The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #126
Gamma Ra
Your - Mr. Nice Guy

Default Re: Kevin Feige says no to another Hulk Movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
There will be another Hulk movie if I have anything to say about it..
I'm with you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
Honestly after Avengers I can't see Marvel not doing a Hulk movie with Ruffalo. He stole the show in Avengers and I can easily see a solo Hulk movie with The Leader trying to Gamma irate an entire city.(Much like an arc in Earth's mightiest heroes.)
Ruffalo did an exceptional job as Banner. I really did not understand all the fuss over whether he'd do a goo job or not as he's a versatile actor from what I've seen. I understand the Norton beef, but his talent should not have been in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
imho, hulk is a concept that simply doesn't work in the movies. people are paying to see hulk and every second hulk isn't on screen they get frustrated but you need to explore the dichomy of bruce banner and that takes time, so you see the problem.
I don't buy this for a second.

The television show worked and Hulk was on the screen 6 minutes at best the entire show. The key is making Banner as compelling and as interesting as Hulk and Hulk as interesting and compelling as Banner, yet the two conflicting but also agreeing at times....simple huh?

Quote:
the reason it works so well in the avengers is bruce is surrounded by interesting and colourful characters so the audience are engaged when hulk isn't on screen allowing banner to be fleshed out without the audience getting restless and then when hulk is finally released there is a big pay off.
Even if that's the case, in a solo movie alll they would have to do is make all the characters interesting then, which should be the goal of any movie.

Quote:
hulk failing at the box office is a plain as the nose on your face. much more suited to TV (where bruce is fleshed out over a series of episodes) or an ensemble piece where there are other characters to engage the audience when hulk isn't on screen.
Both films made their money back and then some, they were just not the box office smash they should have been. Hulk can work in any media. The problem is that the first film was too morbid for most and the second really had no push behind it at all. As a long time over 30 year Hulk fan, the problem has been that Hulk and Banner have been hollow shells of what they should be in the previous films. The Avengers nailed Banner and Hulk was the best live action Hulk so far, though more should be done with him personality wise.

Quote:
the principle is exactly the same for hannible lecter, the character is offset by clarice and will (red dragon and silence) but put him in his own movie where he is the focus of attention and the whole thing falls down like a house of cards
I can't disagree more. If that's the case, Banner should be Hulk's Clarice and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstreets View Post
People just want to see the Hulk smash stuff. This is why the Hulk worked so well in the Avengers, He's best as a supporting character and it was great that he stopped trying to cure himself like in the other 2 films.

The TV show Hulk...let's stop BS ourselfs...it sucked. it was the same episode every time which went like this....

Banner goes into town
Banner finds trouble
Banner gets knocked down
Banner turns into the Hulk
Hulk flexes same pose at least twice
Hulk throws bad man
Hulk runs off
Banner leaves town

Rinse and repeat
This is the problem with the understanding of the appeal of Hulk that both films have had; Ang's Hulk less so. Hulk isn't the Deux Ex Machina that the last film made him or the character you've described. Hulk is a character with a wide range of emotions like any other, but his testosterone level is just a millions of time greater.

And sorry...the show did not suck IMO. It worked in its time and I still enjoy watching it from time to time.

Last edited by Gamma Ra; 05-15-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Gamma Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #127
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsGom View Post
I know I've said this before, but just because the Hulk may be perceived as a hero now does not mean that the public, the government or even The Avengers don't remain wary of Banner's control of the beast. It would only take one rage change to make Banner and the Hulk public enemy #1.

The Hulks level of power inspires awe and fear. Even when employing that power for the greater good, one can't help but think, "What if he lost control again?"

The government will still want the Hulk's power for themselves or at least a contingency plan for neutralizing him. Hell, it's the government, they probably have contingencies for neutralizing all the Avengers! Ross is obsessed with capturing the Hulk and humiliating Banner. Is it really so hard to envision him taking up the chase again or maybe even provoking an uncontrolled change in Banner?
The problem with this is that it basically undoes all the character development that happened prior to it. This is a *bad thing*, dramatically. Or, yes, General Ross was an obsessive beyond belief who dogged the Hulk for decades. . . *in the comics.* Just because he is obsessive beyond belief in the comics, doesn't mean he should be obsessive beyond belief in the films, too.

Which doesn't mean there won't be people making Hulk contingencies. . . hell, SHIELD had them! However, to have the next Hulk movie be "Hulk hunted by the government", *again*, after two such movies that had exactly that main plot, would be just begging for all the good will gained by the Avengers movie re: the Hulk franchise to be flushed down a toilet.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #128
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The problem with this is that it basically undoes all the character development that happened prior to it. This is a *bad thing*, dramatically. Or, yes, General Ross was an obsessive beyond belief who dogged the Hulk for decades. . . *in the comics.* Just because he is obsessive beyond belief in the comics, doesn't mean he should be obsessive beyond belief in the films, too.

Which doesn't mean there won't be people making Hulk contingencies. . . hell, SHIELD had them! However, to have the next Hulk movie be "Hulk hunted by the government", *again*, after two such movies that had exactly that main plot, would be just begging for all the good will gained by the Avengers movie re: the Hulk franchise to be flushed down a toilet.
I don't see how allowing the Hulk to be the Hulk as erasing character development. The Hulk the embodiment of rage and power, I just don't see him settling down and being accepted by the public for any significant length of time. They want to control him and we all know the Hulk doesn't like to be controlled.
But it's possible I am jaded by my love of the books. It's possible he can written more of a traditional hero. However, I don't think the Hulk works as a traditional hero, especially in his own movie. If you deny his savage nature you are neutering the foundation of the character and it makes him rather boring.
I personally want to see Hulk go toe to toe with Hulkbusters AND The Avengers and smash smash smash!

Whatever they decide I'll pay my money to see it

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #129
Gamma Ra
Your - Mr. Nice Guy

Sometimes I wonder how many movies some of you have seen?

The concept of the Avengers was always about having a group of diverse heroes; with real everyday problems; that don't always see eye to eye.

There have been a plethora of War, Cowboy and Indian and even in Star Wars there are characters fighting on the same team/side, but operate differently and are not entirely in agreement.

Hulk just has to be fleshed out as a personality; in order to allow the audience to at least, understand his views and stance.

Last edited by Gamma Ra; 05-17-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Gamma Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #130
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From LR:
SUPERBOWL EXCLUSIVE! So How Does ‘The Hulk’ Fit Into Marvel’s ‘Phase 2’ & ‘Phase 3’ Plans?

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #131
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Natural progression of the character and fits what he said in the interview about PH and WWH.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #132
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ra View Post

Both films made their money back and then some, they were just not the box office smash they should have been.
The Incredible Hulk cost $150 M to make, and roughly an additional $35-50 M to market, for a total budget just shy of $200 M. The movie wound up grossing $263 M, of which the studio only sees about half, which means the studio netted $131-132 M.

This means TIH lost several million dollars for marvel. Roughly $70 M. The DVD sold grossed just shy of $60 M, which is for the most part, pure profit. No idea what the Blu-Ray Sales were, but at best the movie barely passed into the profitable range. This wasn't a movie that made money hand over fist. This is a movie that barely justified it's existence.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #133
Robin91939
Master Tim

I will just say this....

I don't believe this guy.

In 2009, I worked for Marvel in the Editorial department in New York City.

Yes, some people from the Film Studio come into the office... But it's mostly to meet important editors (like Wacker, Brevoort, Rosemann, or Axel at the time), glad-hand, take a tour or pick up research. I met Justin Theroux and Scarlett Johansson during the time leading up to Iron Man 2. However, there are very little if any production materials for the films in those offices. That's just a fact.

So knowing that... I find it very hard to believe that this cat found a detailed outline of Avengers 2, Incredible Hulk 2 and Avengers 3... Like he's claiming to know what act of the films certain things happen... This is the COMIC BOOK production office... Not the film studio in Manhattan Beach, CA. This is highly suspect. The New York Office has a Legal, Marketing, Editorial, Publishing, Merchandise and Sales department... All solely related to the COMICS, not the FILMS.

There are some moquettes and movie theater standees and things like that around the office, but at the time I worked there, these were only of films ALREADY released (Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk) and not of films in production.

PLUS, when you sign to work for Marvel, you sign a non-disclosure agreement. And they were very good with security in the building. (NOTE: When I worked there it was located in the old office on 5th Avenue). But I'd imagine the security is the same. This guy, couldn't just walk in and snoop around. You need to be buzzed in, get a guest pass and you have a chaperone with you when you tour the office. If there is something they don't want you to see (ie. their plans for Phase 2 &3) you are not going to see it.

If he said that he knew what was happening in the comics 6-7-8 months from now... I'd believe him. That **** is pinned up all over the walls... But MOVIE news? At the Marvel Offices in New York City.... No. Just not true.

-R

Last edited by Robin91939; 02-04-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Robin91939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #134
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
The Incredible Hulk cost $150 M to make, and roughly an additional $35-50 M to market, for a total budget just shy of $200 M. The movie wound up grossing $263 M, of which the studio only sees about half, which means the studio netted $131-132 M.

This means TIH lost several million dollars for marvel. Roughly $70 M. The DVD sold grossed just shy of $60 M, which is for the most part, pure profit. No idea what the Blu-Ray Sales were, but at best the movie barely passed into the profitable range. This wasn't a movie that made money hand over fist. This is a movie that barely justified it's existence.
True, but they messed up by barely changing the formula from the first Hulk film. I have much more confidence that a Planet Hulk film will do well at the BO.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #135
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
True, but they messed up by barely changing the formula from the first Hulk film. I have much more confidence that a Planet Hulk film will do well at the BO.
I have no doubt the Hulk can be profitable. I'm just saying TIH wasn't.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #136
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I think it's risky. I personally would want to see allot more Marvel films before another Hulk film.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #137
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Hulk is less risky than introducing a new character. Hulk is one of their most recognizable and popular characters and can be made profitable, it's just they've been going about making his films the wrong way.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #138
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Hulk is less risky than introducing a new character. Hulk is one of their most recognizable and popular characters and can be made profitable, it's just they've been going about making his films the wrong way.
The biggest problem with doing a Planet Hulk movie is budget. We're not dealing with 10-12 minutes total of Hulk. We'd be dealing with a whole film's worth of Hulk CGI shots. That'd be incredibly expensive.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #139
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
The biggest problem with doing a Planet Hulk movie is budget. We're not dealing with 10-12 minutes total of Hulk. We'd be dealing with a whole film's worth of Hulk CGI shots. That'd be incredibly expensive.
By then, Marvel/Disney will be able to afford it.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #140
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
You're right, rather than Banner being on screen 80% of the time it would be the other way around, but I think that's what Marvel wants. If they were to give the film a 180-200 budget they would be able to pull it off.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #141
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Latino Review didn't get this scoop:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/09/21...e-kevin-feige/

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #142
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Bro, cut it out. We all know about that interview, it was mentioned in the video itself. It was probably posted in this thread. What this does is give more credence to a Hulk movie actually happening and starting a serious dialog about it. I've been talking about a Hulk movie for months but you don't see me posting about it. :/

Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #143
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:

If Avatar was made 2-3 years ago on a $237 million budget I'm sure 3-4 years from now Disney can make Planet Hulk on $250 million budget

blalex620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #144
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Latino Review didn't get this scoop:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/09/21...e-kevin-feige/
Well, if LR's story turns out to be true (I'm not saying it is, but IF), there's a huge difference between asking in an interview if there's a chance we'll ever get to see these storylines like MTV did, and reporting that yes, this is exactly what's going to happen in Phase 3 like LR just did.

So if this does indeed come true (which let's face it, we won't know for a few years), I would certainly credit LR with the actual scoop. MTV didn't seem to have any inside info about it.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #145
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Feige basically said we could see another Hulk movie after the Avengers sequel.

- CM Punk
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #146
Mr. Dent
Banned User

This all matches up well with a tweet Ruffalo sent out about having a talk with Joss about some "interesting" developments for Hulk.

https://twitter.com/Mruff221/status/278366280308912128

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Feige basically said we could see another Hulk movie after the Avengers sequel.
Yes but a lot of people didn't believe it was going to happen as evidenced by how confused, shocked, and perturbed some people on this forum are.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #147
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Joss also said he plans to basically bring the Avengers to a new low by the end of A2 so Hulk rampaging and destroying everything forcing IM to ship him off would definitely fit with his statements

blalex620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #148
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yep. I can also see Black Widow betraying the team and Iron Man being incapacitated throughout the film happening as well.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #149
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
This all matches up well with a tweet Ruffalo sent out about having a talk with Joss about some "interesting" developments for Hulk.

https://twitter.com/Mruff221/status/278366280308912128

Yes but a lot of people didn't believe it was going to happen as evidenced by how confused, shocked, and perturbed some people on this forum are.
Still don't approve of the way El Mayimbe trolled this site.

- CM Punk
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #150
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I feel you on that and I agree but posting an interview isn't helping to prove your point.