The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default WB's 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' original script by J.K. Rowling

J.K. Rowling says ~
Quote:
“It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.

“Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world,” said Rowling. “The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.”
Warner Bros. Entertainment today announced an expanded creative partnership with world-renowned, best-selling author J.K. Rowling. At the center of the partnership is a new film series from Rowling’s world of witches and wizards, inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and the adventures of the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander. The announcement was made by Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” will be an original story and will mark Rowling’s screenwriting debut. It is planned as the first picture in a new film series. Set in the wizarding world, the story will feature magical creatures and characters, some of which will be familiar to devoted Harry Potter fans.

“We are incredibly honored that Jo has chosen to partner with Warner Bros. on this exciting new exploration of the world of wizardry which has been tremendously successful across all of our businesses,” said Tsujihara. “She is an extraordinary writer, who ignited a reading revolution around the world, which then became an unprecedented film phenomenon. We know that audiences will be as excited as we are to see what her brilliant and boundless imagination conjures up for us.”

In addition to the film series, “Fantastic Beasts” will also be developed across the Studio’s video game, consumer products and digital initiatives businesses, including enhanced links with Pottermore.com, Rowling’s digital online experience built around the Harry Potter stories.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/warn...d-film-series/

Last edited by slumcat; 09-12-2013 at 08:59 AM.
slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Default Re: WB's 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' original script by J.K. Rowling

Links?

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: WB's 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' original script by J.K. Rowling

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/warn...d-film-series/

Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

I read that this takes place 70 years before the first series and in New York

"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I don't quite get your confusion.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiebling$ View Post
I read that this takes place 70 years before the first series and in New York
None of the original cast of characters will return. Same world, completely new characters, completely new story.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

I don't remember any references to American wizards in the potter series that's all

Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

The fourth book mentions that Oliver Wood plays for the American quidditch team.

Also the other little sidebook Rowling wrote, Quidditch through the ages, there's a whole section on an American derivative called Quadpatch, a play on American Football.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Also she has always maintained in the books that there were wizards throughout the world in every single country. Her books had a kind of multi national multi ethnic cast.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

About the existence of America in the UP universe: There's a reference to the Salem Witches Institute in Goblet of Fire and, as noted, Rowling 's Quidditch through the Ages makes it very clear that there is an American Wizarding community in her universe.

About this project: Cynics might dismiss this as a 'money move', but to do so dismisses the truly unique relationship that she has and has always had with Warner Bros.

About Oliver Wood: AFAIK, Wood played for Puddlemere United, a U.K.-based Quidditch team, not an American team.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
The fourth book mentions that Oliver Wood plays for the American quidditch team.

Also the other little sidebook Rowling wrote, Quidditch through the ages, there's a whole section on an American derivative called Quadpatch, a play on American Football.
Really? It's been so long since I read goblet I don't recall any references to him playing for a American team

And I haven't read any side books but looks like I might have to thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Also she has always maintained in the books that there were wizards throughout the world in every single country. Her books had a kind of multi national multi ethnic cast.
Well yea i knew that I mean the quidditch cup is a prime example of its multi ethnic cast but I just never recalled 'America' the ever referenced
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
About the existence of America in the UP universe: There's a reference to the Salem Witches Institute in Goblet of Fire and, as noted, Rowling 's Quidditch through the Ages makes it very clear that there is an American Wizarding community in her universe.

About this project: Cynics might dismiss this as a 'money move', but to do so dismisses the truly unique relationship that she has and has always had with Warner Bros.

About Oliver Wood: AFAIK, Wood played for Puddlemere United, a U.K.-based Quidditch team, not an American team.
There we go while i don't remember reading anything about the Salem institution of because it's been so long since I've read GOF, looks like I really need to do a re read of the series, you've answered the questions I had while obviously there are wizards all over the world I just didn't remember any particular reference to Americans.

Looks like I have some reading to do thanks for all the info

And while I can see why cynics would immediately jumpon this iI'm not one of them

I LOVE the HP universe and would love to see more of it especially outside of Harrys life.

And this is perfect this is from the American wizard community something that hasn't really been touched on

Old 09-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Some are already dismissing the move by saying that it is all "quick cash grab".

But same people approve of Disney making more Star Wars movies and more Pirates of Caribbean movies.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Cool that she's going back to other portions of the universe. Though I'm surprised she hasn't chosen to do a prequel featuring the four Hogwarts founders or something.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
There we go while i don't remember reading anything about the Salem institution of because it's been so long since I've read GOF, looks like I really need to do a re read of the series, you've answered the questions I had while obviously there are wizards all over the world I just didn't remember any particular reference to Americans.
Page 82, Goblet of Fire:
Quote:
Three African wizards sat in serious conversation, all of them wearing long white robes and roasting what looked like a rabbit, while a group of middle-aged American witches sat gossiping happily beneath a spangled banner stretched between their tents that read: THE SALEM WITCHES INSTITUTE.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I can't wait for this, I always hoped that she would explore more of the world she created.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
Loki882
Side-Kick

Wasn't Viktor Krum Russian, and weren't most of the students from his school in GOF Russian or at least Eastern European? Wasn't Fleur the witch who competed in the TWT French? If they have Russian and French Wizards, and British of course, why wouldn't there be some America ones as well? I think that if you going to do this, then setting the movie in another time period with new characters and a new setting is the right way to go. Technically, we could still see McGonigall (sorry if I misspelled her name), Dumbledore, and a few classic characters appear, they're old enough.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
Lord
All Mighty

Like Star Wars Harry Potter has an unique and expansive universe, it's about time the studio realised they had a whole universe to explore, but i'm not too open on making this a film series, would prefer a solo film dealing with this, they could even make the 2nd one based on the Quidditch throughout the ages book. There are also many other periods they could explore, the 1930s-40s being the most interesting ones, since they deal with the first dark lord and his war against the human world, as well as Tom Riddle still as a student.

After this i wonder how much time it will take for the Twilight producers to start adapting The Short Life of Bree short spin-off book

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Wasn't Viktor Krum Russian, and weren't most of the students from his school in GOF Russian or at least Eastern European? Wasn't Fleur the witch who competed in the TWT French? If they have Russian and French Wizards, and British of course, why wouldn't there be some America ones as well? I think that if you going to do this, then setting the movie in another time period with new characters and a new setting is the right way to go. Technically, we could still see McGonigall (sorry if I misspelled her name), Dumbledore, and a few classic characters appear, they're old enough.
Krum was Bulgarian, but I think durmstrang was composed of several nationalities from the Balkan region.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
Victarion
Cut

I'd like a film series about an Auror.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Really? It's been so long since I read goblet I don't recall any references to him playing for a American team

And I haven't read any side books but looks like I might have to thanks
Relevant, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them in PDF

http://hogwartsbg.com/spas/J.K.%20Ro...ind%20Them.pdf

Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

A series about a young mad eye would be pretty cool.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
green

Very cool news! Im glad that it will focus on other aspects and not just Hogwarts and the same characters...endless possibilities.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
Airwings
Waves of air

Sounds really interesting. I'm excited!

Will there be any mention of the founders of Hogwarts, or will it be completely left out?
What about the school for witchcraft and wizardry "over there"? Do they have an "abandon ruin" too, or is it just a normal school?
Will some teenagers play a part in the story?

Last edited by Airwings; 09-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

The way she's been doing it over the years, it's getting similar to the LOTR and SW universes regarding size. Not quite there yet, but you can see it.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
I'd like a film series about an Auror.

There could be a phenomenal detective type story. With an Auror

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote