The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Comic Books & Genre RPG's

Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Default Re: Create-A-Hero RPG Season IV IC Thread

Eve throttles towards Phoenix's estate the sound of "Patty"'s voice getting louder and louder as she gets closer and closer.

Phoenix watches in the monitors as The Serpent closes in on the main gates.

Eve now sees a set of black metal rod gates and says, "If you think that's gonna stop me Collins you are sadly mistaken!"

Eve pops a wheelie and The Serpent bursts through the gates as sparks from the electrified gates fall around her.

Phoenix says to Colter, "She could've just stopped and rang the bell and I would've opened the gates." He sighs and shakes his head.

Colter says, "I'll call the gate company in the morning."

Phoenix says, "Good. To the control room with you my friend. I must be ready to greet our gate-crasher."

The two men go their separate ways as Eve kicks in the mammoth front doors.

Phoenix hears the doors being kicked in and shakes his head again.

Eve yells out, "Patty where are you? PATTY!"

The voice is almost screaming in eve's head now, "Thru the door at the far end of the hall Cassie. Please hurry!"

Eve is sprinting towards the door which automatically opens. Eve then sees her sister sitting on a chair tied up and beaten.

As Eve approaches Patty disappears and Eve stops as the door behind her slams shut.

Eve turns to see the door closed and a single light shining in the center of the room.

Great work Eve. You just walked right into a trap.

Phoenix says, "Sorry you're not going to get the chance to break down that door as well."

Eve turns to the voice and says, "All-right Collins come out into the light and let's do this!"

Phoenix says, "In a rush to get to oblivion? Where you should've been over five years ago Miss Yates."

Eve freezes for a moment and then her jaw locks and she says, "So you know who I am. I know plenty about you as well Collins. A steroided up psycho who cared about helping himself more than others."

Phoenix says, "Steroided up psycho interesting word choice Eve, but my name is no longer Arron Collins. No no I have gone far beyond him he is dead to me now. I've risen from the ashes of that former life like a Phoenix to become a new creation! The first of my kind. You may call me..."

He steps out so Eve can now see a 7'7" 600lbs man who is all muscle and says, "Adam Phoenix."

Eve steps back and says, "I don't care what your name is. In a minute I'm gonna make you regret you escaped custody."

Phoenix says, "Aren't you the least bit curious how I was able to manipulate you into coming here? Come on this is where the fun begins Eve."

Eve pauses and it hits her, "You've hacked into part of my Neural Net."

Phoenix says, "Right you are. We've hacked into a portion of it but as we speak my associate Colter, who the rest of the world knows as Arron Collins, is trying to find the right frequency in a hidden control room which will enable me to hack into your Neural Net completely."

Phoenix presses a button and the rest of the room is lit up. Eve sees she is in a plain white room and Phoenix says, "Embedded in the walls of this room are billions of microscopic sensors and relays going through a series of frequencies, and sooner or later one of them will be the right one."

Eve starts forward and says, "If I take you down first it won't matter!"

She begins picking up speed and suddenly Eve stops and grabs her skull and lets out a scream, "AHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

Eve drops to the floor grabbing her skull in a fetal position and groaning in sheer agony.

Phoenix says, "Oh stop calling listeners I think we have a winner."

Phoenix approaches Eve who is now struggling to get to her feet.

Her jaw begins to lock into place and for the first time in her life as a Cyborg she is beginning to sweat.

Phoenix says, "You have spirit I will give you that. I see why The Society chose you for this, but with your Neural Net in a compromised state and with Colter keeping many of your cybernetic abilities at bay you are vulnerable, and in the end I am to be the victor."

Eve gets to one knee and she says, "Oh yeah well celebrate this!"

With all her might Eve tries to punch Phoenix in the knee, but she falls forward right on her face.

Eve tries to get up again, but Phoenix this time grabs her by her neck and says, "As I said I am the victor, and to the victor goes the spoils!"

Phoenix hurls her like a rag doll across the room and Eve slams into a wall making an intention. Phoenix grabs her and slams her into the ground four times in a row and steps back as she moans in greater agony than before.

A digital read-out states:
--Efficiency 54%
--Damage to Neural Net 45%
--Main System Damage 56%
--Auto-Distress Signal Off-Line

Phoenix says, "I might be a steroided up psycho, but at least I am all human, and in control of my faculties unlike some others in this room who are nothing more than a freak!"

Phoenix kicks her across the room and she slams into the wall. Phoenix then slams her into the ground over and over for at least 30 seconds straight.

Eve groans again and is barely able to keep her faculties about her. She is in hell.

The digtal read-out states:
--Catastrophic Damage Sustained
--Systems Failure Immanent

Colter says through a PA system, "Sir she is about to go off-line permanently."

Phoenix says, "Not before I get what is mine. Goodbye Eve this is where I get what is rightfully mine; your Neural Net."

Colter says, "Sir I've noticed a safe guard concerning her Neural Net. If it is separated from her it will self-destruct."

Phoenix closes his eyes and says, "No! I Was so close!"

He looks at Eve and says, "Very well Colter. Thank you for the warning my friend. Prepare the cyber-bomb and launch it when I give you the command. That should keep her Neural Net busy so it will keep her systems running."

Colter replies, "At once sir."

In a very ragged non-robotic voice Eve asks, "What are you going to do to me?"

Phoenix pulls out a remote and presses two buttons. In the middle of the room an operating table appears with various tools around it.

He picks her up and carries her to the table.

As he lays her on the table Phoenix replies, "I'm going to find out what's still human about you and what was made in Brother Paul's workshop."

Phoenix asks, "Is the cyber-bomb ready?"

Colter replies, "Yes Sir."

Phoenix says, "Launch it."

Suddenly Eve is bombarded with images of pop-up ads appearing right before her eyes at a maddening pace.

She cries out in pure agony and pain, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

Phoenix says, "Oh don't worry in about five minutes it will settle down and you'll get used to it and then you won't know a thing. It'll be kind of like a variation on being in suspended animation."

He then pulls out a drill and says, "Now it's time to see what makes you tick."

The drill begins to whirr to life and Eve feels parts of her cybernetic left leg hang limply in her costume as she hears the drill seperating her peice by peice.

It was the last thing she would feel or hear as the pop-up ads began to overrun her mind.

John 3:16

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 05-20-2012 at 11:34 PM.
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

It had been months since she'd been here. In fact, in the months that had passed since the S.T.R.I.K.E attack that had claimed Icon, she had avoided this part of town altogether.

She couldn't bring herself to come here, the weight of being to late to help him had worn on her. The guilt she felt for not being able to save him was almost too much to bear.

"No, I have to see this through. Kayla...if anything happens to me...make sure you tell Keira that I love her." He said clutching his stomach, noting the fear in Starlight's eyes as she say the blood pouring from the wound.

"I will." She said in little more than a whisper.

The memory of that exchange burned in her heart, and it took every ounce of strength she could muster to keep from breaking down, even as she took the key out that he had given her and placed it in the keyhole. She hesitated for a moment, before finally turning the key.

As she stepped inside the apartment that Scott Morse had kept above the nightclub he ran with his friend Eric, an onrush of memories and emotions nearly overtook her.

She remembered the first time he had brought her here after he had saved her from a team of S.T.R.I.K.E agents who had been tracking her after she had first arrived on this world. He had taken her in and given her shelter in a strange world, he had taken her in and showed her the best qualities of humanity.

He treated her like a sister, and knowing that S.T.R.I.K.E would continue its pursuit of her, brought her to Flux in San Diego where she was able to live what passed for a normal life.

But when he needed her the most, all she could do was hold him as he died in her arms.

When she flipped the light switch, she was not prepared for what she saw...everything was just the way it had been the last time she was in the apartment. She had expected to find an empty apartment, or perhaps Scott's belongings packed up into boxes ready to be put into storage, or donated...or anything. But what she found was more like a living museum dedicated to a man who had been dead for nearly half a year.

She made her way into the living room and her attention was immediately drawn to a photograph on the mantle. The picture was of a smiling young couple standing on a bluff with Lost Haven Harbor sprawled out behind them. As she looked at the photo of Scott and Keira, Kayla's heart broke again.

They had been so much in love back then, they had so much ahead of them. They had no way of knowing that their entire world would crumble just a few weeks after this picture had been taken.

After Icon's funeral, Keira had helped Eric run The Hub. But that only lasted for a few weeks as the stress of being here proved to be too much for her. She packed her bags and left Lost Haven, moving to the city of Pacific View, California where she hoped to pursue her music career.

Life had changed in the blink of an eye, and Kayla had no idea what the future would hold...she only wished that he were still here to face it with them.

NiteMare Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Deacon Hawk stands in the burned out exterior of The Church with several weapons stashed away under his jacket.

He begins looking back and forth for potential surprise entry points and where he can try to slip away if he has to.

Suddenly he feels a rumbling underneath his feet as he moves his hands to Sawed-Off Shotguns.

Okay Collins let's see what you got.

Just then a dump-truck smashes through where Hawk is standing.

The truck turns around as Hawk moves away from the falling debris, as Hawk is also trying to see inside the cab of the truck.

Finally the truck stops and Hawk pulls out the two shotguns. Colter gets out of the truck and says, "Hello My name is Arron Collins."

Hawk shakes his head and says, "No, you're not. I've met Arron Collins and you may look like a younger version of him, but no you're not him."

Phoenix says from the back of the truck, "Your powers of observation have always been one of your stronger qualities Deacon. I give you credit for that."

Hawk says, "Now that is the Arron Collins I know."

Hawk pulls out one of the Shotguns and chambers a round.

He says, "All-right Collins show yourself."

Phoenix steps out over the gate of the truck.

Hawk feels his mouth slowly drop open as he crosses himself. He says, "Collins. I knew that what you were taking would cause some growth, but this is...."

Phoenix interrupts, "First off my name is no longer Arron Collins that is the public name of my associate Mr. Colter. Seeing someone like me in public can be a bit off putting my new name is Adam Phoenix. Secondly the growth you refer to is controlled by me and I am a new breed of man who has risen from the ashes. And lastly I came to return something you seem to have lost. Pity Brother Paul isn't here to see this. Is he still suffering from Male Pattern Baldness?"

Hawk growls, "Get on with it...Phoenix."

He raises his gun and says, "The sooner we get on with this the sooner it ends."

Phoenix walks over to the truck and pulls a lever. The truck unloads a pile of metal and electronics which once was The Serpent.

Hawk lowers his gun and his visibly stunned at what he is seeing.

Five years to get this together and he stripped it down like it was nothing.

Hawk looks at the pile in front of him and then back to Phoenix and asks, "Where's Eve?"

Phoenix replies, "Ahh yes the Golden Child. She put up quite a fight, and has a lot of spirit and drive, but in the end we all knew what was destined to be. My victory over you and The Society."

Phoenix throws a switch and the back of the truck raises higher dumping out Eve.

She falls out as though she were a marionette left on the floor. Her limbs just dangling within her costume, her visor broken in two pieces hanging off the side of her face with a crazed look in her eyes, and she keeps saying over and over in a frantic voice, "Wanna see my Web-cam click here, You are our 10,000 visitor click here to claim your prize, Click here to earn more money, Click here to win a free I-Pad, Click here, Click here!"

Hawk cannot contain his shock any longer as he says, "Oh Eve."

He looks at Phoenix and asks raising his gun with tears flowing behind his dark glasses, "What did you do to her?"

Phoenix replies, "I sent a cyber-bomb into her Neural Net. Think of her now as a glorified spam-bot. Oh don't worry she has no idea what's going on she is in her own little world. I wonder if all the Pope's Holy Men can put little Evie together again?"

He starts to laugh along with Colter when suddenly there is an ear-piercing yell from the rafters, "EVE NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Everyone turns to see Brother Paul sprinting towards Eve. He cradles her as she is repeating her "Click Here" phrases over and over.

Hawk says, "I told you to leave I..."

Hawk sees Brother Paul is shattered as he weeps and Hawk reigns in his temper.

Phoenix says, "Aww isn't this touching Colter. Gepetto weeping over Pinocchio. You think she's suddenly going to be a real woman Brother Paul? Remember that's a no-no for you."

At that moment Hawk fires at Phoenix. As massive as Phoenix the blast dazes him. but he taps his chest and says, "Bullet-proof vest. I had a feeling that this might be the time that you go over the edge Hawk. Now it's my turn!"

Hawk yells, "Paul eyes!"

Phoenix begins to charge when Hawk fires another shot at a packet in the ceiling. Suddenly the room is filled with a blinding light.

Hawk asks Brother Paul, "Are you all-right? Can you see?"

Paul looks at Hawk and nods. Hawk says, "Let's go!"

Paul puts Eve over his shoulder and follows Hawk to a secret passageway.

Hawk says, "This tunnel will lead us to an auxiliary hideout. It may not have the latest in terms of tech as The Church, but it should be enough for now."

Paul says, "We'll make do for now."

Hawk says, "Again I thought i told you to get out of here."

Paul says still very shaken, "I couldn't do it you two are all the family I got left. I couldn't stand the thought of losing you all. Besides did you really believe I would leave?"

Hawk smirks and says, "Actually. No."

The two head down a long darkened passageway carrying Eve.

In The Church Colter asks rubbing his eyes, "Shall I activate the scanners sir to find them?"

Phoenix getting to his feet says, "No we dealt them a crushing blow. Besides I know Hawk he has four or five different routes out of here and it would take days to go through them all."

He looks around and says, "We're done here. Let's go home."

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 05-24-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #29
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post

“This… is Moloka’i.” The Director uttered as the Doctor positioned herself near the smartboard in anticipation of her turn to speak.

“It’s a bit over 250 square miles in area and less than a week ago had an estimated population in the region of slightly under 8,000…” The Director stalled for effect and swivelled in his chair towards the Vigilante.

“…at present it would be significantly less than that. Maybe 8. Maybe…”

The mouse clicks. The image changed from the island to the figure of a human, considerably the worse for wear.

“Jeez-us f***ing Chr…”

“Doctor…”

“This is Patient Zero, from Queens, New York.” The Doctor stated. “Last Wednesday she began showing signs of her disease…”

“That’s a f***ing woman?!?”

“Keep it down.” The Director ordered sternly.

“…facial lesions and major skin trauma, extreme degradation of the flesh…”

“I’m going to be f***ing sick...”

“Hey!” The Director barked.

“…Thursday the lesions had begun to spread, although still nowhere near the level we’re now seeing…”

“Thank f*** for that…”

“…she was able to see a doctor, late Thursday afternoon and a diagnosis was made.”

“And her Doctor let her go to on holiday looking like that?!?”

“She still didn’t look like this at that point, this photograph is the most recent we have… now please.”

“OK, sorry… What was the diagnosis?”

“Well, fortunately for us she was mis-diagnosed... With a disease many mistakenly believe to be dead in the Western world… Hansen’s disease.”

“Hansen’s disease?”

“Leprosy.” The Director replied. “Now let her talk.”

“It became apparent that this was a gross misrepresentation of her disease on Sunday morning, but fortunately she was in relative isolation at this point.”

“Eh?”

The Director speaks up. “I’ll field this one. It’s one of our country’s dirty little secrets that there’s a leper colony still operating on Moloka’i. The island was famous for it up until fairly recently and it’s strong in their history.”

“Thank you. Sunday morning Patient Zero began to show strong signs of aggression… uncharacteristic of the disease. She had bitten and scratched many who had attempted to restrain her.”

“Yesterday, less than 18 hours ago, this was transmitted and we received it shortly after…” The Doctor indicated to the Director who clicked the mouse again.

“The transmission at this point ends. We have two theories as to why. One is that they were also killed… The other is that they’ve been maintaining radio silence for fear of attracting unwanted attention to themselves.” The Director calmly stated.

“Fear of attracting her attention? But she’s frail, and they’d barricaded themselves in.”

“…Here’s where it gets a little interesting.” The Doctor began. “Patient Zero is the name for the first link of an epidemic. The disease, which we can now confirm is not Hansen’s Disease has been spreading via blood – these scratch marks and bite marks to be precise. And we can’t stress that enough. This disease is not airborne.”

“Why do I get the feeling I’m not going to like where this is going..?” Isaac thought.

“But the people she’s been scratching and biting have, upon infection, immediately gone into a feverish state…”

“I can feel it coming…”

“until their bodies have literally burnt out, died and…”

“Here it comes…”

“…re-awaken some time later. These people, after dying, are then in turn also prone to extreme acts of aggression, only unlike Patient Zero they have been found to be immediately aggressive upon re-animation.”

“aaaand Thank you and good night…”

“So your situation is that you’ve got an island full of zombies..?”

"Good, Gunny will be equipping you for the assignment. Please refrain from telling anyone else. With the delicacy of the situation at hand we can't have leaks. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't discuss this with the others until after your quarantine period as well. The less people know about this assignment the better, it will break eventually. But for now we keep it to ourselves. We 4, no more. Understand?"

"Perfectly..."

"Who would I talk to anyway these days..?" Isaac thought to himself as he left for equipment.

Gunny just stood there for a moment in stunned silence.

“Zombies you say? Like in the movies..?”

“Wow… that’s… That’s an interesting one…”

The Doctor and Director looked on.

“What kind of punishment can these zombies take..?”

“Well… from our best estimates they’re experiencing extreme cellular degradation…”

“Best estimates? You realise my job is to arm this kid for his mission, right? If you tell me they’re made of cotton wool and I send him out there with a blowtorch and they turn out to be immune to fire it’s his ass.”

“On-scene reports have confirmed they’re suffering from extreme cellular degradation.” The Director confirmed, looking off the Doctor for not being firm enough in her convictions.

“And when’s he getting dropped in?”

“Barring unforeseeable delays he should be prepared for an 8 PM drop tonight.” The Director stated.

“Anything else you want to tell me.”

“Yes, I don’t intend on losing an asset on their first day… That’s all.”

“Wow… I love you too, Chief...” The Vigilante fired back in retort.

The Director looked the Vigilante off, and returned his gaze to the former Colonel waiting for him to move into action.

Bracken rubbed his chin. “Alright, gimme that Desert Eagle back. You’re not going to need it where you’re going...” while the Colonel limped back towards his gun cabinet.

Happy with the progress, the Director and Doctor took their leave. “You two should be OK here. Once you’re prepped you know where my office is.”

The Vigilante grunted in confirmation and waved the Director off without looking with a simple open hand, as the door closed behind the fat man he dropped 4 digits to expose just the middle one at the closed door in his wake.

Gunny returned with 2 boxes of moderate weight. “Not really necessary, is it?” He said, referring the Vigilante’s gesture.

“Makes me feel better, and might be enough to stop me from doing something stupid… You know I didn’t keep that gun from before.”

“Course I did… But they weren’t going to go unless we did something.” The older man replied.

“Still don’t know what you have ‘gainst guns… Anyway this is what I’m thinking you’ll be taking with you at the moment – Beretta M9A1, it’s your standard U.S. Marine semi-auto side-arm of choice. Takes 15 in the clip. Fires off standard 9mill ball rounds, which gets mixed reviews from your stock standard soldier for stopping power, but should do fine since you’ll be going against people who are… how shall we say, a little softer in the head. I’m gonna load you up with a gun-belt with about 15 clips too… 15 by 15, if my math is correct should give you two-twenty fi’ rounds. That said, don’t waste ‘em, go head-shots. As I said, there’s been issues with stopping power but it’s the best the Aye-talians could come up with consid’ring the Hague Cons. And has your PeeVeeDee…”

“PeeVeeDee..?”

“Physical Vapour Deposition. It’s why the Marines use it… It’s an upgrade on your previous standard, still standard with Army, Navy and Air Force, ‘round 2006. In response to the Aye-rack and Afghani wars. Helps keep the desert sands out your shooter, or in your case, the beach.”

“Fair enough…”

“I’m givin’ you two of these and a silencer on each, don’t feel the need to go off shooting both at the same time like you’re John Wayne or somethin’. Head shots. With the silencer you shouldn’t be getting yourself in a position to need both anyway. Stealth is gonna keep your ass alive.”

There was a notable change in Gunny's personality in this place when he had a gun in his hand. He let himself be comfortable in a way Isaac seldom saw. His tone, his mannerisms, it was like part of him was back home... wherever Gunny really called home.

"Now they're your standard handgun... "range" out to about 50 yards, but as you'd well know intended for use a lot closer than that."

"Have you got anything else for me?"

"Like what? You're going to have over 200 rounds, what else could you need?"

"Anything for in close?"

"In close? You don't want to get in close... You get in close, you get dead."

"I'm not going to want to need an emergency chute either, but I'd feel better having one for the drop..."

"Pointless weight. You're going to want to be able to move, you're already going to have 15 clips hanging off of you when you normally carry none. Feel this weight... That may not feel like much, but fifteen of those..? It adds up."

"Just gimme a pair of sticks. I'll feel better."

"You might feel better, but if give them to you, you may want to use them... You don't want to get in close with zombies. Keep moving, back-pedal, balance each shot, head-shot sweep and back-pedal again."

"..."

"What?"

"You've thought about this before..."

"You'd be lucky if you found a veteran who hasn't dreamt of it..."

"Really? You haven't had enough shooting for a lifetime? You have to dream of..?"

Isaac drifted off. No point asking this question, what good would that do..? Focus.

"I'd just feel a lot happier if I still had a pair of sticks if I wind up getting in close, holster on my back and I wouldn't even notice the weight."

Gunny sighed. He knew well enough that once the black garbed hero made his mind up there was only two options - give him what he wants or argue until the end of time.

"Fine... But do me a favour..."

"..?"

"Keep that thing over your mouth." Gunny said, pointing to the Vigilante's voice modulator/air purifier. "You don't want blood spatter or anything getting in your mouth... And be fast. Caught means dead."

"Thanks, Gunny." Isaac could see that the older man was still not overly pleased with the way their conversation went.

"Not so fast... I want to see how you use this gun. It's not the same as what you had before."

"No, it's lighter..."

"Just fire off a few clips. You want the sticks? Then do what I ask."

Isaac followed him into the shooting range. He felt nervous. "I'll just unload the full clip into any target he says and say I wasn't really aiming if he queries me..." he thought, already planning excuses for his shooting performance.

Isaac raised the firearm.

"No, it's a left."

"Hmm?" Isaac aimed the Beretta across the range to a target sheet on the left side of the range.

"No. IT'S a LEFT."

Isaac turned and offered the Colonel a confused expression. The old man sighed and took the firearm from Isaac's right hand and stuffed it in his left.

"What? It's a left handed gun? That's ridiculous..."

"It would be ridiculous if it were a left handed gun... It's just been set up for left handed use." Gunny said taking the pistol back.

"See? Left hand... right hand.... left hand... right hand... left hand..." Gunny manipulated the gun, his hands a blur.

"D'you see?"

"I have no idea what you're saying..."

The older man sighed "It has a reversible magazine release button... It was set up to be fired with your left to make it easier to load a fresh clip. We set up one for your left, one for your right and you're golden."

"Show me what you just did again..."

"I'll show you how to pull the whole damn thing apart and re-assemble it in whatever way you want in a second... but first, peel off a clip. Left hand!"

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."

Last edited by Hound55; 05-28-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

OOC: Previously...

I wake up, with the bed space beside me empty...and I'm not surprised. I was a jerk. What I am slightly surprised is...how she didn't 'let me have it'. I was clearly in the wrong. Clearly taking out my frustrations in the wrong way and refusing to open up about them. But...Chrissy didn't do a thing. Even though she was in the right to.

It's odd, really. Flux has been...amazing, really. Practically perfect gal. An exact opposite of Grace in a lot of ways, really.

Oh, crap. I'm doing what one should never do. I'm comparing my current relationship with past ones.

...aaaaand now I can't stop thinking about that. The differences. The similarities. The happy moments. The sad ones. The 'man you really messed up now' ones. I was with Grace for years...now it's been about a half a year with Chrissy. And to my luck there haven't been as many fights. Though the first several months are supposed to be easy anyway, right? It gets easier to fight with someone you love because you love them so. As strange as it is. Although...my relationship with Chrissy has been very different in every aspect possible. Could the sole reason be that she's an alien? Not saying it is a culture differences exactly...but in that she has a easier way of relating and coping with the things we go through doing this hero gig?

*DEET DEET DEET*

That's the alert ring on my Guardian comm-link. The new guys in charge's way of saying 'get to work'. I get up, and wash my face with some cold water for a moment to truly wake up.

So much has changed within The Guardians since the big nasty Battle Royale between Icon and that S.T.R.I.K.E. experiment. The Government has gotten much more involved in our operations, as though we were some CIA spec ops group doing all this hero stuff for a salary. 'Save the day, make some benjamins' type of deal. But I have little use for a government salary. So they already know to give my 'earnings' to the orphanage I was left at as an infant.

"Morning."

The awkward 'morning'. That's how I chose to talk to Flux after last night? Utterly brilliant you moron.

"...good morning, babe."

"Looks like the Director has me on babysitting duty today."

"Babysitting?"

"Yea, some midget performer at the traveling circus that is in town. They think that he's a meta and want me to put my wings to good use and perch on a nearby tree or something and find out what I can about him, I don't know. Frankly I'm hating the whole concept of receiving 'missions'. Plus from the dossier I got on the guy he wears a blue leotard. So I don't know how I'm going to be able to concentrate when all I'm really going to be doing is trying to stop myself from instead seeing a life-sized Smurf."

I grab a milk from the fridge as Chrissy is scrambling some eggs and pour myself and her a glass.

"We made the choice to stay, Michael. You and I. We agreed on it and I left my home in San Diego to make this work."

"...you think he would be ashamed of us? I mean...I've no doubt that he's in Heaven but I've been too...let's just say I haven't tried to use my connections to see if I could be a bother. Here I am, like some government lap dog being told where I am to defend instead of being a citizen to the World."

"Sco--Icon...if all you did was stand atop the Guardian HQ in the Archangel State day and night just to remind the World that justice is watching...he would be proud. Is that what this is all about, babe? Icon? Last night?"

*DEET DEET DEET*

I sigh...but honestly this kinda saves my ass. I answer my comm and quickly answer the big guys in...well I don't know quite where The Director and the other guys pulling out strings are now, but as always I make sure to give them a piece of my mind.

"I'm not a performing monkey, you know."

"Haha. As charming as ever. We simply wanted to know if you needed your coordinates because--"

"I've got them right here. I even drew a dry face on the map connecting the dots. Ironic, isn't it? I mean...couldn't you give this mission to Youngster?"

"He was a possible candidate for this mission, but...at the same time that could put the general public at greater risk. Our intel makes us believe that this meta may be more powerful than you are willing to believe. Sending someone such as yourself...given the origins of your abilities...well, you are our ace in a hole."

Right about now I wish I was the 2 of clubs.

"I'm heading over right now. And I swear...if you guys buzz me again, I'll--I'll...let one rip that I'm holding right now just for you."

"Michael!"

I cover up the comm, and answer back to Chrissy.

"I'm kidding...I just let one rip now I couldn't even hold it in for 3 seconds it was hurting so bad. Quiet...deadly."

I mouth 'sorry' to my gal and The Director finishes up.

"Haha...good luck, Archangel--zzt."

Putting the comm-link down at the counter, I look over at Chrissy, and take her hand.

"...when I get back from this nonsense of a mission, I'll talk about last night...and the past several random incidents. Ok? I'm real sorry I've been such an ass, babe."

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #31
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Adam looks at several computer monitors showing schematics of Eve's Neural Net as Colter enters his study.

Colter says, "I thought once you defeated her that your obsession might be at an end."

Phoenix without looking at him says, "No my friend. Defeating her was to be a means to an end. Her Neural Net is unlike any kind of computer ware that the world has ever known. It works in perfect sync with the biological aspects of her brain while also helping her in her cybernetic abilities along with so many other qualities. Brother Paul took what I started with and took it to not only the next level, but at least 3 levels above that. Most impressive indeed."

Colter asks, "You're going to try and build your own?"

Phoenix replies, "Once I crack the technical codes and figure out the parts. Eventually but we are years away from that one. I just marvel at what my former pupil has done. I even a sense of pride for him, and for what I accomplished this day."

Colter says, "You were most impressive sir."

Phoenix says, "Thank you my friend. Hawk though he still troubles me."

Colter says, "As you said earlier they had been dealt a crushing blow."

Phoenix stands up and walks to Colter, "And that's true to a point. Hawk is a dangerous man in any situation, and a cunning warrior. Truly a worthy adversary and worthy of my attention, and right now he is wounded, but if there is one thing I've learned and that is there is nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal. Hawk will not take this laying down. He will be seeking a re-match."

Colter nods and Phoenix says, "Begin increasing your profile in and around the city. Hawk may start showing up when you do. Let him know we are still here, and see what he does."

Colter asks, "Should we be concerned about Eve coming back?"

Phoenix scuffs and says, "She has been dealt with. She was spirited, but I doubt we will be seeing her again anytime soon. Eve is no longer an issue for me."

Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Brother Paul is laboring over a keyboard and studying a computer monitor in the auxiliary base. To say it is spartan is to be kind, but this base was only designed to be used in case of emergencies which Hawk & Paul are currently facing.

Eve lays on a lab table mouthing numbers but with no sound coming out of her.

Deacon Hawk enters the room and says to Brother Paul, "I see you finally got her to stop saying 'click here' what did you do?"

Paul replies without looking up from his work, "I have a sub-routine in the Neural Net that I was able to access. I gave the Neural Net a new order."

Hawk asks, "And what was that?"

Brother Paul replies, "I told it to count to the last digit of Pi."

Hawk nods and says, "And since there is no last digit to Pi..."

Brother Paul says, "It will busy for sometime while I try to fix the damage. Deacon he really, to be blunt, screwed her up. Viruses, Spam, you name it it's here."

Deacon asks, "Can you fix it?"

Paul replies, "Maybe."

Deacon nods and says, "I talked to the Council in Vatican City."

Paul stops and looks at Deacon and waits for Deacon to speak.

Hawk says, "They acknowledged that I was right to deem Collins, or Phoenix as they now call him as well, as a threat all those years ago, but stopped just short of saying they were wrong or apologizing."

Paul nods his head and says, "Of Course."

Hawk continues, "I think I should get points alone for not saying 'I told you so', but I digress. They want Phoenix stopped however they agree with me that stopping is not going to be easy and there is a plan in the works to deal with the aftermath."

Paul asks, "Aftermath?"

Hawk says, "Phoenix's company is a global entity, and with it being based here in Lock Haven if Phoenix were to go to jail the economic losses and job losses would be catastrophic. As I said though there is a plan in the works."

Paul asks, "What about Eve?"

Hawk takes a deep breath and says, "The council said you have three weeks to get her back up and running or it's all over."

Paul is stunned as he mouths "three weeks".

Hawk nods and Paul says, "Unreal. Forget the primitive equipment here, to fix the damage alone I'd need at least 6 months of uninterrupted work just to get started, and rebuilding The Serpent is not going to be a lot of fun either. There is the bigger concern."

Hawk asks, "What's that?"

Paul replies, "Deacon she is half-human. What he did to her in taking her apart, damaging her Neural Net to almost the point of beyond repair which has affected her mind, her pain sensors are lit up like a Christmas tree, and the physical beating. The psychological damage is going to be the hardest part to repair and that is something I can't control. Ethically."

Hawk says, "The Serpent I can do. I know how to fix motorcycles and if I recall you once said that if The Serpent was put back together after being destroyed the A-I would take care of the computer aspects. Now what is this about ethic issues that you have?"

Brother Paul replies, "You're right about the Serpent. Concerning Eve I have a program where I can wipe out her memory completely. She would forget her life as Cassie Yates, meeting us, the work she has done, and Phoenix. She would be a blank slate, and I would implant commands and training in manually. I don't know though if I have the right to make that decision for someone else."

Deacon says, "If it means getting her back then..."

Brother Paul looks crushed as Deacon says, "I don't like it either, but time is not on our side. We don't have many options left."

Brother Paul bows his head and enters a series of command and says, "Read to mind-wipe on your command, sir."

"Sir" is said with a great deal of respect being lost.

Deacon bows his head and says, "God have mercy. Proceed."

Just as Brother Paul reaches over to hit "enter" a very human sounding Eve says, "Please help me Brother Paul. Help me. Help me please."

Paul and Deacon look at Eve as she slightly turns her head and says, "Help me...please. Don't take my memories. Help me. Please. Save my memories please help me."

Paul looks at Deacon who says, "You heard the lady Paul. Help her out."

Paul smiles and says, "You bet. I must've done enough repairs to get some of her Neural Net back on-line."

Deacon says, "Or it could be the Human Spirit is really stronger than we know."

Brother Paul says, "Touche. All-right If you'll excuse me I got a...friend to save."

Deacon Hawk nods and says, "I got a motorcycle to fix as well."

Deacon looks at Eve and says, "Welcome back."

Eve gives a half a smile as Deacon leaves the room and Paul resumes his work.

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 06-07-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #33
Hound55

“This is the most important item you’ll be carrying.” The Director said, holding up a small device.

“You can fit a parachute in there..?” Isaac uttered with a smirk.

“This is the equal most important piece of equipment you’ll be carrying… it’s why you’ll be carrying a back-up, just like your parachute.”

“This is your communicator. If you fail to respond to any communication within 10 minutes, the order will be put forward to load incendiaries, a plane full of napalm and another with Mark 77s – there’s no chances being taken with this. Within 2 hours, wherever you are on the island will be well over one and a half thousand degrees and the air you’re trying to breathe will be on fire.”

“So don’t put you on ignore then… Got it…”

“If you don’t receive a confirmation of any communication being sent, assume it’s broken, head for the nearest beach and start swimming…”

“2 hours? That doesn’t give me much of a window…”

“Could be two hours… Depends on wind, can’t have napalm blowing across Maui. Two hours is the earliest the birds can be in the air though and the President is going to want to pull the trigger as early as possible to risk the blow back if any of this gets leaked.”

“Blowback?”

“Yeah, easier to deal with it if it’s already happened. If people know the situation you wind up with deliberation. Bi-partisan politics you’re giving others a chance to build a case against what you’re doing and build support for an alternative, even if an acceptable one doesn’t really exist. I don’t really envy him to be honest, torching American soil is never going to win you a popularity contest…”

“Your communicator fits… here.” The Director said, demonstrating. “And if it falls out on the jump you have a spare unit strapped in here. Any questions?”

“If there are people, where are they likely to be?”

“Ah, yes. This hut here, there’s a CB radio for contact with the other islands. The message we received came from there. Again, we’re not certain of the status of any people in that hut now though. Approach everyone with caution, everywhere on the island.”

"And if I DO find anyone alive?"

"There'll be a smallish speed-boat awaiting you, here, a safe distance off the coast on Maui's side of the island... unless communications go down, in which case he'll be looking to get out of there before the bombs drop. If you call in and start swimming, he'll find you and pick you and anyone you've found up. We can't afford to take a bigger boat though, for the risk of drawing too much attention to off-shore. Besides, smaller boat - nip in, nip out... no problems."

"Right... no problems..."

"So, all set? Your drop planes loaded up and good to go. You'll be briefed on how to make your drop in flight."

The Vigilante left the room, strapped with ammunition and equipment.

"So, what do you think of his chances?" The Director asked the older Colonel.

"Well, I think you've just sent that boy, who can't shoot a lick, to a grim demise at the hands and teeth of a bunch of hideous ghouls..." Gunny thought to himself.

"Ahh... he'll be fine. I was about to ask you the same. He's lived through worse. Right..?" He replied.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #34
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Unsatisfied with his normal life,
Phillip Farley
resolves to become a superhero!
Through the power of Craigslist,
Phillip is on a mission to become...
THE AMAZING MAN!

There are countless reasons why I want to be a superhero. For one, it would give my life great purpose. Sometimes, I wonder if I really have any impact on the world. Kevin would certainly miss me if I was gone. Mrs. Stamp would only notice if I missed my last month's rent, and Mr. Turkin would only miss having his human punching bag. Secondly, I feel like I'd be good at being a superhero. I like to think that years of reading comics and watching movies has given me a strong moral center. I'd be like Superman, but without the undies-on-the-outside. Thirdly, it'd be flippin' sweet. No further explanation necessary. And lastly, if I were a superhero, I would always have to run out to deal with a crisis...

Which means I would never have to show up for coffee with Becca.

Rebecca Carson is my ex-girlfriend, but if you ever saw her and then looked at me, you'd never believe it. She's a solid eight-and-a-half getting called up to a nine, whereas I'm about a six... generously. So how'd I land that? Well, after years of dating "bad boys" and jerks - as hot girls are wont to do - she decided she had enough, and I was her foray into nice guy territory. Things were pleasant for a while, but she got bored and moved on. I would've been happy to leave it at that, but she insisted that we "stay friends." Our "friendship" consists of her yelling at me for not: 1) getting out of my dead-end job, 2) getting a haircut, 3) getting a new wardrobe, or 4) getting control of my life in general.

Most people, when they go to coffee with an ex, are met with a pleasant smile and a "hello." Me? I get: "You know I hate that shirt," with a look of disgust.

I look down. I'm wearing my "Achievement Unlocked - Left the House" t-shirt. "I'm sorry?" I reply sheepishly.

"You need a haircut, too" she continues. Oh, great. She's in a mood. "I always tell you: you'd look so much better if you just had them take it off your ears."

Subconsciously, I run a hand through my mop of hair. Shrugging, I say, "I don't know. I kinda like it long. Less maintenance."

"Phil," she rolls her eyes. "Until you start acting like an adult, no one's gonna treat you like an adult."

I consider saying, "You treated me 'like an adult,' if you know what I mean," but it's not worth the fight. In fact, there are a lot of things that I want to say to Becca, but I always back down. Deflection and avoidance are my problem-solving strategies. I'm sure if I had a therapist, she - yes, it's a she. And she's smokin' hot. - would tell me that it's not "healthy" to keep all this in. She'd probably also have something to say about my superhero ambitions...

When I get home after coffee with Becca, I want nothing more than to collapse. Which, of course, means that I immediately hop on my computer. After checking the routine sites - Facebook, ComicBookResources, SuperHeroBallyhoo - I then go to email. Now, my inbox has been absolutely spammed by requests for sexual favors following my Craigslist post, so I tend to ignore most. But every now and then, the subject line of one catches me and seems legitimate.

IMMEDIATE RESPONSE REQUESTED!

Most people who ask you to "show your t*ts" on Craigslist won't go out of their way to use big words like "immediate" or "response" or "requested." So I decide to open this particular email, figuring that if it's another joke maybe I'll get some laughs out of it.

Quote:
Poster,

I understand what you're trying to accomplish, and I stand for it. I, too, want to change the world. You need me, but I also need you. I have the tools, and you have the ambition. Together, we can make a difference. Respond as soon as possible, and we can arrange a meeting.

I look forward to our partnership.

-Merlin

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #35
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Colter, in the guise of Arron Collins, makes his way around the Phoenix Corporation smiling at everyone and saying, "Hello" and other pleasant things to everyone. It has been 3 weeks since he helped Phoenix attack Eve, and he has been following Phoenix's orders of increasing his public profile.

He then makes his way into his main office and closes the door. Colter then proceeds to bath his hands in Purell.

Ugh disgusting touching everyone and everyone touching me. Ugh.

Just then his cell-phone rings and Phoenix is on the other end of the line.

He answers, "Yes sir Mr. Phoenix."

Phoenix says, "Good job so far. Your appearances are helping raise the profile of our company on Wall-Street as well. Our stock is up over 20% from this time last month. I know that the personal appearance angle is something you have issue with, but the financial benefits aside this has to be eating at Deacon Hawk. I am sure at some point he will make his move and when he does I will be more than ready for him."

Colter replies, "I understand sir. Once Deacon Hawk and Brother Paul are dealt with I need a vacation."

Phoenix replies, "I assure you my friend once they are dealt with you will get a long deserved vacation. Right now though it's a matter of being patient and waiting for Hawk to make his move. He has had time to lick his wounds. It's only a matter of time."

Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Deacon Hawk and Brother Paul are standing over Eve who is currently undergoing the last of her Neural Net upgrades.

Brother Paul says, "I really wish we could test these upgrade out in a simulator. I'm not sure how she will respond. We've had her in stasis for almost the last five days."

Deacon Hawk replies, "I do too, but we don't have a simulator here. How she performs this evening will be the indicator of whether we get our new 'Church' or if the project is shut down. There are several at Vatican City who would love to see this project terminated, so time is not on our side."

Brother Paul enters a few last lines of code and says, "She is as ready as I can make her."

Deacon Hawk says, "All-right then bring her back on-line."

Brother Paul flicks a few switches and then disconnects a few wires and cables.

Deacon Hawk asks, "Eve can you hear me?"

She does not respond and Brother Paul asks, "Eve are you all-right? How do you feel?"

Eve after a few seconds of silence says in a very mechanical, "I hear you both and I am functional."

Deacon Hawk and Brother Paul look at one another and Hawk says, "It's good to see you again Eve."

Eve says, "I am ready to serve again. There is a 87.8 % likelihood crime being committed within the city limits of Lost Haven. I will stop it."

Brother Paul says, "Eve are you okay? This is pretty unusual for you to be so so..." he shrugs his shoulders and says, "robotic."

Eve turns to Brother Paul and says, "I am a cyborg. Robotic is part of my nature."

Deacon Hawk says, "Maybe it's the Neural Net upgrades that you need to get used to Eve."

Eve turns to Hawk and says, "I am fully functioning and ready to serve. Where is the motorcycle?"

Hawk says, "The Serpent is right over here ready to go."

Eve rises up and walks over to the Serpent and sits down.

The cycle springs to life and her helmet morphs from her visor.

She says to Hawk & Paul, "I will call have if I need for assistance."

Eve takes off on The Serpent and Paul says, "I've seen more personality and life out of an unplugged toaster."

Hawk says, "Did you do anything to her programming that is causing her to disengage or ignore her humanity?"

Paul replies, "No I didn't."

Hawk says, "She must be consciously ignoring her humanity. It's important for her to remember who she is her humanity is part of what makes her unique."

Paul says, "Well we can keep track here on the monitor through her Neural Net. Let's hope for the best."

Paul enters a command and is able to see what Eve is seeing and hear what she is hearing and they begin recording to send the footage to Vatican City.

Eve comes across a bank robbery in progress. She dispatches the criminals with cold-calculated efficiency, but doesn't kill them.

Paul says, "Well at least she is functioning in that sense."

Hawk nods and says, "Yes, for the moment. I find this all rather troubling."

Paul looks at him and says, "So do I."

Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #37
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

SECRET ORIGIN

Sergeant Nicholas Hampton arrived at Mario's Ristorante & Pizzeria at close to three in the morning. Greeted by a police blockade, Sergeant Hampton stepped out of his police cruiser and reached for his pocket. Over the past few months, he had picked up a nasty smoking habit. He knew it was bad, but it helped relieve the stress. And there had been a lot of stress - even more so once Mantis relocated to downtown Lost Haven. The emerald-clad superhero helped the CPD when he could, but most of his time was spent in the city. Which left Sergeant Hampton to clean up the messes.

When he heard the call tonight, he couldn't believe it. Mario Baldassare had been murdered. For years, Baldassare had been under tight surveillance by a joint CPD/LHPD task force. Mario was one of the top suspects in the investigation into The Diamondbacks, an underground syndicate of crimelords and mobsters. Of late, Sergeant Hampton had been convinced that Mario was one of The Five: an elite group which controlled everything within The Diamondbacks. But, of course, there was no solid evidence to pin against Baldassare or any of the other suspects. Like their namesakes, Diamondbacks always shed their skin when the heat was on.

Just as intriguing as the victim was the other bit of information given to Sergeant Hampton by the dispatcher: Code Blue. Code Blue meant metahuman involvement. In the old days, Sergeant Hampton would bring in the Superhuman Detainment Squad, a separate division of the CPD designed specifically for cases involving metahumans. But the SDS had folded due to budgetary concerns and had been absorbed into STRIKE. Sergeant Hampton elected to return to regular duty within the CPD, but he missed the kind of firepower that the SDS afforded him.

Sergeant Hampton walked into the restaurant. The place had been evacuated, save for the officers investigating the scene and some of the employees who had been kept for witness testimony. Unfortunately, no one had seen anything. Mario Baldassare spent all his time in the backroom. The killer likely entered through the kitchen door in the back and made his way to the backroom unnoticed.

The police officers were more heavily concentrated near the backroom, where Mario's body had been found. One look at Sergeant Hampton's ranks, and they stepped aside to let their superior pass. Once he entered the room, Sergeant Hampton wasn't quite sure what he was looking at. Mario Baldassare's throat had been slit, but his dead body was suspended from ceiling by... wires?

No.

Webs.

Dwayne Allen was troubled to hear news of Mario Baldassare's death. The timing troubled Dwayne most of all. For weeks, Mario and the others had spoken of feeling like they were being watched. Kano even claimed that he had been harassed by some shadowy figure. At first, Dwayne assumed the claims were simply paranoid men scaring themselves with shapes in the shadows. However, with Mario's death, Dwayne could only assume that what they claimed was true: someone was targeting The Five.

Naturally, all thoughts immediately go to TJ "Bulldog" Morris and his Devil's Rejects, the Diamondback's chief competitors and antagonists. But this wasn't their style. The Rejects weren't about cloak and dagger, smoke and mirrors. They wanted the spotlight. They wanted attention. If they had killed Mario Baldassare, they would make sure that none would doubt their involvement. No, this murder may have been committed by a metahuman, but it was not the work of the Rejects.

"Good evening, Morris."

Dwayne turns and is met by a backhand. He goes sprawling up against the side of his desk. In the next moment, a hand is at his throat. Dwayne's body seizes up in fear. How did this person get here, into his office?!

"I'm sure you've heard about our friend Mario by now," the intruder hisses. Dwayne can't get a good look at him in the darkness. "I've gotta say: I was disappointed. He didn't scream once when I killed him."

"You won't get s*** out of me, neither," Dwayne spits.

The intruder throws him across the room. Dwayne's back hits the wall, cracking the plaster. The intruder climbs over Dwayne's desk and steps into the light.

"That's disappointing. I very much like the screams."

Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #38
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

(Still not quite...)
THE AMAZING MAN!
(...but close.)

After a series of email exchanges with the mysterious "Merlin," I'm happy to see that he's as serious about this mission as I am. He, too, sees the need for another big hero in the world - especially in light of Icon's untimely demise - and he claims he can help me reach that next step. So he gives me an address out in the suburbs and gives me a time to drop by so we can start making preparations together.

When I arrive, I'm surprised to find a very unassuming house. Just from the way Merlin talked, I thought he might live in a "lair" of sorts. Instead, it's just a simple two-story house. Blue aluminum siding, grey roof. There are two cars in the driveway: a Honda minivan and a Ford Taurus coupe. Ignoring the peculiarities of his humble abode, I step up the door and ring the doorbell.

A few moments later, a middle-aged woman answers the door in a plush robe, pink slippers, and with curlers in her hair. She doesn't say a word to me. She just stares at me blankly and chews her gum like a cow.

For a moment, I'm worried I've been scammed again. Y'see, most people on Craigslist are entirely juvenile and opt for simple pranks, like spamming a person's inbox with requests for sexual favors. However, some particularly deviant pranksters go so far as to lead a person along, make them think they're seriously interested only to send that person out into the suburbs to face a woman who looks suspiciously like that person's fourth-grade English teacher, Mrs. Lawrence. "I'm looking for... Merlin?"

Rolling her eyes, the woman opens the screen door. "In the basement," she says roughly, and I'm caught off-guard by just how deep her voice is.

As I enter the house, my fears escalate. I don't worry that I'm being scammed anymore. Now I'm worried my organs are going to be harvested or something. Clutching my stomach possessively, I make my way to the basement door. I should have told Kevin where I was going. Someone should know where to look for the body. I get a vision of Becca at my funeral. "He never got that damn haircut." I shudder.

I reach the bottom of the basement stairs, and the room is bathed in darkness. The only light is coming from a 50" plasma screen at the far end of the room. The person sitting in the *****in' gaming chair is playing Mass Effect 3. "Dude, you're going romance with Ashley? Rookie mistake!"

He pauses the game. "Liara doesn't do anything for me." He spins in his chair, and... oh my God, it's a twelve year-old. "Mr. Farley, I presume?"

I arch an eyebrow as high as human anatomy will allow. "I would 'presume' you were Merlin, but you're twelve years old."

"Thirteen, actually," he corrects. With a clap of his hands, the lights in the basement turn on. In the light, I get my first good look at the boy who would be Merlin. Shaggy, reddish hair. Freckles. He looks like a rejected Weasley child. "And why should that matter?"

"Thirteen year-olds really shouldn't be on Craigslist."

"Nothing I haven't experienced elsewhere on the web," he says with a wave of his hand. Hopping down from his gaming chair, he approaches me. I have a solid foot and a half of height on him. "For the record, you're not what I was expecting either. I thought you might be fatter."

"Thanks?"

Rubbing his chin, he takes a good look at me. "So you want to be a superhero." He pokes me in the abdomen.

"Ummm... personal space, much?"

"And you have no superpowers?"

I put my hands on my hips. "Would I be here if I did?"

"Come." Leading me back over to his gaming station, Merlin presses a button behind the television. The back wall of the basement slides away, revealing a hidden room full of strange looking equipment and inventions. "I've worked up a few prototypes."

"... does your mom know you have this?"

"Stepmom," he answers, "and she doesn't care what I do."

"That's... depressing."

Merlin doesn't respond. He simply rifles through the odd objects on the table in front of him. I guess it helps to have a hobby? Turning to me, he hands me what look like gauntlets. "Try those on." I do as he says, and the gauntlets snap snugly on my wrists. "Those gauntlets will augment your strength and give you a little extra punch."

"Ha. Zing."

Merlin gives me an odd look.

"Oh. That pun wasn't intentional."

"Same with those boots over there," he explains. "Now, there's a hidden nozzle in the gauntlets which connect to a flame thrower pack in the main suit. Try not to singe yourself."

He then picks up a pair of gloves and hands them to me.

"The fingertips of those gloves are fitted with miniature diodes. When you run a current through them, it will create a circuit which will allow you to emit bolts of electricity."

"*****in'!"

"However, the real crown jewel is the bodysuit," Merlin says. He leads me to the far corner of his workshop, where a mannequin is covered by a cloth. He removes the cloth, revealing a blue and white bodysuit. "This suit is capable of projecting an anti-gravity field, which--"

"I can fly?" I ask excitedly.

"Among other things. The anti-gravity field can be projected outwardly to a limited extent, allowing you to lift objects that you wouldn't normally be able to lift." He turns to me. "In an emergency, you can overload the anti-gravity generator. It will produce a seismic wave which will knock back everything within a certain radius. But be advised: the system will take a few minutes to restart, so you will be without the anti-gravity field during that period."

"Got it. Don't blow your load too early."

Merlin gives me a look. "The suit is also equipped with an ionic disruptor." Seeing that these words have no meaning to me, Merlin explains, "The disruptor will release an ionic charge into the atmosphere. This will produce a disturbance."

"A lightning storm?" I ask.

"Precisely. Obviously, you can't control the storm, so this is a last resort. You could strike yourself or others with lightning, so only use this when you're outnumbered and outgunned."

I stand back and admire all of Merlin's work. Hard to believe this was all made by a thirteen year-old. In his basement. In between Mass Effect 3 missions. "Okay, so there's my offense. What about defense?"

"The anti-gravity field will deflect the brunt of most attacks, but I've also padded and insulated the suit," Merlin replies. "Try to avoid being shot, though. I'm not sure the suit will protect against that."

I frown. "Good advice." Clapping my hands together, I say, "How do we get started?"

Merlin smiles. "I have just the thing."

Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #39
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

The man known only as Forsaken sat alone behind the vast computer array in the underground bunker that he and his compatriots have used as a base of operations since they were forced into hiding after being defeated on Nautican Island several years before. Since that day, they have remained here hidden away from the outside world, only venturing outside of the walls of their sanctuary when they were commanded to do so by their master. Though, he has been more reluctant to send them off since the death of their comrade Riot at the hands of Icon and the traitor Haze.

Since that day, they have been on virtual lock down, the master not wanting to risk losing another of his lieutenants, especially when they were so close to freeing Lord Blackwind from his eternal prison. Their master had waited millenia to be free, to escape the hell that he had been damned to when he had been trapped between dimensions. And he had promised them that they would be gods among men when he was finally free.

Of course, they had been skeptical, but then he showed them what he was capable of, even as a mere phantom in this reality. Lord Blackwind had imbued them with his own power, magnifying their abilities tenfold. He had explained that while he was trapped between dimensions he was limited in what he could do, but that when he was finally free, those who stood beside him would be justly rewarded, and that this “little gift” as he had called it, was only the beginning.

And now they were on the verge of finally freeing him.

It had taken some time, but they had at last located a source of power that contained enough energy to momentarily break the thin veil between worlds, opening a portal that would allow Lord Blackwind to finally gain a foothold in this reality. And when that day finally arrived, nothing would ever be the same again.

“What news do you bring me?” A voice boomed from behind the console. Forsaken did not have to turn to know the source, but he did anyhow.

“We’ve found it my Lord. The skull is currently the property of the British Museum, however...it is on loan to the Metropolitan Museum in New York. We should have little trouble retrieving it.” He humbly answered.

“Go then, take Richter and Helos. Leave nothing to chance, bring me the skull, and when I am free...I will rule this realm with you at my side.”

Last edited by NiteMare Shape; 07-31-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #40
Hound55

This feels wrong. Very wrong. I’m all suited up in my black gear with a parachute strapped to my back flying somewhere over the vicinity of Hawaii. With two side-arms, some rudimentary equipment, some radio devices for communications, my sticks and my grapple gun. About to be dropped on an island filled, not with members of the criminal element, or even the alien menace that threatened Lost Haven when I decided to take my Vigilante schtick off-shore (or had that decision made for me). Nope, this time I’m dealing with what seems to be the undead.

“Alright, once more. Roll back how you’re going to make this jump.”

“Oh come on...”

“Hey! Eyes front! Water jumps aren’t easy and should be trained for EXPERTS. You’re doing this on your first jump. Now I don’t know why in the hell that fat bastard wants your drop zone in the dip rather than dry land, or why we’ve been told we can’t land you there. Frankly, I don’t care. It’s our job and we’re gonna do it right. So walk me through how you’re going to do it before we get the green light.”

“Fine, I wait on the green light. I jump. I wait 3 seconds and pull my chute.”

“Why three seconds?”

“So that if it doesn’t work I have time to recover and find my back-up.”

“OK. One of ‘em’s opened, you’re floating, starting to drift towards an island landing instead of the drink...”

“I look and turn away, and using these I steer myself back to the water.”

“Good, you’re heading back to the sea. Now what?”

“Jump helmet comes off... Uhh... This. I have to pull this that way... and then this...”

“That’s right. The waistband – disconnect the left connector and then the reserve...”

“Then you said I have to sit back, like it were a sofa...? And then pull this...”

“Right again, sit back in the saddle and then completely remove the chest strap with the quick release... Alright, water’s coming up... What’s next and when do you do it?”

“Uhhh... These! I pull up on these and through my arms up.”

“Right, the ejector snaps for your leg straps... And don’t put too much thought into throwing your arms and head back... They’re the only thing holding you up, you should do it naturally as soon as you pull them. Now, when do you do that.”

“Right as I’m touching down.”

“OK, now the wind’s died and the canopy’s come down right on top of you, what do you do?”

“I find the tape that runs down one of the seams, and follow it til I swim out from underneath it and I get the hell away from it as fast as possible to prevent the risk of tangling myself further.”

“That’s right... Well you’re about as ready as we could get you without giving you a few practice jumps first. You’re good to go, and just in time! Go! Go!” he said as the light turned green, indicating that we were over the drop zone.

Seconds later I was in freefall. And things pretty much happened as we went through. Three seconds, pull, steer away from island, chest release. I pulled my leg ejectors a little early and free fell about 15 metres into the ocean, mainly because the thought of having to scramble around underwater trying to swim out from under the canopy did not sound at all like something I wanted to be involved with. Couple things I didn’t plan on... First, the water’s a hell of a lot colder than I thought it would be. Now they said it would be cold, but I was kind of thinking “Hey, I’m not dropping into the middle of the Pacific out of nowhere, this is sheltered waters off the coast of a Hawaiian island.” And second, even if it gets easier once I’m ashore, Gunny’s right about the weight of the gunbelt being deceptive, at least while swimming.

Fortunately, all of my stuff was waterproofed prior to the jump. Although it did mean I had to take a moment to find a quiet zombie-less spot to prep myself once I got on dry land. Wish that fat bastard didn’t tell me they maintained a lot of their faculties in various degrees though... Swimming in the ocean with the notion in your head that at any second the living dead can reach out from the murky depths is something I could have done without. It’s not something I could prepare for anyway, and the fear only got worse as I reached wading depth.

I spent a few moments sizing up the beach before making landfall, there was someone standing on the beach, their back to me. Fortunately I’d selected a fairly secluded part of the beach. I staggered onto dry land, my legs not yet used to walking again after my time in the air and sea. My eyes scan the beach, still only him and me – and he’s still not facing me. I pull a piece from a bag and approach silently across the soft sand.

“Hey!” I whisper hoarsely through the darkness, pulling the air purifier/voice modulator apparatus over my mouth.

“Gnnnnn..?” The figure turned. The only thing that made my decision easier than the gaping wound now visible in his shoulder, was the complete lifelessness in his eyes. It outstretched its bloodsoaked arms.

FWIP!

“Just checking... Two hundred and fifty-four to go...” Came the sterile sounding voice through the voice modulator.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #41
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

Lost Haven University's annual carnival always brought a renewed enthusiasm to the campus. Students and their guests would file into the fenced off campus common where they would enjoy a number of exciting rides and games, and many of the male students hoped to get their dates intoxicated on cotton candy and popcorn, in their eternal quest for alittle post date "excitement."

Kyle made his way through the crowd, his fingers interlocking with those of his girlfriend Erin Walters while Sam and Ronnie followed closely behind them. Kyle was reluctant to come tonight, he would much rather be out patrolling the streets of Lost Haven as his alter ego Lyger, but he knew how much Erin loved carnivals and knew that he would have to come up with a really good excuse to get out of coming...and that would just lead to another fight.

So he found himself here, and truth be told he was glad that he came. It had been awhile since he had taken a night off from patrolling. He was actually grateful for the chance to spend some much needed quality time with Erin, between school, working part time at the campus book store, and spending his nights doing his part in the fight against crime, he hadn’t exactly been the best boyfriend.

He felt guilty about it. Erin is a great girl and deserves to be treated better than he felt he had been treating her. He hated how often plans were scrapped at the last minute because of some emergency. Sometimes he thought that if he just told her the truth it would just make things easier, but then there was something deep inside that told him that he should keep the truth about his double identity a secret, at least for now.

"...Tilt-a-whirl." He heard Erin say.

"Huh?" He asked. He had been so lost in thought that he didn't even realize that she'd been talking to him.

"You were day dreaming again, weren't you?" She asked somewhat amused, yet with a slight edge of irritation creeping into her voice.

"Who me? Never..." He started to say, however, the look that she shot him stopped him cold. "Yeah, sorry."

"What is going on with you lately?" She asked, which is the same question that has started every one of their fights lately.

Kyle didn't want to fight with her, he really didn't. He just wanted to have a good time with his girlfriend and two of his best friends. Just this once.
He didn't want to have to try to explain any disappearing acts, he didn't want to have to collar any criminals. He just wanted to ride some carnival rides, and win the woman he loved an overstuffed teddy bear...was that too much to ask?

"Uh...yeah. That's my fault actually." Ronnie spoke up as if on que. "I kept him up late last night working on a project for my thermodynamics class."

Erin just looked at him.

"What can I say? He just can't party like he used to." He said with a lopsided grin.

Erin looked at Ronnie, then back to Kyle.

"Yeah...I'd probably be out of it too." She admitted as she squeezed Kyle's hand. She then looks to Kyle as a somewhat sinister grin begins to creep onto her face.

"I know what'll wake you up." She says as she leads him by the hand in the direction of the Gravitron.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #42
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

(Almost...)
THE AMAZING MAN!

After Merlin's impressive display of equipment that's going to put the "super" in "superhero," he leads me into an adjoining room, and I start to wonder just how large this basement really is. The fluorescent lights above our heads hum as Merlin walks over to a metal case against the back wall. He places his hand over a scanner, and the case unlocks with a "beep!"

As the metal door slides away, I furrow my brow. "What's that?" I ask. "A sidekick?"

"A nemesis," Merlin replies. He stands back to admire his automaton. (That's nerd-speak for "robot.") It looks like... well, there's no gentle way to say this... like C-3PO and Ultron had a sweet, sweet love affair. Sure, its chrome body is plenty shiny, and its "face" is sinister enough, but it still looks awkward.

"A what now?"

"Nemesis," Merlin repeats. "That's actually my name for it."

Creative. "And what does Nemesis do?" I ask, dreading the answer.

"He makes you look like a hero," Merlin replies. He picks up a rag and polishes a spot on Nemesis' shiny dome. "We unleash him on the city, and you bring him down. Instant hero."

Ignoring the fact that I'm uncomfortable with Merlin's casual use of the phrase "unleash him," I rub my chin. This is all... a lot to take in. Stammering as I search for the words, I say, "Well, I don't... I just thought... uh... couldn't I just save people from a burning building or something?"

"Are you a fireman?" Merlin fires back condescendingly. He folds his arms. "This is your debut. You want to get people talking." Rubbing the bridge of his nose, Merlin continues, "Look, this town is crawling with superheroes. There's a new one every week. If you don't set yourself apart, you're going to end up booking birthday parties in the suburbs within a month."

"That really happens?"

"Do you want people to take you seriously or not?"

"Well, of course I do."

"Then use Nemesis," Merlin replies. "Besides, think about the benefits. We control him! We can make sure that you come out on top! If you wait for a real supervillain, there's no guarantee you'll win, and do you really want to be remembered as the guy who lost in his debut?"

I bite my lip. "I guess not..."

"You let me worry about the details," Merlin suggests. He walks up to me and tries to put his hand on my shoulder. He settles for my upper back. "For now, I want you to take the suit home and get some practice with it. But don't burn your apartment down. I'll contact you when Nemesis is ready."

Despite my sincere doubts, I crack half a smile. This is it. I'm really going to be a superhero.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #43
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

It's been about 2 weeks since Eve went back out on the streets. Her performance has been judged to be satisfactory by the Council in Vatican City so as to allow The Society to continue functioning.

Deacon Hawk and Brother Paul however are troubled by Eve. She has completely lost her sense of humanity and become very robotic in her responses and actions. Eve is start to show signs of little or no regard for the feelings and actions of others in a human sense. She no longer has no issue of taking someone down with brute force and causing them as much pain as possible.

They have made sure that the media hasn't seen her so as to keep her return a secret from Adam Phoenix for the time being.

Brother Paul watches Eve on the monitors on a late night ride through the city. Hoping that the lack of criminal activity and just being out and about might spark some sort of human response.

Deacon enters the room and asks, "Anything yet?"

Paul shakes his head, "Not a thing. She looked at a bird in flight and did a zoological profile on it. I knew it would take sometime to get her back in the game, and I would've though she would've shown some signs by now but Deacon this is just unreal."

Deacon says, "I agree, but the council seems to think she's all-right for their purpose."

Brother Paul asks, "Any word on when we might be getting out of this little paradise?"

Deacon Hawk replies, "They have a crew working round the clock at an undisclosed location. From what I've heard it should be within a week."

Just then Eve says, "My audio-sensors have picked up the sounds of a woman in distress in the alley of Pearl & Phillips Street. I will investigate."

Paul says to Deacon, "Great. I was so hoping she wouldn't put anyone in the Hospital tonight."

Eve arrives to a darkened alley and sees a woman being assaulted. She starts to approach but hesitates for a moment as the sound of a drill on car hubcap also fills the air. She eventually stops and says, "I...I..."

Paul says, "Eve go to it. She needs your help."

The images of Phoenix thrashing her and the cyber-bomb begin to fade in and out on the monitors.

Hawk says, "I was wondering when this might happen. Eve go help her."

Eve says, "I....I...can't...I'm...I..."

Hawk shouts, "EVE MOVE!"

Eve drops to her knees and begins to shake.

Paul says, "Her vitals are elevating to dangerously high level. It's almost as though the Neural Net is enabling her visions to seem real to her."

Hawk says, "I know we should've taken her memories when we had the chance! She is so useless to us now! I knew this would happen!"

Suddenly Eve's vials begin to decrease and her breathing returns to normal as she says in a growl, "Screw you Hawk!"

Paul looks at Hawk now has a grin on his face and he quickly winks at Paul.

Paul says covering the mic, "You knew that would do it."

Hawk shrugs his shoulders and says, "Call it a leap of faith."

Eve heads down the alley and says, "Hey!"

The 3 men look at Eve as she says, "The lady said no, and I seriously that car belongs to you!"

One of them approaches with a knife drawn and says, "This one is mine."

He lunges at Eve who sidesteps him and grabs him by the back of his shirt and throws into a wall.

Eve asks, "Who's next?"

Eve dispatches the other two and waits with the woman until the police arrive. Once they do Eve gets on The Serpent and takes off.

She says, "Hawk! I know what you did and that was a low blow!"

He replies, "It worked didn't it?"

Eve, with a smile in her voice, replies, "Thank you. Thank you both for not giving up on me."

Hawk says, "You're welcome, and welcome back. Bring it home Eve it's time to start planning our retribution concerning Phoenix. If you're up for that?"

Eve says, "My pleasure."

She throttles up on The Serpent and jumps over a car and lands flawlessly.

Oh yeah I'm back!

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 06-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #44
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

SECRET ORIGIN

"Incredible!" Dr. Milton Reed, metahuman expert, exclaims.

"I get that a lot."

Dr. Reed is one of the foremost authorities on the metahuman gene. He made a name for himself as the resident chief physician of the Superhuman Detainment Squad, where he examined and treated countless incarcerated metahumans. It also made him my personal doctor, seeing as how Mantis can't just walk into the hospital and ask for treatment. When the SDS went under, many in its former employ were scattered to the wind. Dr. Reed was among them. Luckily, I was able to find him again, here in downtown Lost Haven.

"Mantis, you don't understand!" he insists excitedly. "The development of your secondary powers was peculiar enough! But a tertiary mutation...!"

Yep, you heard him right, kids. I have a few more tricks for my arsenal. I discovered them this time when I was infiltrating a Devil's Rejects storehouse in the city. I was nearly discovered snooping around by a patrolling guard, when suddenly I blended into the wall. Turns out I can do this neat camouflage thing now. It's not perfect, but in dark spaces I'm practically invisible. And speaking of dark spaces, that was my second discovery. I killed the lights in the place to disorient the goons, only to realize that my vision was nearly perfect. It's sure made patrolling at night a lot easier.

"Will there be more?" I ask, bringing up the million-dollar question. New powers are cool, but I can't help but wonder when - or if - it will stop. We're already scraping the bottom of the barrel as is.

Dr. Reed throws his hands in the air. "I didn't even anticipate your second mutation. Now this? Honestly, it's all very fascinating!"

"Simmer down, Doc. I know you've got visions of dissertations dancing in your head, but this is my life we're talking about here. I don't want to wake up tomorrow with antenna sticking out of my forehead."

Dr. Reed nods, a more solemn look replacing the flabbergasted smile on his face. "Of course," he agrees. "I know this all seems like it's spiraling, but your mutations have been almost a full year apart. There's no reason to anticipate a sudden change in the near future."

"But it could happen?"

"Down the line, yes," Dr. Reed admits.

Well, great. Nothing like having that ticking time-bomb over my head. Someday, down the road, I might be more Mantis than Sean Abbott. It's enough to make a guy wish he didn't have superpowers to begin with. "Well, thanks for the consultation, Doc. I'll make explicit instructions to donate my body to you should anything happen to me."

And with that, I exit through the open window. I've gotta get back to the Lost Haven University campus before dark. That way, I can grab a shower and a bite to eat before I go out on patrol again. No reason to let my anxiety keep me from my routine. Besides, I'm actually excited to test my camouflage and night-vision in the field. Maybe being half-insect won't be all bad.

I make it back to LHU at sunset, and after a quick change, I'm on my way back to my dorm room in Parker Hall. I've gotta say, LHU is beautiful. It has everything I wanted in a college: an urban campus with a classic collegiate feel, green grass quads, lush trees lining the sidewalks, tasteful neoclassical architecture... I'm incredibly happy here. That's not to say that I didn't have my reservations about the change in scenery, but both Sean Abbott and Mantis are flourishing in the big city.

When I get back to my room, my roommate, Chris Lee, is doing homework at his desk with his headphones on. I half-hope to sneak past him, but he sees me entering through the corner of his eye. He removes his headphones from his shaved head and spins in his desk chair. "Not so fast, Sean!" He gets up from his chair. He's got a few inches than me and is broader in the shoulders. Don't think he can lift a small car, though. "I've got a bone to pick with you!"

"Oh?"

"Don't 'oh' me. You know exactly what I mean." You know, when he gets upset - and I'm not just saying this because he's Samoan - he kinda reminds me of The Rock. "What happened with Christine?"

"Oh."

"Yeah, that's what I thought. She told me that you ran out on her halfway through dinner."

Jewelry heist. Three guys, two gunmen and a driver. They drove right past the restaurant where we were having dinner. I had to do something. "Well, it wasn't anything personal against her..."

Chris arches an eyebrow. "She took it personal, and I think you can see why."

I hang my head in shame. I do feel bad, because Christine was a nice girl. And I know Chris was just trying to do something nice for me. He really is good at playing matchmaker. But my heart wasn't in it that night, and I was actually itching for an excuse to suit up and get an adrenaline rush. Now, hearing this from him, I feel terrible about how I treated the poor girl.

"I think I know what this is about," Chris says.

I look up. "You do?"

He nods. "You're still thinking about Brooke."

He's not wrong. Brooke and I had a long talk at the end of the summer, and we reached a few conclusions. Most momentously of all was that we'd be better off as friends going into college. Between the stresses of getting adapted to collegiate life and my stresses as a crime-fighter, plus the distance, we decided it'd be better to go our separate ways. We remain incredibly close, but we're not romantically involved with one another. I haven't really seriously dated anyone since.

"You're probably right," I admit, deciding that it's better to let him think that than to start suspecting other things. It's been hard enough to keep my secret with a roommate.

"How about this? This weekend, we'll just have guy time," Chris suggests.

I smile. "I'd like that, actually."

Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #45
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Colter, in the guise of Arron Collins, is attending the opening of the latest nightclub in Lost Haven.

He mingles among the crowds, buys people drinks at random, takes pictures, and signs autographs.

Just then he sees a leggy brunette from across the night-club at a table alone. She catches his attention with her "come-hither" looks at him and very flirtatious smile.

Well, who am I to say no to some of the fringe benefits of this double life?

He walks over and says, "Don't tell me you're all alone? A beautiful woman like you. I find that hard to believe."

The Woman says in a very sultry voice that could melt a glacier, "I have my standards. I'm special and I wanna be treated as such."

Colter says, "Allow me to introduce myself I'm..."

The brunette interrupts and says, "Arron Collins. Everyone knows you."

He says somewhat uncomfortable, "Well then Miss you seem to have at a disadvantage. I don't know who you are."

She says, "I'll give you my name when it matters the most. For now just call me whatever you want."

Colter says, "You look like a Laura to me. Laura it is."

Laura says, "That works for me. So what's a nice billionaire like you doing in a place like this?"

Colter replies, "Just enjoy the nightlife and the benefits of my position within the city."

Laura says, "There are many positions I enjoy you know, but they're not for the public. I like enjoying the wildlife personally. Just being able to forget who I am and just letting go of all the limits that others put on me."

Colter is somewhat taken aback by Laura's forward nature, but enjoys that she seems to be a free spirit.

He says, "I can relate to that from time to time. Being able to step out of the large shadow that others cast on you and being free like tonight is wonderful."

Laura says, "I can help you feel your heartbeat like you never knew possible, and know what it means to feel a sense of awe and surprise like never before."

Colter asks, "And what do you have in mind?"

Laura stands up and says, "Follow me."

She takes Colter's hand and leads him out of the nightclub. They manage to slip away from the paparazzi and walk for a couple of blocks to a nearby parking garage.

Laura leads Colter to the 4th floor and pins him against the side of a Ferrari.

He asks, "Is this your car? Shouldn't we get into it before things get too far out of hand?"

Laura replies, "Oh no this isn't my car. My ride is over there actually."

Colter looks over and see The Serpent.

His eyes grow huge and his mouth hangs open. Colter looks at Laura who has morphed into Eve.

Eve says, "Surprise! You remember me now? I think you know my name Colter!"

Eve lifts Colter up 2 feet off the ground with one hand and she says, "Feel your heart beating! That's how you know you're alive!"

Eve throws Colter against a concrete pillar.

Colter begins backing away and Eve says, "Listen to me and listen good. Tell Phoenix I'm back and he better start praying now, because paybacks are hell and I wield a pitchfork like no one else that he has ever met before!"

She uses her speed and is now next to Colter and picks him up again.

Eve says, "He won the first battle, but the war has just begun and I assure you when I'm done with him he'll regret the day he escaped custody from The Society and you will suffer just as badly as he does."

Eve slams him into a wall and she walks back to The Serpent.

She gets on it and it starts automatically. Eve says, "If you have two working brain cells left in your head. You'll get in your car and just leave now, because if I see you again I won't be nearly as merciful as I've been this evening."

Eve tears off and Colter gathers himself.

He calls Phoenix and says, "Sir we may have a problem."

Phoenix hears Colter's re-telling of the events of the evening.

Phoenix says with seething rage in his voice, "Get back here now. We must prepare for war."

Phoenix crushes the phone in his hand.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #46
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMare Shape View Post
Lost Haven University's annual carnival always brought a renewed enthusiasm to the campus. Students and their guests would file into the fenced off campus common where they would enjoy a number of exciting rides and games, and many of the male students hoped to get their dates intoxicated on cotton candy and popcorn, in their eternal quest for alittle post date "excitement."

Kyle made his way through the crowd, his fingers interlocking with those of his girlfriend Erin Walters while Sam and Ronnie followed closely behind them. Kyle was reluctant to come tonight, he would much rather be out patrolling the streets of Lost Haven as his alter ego Lyger, but he knew how much Erin loved carnivals and knew that he would have to come up with a really good excuse to get out of coming...and that would just lead to another fight.

So he found himself here, and truth be told he was glad that he came. It had been awhile since he had taken a night off from patrolling. He was actually grateful for the chance to spend some much needed quality time with Erin, between school, working part time at the campus book store, and spending his nights doing his part in the fight against crime, he hadn’t exactly been the best boyfriend.

He felt guilty about it. Erin is a great girl and deserves to be treated better than he felt he had been treating her. He hated how often plans were scrapped at the last minute because of some emergency. Sometimes he thought that if he just told her the truth it would just make things easier, but then there was something deep inside that told him that he should keep the truth about his double identity a secret, at least for now.

"...Tilt-a-whirl." He heard Erin say.

"Huh?" He asked. He had been so lost in thought that he didn't even realize that she'd been talking to him.

"You were day dreaming again, weren't you?" She asked somewhat amused, yet with a slight edge of irritation creeping into her voice.

"Who me? Never..." He started to say, however, the look that she shot him stopped him cold. "Yeah, sorry."

"What is going on with you lately?" She asked, which is the same question that has started every one of their fights lately.

Kyle didn't want to fight with her, he really didn't. He just wanted to have a good time with his girlfriend and two of his best friends. Just this once.
He didn't want to have to try to explain any disappearing acts, he didn't want to have to collar any criminals. He just wanted to ride some carnival rides, and win the woman he loved an overstuffed teddy bear...was that too much to ask?

"Uh...yeah. That's my fault actually." Ronnie spoke up as if on que. "I kept him up late last night working on a project for my thermodynamics class."

Erin just looked at him.

"What can I say? He just can't party like he used to." He said with a lopsided grin.

Erin looked at Ronnie, then back to Kyle.

"Yeah...I'd probably be out of it too." She admitted as she squeezed Kyle's hand. She then looks to Kyle as a somewhat sinister grin begins to creep onto her face.

"I know what'll wake you up." She says as she leads him by the hand in the direction of the Gravitron.

Kyle and Erin were in line waiting for the Gravitron, while Ronnie and Sam sat at a bench near bye. Ronnie was never a fan of rides that spin you around at a high rate of speed, so he had decided to sit this one out, and not wanting to leave Ronnie by himself, Sam thought that she would wait with him.

Kyle wasn't a big fan of thrill rides lately himself. After the last several months racing from rooftop to rooftop, grappling all over the city, thrill rides just seemed a little less thrilling. However, he knew how much Erin enjoyed them, and he was willing to pretend to be excited for her sake.

Besides, he might just have a little fun anyhow.

After watching the ride stop to load and unload riders several times, Kyle and Erin finally made it to the front end of the line. Finally, the Gravitron slowed to a stop, and the attendant opened the door allowing the people currently on the ride to get off before the new load of riders can enter. Kyle paused for a moment as he approached the gate with Erin as he heard what sounded like a fireworks display going off in the distance.

Kyle was about to dismiss the disturbance and lead Erin onto the ride when there was another round of explosions, this time closer to them. This time however, the explosions were accompanied by the sound of screams. Kyle looked around him and saw that the carnival patrons had begun scattering around him as a small group of people made their way toward his location. He had heard stories about a gang of metas that had been terrorizing parts of Lost Haven since the fall of S.T.R.I.K.E, but he hadn’t seen them in action...until now.

“Uh...I think we better get going.” He said to Erin as he dragged her to where Ronnie and Sam were waiting for them, all the while looking for someplace to change into his costume.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #47
Nicodemus
Side-Kick

Noah Walker, the AWESOME ACROBAT
Arc I: Vendetta
Another Castle

My name is Noah Walker, and six months ago I became a super-hero.

See, I was playing on my high school basketball team when everything just felt...weird. I was just so light on my feet. I had always been quick, but this was different. And so when I saw those two defenders in front of me, threatening to ruin what had been a perfectly good fast break to the goal, I just...jumped.

Right over them.

Everyone just sort of wrote it off as a freak coincidence - adrenaline, what have you - especially because I couldn't do it again. But a few days later, when I woke up on the ceiling, I realized that it was a bit more complicated than that.

That's where my family life comes in. See, I'm adopted. I don't like to think of it like that and neither does my family, but it's true. My biological mother, Caroline Archer, was a strung out druggie when she had me. She was 15 years old. She made a lot of mistakes. But her biggest one was getting involved with a company called GATES. (That's Genetic Alterations To Enhance Safety.) They injected her, while she was pregnant with me, with a whole bunch of experimental stuff, and then let her run away. I was born, then taken away from her, then adopted. I didn't want anything to do with her. Still don't really, but she has custody of my half brother Charlie. The GATES drugs weren't so good to him. He's autistic.

But I'm going off on a tangent. I discovered my powers. I became a superhero. Running around in jeans and hoodie, calling myself "Acrobat". I did the secret identity thing for a while, but eventually my little sister Lucy caught me sneaking out. My parents weren't exactly thrilled with my extracurricular projects, but they were supportive. And that's all that matters to me.

So I did that for a little while, and then I learned a little bit more about who I was. My mom told me about GATES. I met and fought a girl named Jetstream, another GATES kid who had been tasked with finding and killing me. She said I was part of a control group, kids who had been raised outside the GATES fold so the scientists would have something to compare their more personal projects to. I was told to find a kid named Foster. I still haven't

I meant to. But only a few days after Jetstream I was shot by some meta-human hunting robots working for an evil government organization named STRIKE. Almost died. Was rescued by the Guardians, (so cool!) met my role model Archangel (even cooler!) got a new suit - a real suit, the one I'm wearing now. (Coolest!)

I helped the Guardians take down STRIKE, at least a little. Then I went off to find GATES. I've been hunting them for six months now, attacking facility after facility, but they've been irritatingly illusive. This is my most recent target, and hopefully my last.

I pull out my phone an log onto Twitter under the name TheAwesomeAcrobat. Yes, I use Twitter. I have about 7,000,000 followers at the moment - the number skyrocketed after I used Twitter to beat a psychic villain a few months back. (I sent a tweet telling everyone in Lost Haven to get to the park ASAP, and the massive number of thoughts overloaded the guy's powers. I think he's still in a coma. My quote "I didn't do this, twitter did" is still on the Twitter homepage. I am so proud.)

About to attack another facility. Wish me luck! #theydon'tstandachance

I don't bother trying to tweet about GATES directly anymore. Every time I try I just get an error message. These guys know the dangers of social media I guess.

I stand up and crack my knuckles, feeling myself grow lighter as the gravity around me loosens. I take a flying leap from the top of the building I'm standing on and crash through the window to the facility, screaming at the top of my lungs.

There are robots waiting for me. There always are. They open fire, but getting shot by robots is SO six months ago. I'm bouncing off the walls and ceilings too fast for them to track, forcing them to try to swivel around and adjust their aim.

I don't give them the chance. I dive into one, knocking it aside, and then hit him with a gravity fueled punch. A ton worth of force slams into the thing's chest and it explodes in a burst of sparks. The others are firing again but I'm already in the air, rebounding off a wall and grabbing one's gun. I swing it around and the bullets tear several other robots apart. A few quick punches take care of the rest of the robots, and suddenly I'm sitting in an empty room with nothing but scrap robot parts to keep me company.

So I start up the stairs. It isn't long before I hear the crackle of electricity and look up to see a terrified looking teenage boy staring down at me. Lightning dances around his frame, and he seems to be chewing on his lip.

I raise a hand and wave. "Well hello hello my good sir. I don't suppose you could direct me to the head honcho's office, could you?"

The boy's eyes widen and the lightning around flares. "Die!" He shouts, and twin columns of lightning fly towards me.

"Didn't think so," I say, leaping away. "No, you'd much rather just try to kill me."

"Oh God," the kid says, throwing more lightning at me as I slowly make my way up the stairs towards him. "Oh God, Oh God, please, just turn back, I don't want to hurt you."

"Really? Because you know, all the lightning is kind of telling me otherwise." I planted my feet in a railing and pushed, sending myself soaring up to the kid's level he stumbled backwards, terror in his eyes, and opened his mouth to protest.

I cut him off. "Yeah, yeah, I know. GATES is making you do it. But that really doesn't change much for me, except I might..." I kicked him hard in the chest, "go a bit..." I punched him in the jaw, "easier on you!" I shouted, slamming my elbow into his head. He groaned, and I grabbed him by the color, shoving him into the wall. "Who is Foster?"

"G-GATES kid."

"Yeah no duh Sherlock. Why is he important?"

"R-really strong. Best test results they've...ever seen..." the kid said. "I can't...I can't..." And then he passed out.

Poor kid. He wasn't anywhere near ready to fight me. GATES must've known I was coming - they always did, even though I never gave away any important information on Twitter. They randomly selected one kid to hold me off when the left - looks like this kid had won (or lost) the lottery.

I opened the door to the next room.

"Hello, Noah," the man said. He was tall, with brown skin and dark black hair that had begun graying at the temples. Clean shaven, immaculately dressed, with an expensive silver watch on his wrist.

"Christ, not you again." I said with a groan. This was how almost every raid ended - me and this guy sitting in a room talking. He was a teleporter, but that was all I knew about him. Whenever he showed up, the place was already devoid of any useful information. I had checked every single one to no avail.

The man chuckled. "Yes, me again. I'm afraid your princess is in another castle."

"Yeah, well it seems that all your base r belong to me," I shot back. "See, I can whip out clever video game references too."

"So it seems. And yet...no closer to finding Foster, are you?" He asked.

"Getting there. It's tough going but I'm a stubborn guy. I'll find him eventually."

"Of that, I have no doubt," the man said. "Eventually, Noah, you'll find Foster. It's very important that you do." He smiled. "Now, do try to enjoy yourself. Until we meet again, Mr. Archer."

"It's Mr. Walker!" I shouted as he vanished. "God I hate you..."

Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #48
Johnny Blaze
Freethinker

Walkabout
Part 1

The heavy raindrops beat down on the samurai's armor like a rythmic kettle drum. Kensei folded his arms across his chest and tried to snuggle closer to the trunk of the large tree as though it would provide some shelter from the down pour. It was a futile effort, the Swordsman knew, but it was human instinct that made him do it anyway.

He had been waiting along this woodland path in the rain forests of Oregon all day now, waiting for a sign of the creature that had attacked six hikers in a the span of one month. The last man to be attacked just happened three days ago, and the poor soul nearly died. He was rushed to the Providence Medical Center in Portland where doctors were able to save his life, though he would need major plastic surgery.

It was as though he was mauled by a grizzly, but the man claimed it was large, hairy, bipedal creature that attacked him. When he heard the news, Kensei knew it had to be a rogue Sasquatch. The legendary creatures were usually peaceful, and just frightened humans away who encroached on their territory with loud howls, throwing of rocks, and other primate tactics.

But this one was attacking people with extreme hate, and the Celestial Samurai knew the beast had to be put down before any deaths occured. It was a sad thing for Kensei to do, as the creatures were normally docile in nature. Something had to have happened to this Bigfoot to send it into a murderous rage like this. The Swordsman imagined Man was to blame; somebody had to have caused this particular Sasquatch serious harm to send it over the deep end.

Regardless, the beast had to be dealt with before the attacks got worse. And so Izanagi's Chosen sat in the rain, lost in his thoughts of the past year, as he waited in the beast's hunting grounds for a sign of the monster. As Musashi sat, his thoughts drifted away to Ami and Hideyoshi, his two friends...he had failed them both miserably. They had helped him defeat the man known as Leevoth as the shadow mage attempted to bring his master, the dreaded Mikaboshi, into our reality. But, their victory came with a heavy price...

Kensei snapped back to reality as a deep, throaty growl came from the tree line on the other side of the wide forest trail. The Swordsman rose to his feet, his hand never leaving the pommel of the deadly Kusanagi, the mythical blade of Japanese legend. His keen eyes spotted the pair of yellow orbs staring directly back at him from the shadow of the tree line. The dark sillouette of the Sasquatch was massive; at least 8-feet tall. And the smell eminating from the creature was rank, almost like the rotting carcass of a dead animal.
By it's short, composed breaths, the Celestial Samurai knew that the beast was waiting to see what Kensei would do before making his move.

Smart.

Kensei inhaled deeply from his nostrils, exhaling slowly as he shifted his stance, his feet never leaving the muddy earth beneath him. The Demon's Bane crouched low, his steel gaze narrowing at the towering monster that stared back at him, anger in it's eerily human eyes.
Then, with an animalistic bellow, the Sasquatch charged from the treeline with an unbridled fury.

As the enraged beast came at him, Kensei calmly stood his ground, smiled, and, in a blinding flash, drew his blade...

Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #49
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

It's 2am and Brother Paul is in civilian guise and picking up a shipment from Vatican City at the docks.

Various Society associates are loading up a truck and working very quietly and with purpose so they can slip in and out with minimal detection.

Brother Paul looks over the manifest and says, "Everything seems to be in order. I think this equipment will suit us just fine."

The Shipping Captain says, "Yeah I don't know all the tecno stuff, but the guys at the home office seemed awfully eager to get it to you all."

Brother Paul looks up and says, "Oh this is more than just techno stuff. This equipment wil enable us to make some fascinating upgrades to our operations. Such as New security measures for new base , a new spectural scanner for The Serpent, and an upgraded linguistics program for Eve just incredible equipment."

The Captain looks at Brother Paul and just nods as he says, "Sure whatever you say I just deliver the stuff."

Brother Paul signs the manifest and The Captain walks away and boards the boat.

Brother Paul heads for the truck when he sees someone stumbling out of an alley.

The man is saying, "Help me please! My wife is badly hurt! Help her!"

Brother Paul walks towards the man and says, "Okay sir stay calm I'll call 911."

The man says, "Please come here you need to see her. Please!"

Brother Paul walks to the alley and says, "I don't see anyone."

The man pulls out a gun and says in a growl, "Move!"

Brother Paul backs down the alley and the man removes his hat and reveals himself to be Colter.

Brother Paul says, "Oh no."

Colter says, "That was too easy."

Behind Brother Paul backs into a large object. Actually it's a man, a man named Adam Phoenix.

Phoenix says, "Oh don't be too hard on the young man Colter. My protege was always the trusting sort and that was one of his strengths and a weakness as well."

Paul turns to see Phoenix and Paul says, "Oh Lord have mercy."

Phoenix says, "Sorry Mercy is not a character flaw that I readily have to deal with."

Phoenix picks Paul up by his throat and pitches him down the alley. Brother Paul slams into a wall and slides down.

Brother Paul quickly reaches in his coat pocket and presses two buttons on his cell-phone and drops it down a storm-drain.

I hope that works.

Phoenix grabs Paul again and slams in on the ground.

Phoenix says, "Your suffering boy is only beginning. I will give you a peice of advice for when I am done; go to the light."

Phoenix picks him up and punches him in the jaw.

The beating continues for a solid minute.

Phoenix turns to colter and says, "We're done here. I didn't find a phone him and he always has one meaning he somehow alerted The Society and they're on their way."

Phoenix and Colter get into a Special Limo and depart just as two unmarked vans arrive.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #50
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Deacon Hawk walks into the control room of the New Church to answer a special beep coming over the main computer.

He tries to shake off some of the sleep as he types in a few keystrokes.

The monitor glows brighter and Hawk studies the screen.

His eyes grow in horror as he reads the message:

Report to Central-1...Brother Paul...critical.

He says, "Oh no. Lord be merciful."

Deacon Hawk contacts Eve via her Neural Net who is out on patrol and says, "Eve I'm about to send you an address get there now! I'm en-route in two minutes. I know a passage under the city I will meet you there."

Eve asks, "What's going on Deacon?"

Hawk replies, "Just get there! Now!"

Hawk ends his transmission and sends her the address.

That's on the outskirts of the city near the old Army base. What's going on?

Eve throttles up and is there in a matter of minutes.

She stops at the gate and they suddenly open up.

Last time this happened I got mind-raped and taken apart, but Hawk called me on a special frequency on an encrypted line.

Eve continues forward and a hanger door opens. She drives The Serpent into the hanger to an area with a light hanging over it. Eve stops and gets off of her motorcycle as two men in robes approach her. Eve is somewhat defensive until she runs a scan and sees that these men are unarmed and pose no threat.

One of them says, "Follow us Deacon Hawk is waiting for you."

The escort her down a hallway and down several flights of stairs.

They reach Deacon Hawk who says, "Thank you my brothers resume your patrols."

They bow and leave as Eve says, "What's going on Deacon? And what is this place?"

Hawk motions for Eve to follow him.

She does and he replies, "It's called Central-1. This is where Brother Paul, myself and other society members in the area go for certain needs. What you 're about to see will shock you. I must ask you to fight your first instincts."

They arrive at a door and Hawk opens it. They enter and Eve sees several doctors and nurses huddled around a bed. Eve steps forward and sees the bloody and battered body of Brother Paul.

Her eyes are huge under her visor as she says, "No! NO! Paul!"

Deacon pulls her back and she asks, "What happened? How?"

Deacon says, "This is where fighting your first instinct will come into play."

She says, "Phoenix did this to him."

Deacon nods and says, "Yes he was picking up a shipment at the docks. The captain had just left. Before it was too late Paul activated a distress code on his phone. If The Society members who got him were another 30 seconds later and we'd burying him right now."

Eve asks, "How bad?"

Deacon replies, "They have to get him stable before they operate. They operate now he'll stroke out on the table in less than 10 minutes, but if they don't operate in two hours it won't matter."

Eve asks, "What are his chances?"

Deacon says, "70-30 he won't pull through as is, but if they can get him stable and operate 50-50. Phoenix set him up in cold blood and just...."

Deacon shakes his head and says, "I should've gone with him this time. We've been playing cat & mouse with Phoenix for about 2 weeks and I should've known sooner or later he would strike at us. I never thought though it would be at Paul."

Eve says, "It could've been either one of us Hawk. He struck at the heart and soul of our family. I tell you now Hawk after they operate on him. I want justice for that young man."

Hawk nods and says, "You'll get your chance soon Eve for now though I want you to stay here."

Eve replies, "Why? So I can hide out? And hope Phoenix doesn't show up for me or try to destroy me again. Hawk I'm fine Brother Paul has made sure my upgrades are ready for Phoenix this time."

Hawk shakes his head and says, "No that's not it at all. If Paul starts to crash I want to give you the chance to say goodbye in person."

Eve nods as the doctors approaches and says, "Excuse me Deacon. He's a stable as we can get him, but he's still going downhill. If we don't operate within the hour there's no way he'll survive, and he's still not 100% stable. He's only about 75%, but this is as good as we can get. It's your call sir."

Hawk stares at Brother Paul and says, "Do it. You have my permission."

The doctor nods and says to the nearby staff, "Get the O-R ready we operate in 30."

They start to wheel Brother Paul away and Eve says, "Wait we need to talk to him."

The doctor looks at Hawk and Hawk nods.

The doctor says, "Two minutes." Everyone clears out except for Hawk and Eve.

Hawk approaches the bed and says, "I'm praying for you. You're a good and faithful servant Brother Paul and I have no doubt you will pull thought my brother and friend."

Hawk says to eve, "I'll meet you outside I've gotta call the home office."

Hawk leaves as Eve approaches and removes her gloves. She touches the sides of Paul's face and says, "Don't you dare die. You don't have my permission. You're one of a kind Brother Paul and I don't think we can find another one like you. I don't want to have to go through the headache of breaking in another you."

Eve takes a deep breath and says, "After meeting you the first time I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I love you. You're the little brother I never had and never really wanted. Until now, fight the good fight we'll be here for you as you were for me."

Eve leaves the room as the doctors and nurses come in to get Brother Paul for his surgery.