, Thor still tried to defend and protect Loki, still loved him and took him back to Asgard when his teammates might rather have killed him outright for all of his crimes.

While I do get where you are coming from, comparing Loki's attempts to murder Thor over two movies, his killing of countless humans and his own biological father and the destruction he caused to that one remark Thor made, outside of Loki's hearing, Loki comes off as the worse of the two. By far.

And oh yeah, Thor threw Loki off Stark Tower, but only after Loki threw Stark off first and knifed Thor. Loki earned that. Had Thor turned the other cheek, Loki would have stuck a shiv in it.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #129
Godzilla2000
The Black Blur

Oh I could see a scene in a future Thor movie where Thor is begging Loki to stop the madness he's perpetuating or he'll have to resort to something he'll regret doing to his brother, with Loki possibly pricking Thor with a few verbal barbs of the "I'm your brother, you don't have the guts to kill me." variety. Of course Thor, due to whatever insurmountable circumstances, would have to kill Loki to prevent the destruction of the nine realms. The aftermath of that decision would be quite dramatic to say the least because despite Loki's evil having to do what he had to do to honor his duties would be a very huge emotional moment for him.

- Natural or not at all. I believe in effortless beauty that requires no work at all.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #130
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Early in the film when Thor and Loki had their first confrontation it was Loki who kept pounding away at the fact that he was adopted, not Thor. Loki has repeatedly stressed that they are not biological brothers. On top of that, Loki actually killed his brother outright in Thor; only Odin saved Thor and revived him. Loki never expressed any remorse for murdering his own brother and in fact seemed quite upset that Thor didn't stay dead.

In The Avengers, Loki again did his best to kill Thor, at one point knifing the Thunderer in the side. He dropped Thor out of the Helicarrier in a cage from five miles up "...to see if we're really immortal." Add to Loki's ledger slaughtering Coulson in front of Thor, killing thousands of human beings and torturing an innocent man. Even after all of that viciousness and brutality, Thor still tried to defend and protect Loki, still loved him and took him back to Asgard when his teammates might rather have killed him outright for all of his crimes.

While I do get where you are coming from, comparing Loki's attempts to murder Thor over two movies, his killing of countless humans and his own biological father and the destruction he caused to that one remark Thor made, outside of Loki's hearing, Loki comes off as the worse of the two. By far.

And oh yeah, Thor threw Loki off Stark Tower, but only after Loki threw Stark off first and knifed Thor. Loki earned that. Had Thor turned the other cheek, Loki would have stuck a shiv in it.
While for Loki it comes out of a more insecurity place. I mean, this guy is off his rocker. Thor's original line came off as something Angelus would say to Connor lol ('Angel' reference). Now seeing context and Thor continuing to stand by him, yeah - they're still getting it right.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #131
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
You know, I just feel really bad for Thor in the Avengers. Loki was raised as a brother to himself yes, but he has a sworn duty as heir to the throne of Asgard to protect the nine realms, even against his own adopted brother as the case is. To be a ruler of Asgard is to make very tough decisions, even if that would mean having to kill Loki himself to stop a great evil. I believe in the comics Thor has been pushed to that very extreme, if you comic readers can back me up here. It would be interesting down the line if Thor has to kill Loki as a last resort, of course trying to reason with him first. I know it sounds rather dark, but the dramatic possibilities of the aftermath are enticing to me.
Yes Thor has indeed killed Loki before in the comics, he sucked all the life force out of him if I remember correctly.

Oh and the consequences were pretty severe, if I'm not mistaken he was exiled for killing another "Asgardian".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post
I think you guys are looking WAY to much into that line.

Thor is just thinking out loud and at odds with how someone he grew up with and cared so much for could do such horrible things. Its not some greater commentary to him not loving his brother.
Agreed, but there's really on one person who's looking into that line way too much.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 04-15-2012 at 07:34 PM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #132
Godzilla2000
The Black Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yes Thor has indeed killed Loki before in the comics, he sucked all the life force out of him if I remember correctly.
I don't recall where I read this, but didn't Loki get decapitated by Thor throwing Mjolnir at his head too? Maybe this was an early run comic where this happened?

Quote:
Oh and the consequences were pretty severe, if I'm not mistaken he was exiled for killing another "Asgardian".
Now that would be an interesting thing to see in a movie, Thor being exiled because of killing Loki, despite it being something that had to be done to preserve the balance.

I just thought of this but it seems like no matter how hard Loki tries, like a moth to the flame he just can't stop himself from falling. I think it's this aspect of the character that's the most tragic. He was born to be the chaotic antithesis of what Asgard stands for like he is genetically predisposed towards violence and confusion. No matter what he does he's drawn to the darker side of things like he's forever caught in a swirling vortex of spiritual desolation.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 04-15-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #133
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I don't recall where I read this, but didn't Loki get decapitated by Thor throwing Mjolnir at his head too? Maybe this was an early run comic where this happened?
I think Thor was merely threatening Loki in that instance, I'm sure he drained his life force whenever he killed him since Loki can survive decapitation.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #134
catgirl18
Side-Kick

The movie has disappointed me in this part There’s no real good brotherly love scene,all my friends were also disappointed.They thought Thor is better than that. That was really low of thor That's the reason why Loki thinks THOR does not love him .

catgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #135
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl18 View Post
The movie has disappointed me in this part There’s no real good brotherly love scene,all my friends were also disappointed.They thought Thor is better than that. That was really low of thor That's the reason why Loki thinks THOR does not love him .

I disagree. Thor showed brotherly love towards Loki when he rescued him from SHIELD/Avengers custody and tried to reason with him and return him to Asgard. But it's hard to maintain that brotherly love when one brother drops the other five miles to the ground to see if he can die, then knifes him later on. Yet Thor saying, "He's adopted," is held out as a major crime when he never instigated the battles between them and only responded to Loki with force when he absolutely had to.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #136
catgirl18
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree. Thor showed brotherly love towards Loki when he rescued him from SHIELD/Avengers custody and tried to reason with him and return him to Asgard. But it's hard to maintain that brotherly love when one brother drops the other five miles to the ground to see if he can die, then knifes him later on. Yet Thor saying, "He's adopted," is held out as a major crime when he never instigated the battles between them and only responded to Loki with force when he absolutely had to.
I thought it was **** .I was hoping for a different end.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #137
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl18 View Post
I thought it was **** .I was hoping for a different end.
Sorry, but Loki is not some misunderstood woobie. He's a sadistic mass-murdering monster. I've seen siblings make a jab at the other being adopted for a lot less than that. It was a flippant remark, and Loki deserved far worse from Thor by that point.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #138
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Lets not make Thor out to be a villain here. I LOVE Loki as a villain in the movies but HE is the F'ed up one who constantly violates the familial relationships.

Thor has been VERY patient and forgiving with Loki. How far is he supposed to let things go exactly? Plead with him constantly and cry while Loki destroys everyone?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #139
Godzilla2000
The Black Blur

You guys all know that I adore Loki as a well rounded character, but I think we're confusing our affections for Tommy with Loki himself. I think Thor treating Loki in the manner that you have been talking of is quite logical considering the great lengths he's gone to to get Loki to see he's trying to look out for him and get him to see reason but receiving no gratitude. I myself have siblings and sometimes you just can't get through to them no matter what you do, and it's a frustrating thing. Plus as some people have said here Loki has gone out of his way to let Thor know they aren't biologically related and that has to hurt Thor in that despite all the brotherly love he's shown Loki through the centuries Loki would dismiss all that so easily because of an unwarranted hatred for his brother. Thor went out of his way in Thor not to harm his brother but Loki was not giving that benevolence the same courtesy. I'd think by now Thor would have had quite enough of this lopsided treatment by a man that keeps telling him they are not brothers. Heck, it looks like Thor and Cap are more brotherly than Loki is to Thor.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #140
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post
Lets not make Thor out to be a villain here. I LOVE Loki as a villain in the movies but HE is the F'ed up one who constantly violates the familial relationships.

Thor has been VERY patient and forgiving with Loki. How far is he supposed to let things go exactly? Plead with him constantly and cry while Loki destroys everyone?
Yeah I'm gonna have to stay away from these threads until things doesn't have to explained to the same person for 2 days straight.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #141
Godzilla2000
The Black Blur

Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna have to stay away from these threads until things doesn't have to explained to the same person for 2 days straight.
Oh, don't take other people's opinions so seriously. I myself find it fascinating a study in human behavior concerning the loyalty to Loki and his turn towards complete sociopsychopathy.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #142
catgirl18
Side-Kick

Quote:
I did not want to make you sad sorry .
-I just thought- the end was not as good as,I would have liked.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #143
catgirl18
Side-Kick

Quote:
You guys all know that I adore Loki as a well rounded character, but I think we're confusing our affections for Tommy with Loki himself. I think Thor treating Loki in the manner that you have been talking of is quite logical considering the great lengths he's gone to to get Loki to see he's trying to look out for him and get him to see reason but receiving no gratitude. I myself have siblings and sometimes you just can't get through to them no matter what you do, and it's a frustrating thing. Plus as some people have said here Loki has gone out of his way to let Thor know they aren't biologically related and that has to hurt Thor in that despite all the brotherly love he's shown Loki through the centuries Loki would dismiss all that so easily because of an unwarranted hatred for his brother. Thor went out of his way in Thor not to harm his brother but Loki was not giving that benevolence the same courtesy. I'd think by now Thor would have had quite enough of this lopsided treatment by a man that keeps telling him they are not brothers. Heck, it looks like Thor and Cap are more brotherly than Loki is to Thor.
I am loki fan because th Loki blood brothers mini-series,
but tom is ok He plays loki well .

Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #144
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Oh, don't take other people's opinions so seriously. I myself find it fascinating a study in human behavior concerning the loyalty to Loki and his turn towards complete sociopsychopathy.
What are you talking about it's not the opinion that I'm taking seriously, it's having to repeat the same thing over and over like we're talking to a brick wall.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #145
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Watching Tom Hiddleston's face in these gifs is so interesting. He has done such a tremendous job of making Loki a multi-faceted and fascinating character, but it must be hard work emotionally. I love Hiddleston as an actor, but part of me wants to scream at Loki, "Bring Phil back, you ****ing murderer!"

Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #146
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Unlike most MCU fans
I'm not really that upset with Coulson dying, sure I would've liked for him to live but I'm sure it makes the stakes in the film feel "real".

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #147
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Y'know, without delving too much into spoiler territory because I'm trying very, very hard to be a good girl here, I'm thrilled that Joss appears to have developed Loki into one truly messed up, sociopathic villain. I'm sure he gave Hiddleston tons of meaty material to work with. Joss is great at developing big bads in all of his stories, of not being afraid to have, oh.... say, the best friend of his main character torture and flay a man alive and try to end the world. Or showing a protagonist's love interest brutally murdering a minor supporting character.

Joss is a master at showing the deepest, darkest depths a character is willing to go to serve their purposes, whether they are ultimately acting out in pain or whether they're simply giving into impulses that already existed within them. It sounds like that's what he did with Loki.

Also, I love me a really good, f'd up villain who toys with their prey mentally and physically.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #148
Godzilla2000
The Black Blur

Quote:
Watching Tom Hiddleston's face in these gifs is so interesting. He has done such a tremendous job of making Loki a multi-faceted and fascinating character, but it must be hard work emotionally. I love Hiddleston as an actor, but part of me wants to scream at Loki, "Bring Phil back, you ****ing murderer!"

Based on all the recent images I'm thinking that Tom has become quite fond of the Goatee.

And yes, I think we who love the character of Loki would all like to make things alright for Loki too.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #149
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Y'know, without delving too much into spoiler territory because I'm trying very, very hard to be a good girl here, I'm thrilled that Joss appears to have developed Loki into one truly messed up, sociopathic villain. I'm sure he gave Hiddleston tons of meaty material to work with. Joss is great at developing big bads in all of his stories, of not being afraid to have, oh.... say, the best friend of his main character torture and flay a man alive and try to end the world. Or showing a protagonist's love interest brutally murdering a minor supporting character.

Joss is a master at showing the deepest, darkest depths a character is willing to go to serve their purposes, whether they are ultimately acting out in pain or whether they're simply giving into impulses that already existed within them. It sounds like that's what he did with Loki.

Also, I love me a really good, f'd up villain who toys with their prey mentally and physically.

Loki had to sink to the depths in order to be seen as a credible villain, and Whedon certainly laid him low. Although Loki was a patricidal/fratricidal/genocidal murderer in Thor, he remained a sympathetic character even through all that. In The Avengers, he steps up into full-blown psychosis and irredeemable evil. That's exactly where he needed to go in order to be a menace worthy of the team's first outing.

There have been many comments on other sites to the effect that Loki is too weak and emotional to be threatening. He also has a lot of fans who adore Woobie!Loki, the poor wounded outcast who just needs a hug and some s'mores to turn him back into a good guy. Those folks are in for a shock. This Loki wants to be loved, but agrees with Machiavelli that fear works better than love in securing power. Loki is in constant pain and he enjoys inflicting pain upon others. He is more menacing and truly frightening than any other villain in the genre. A being with godlike powers, yet lacking remorse, compassion and any respect for sentient life is terrifying, indeed.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #150
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Based on all the recent images I'm thinking that Tom has become quite fond of the Goatee.

And yes, I think we who love the character of Loki would all like to make things alright for Loki too.

I love Loki, yet I want to make it all worse for him. Loki needs to atone for his many crimes, and redemption comes most dramatically through pain. Finally I see the point of dripping acid into his eyes, or banishing him to the Isle of Silence. (Poison sounds better, though.)

Whedon has a habit of letting vicious murderers off the hook, as he did with Angel and Willow, both of whom should have died screaming, IMO. One can only hope that Loki doesn't get to walk off into the sunset without feeling at least as much pain as he caused