The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #76
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Default Re: Ben Kingsley as Iron Man 3 Villain

Even though he called Mandarin a racist caricature, I figure that could mean he's finding a way to "update him" or something, even if he already is updated in the comics.

Son of Coul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #77
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I honestly can't take Kingsley seriously in genre fare after all the terrible movies.
You just aren't watching the right movies. Watch House of Sand and Fog, Ghandi or Sexy Beast and you will see why the man is a legend. His casting does nothing but help this movie.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #78
Drizzle
Assemble Again

He is a great actor. He just takes a lot of roles for the paycheck.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #79
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
He is a great actor. He just takes a lot of roles for the paycheck.
Many good actors do. It's hard to for most to make a living just picking what they think is good for their career or something that challenges them as an actor.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #80
Octoberist
point blank

I can't help it but to somewhat disagree because it's kinda true: Ben's roles in recent years have been questionable and it wasn't until Hugo that reminded me on how fooking good he is.

It's like saying that we should justify Cuba Gooding Jr's career because he is strictly making a living. Or Malcolm McDowell.

Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #81
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I can't help it but to somewhat disagree because it's kinda true: Ben's roles in recent years have been questionable and it wasn't until Hugo that reminded me on how fooking good he is.

It's like saying that we should justify Cuba Gooding Jr's career because he is strictly making a living. Or Malcolm McDowell.
To a point. What I'm really trying to say is that it's not easy for everyone to simply pick and choose the best bits and expect to always make a living. For some people it does mean taking some for the paycheck so they can do what they really want after. I'm not saying that's definitely the case for Kingsley either, but it's probably a factor. Not to mention that every bad film they do isn't simply because of them doing it for the paycheck, things happen and you can't guarantee what movie is a success.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #82
The Morningstar
Banned User

Doesn't matter if he's been in **** films that he did just for fun or the paycheck. You don't lose the ability to act. Especially when you're as good as Kingsley. And he was great in Shutter Island and Hugo anyway.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #83
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Even though he called Mandarin a racist caricature, I figure that could mean he's finding a way to "update him" or something, even if he already is updated in the comics.
I think it's racist for him to honestly bring up such a stereotype and not use him for that reason. Iron Man and the Mandarin is a yin and yang like component between hero and villain; as it is to Batman and the Joker, Spiderman and the Green Goblin, Superman to Lex Luther.

I think if we got Kinsley as Mandarin... would be a genius choice; I'm hoping all of the talent we're getting with this is well executed in this film.

And forgive me, but I have NOT read it yet: is Extremis worth a read?

l

THE LEGEND ENDS

JULY 20TH 2012
Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #84
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Extremis is definently worth the read, its out in trade paperback, worth reading, Warren Ellis and Adi Granov (artist) crafted one of the best Iron Man stories and the art work is tremendous.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #85
The Morningstar
Banned User

Ellis' Extremis and the Knauf's follow up, Haunted and Director of SHIELD are in my eyes, the best comics Iron Man has ever been involved with.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #86
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Kingsley's alright, but...

Doesn't anyone remember this guy??

Though they left his role ambiguous, a smart way to script it would be to pull a 'Ducard'-type thing here, but more likely it's simply another case of "upgrading to a name" casting, methinks...

And just gives more credence to the idea that this will be an "all-new, all-different" Iron Man in many ways...

Interested to see what Shane Black comes up with, but would have liked to see him pick up that thread, and Tahir himself, who's a quality actor...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #87
The Morningstar
Banned User

Yea, Stane left him alive didn't he?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #88
Victarion
Cut

If Kinglsey is the Mandarin, would he be referenced as such in the movie?

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #89
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
If Kinglsey is the Mandarin, would he be referenced as such in the movie?
I'm not sure I could see him introducing himself as such. Maybe they'll pull an 'Iron Monger' like IM1 and vaguely reference it, but that's more of an in joke for fans really. Still it's not important as long as he's the Mandarin in character and he (hopefully) has the ten rings.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #90
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
Kingsley's alright, but...

Doesn't anyone remember this guy??

Though they left his role ambiguous, a smart way to script it would be to pull a 'Ducard'-type thing here, but more likely it's simply another case of "upgrading to a name" casting, methinks...

And just gives more credence to the idea that this will be an "all-new, all-different" Iron Man in many ways...

Interested to see what Shane Black comes up with, but would have liked to see him pick up that thread, and Tahir himself, who's a quality actor...

Raza isn't Mandarin, nor was he meant to be.
He's way too weak a character to represent Mandarin, and served only as a low-level boss. And even if they brought him back for a Ducard/R'as switcheroo, *everyone* (both fanboy and GA alike) would be screaming "RIPOFF."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #91
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Raza isn't Mandarin, nor was he meant to be.
He's way too weak a character to represent Mandarin, and served only as a low-level boss. And even if they brought him back for a Ducard/R'as switcheroo, *everyone* (both fanboy and GA alike) would be screaming "RIPOFF."
Though I agree that his character wasn't strong enough in the first movie, I think I've read interviews where they discuss that the Mandarin wasn't planned out exactly, but they do seem to suggest that one possibility was him becoming the Mandarin.

Though I would agree that if it played out like Batman it would have people calling it a rip off, I think it could have worked if they evolved his character into the Mandarin rather than make it he was the Mandarin all along.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #92
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm not a fan of Ben Kingsley because most of the films that I've seen from him weren't my cup of tea. But I hope he delivers in Iron Man 3 and I hope that he's gonna contribute greatness!

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #93
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Ben Kingsley is a good actor but a lot of the big movies he's been in have been horrendous or ended up being BO poison so I hope he doesn't "curse" this movie.

Thunderbirds. Prince of Persia. Suspect Zero. The Love Guru. BLOODRAYNE. I mean yeah he has a lot of quality performances but it seems for every exceptional role he has he does like a dozen more **** films.

I also hope he isn't playing the Mandarin because I mean . . . that would technically be racist.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #94
The Guard
Side-Kick

Those movies weren't bad because of Kingsley. They were just not terribly interesting and well written movies.

Though SUSPECT ZERO is actually fairly decent.

Isn't Raza dead? Didn't Stane kill him or paralyze him with that sonic device in IRON MAN?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #95
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Ben Kingsley is a good actor but a lot of the big movies he's been in have been horrendous or ended up being BO poison so I hope he doesn't "curse" this movie.

Thunderbirds. Prince of Persia. Suspect Zero. The Love Guru. BLOODRAYNE. I mean yeah he has a lot of quality performances but it seems for every exceptional role he has he does like a dozen more **** films.

I also hope he isn't playing the Mandarin because I mean . . . that would technically be racist.
Not sure if I agree. We've had Heimdall and the Kingpin as black, both were fairly well received for their parts. I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the character and haven't read much comics that feature him, is there much about the character that means he must be portrayed as Eastern Asian and not Middle-eastern Asian? Also the name itself might not even be mentioned. We only got 'Iron Monger' as an in-joke reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Those movies weren't bad because of Kingsley. They were just not terribly interesting and well written movies.

Though SUSPECT ZERO is actually fairly decent.

Isn't Raza dead? Didn't Stane kill him or paralyze him with that sonic device in IRON MAN?
No, he was left alive as far as I recall. Also there are some interviews out there that suggested that one possible way forward with the Ten Rings/Mandarin was to have him be the Mandarin. Though from the interview it sounds like it was simply discussed as one possibility at best and nothing concrete.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #96
Beikoku Taichou
Side-Kick

It would only be racist if he was written to be a Chinese person. If they wanted to use Ben Kingsley, they could change the character's origin to a Westerner who uses his (magic, techno, whatever) rings to seize control of a Chinese corporation or something.

Beikoku Taichou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #97
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beikoku Taichou View Post
It would only be racist if he was written to be a Chinese person. If they wanted to use Ben Kingsley, they could change the character's origin to a Westerner who uses his (magic, techno, whatever) rings to seize control of a Chinese corporation or something.
Ben Kingsley is actually half-Indian on his father's side (his birth name was Krishna Pandit Bhanji), so if he is playing the Mandarin, they could also make the character South Asian, if they wanted to.

Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #98
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, he was left alive as far as I recall. Also there are some interviews out there that suggested that one possible way forward with the Ten Rings/Mandarin was to have him be the Mandarin. Though from the interview it sounds like it was simply discussed as one possibility at best and nothing concrete.
Just watched it today. Stane says "Its the least of your problems", and leaves, and you hear gunfire. I assume that's Stane's men killing Raza's mne, and I would assume Raza, though its left open.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #99
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Just watched it today. Stane says "Its the least of your problems", and leaves, and you hear gunfire. I assume that's Stane's men killing Raza's mne, and I would assume Raza, though its left open.
And even if that doesn't turn out to be the case, Raza shouldn't become Mandarin simply because he's too weak and wussy a character to be as menacing as Mandarin. He's a sub-boss, not a "final" boss.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #100
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Not sure if I agree. We've had Heimdall and the Kingpin as black, both were fairly well received for their parts. I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the character and haven't read much comics that feature him, is there much about the character that means he must be portrayed as Eastern Asian and not Middle-eastern Asian? Also the name itself might not even be mentioned. We only got 'Iron Monger' as an in-joke reference.

Dude Heimdall is a bit part anyway. No one cares about Heimdall. Heimdall is not Loki. Heimdall is not The Mandarin.

As for the Kingpin and Michael Clarke Duncan. Well let's see, where's that Daredevil sequel? Oh right.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote