The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Default Grace Kelly movie announced

Quote:
Grace Kelly, who went from Hollywood royalty to genuine royalty, is heading to the big screen one more time.

Pierre-Ange Le Progam, the Europacorp co-founder who recently launched his Stone Angel production and financing company, has acquired Grace of Monaco, a spec script by Arash Amel that sets Kelly's personal story amid the politics of the time, in the vein of The King's Speech.

Le Pogam won the script in a competitive situation, and the project is already generating heated interest from filmmakers itching to tell Kelly¹s tale.

Kelly was born to a well-to-do family in Philadelphia—her father Jack Kelly was an Olympic gold medal rower and a successful businessman. She studied acting in New York, began her career working in live television in the early '50s, and made her film debut with a small part in 1951's Fourteen Hours. Her star ascended quickly when Gary Cooper chose her to play his leading lady in the 1952 Western High Noon. Her elegant blond coolness caught the eye of Alfred Hitchcock, and she starred in a succession of his films: 1954's Dial M for Murder and Rear Window and 1955's To Catch a Thief.

Kelly was nominated for an Oscar as best supporting actress for 1953's Mogambo, and won the Academy Award as best actress in 1954's The Country Girl, in which she played the long-suffering wife of an alcoholic actor portrayed by Bing Crosby.

During a visit to the Cannes Film Festival in 1955, she was introduced to Prince Rainer of Monaco, and during a visit to America, Rainer proposed to her. Their royal wedding the following year was an international sensation, with a big contingent of Hollywood stars in attendance. Although Kelly had completed one more movie, the musical High Society, the new princess retired from acting, even though she continued to receive offers and retained close ties to many of her Hollywood friends.

In her new role as Princess Grace, Kelly lived by strict rules laid down by Rainer. She gave birth to three children - Caroline, Albert and Stephanie * and in 1964 created The Princess Grace Foundation.

Her death in 1982 shocked the world: She suffered a stroke and lost control of her car while driving in the twisty streets of Monaco. Her daughter Stephanie, who was with her at the time, survived the crash. Nearly 100 million people watched her funeral on TV.

Amel's script, however, isn't a biopic and instead focuses on a six month period in 1962 when the city-state got into a heated dispute with France, which grew tired of the petite principality being a tax haven. Kelly, still relatively new in her role as princess, maneuvered behind the scenes to save Monaco from a coup. Insiders have compared the script to King's Speech in scope and tone.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ly-film-253081

Should be interesting to hear what her children will think when it comes out.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

Default Re: Grace Kelly movie announced

This might be interesting.I'll see this movie when it comes out.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
Brian2887
Nerd.

Elizabeth Banks for Grace Kelly.

Banks is such an underrated actress, and she could easily portray Kelly's charm and, ahem, grace.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

I agree with that.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
DACrowe
Side-Kick

There is no one in Hollywood, or probably the world, who can pass for Grace Kelly. That is a hurdle I doubt a biopic can cross in this case.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Ugh Im so sick of Biopics. January Jones?

Laderlappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
BestGirl
Agent, NOT secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laderlappen View Post
Ugh Im so sick of Biopics. January Jones?
Is she a better actress than what she showed in X-Men First Class?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Brian2887
Nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Is she a better actress than what she showed in X-Men First Class?
No. She's stunningly beautiful, but I've seen her be anything but cold.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Raiden
Chewie, we're home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2887 View Post
Elizabeth Banks for Grace Kelly.

Banks is such an underrated actress, and she could easily portray Kelly's charm and, ahem, grace.
Not a bad choice, but I'd nominate Kate Beckinsale (with a hair dye or blonde wig) to play Grace Kelly. I think Beckinsale has the complexion and the elegance to pull it off, provided that she matches the hair color of this Hollywood legend.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Beckinsale already failed at pulling off Ava Gardner, plus hair dye looks fake 9 times out of 10.

Laderlappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Beckinsale as a blonde? No, but I did like her Ava Gardner. But Grace Kelly is something different.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Feel sorry for the poor girl who portrays her, Grace Kelly's beauty is timeless.

jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
KRIM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
There is no one in Hollywood, or probably the world, who can pass for Grace Kelly. That is a hurdle I doubt a biopic can cross in this case.
That's a big stretch. Grace is the epitome of classical beauty, but it is not the type that is drop dead gorgeous. As such, there are plenty of cute/pretty faces out there that could feasibly pass for a resemblance.

Monroe is unarguably the harder sell, and they got Michelle Williams for that. Even if the likeness is off, reviews have still been stellar for her performance.

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
moviedoors
Side-Kick

It pretty much has to be Elizabeth Banks. She's a dead on perfect Hitchcock blonde.

moviedoors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Global Moderator

It's too bad January Jones can't act.

The problem is those that look the part aren't really strong actresses and those that are great actresses don't necessarily look like her (despite the blond hair which can be dyed easily). They probably will go for the My Week With Marilyn route where they got a really strong actress even if she doesn't resemble the character that much. In the end, with make-up and styling, Michelle looks a bit closer.

Charlize Theron perhaps? If this was done years ago, my vote goes to Naomi Watts.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
Project862006
Banned User

i like banks for it she is a very underrated actress

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Depending on how well she does in the Rum Diary I'd say Amber Heard. She has her look the most IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2887 View Post

Also Scarlett Johansson? Maybe...

THEPro cras tinator
Site: https://hampton6blog.wordpress.com/
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
Slushy
JB-007

A Gene Kelly movie would be better instead.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
Project862006
Banned User

Nicole Kidman in talks for Grace Kelly role
Quote:
Having beaten out some stiff competition, Nicole Kidman is in negotiations to play Grace Kelly in Olivier Dahan's "Grace of Monaco," which Pierre-Ange Le Pogam is producing with scribe Arash Amel. Le Pogam is fully financing the $15 million pic, which boasts a script that appeared on the 2011 Black List. Kidman's deal is not yet closed, but she is in advanced talks to play the "Rear Window" star who became the princess of Monaco.
Nearly every top actress in Hollywood chased the demanding yet coveted role.
Set between December 1961 and November 1962, story finds Kelly as a former Oscar winner and mother of two who had already spent six years as the monarch of a European nation. The retired starlet was called upon to save Monaco from an escalating situation regarding its standing as a tax haven, with French leader Charles de Gaulle giving her husband, Monaco's Prince Rainier III, six months to reform its tax laws.
Kidman, recently nominated for a third Oscar for her perf in "Rabbit Hole," previously won for her turn as another real-life figure, author Virginia Woolf in "The Hours." Aussie thesp next stars in Lee Daniels' "The Paperboy" and Chan-wook Park's "Stoker." She's also attached to star opposite Colin Firth in "The Railway Man."
Dahan previously directed Marion Cotillard to an Oscar win for in the Edith Piaf biopic "La Vie en rose," while EuropaCorp co-founder Pogam exec produced the French hit "Tell No One" and most recently produced "Colombiana."
Amel, who is writing Warner Bros.' "I Am Legend" sequel, previously wrote the Aaron Eckhart starrer "The Expatriate," which Radius-TWC will release later this year.
Kidman is repped by CAA, Media Talent Group and attorney Alan Wertheimer.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052351

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
BestGirl
Agent, NOT secretary

Kidman doesn't look so good anymore. They ought to look at Charlize Theron.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

I agree with above posters who pointed out how difficult/impossible it will be to pull off a convincing Grace Kelly. On my personal list of "all time great Hollywood beauties" she sits right at the top with Natalie Wood.

Kidman might just work as well as could be expected. She does have a fragility about her and I could see her being "regal". Kidman might be a bit older than Kelly was during this period though.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #22
terry78
Say your prayers, toitles

Nicole Kidman hasn't really been hitting **** out of the park lately. Not really A-list like she used to be. Banks did stellar work in Hunger Games, her range shocked me.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Sarah Michelle Gellar looks uncanily like GK and she has the acting ability to pull it off so I'd put her name in the hat aswell.

THEPro cras tinator
Site: https://hampton6blog.wordpress.com/
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
I agree with above posters who pointed out how difficult/impossible it will be to pull off a convincing Grace Kelly. On my personal list of "all time great Hollywood beauties" she sits right at the top with Natalie Wood.

Kidman might just work as well as could be expected. She does have a fragility about her and I could see her being "regal". Kidman might be a bit older than Kelly was during this period though.
The film takes place in 1962, so Princess Grace was 33. Kidman is 44.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
dark_b
Side-Kick

the problem is with Kidman's face. i dont think makeup and lighting can fix it.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote