The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #101
Greens
Dude

Default Re: The Office Season 7 - - Part 2

I loved the Jim/Dwight stuff. Classic Office.

Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #102
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
The way I see it, Dunder Mifflin is likely worth about $30-million at this point. It was originally trading as a micro-cap company, which means it had to be worth between 50-300 million, and was most likely near the low end of that even at the beginning of the show, as it was already failing at that point.

After that disastrous AGM, the stock was pretty much untradeable at that point, and was likely delisted, meaning the total capitalization of the business likely fell to under 50 mill. Now, assuming that Sabre adopted a vulture capital strategy (they make crap products, but it's hard to imagine the investment bank they used would let them overpay for an acquisition) Jo probably bought Dunder Mifflin for even less than that.

Currently, it's heavily implied that DM is in worse shape than even before, meaning it is worth far less. And a company as desperate as Sabre seems to be would likely be eager to spin off and sell a distinct but troubled business line just to have some cash in its pockets.

Now, Wallace would be a fool to invest more than 5 mill of his own money in DM. However, a guy with 20 mill in the bank, who is willing to invest 5 mill of his own liquidity and has the help of an Ivy-league BSer like Andy on his side, could conceivably easily get a private equity group on board as partners, and that partner could easily provide the rest of the capital necessary.
But who would invest in a failing paper company? Plus, DM's value has always been in their sales staff. Jo bought it to get their sales staff who sell electronics alongside the paper (i.e. instead of buying a printer, buy a printer and paper). If it's not even surviving at Sabre, it seems like a faulty investment for Wallace or any other investor to make.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #103
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Sabre is a piss-poor run company, too.

Even though this is a blatant rip-off of the Michael Scott Paper Company plot, I actually like it more here. As much as I loved Michael, he was completely incompetent running his own company, especially with people as inexperience as Pam and Ryan (he had Jan's old job but wasn't prepared for it).

Andy is a dumbass, too, but he's smarter than Michael and has the Ivy League background. David Wallace wasn't a bad CFO, he was just stuck with a company in a struggling business and let go during the buy-out. If you think back to season 3, the company's future could have been a lot better if Scranton was closed instead of Stamford. It was definitely in a better location and there's really no debate over who was a better manager with Josh vs. Michael.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #104
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Sabre is a piss-poor run company, too.

Even though this is a blatant rip-off of the Michael Scott Paper Company plot, I actually like it more here. As much as I loved Michael, he was completely incompetent running his own company, especially with people as inexperience as Pam and Ryan (he had Jan's old job but wasn't prepared for it).

Andy is a dumbass, too, but he's smarter than Michael and has the Ivy League background. David Wallace wasn't a bad CFO, he was just stuck with a company in a struggling business and let go during the buy-out. If you think back to season 3, the company's future could have been a lot better if Scranton was closed instead of Stamford. It was definitely in a better location and there's really no debate over who was a better manager with Josh vs. Michael.
You're way off on many counts, IMO. First of all, there is plenty debate as to whether or not Josh was better than Michael. Scranton consistently outsold Stanford. A big part of that was Michael who continued to take an active role in sales despite being manager (and it was established many times that Michael was an elite salesman). Michael also supervised several of the company's top salesmen. Scranton was one of DM's top branches and in David Wallace's own words is the reason that the company was saved. Josh was picked because he was better at playing corporate politics and Michael had a very off-putting personality. But it was made very clear at several points throughout the show that there was method to his madness and he brought out the best in his employees. Stanford SEEMED more efficient but Scranton was more effective.

As for David Wallace not being a bad CFO, again, I disagree. From the little we've seen of Dunder-Mifflin, Wallace was a very hands-on CFO, handling more than just the company's financial aspects. It seems to me he was more of a combination of COO and CFO. It was also made very clear that many of his decisions were bad ones. His decision to let Michael leave the company was a bad one that cost DM a lot of money (something that he acknowledged). In the shareholders meeting episode it was made very clear that David Wallace's bad decision making and reckless spending was a huge part of the reason DM was in the dumps. He refused to adapt to the modern business environment. He made several bad investments. These have all been established. Wallace was a TERRIBLE CFO.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #105
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

He was also hiring Jan's replacement without letting Jan know she was fired. And then he hired Ryan to replace her which hurt the company. Of course this is when the show shifted in tone to more cartoony, less realistic documentary, so its hard to compare the dumb mistakes.

The writers were drawn into a corner and like working with the actor who plays Wallace. He's not going to leave the show like Bates and Spader causing the writers to scramble.

Rick and Morty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #106
Havok83
Side-Kick

Kelly is leaving the show

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/...-games-ned-fox

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #107
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Paul Lieberstein is leaving as showrunner to focus on the Dwight spin-off, he will still play Toby occasionally.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #108
Havok83
Side-Kick

There really is going to be a Dwight spinoff?

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #109
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Helms, Krasinski and Fischer Will Return

Ughh.... will they just let this ****ing thing die?!

Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #110
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I can't imagine an Office with Jim in it but no Dwight.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #111
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Helms, Krasinski and Fischer Will Return

Ughh.... will they just let this ****ing thing die?!
I wonder how much money they had to throw at them to get them back for another year. Something tells me that tonight will be my last episode.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #112
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Really? Instead of the teased Robert California/Andy show down we get to spend the season finale with Andy tricking people into thinking he is a janitor and then trying to convince everyone that David Wallace is real. This is probably my last episode.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #113
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Robert California's departure was fitting (I've been calling him as a conman for awhile) but the rest....what a mess. And they are keeping Nellie around....really? I am definitely done with this show. :faceplam:

Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #114
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

And they end with the worst subplot possible (that no one really cares about and that they have already dragged out for two years). Absolutely pathetic.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #115
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Way to **** that up, The Office.

Sole highlight? Creed's parents.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #116
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I really can't see them bouncing back from this past season. I can only see things getting worse.

Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #117
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I feel bad for Spader. He almost seemed embarrassed by to be there at this point, like he was saying "I have three ****ing Emmys. What the **** am I doing here?"

Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #118
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I really can't see them bouncing back from this past season. I can only see things getting worse.
I tend to agree. Especially with them keeping Tate around.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #119
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I feel bad for Spader. He almost seemed embarrassed by to be there at this point, like he was saying "I have three ****ing Emmys. What the **** am I doing here?"
The Emmys are in love with him. I'd guarantee they nominate him.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #120
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

They may. But that would mean snubbing one of the Modern Family actors and I can't see them doing that.

Spader was the one redeeming quality this season. While his gimmick did grow stale, he had enough creepy charm to keep it funny. But he wasn't Emmy worthy.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #121
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Was this the season finale? Didn't notice in any promos.

But yeah, terrible episode. The stuff with Andy was just stupid. Robert wanting to "educate" gymnasts was so stupid, surprised David Wallace didn't see it. Dwight is obviously the father but I couldn't care less at this point.

Best part was Mose.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #122
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Was this the season finale? Didn't notice in any promos.
Yes, it was.

Quote:
But yeah, terrible episode. The stuff with Andy was just stupid. Robert wanting to "educate" gymnasts was so stupid, surprised David Wallace didn't see it. Dwight is obviously the father but I couldn't care less at this point.

Best part was Mose.
The stuff with Andy STILL felt like Michael 2.0. It is the exact type of stunt Michael would pull. Could they at least try to act like they aren't using recycled Michael plots? I can see a list of discarded ideas from season 4, that the writers are just pulling this **** from. "Well, we never used Michael dresses up as a janitor! Let's do it!"

I can get the Robert stuff. He was essentially a con man and now he is conning David Wallace. It makes sense. Unfortunately it makes Wallace look completely incompetent.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #123
Drizzle
Bangarang, Robin

That very well may have been the last new episode of The Office I ever watch. I think I have to bail next season.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #124
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

That's it. I'm done with this show.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #125
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

And I am out.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote