The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #76
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Default Re: The Office Season 7 - - Part 2

I hate that not one character was angry over Andy being fired. Bleh. Part of me wishes that Andy does flip and come in to shoot up the place at this point.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #77
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

If I worked there, I would quit until they re-hired Andy. BS company, Dunder-Mifflin is...

I N T E R S T E L L A R
antsman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #78
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
I do enjoy the fights between Pam and Ryan. It's entertaining.
I like that Ryan has become Pam's nemesis as much as Dwight is Jim's nemesis.

The solution is clear: Ryan and Dwight have to become legally married, so they can pool their powers and match PB and J.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #79
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
I hate that not one character was angry over Andy being fired. Bleh. Part of me wishes that Andy does flip and come in to shoot up the place at this point.
That was me last week. Personally I find it to be very unrealistic that Andy is cool with everyone after everything that happened.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #80
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
While his appearance was a bit random (being as he lives in New York and everything), David Wallace's cameo gave some nice, long overdue closure to the character. This episode isn't bad with the exception of the shoehorned in Nellie subplot (learning what a taco is....how random).

None the less, it feels like a recycled Michael plot. Couldn't you just see Michael being at a fundraiser like this, seeing someone else (whom he despises) get attention so he does something ridiculously over the top (adopt ten dogs)?
We haven't seen the last of David Wallace. Two episodes left in this craptacular season!

"Turf War"

May 3, 2012
While drunk, Robert shuts down another branch of the company. Andy prepares to make his comeback. Jim and Dwight work together to defeat a rival salesman.

"Free Family Portrait Studio"

May 10, 2012
Dwight offers free family portraits, and a stolen diaper leads to a high-speed car chase. With the help of David Wallace, Andy goes undercover to try to get his job back. Robert faces a decision when presented with a new business opportunity.

Rick and Morty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #81
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
If I worked there, I would quit until they re-hired Andy. BS company, Dunder-Mifflin is...
Actually, that part of the show I find very realistic. Especially the economy the way it is, you'd be amazed that there is very little loyalty among people who are really just friends at work.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #82
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah. That is one of the parts I find least egregious. Andy's closest office relationship (with the exception of Erin) is probably Darryl, and last night's episode indicated that Darryl is in fact being icy to Nellie. But no one seems so close to him that they would quit their job in a ****** economy for him, not even Darryl. To expect any of them to do so is absurd.

Also, a couple people last week said that Andy should sue. Pennsylvania is an employment at will state, meaning that DM could fire Andy for looking at Robert California the wrong way and remain free of any legal liability. Keep in mind, California basically begged Andy to come in and reclaim his job from Nellie. Andy refused. He didn't even feel the need to announce his extended leave to his employer. That is plenty good reason to demote him (just as the open insubordination is a plenty good reason to fire him).

I think the bigger question is WHY does the cast suddenly get behind Nellie? Two weeks ago it was indicated that the crew of DM despised the woman, going so far as to put together a party with the sole intent of insulting her. Last week, Angela docked Andy's pay on her order instantly. Dwight informed on Andy to her. Hell, they even helped her oust Andy (some more directly than others). With the sole exception of Darryl they have gone from loving her to following her in an almost militaristic way with absolutely no explanation. It makes the story line all the more bizarre.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #83
LostSon88
Side-Kick

The b*tch simply sat in the chair and said, "I'm the manager now."

I mean for me it has nothing to do with office loyalty or the economy. It's that fundamental how wrong it is and no one had an inkling to care. That's why I find it so unrealistic. It's one thing to not want to get involved but c'mon this is just ridiculous.

May as well have had Cathetine shoot Andy in the face in front of everyone...they probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #84
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I was watching on a local Fox affiliate tonight....Oh how I miss Michael.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #85
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Nellie is a terrible character played by a terrible actress, probably the worst guest star the show's ever had.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #86
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Michael was simply a lovable idiot who didn't know any better and always meant well in the end.

Nellie is simply…an idiot.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #87
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Nellie is a terrible character played by a terrible actress, probably the worst guest star the show's ever had.
She's the worst guest star any show's ever had or ever will have.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #88
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Holy ****....they are literally recycling the Michael Scott Paper Co. story. Do they really think this little of the audience? This may be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. There is only one episode left this season but I won't be back next season.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #89
Havok83
Side-Kick

WTH is Gabe still here?

Im glad Im not the only one that dislikes Nellie. She's another character I cant believe is still around.

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #90
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Three thoughts on tonight's episode:

1) Recycling the Michael Scott Paper Co. is absolutely pathetic.

2) Jenna Fischer still hasn't lost her baby weight, but my goodness, it suits her. She looks great!

3) I gotta admit, I loved the ending. Robert California's speech was beyond awesome and I like the twist of David Wallace buying out D.M. alongside Andy....but hasn't it been stated that Jo still has a controlling interest? Why would she sell? Also, unlike D.M., Sabre isn't in the dumps. David Wallace's $20 million wouldn't be nearly enough.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #91
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Three thoughts on tonight's episode:

1) Recycling the Michael Scott Paper Co. is absolutely pathetic.

2) Jenna Fischer still hasn't lost her baby weight, but my goodness, it suits her. She looks great!

3) I gotta admit, I loved the ending. Robert California's speech was beyond awesome and I like the twist of David Wallace buying out D.M. alongside Andy....but hasn't it been stated that Jo still has a controlling interest? Why would she sell? Also, unlike D.M., Sabre isn't in the dumps. David Wallace's $20 million wouldn't be nearly enough.
Welcome to season eight.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #92
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

I don't like the overall storyline but I did like the ending with Andy proposing a buyout with Wallace. I like that they brought him back.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #93
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I always found Wallace to be a likable guy. If the writers were doing their job, I'd be very enthusiastic about this. Alas...

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #94
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
I don't like the overall storyline but I did like the ending with Andy proposing a buyout with Wallace. I like that they brought him back.
But Wallace wouldn't have anywhere close to the money needed to buy Sabre.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #95
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

And once again with the "Awwww see? Nellie isn't a horrible person!"

How do you explain the whole "Stealing Andy's job and weaseling out of getting fired" thing? A fluke?

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 05-04-2012 at 08:06 AM.
FilmNerdJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #96
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Exactly. Credit card debt and the inability to adopt a child doesn't make me feel bad for her. Credit card debt is her own damn doing and as for the child, the woman we have gotten to know has no business having a child.

You know, Andy/Michael Scott Paper Co subplot aside, I actually enjoyed last night's episode. Jim and Dwight are funny together (I really enjoyed Lloyd Gross) and Robert California was wonderfully creepy. From extorting Pam to laughing at Nellie's voicemail from her mother to owning Andy on the phone....he was all around awesome.

My question is this, what is he doing that is driving Sabre into the ground? Was Jo Bennett better? She released exploding, subpar products and was the one who approved of the Sabre store (Despite their products being ****). He drunkenly closed down a branch, but let's face it, if you have TWO other offices of people who are perfectly capable and willing (not only willing, fighting to) to absorb the branch's clients, then shouldn't it be closed down? Otherwise you're just paying 3 people for the job of 2, right?

Andy says that under the right management DM/Sabre could be profitable. Who's management is that? Jo Bennett? As mentioned, she approves terrible ideas and exploding products. David Wallace? Wasn't it his leadership that drove Dunder-Mifflin into bankruptcy in the first place? Andy? The guy leaves his job for a week with no explanation. Over the last year he suddenly inherited all of Michael's incompetence with none of Michael's redeeming qualities.

As for Robert California, I've been calling for awhile that they were going to reveal that he is a massive fraud, but I am not sure how I feel about them suddenly making him a straight villain. They are trying to suddenly turn him into some horrendous, sex-maniac who sucks at his job and is an all around terrible person.

The problem is, they are failing at it. It would be one thing if he hit on Pam, a character we actually care about. But his obsession with Nellie doesn't draw any resentment towards Robert because Nellie is thoroughly unsympathetic (despite the writers' best efforts). Hell, due to Pam deleting the voicemails, we don't even know if Robert really did anything inappropriate. Nellie is a notorious liar, after all. As for the rest of Robert's "evil," acts....he is kind of justified. He fired Andy for open insubordination. Andy refuses to go away. He is like the creepy guy who stalks his ex. Rather than looking for a new job, he is hanging out at the office, apparently cooking in their reception area, and trying to weasel his way back in. I'd be annoyed too if I were in charge. Then he tried to blackmail Robert. Robert's rage isn't villainous, it is justified!

Just another failure of the writers I suppose....

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #97
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Faster Times
“Turf War” just might be the most meta episode of The Office yet. The whole thing is about how incompetent Robert California is, something the characters in the show have only just realized for some reason. He has spent this whole season being creepy and making bizarre decisions that haven’t really led anywhere, much like the writers of the show itself. In this episode, it is revealed that he got drunk one night and closed down a branch of Dunder-Mifflin, resulting in their clients going elsewhere for their paper needs and it’s probably only a matter of time before he does the same thing to the Scranton branch. I couldn’t help but by reminded of all of the cast members of The Office joining other shows or going elsewhere next season. Was this episode intentionally written to be a commentary on the current mess The Office is stuck in? I have no idea but an episode like this isn’t going to help the situation.

http://www.thefastertimes.com/tvreca...e-23-turf-war/
Ouch. So true though. To think that this used to be the best written show on television....

Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #98
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
At this point, who cares about realism? If this were real, everyone in the office except Oscar would have been fired by now.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #99
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Quote:
Last week he mentioned the US Government bought his product (was it Suck It?) for $20 million. All he has to do is buy Dundler Mifflin from Sabre which I'm sure Jo would be happy to sell with all the problems DM has caused.

The writers didn't know what would happen for season nine except that Robert California would be gone so they planted the seeds with this episode. Jim would be perfect for a bike shop, he should go open that.

Rick and Morty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #100
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

The way I see it, Dunder Mifflin is likely worth about $30-million at this point. It was originally trading as a micro-cap company, which means it had to be worth between 50-300 million, and was most likely near the low end of that even at the beginning of the show, as it was already failing at that point.

After that disastrous AGM, the stock was pretty much untradeable at that point, and was likely delisted, meaning the total capitalization of the business likely fell to under 50 mill. Now, assuming that Sabre adopted a vulture capital strategy (they make crap products, but it's hard to imagine the investment bank they used would let them overpay for an acquisition) Jo probably bought Dunder Mifflin for even less than that.

Currently, it's heavily implied that DM is in worse shape than even before, meaning it is worth far less. And a company as desperate as Sabre seems to be would likely be eager to spin off and sell a distinct but troubled business line just to have some cash in its pockets.

Now, Wallace would be a fool to invest more than 5 mill of his own money in DM. However, a guy with 20 mill in the bank, who is willing to invest 5 mill of his own liquidity and has the help of an Ivy-league BSer like Andy on his side, could conceivably easily get a private equity group on board as partners, and that partner could easily provide the rest of the capital necessary.

Last edited by Pink Ranger; 05-04-2012 at 06:41 PM.