The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #126
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Ben Kingsley as Iron Man 3 Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
So they are going to make Kingsley look Chinese? Isn't that racist?
I dunno if the MCU version of Mandarin (that's still a big assumption that there *is* one) is going to be Chinese at all, though. I still have a suspicion that the film version may turn out to be Central Asian (Afghanistan, for instance) instead of East Asian (Chinese). If they *do* go that route, the use of the name "Mandarin" becomes a headscratcher, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelChen View Post

Wrong. The Mandarin IS a physically imposing character, and thanks to chi-amped super-strength can smash holes in Iron Man's armor, as well as doing things like breaking his arm and kicking a dent in his helmet.

They don't trade energy-blasts so much as Mandarin uses the rings to set up hand-to-hand cheapshots. Like he'll create an illusion of himself with the mind-ring and then karate-chop Iron Man while he doesn't know what to dodge. Or freeze his boot-jets and then karate-chop Iron Man when he falls out of the sky. That sort of thing.
Okay. But I think most people will disagree with you that this 60s costume of Mandy is "physically imposing" instead of "patently goofy."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #127
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I dunno if the MCU version of Mandarin (that's still a big assumption that there *is* one) is going to be Chinese at all, though. I still have a suspicion that the film version may turn out to be Central Asian (Afghanistan, for instance) instead of East Asian (Chinese). If they *do* go that route, the use of the name "Mandarin" becomes a headscratcher, though.

Okay. But I think most people will disagree with you that this 60s costume of Mandy is "physically imposing" instead of "patently goofy."
That's if they even use the name. Remember Iron Monger was only used as an in joke to the fans in the first one, so he was never actually called Iron Monger in the film.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #128
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
That's if they even use the name. Remember Iron Monger was only used as an in joke to the fans in the first one, so he was never actually called Iron Monger in the film.
That goes without saying.

But Kingsley even as an Osama Bin Laden type would be hard to take seriously if he had to see action. Or maybe he develops some counter armor but that seems kind of repetitive. Maybe he has Fin Fang Foom but that seems too similar to the Leviathans.

As unlikely as it is, I hope they have more in store for Lau's character and he doesn't end up being another Yinsen. If they wanted a modern take on Mandarin without deviating completely from the character, you get an Asian actor at the very least. Maybe the big reveal will be Lau's character was the villain all along while Kingsley was a good guy. Not gonna happen given the movie is being produced in China.

But when have we gotten that level a twist in a comic book movie, where the villain is someone nobody expected? We haven't seen that yet.

Last edited by AvengeME; 05-09-2012 at 05:44 AM.
AvengeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #129
BrollySupersj
YES I DID IT!

I'm expecting Kingsley to end up being Mallen. Given how things are going so far.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #130
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
I'm expecting Kingsley to end up being Mallen. Given how things are going so far.
I believe he'll be "Mallen" in the sense that he'll be the willing victim of the Extremis nanotech swarm. But as far as us seeing an actual Mallen --- i.e., a Timothy McVeigh-type homegrown racist militia terrorist --- I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell. That's why I think they'll dredge up a "name" villain from the comics to be the Extremis-enhanced baddie, and "Mandarin" seems to be the name of choice in most fan circles.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #131
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Mandarin claiming descent from Genghis Khan is not that impressive.

1 in every 200 men on the planet are direct descendants of genghis khan so its not that unique.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #132
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

The costume, sure, but the character underneath it is extremely athletic.

MichaelChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #133
Thatsabingo!
Side-Kick

Has it been confirmed that Kingsley is a villain? Its just tough for me to see him as a physically imposing force. Unless of course he has some sort of suit, but still, thats been done before

Thatsabingo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #134
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsabingo! View Post
Has it been confirmed that Kingsley is a villain? Its just tough for me to see him as a physically imposing force. Unless of course he has some sort of suit, but still, thats been done before
It is Ben Kingsley. Why does he have to be PHYSICALLY imposing? Is being Ben Kingsley not imposing enough?

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #135
The Morningstar
Banned User

If you don't think Ben Kingsley can pull off "absolutely ****ing terrifying" watch a little film called Sexy Beast.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #136
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
If you don't think Ben Kingsley can pull off "absolutely ****ing terrifying" watch a little film called Sexy Beast.
A great movie.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #137
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Ben Kingsley is really good. I am sure he will give a great performance. Let's just hope it is a well-written character(same goes for the story in general) so he can show off how great he is.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #138
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Ben Kingsley is well known as a good actor, and I'll trust that he'll be able to play a convincing Big Bad. But I hope they don't call him "Mandarin."

The character is blatantly Chinese, going so far as to identify himself as such in his name. Everyone thinks of China when they hear "Mandarin." What gets me is that we're seeing a lot of East Asian roles in big movies lately, played by people of obviously different ethnicity. If a non-black actor does blackface, then it BETTER be a clear joke like what Robert Downey Jr. did in Tropic Thunder. Otherwise, people would cry racism. But yellowface (or even lazily casting someone of different ethnicity, with no effort to disguise his race at all) seems to be perfectly acceptable.

It annoys me because it's not only taking away roles from East Asian actors, but taking away the roles that should naturally go to them. Asian men suffer from a lack of representation in Western entertainment, which still hasn't fully discarded the stereotype of Asians as weak little nerds. Mandarin does play into the other stereotype of "martial artist," as well as the obsolete Fu Manchu stereotype that no one really does anymore. But I would hope that a good, charismatic, and appealing Asian actor could expand the role and show off some other traits, if cast in an Iron Man movie.

This movie series already changed Yinsen's race for absolutely no reason. It doesn't need to do that again.

ClarkLuther55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #139
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkLuther55 View Post
Ben Kingsley is well known as a good actor, and I'll trust that he'll be able to play a convincing Big Bad. But I hope they don't call him "Mandarin."

The character is blatantly Chinese, going so far as to identify himself as such in his name. Everyone thinks of China when they hear "Mandarin." What gets me is that we're seeing a lot of East Asian roles in big movies lately, played by people of obviously different ethnicity. If a non-black actor does blackface, then it BETTER be a clear joke like what Robert Downey Jr. did in Tropic Thunder. Otherwise, people would cry racism. But yellowface (or even lazily casting someone of different ethnicity, with no effort to disguise his race at all) seems to be perfectly acceptable.

It annoys me because it's not only taking away roles from East Asian actors, but taking away the roles that should naturally go to them. Asian men suffer from a lack of representation in Western entertainment, which still hasn't fully discarded the stereotype of Asians as weak little nerds. Mandarin does play into the other stereotype of "martial artist," as well as the obsolete Fu Manchu stereotype that no one really does anymore. But I would hope that a good, charismatic, and appealing Asian actor could expand the role and show off some other traits, if cast in an Iron Man movie.

This movie series already changed Yinsen's race for absolutely no reason. It doesn't need to do that again.
While I agree with the rest of your post, I don't agree with the last sentence. Yinsen's change --- and the location change --- make perfect sense: the Vietnam War was long, long ago. The War in Afghanistan is current. It's perfectly natural. I just wish they'd changed his name, too.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #140
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
I'm not so sure. It could be argued that they felt the need to make Stark more contemporary and changed the setting of where Stark was captured and in turn were forced to change Yinsen's race to suit to suit the setting. It wouldn't have made much sense to have him as East Asian then and changing it to the Vietnam war would have set it too far in the past.

It could be also argued that the Mandarin too has to change race to suit the origin of the Ten Rings as they are apparently established in IM1.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #141
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

They should've just changed Yinsen's name then. Although I don't see a reason why a scientist of Chinese descent couldn't have been working in Afghanistan.

ClarkLuther55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #142
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
They should've just changed Yinsen's name then. Although I don't see a reason why a scientist of Chinese descent couldn't have been working in Afghanistan.
Because "Yinsen" had to be an Afghan local, to make the whole Gulmira episode work. Yinsen was from Gulmira; Gulmira is raided by Raza later in the film; Tony is able to avenge Yinsen by liberating Gulmira.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #143
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
If they changed his name then people would be complaining they just had some guy in Yinsen's role and changing him to some foreigner working there (for whatever) reason would have changed his story. He lived there and had a wife and kids (who the Ten Rings murdered). Though it's not a direct representation of Iron Man's origin it arguably works better, especially for the MCU and modern audiences.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #144
The Sarge
Greatest DP ever

Quote:

This.

It seems like hollywood doesn't think Asians put butts in seats. I can think of far more asian characters replaced by actors of other ethnicities in recent films, than main characters represented as asian like they originally were.

The Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #145
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I can see Kingsley being similar to how he was in Prince of Persia.

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #146
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

It could have been worse, people - at least Marvel aren't going to be using Yellow Claw anytime soon.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #147
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
The character is blatantly Chinese, going so far as to identify himself as such in his name. Everyone thinks of China when they hear "Mandarin."
I thinka those little oranges.
but maybe that's just me.

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote