The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #101
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Ben Kingsley as Iron Man 3 Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Dude Heimdall is a bit part anyway. No one cares about Heimdall. Heimdall is not Loki. Heimdall is not The Mandarin.

As for the Kingpin and Michael Clarke Duncan. Well let's see, where's that Daredevil sequel? Oh right.

Just got a new writer a couple of days ago and is in development at Fox, according to Deadline. With a Born Again storyline that features Kingpin again. No word yet on who will play Kingpin this time, or what color his skin will be.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #102
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Pretty sure no Daredevil sequel had to do with the movie's ****tiness, not Kingpin's skin color being changed.

Son of Coul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #103
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Pretty sure no Daredevil sequel had to do with the movie's ****tiness, not Kingpin's skin color being changed.
I don't think you understand.
VileOne was asking where's the Daredevil sequel, as though it had fallen into development hell, and I was pointing out that we just got word from Deadline in just the past few days that it very much is still alive, and has a new writer. I have no idea whether or not there's any issues with casting Kingpin or not, I was just pointing out that the Deadline article mentions him and that they're still planning on using the Born Again story arc as a basis.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #104
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Dude Heimdall is a bit part anyway. No one cares about Heimdall. Heimdall is not Loki. Heimdall is not The Mandarin.
So it's alright to be racist if it's a smaller part? Is that what you're saying?

Quote:
As for the Kingpin and Michael Clarke Duncan. Well let's see, where's that Daredevil sequel? Oh right.
Thought it would be clear that I wasn't equating the part with the film. A lot of people liked him as Kingpin. Do you think it's racist he was the Kingpin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Just got a new writer a couple of days ago and is in development at Fox, according to Deadline. With a Born Again storyline that features Kingpin again. No word yet on who will play Kingpin this time, or what color his skin will be.
That's not a sequel though (and thank god, eh?). That's a reboot to keep the rights to a potential franchise.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #105
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I think it sucked he was the Kingpin and he failed to be a very good Kingpin.

Again no one gives a **** about Heimdall. He's the ****ing bridge guard for Asgard. Frankly it's a waste of the talent of someone like Idris Elba who is a ****ing monstrous actor. Anyone can play that role and it is beneath Elba who would be better served playing a character like T'Challa/Black Panther or the more modernized Luke Cage. **** even him as the Falcon would be loads better. The dude is magnetic.

Duncan was not that well received as Kingpin clearly. He never played that role ever again. He did play Balrog though in Street Fighter Legend of Chun-Li.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #106
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
I think it sucked he was the Kingpin and he failed to be a very good Kingpin.

Again no one gives a **** about Heimdall. He's the ****ing bridge guard for Asgard. Frankly it's a waste of the talent of someone like Idris Elba who is a ****ing monstrous actor. Anyone can play that role and it is beneath Elba who would be better served playing a character like T'Challa/Black Panther or the more modernized Luke Cage. **** even him as the Falcon would be loads better. The dude is magnetic.

Duncan was not that well received as Kingpin clearly. He never played that role ever again. He did play Balrog though in Street Fighter Legend of Chun-Li.
Um.... *walks away slowly*. Some other time Vile. lol

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #107
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

I really hope he's playing the Mandarin!

I've been waiting to see the Mandarin since the first Iron Man movie.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #108
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

I agree with TheVileOne that Heimdall is a waste of Idris Elba's talents. IMO Elba is one of the best in the business right now. I don't see him as Luke Cage, but I think he would be an outstanding T'Challa. I wonder if Marvel would cast the same actor for two different roles.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I mean Marvel Studios, not Marvel in general. So Chris Evans going from Johnny Storm to Steve Rogers doesn't count.

Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #109
Chris B
Side-Kick

To be fair, the Chinese heritage is a pretty big part of the Mandarin's character. So I think it would be a valid complaint if they've changed the character into something other than Chinese.

Where as with somebody like Kingpin, being white isn't a major part of who the character is. So I think you can conceivably change the character's race if needed.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #110
The Guard
Side-Kick

Which parts of his Chinese heritage are integral to the character?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #111
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I agree with TheVileOne that Heimdall is a waste of Idris Elba's talents.
If Elba thought it was an 'insult' to have such a small role, or it was a waste of his talent he didn't have to take the job. Plain and simple.

We may think it was a waste because he is definitely a great actor, but he obviously was fine with it.

The few lines he had were delivered in a powerful way, he looked great and he even got to **** up some frost giants. For what the part was he did great. I'm sure Marvel Studios was very happy they got such a solid actor to do what can probably be considered as a 'bit part' in the grand scheme of things.

Whatever Kingsley's true role or character is, I think it will be great. The cast for this movie, on paper, may be the best one they've put together for any of the Marvel Films.

Last edited by MarvelKnight; 05-02-2012 at 04:51 PM.
MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #112
The Guard
Side-Kick

Agreed. And there's nothing that states he won't be in a future THOR film. For all we know he's a big Thor fan and just wanted a part in the movie.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #113
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Again no one gives a **** about Heimdall.
I do.

5-.-2-.-14

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #114
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
If Elba thought it was an 'insult' to have such a small role, or it was a waste of his talent he didn't have to take the job. Plain and simple.

We may think it was a waste because he is definitely a great actor, but he obviously was fine with it.

The few lines he had were delivered in a powerful way, he looked great and he even got to **** up some frost giants. For what the part was he did great. I'm sure Marvel Studios was very happy they got such a solid actor to do what can probably be considered as a 'bit part' in the grand scheme of things.
I wasn't trying to imply that the role was beneath Elba or anything like that, just that I'd rather see him in a larger role. I agree he did well as Heimdall. IIRC he took the part because he wanted to work with Kenneth Branagh, which is understandable.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #115
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
To be fair, the Chinese heritage is a pretty big part of the Mandarin's character. So I think it would be a valid complaint if they've changed the character into something other than Chinese.

Where as with somebody like Kingpin, being white isn't a major part of who the character is. So I think you can conceivably change the character's race if needed.
The character is half British, half ethnic Mongol. How is a Chinese heritage important to him?

MichaelChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #116
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelChen View Post
The character is half British, half ethnic Mongol. How is a Chinese heritage important to him?
You're a little right. But only a little.

Yes, his parents *claimed* descent from Genghis Khan, although that's never been proven and Tony Stark and others have questioned that. In any event, Mandarin's parents were a British noblewoman and a wealthy Chinese man. Mandarin grew up in China; lives in China; Mandarin's Palace is in China; he speaks Chinese as his first language; and probably prefers Chinese food over Mexican or Paki. The name "Mandarin" is Chinese. Mandarin usually dresses in traditional Chinese garb.

So yeah, Chinese heritage is a pretty big deal for him.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #117
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

After Iron-man 1 I was sure I didn't want to see Mandarin because of his supernatural nature, but now that Thor has been established as a part of the same universe, it could be done. But, I'm still not sure if they should use super natural stuff in a solo Iron-man movie

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #118
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
After Iron-man 1 I was sure I didn't want to see Mandarin because of his supernatural nature, but now that Thor has been established as a part of the same universe, it could be done. But, I'm still not sure if they should use super natural stuff in a solo Iron-man movie
there are still other ways to portrait the Mandarin. His powers don't have to be supernatural. Just as Ras alGhul wasn't supernatural in BB. (Of course, they f*** that up in TDKR)
Mandarins powers could very well be technology based. Nanotechnology comes to mind.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #119
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
there are still other ways to portrait the Mandarin. His powers don't have to be supernatural. Just as Ras alGhul wasn't supernatural in BB. (Of course, they f*** that up in TDKR)
Mandarins powers could very well be technology based. Nanotechnology comes to mind.
Yeah, with the Extremis arc, I'm seriously thinkin' that nanotech is how they'll give Mandarin his true powers.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #120
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Being called the Mandarin for starters.

Idris Elba took roles like the ones in Ghost Rider and Thor to get paid and possibly to be a part of a big franchise with Thor. Also sometimes actors take roles based on advice from their agent or management which is why we see great actors in really **** films.

- CM Punk
Old 05-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #121
BrollySupersj
Retro Reptile

The Avengers really has me hyped for IM 3. Can't wait till filming starts. As for the Mandarin being in the flick, I don't mind either way. If he's in it, awesome, if not then it won't make a difference to me.

But if he does end up being in the film, I think this design would look pretty boss on the big screen: http://images.wikia.com/iron-man-arm...arin_super.jpg

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #122
AvengeME
Banned User

I don't like the idea of Kingsley as the main villain. He isn't very intimidating from a physical point of view. Short and small. I don't want all his scenes to involve fancy technology and heavy CGI. I was hoping for a more organic villain without going as far as the Hulk per say. Guy Pierce's character will probably end up stealing most of the action. Even as a guy pulling the strings in the background, Kingsley has to see some action at some point and I feel they will be too limited in that respect.

AvengeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #123
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengeME View Post
I don't like the idea of Kingsley as the main villain. He isn't very intimidating from a physical point of view. Short and small. I don't want all his scenes to involve fancy technology and heavy CGI. I was hoping for a more organic villain without going as far as the Hulk per say. Guy Pierce's character will probably end up stealing most of the action. Even as a guy pulling the strings in the background, Kingsley has to see some action at some point and I feel they will be too limited in that respect.

But what if Kingsley *is* playing Mandarin, as the general consensus seems to speculate? Mandarin isn't a physically imposing character. It's not like he and Iron Man traded punches; they traded energy blasts.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #124
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

So they are going to make Kingsley look Chinese? Isn't that racist?

- CM Punk
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #125
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
But what if Kingsley *is* playing Mandarin, as the general consensus seems to speculate? Mandarin isn't a physically imposing character. It's not like he and Iron Man traded punches; they traded energy blasts.

Wrong. The Mandarin IS a physically imposing character, and thanks to chi-amped super-strength can smash holes in Iron Man's armor, as well as doing things like breaking his arm and kicking a dent in his helmet.

They don't trade energy-blasts so much as Mandarin uses the rings to set up hand-to-hand cheapshots. Like he'll create an illusion of himself with the mind-ring and then karate-chop Iron Man while he doesn't know what to dodge. Or freeze his boot-jets and then karate-chop Iron Man when he falls out of the sky. That sort of thing.

MichaelChen is offline   Reply With Quote