The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #176
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Default Re: Kevin Feige says no to another Hulk Movie.

Planet Hulk would be awesome. Looking for a an epic Hulk movie for years. Plus it is something that hasn't really been adapted yet. I don't want another Hulk vs the military movie again because we have gotten that twice in the past and have had average results. Hopefully after Avengers 2 we get that. If Avengers 2 ends up with the bad guys winning, it could setup for Hulks return in Avengers 3. Thanos will probably be featured, but I don't think he should be featured this early. Maybe have some pawns serve him in Avengers 2, like the Masters of Evil or Ultron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Despite being Marvel's new golden boys, The Avengers still have probably the least revered rogues gallery of any of the big Marvel franchises. I wouldn't be shocked if we went 0-3 in an Avengers trilogy in terms of not seeing actual Avengers villains (Kang, Ultron, Masters of Evil, Korvac.)
Probably in the next trilogy. Each of those villains bring their own story. Marvel is building the MCU on continuity. It would hard incorporating all these guys into one framework.

Unlike the X-Men saga, future adaptations shouldn't get wrapped up in contuinuity and tying everything together. You should make a series of movies loosely based on one another, if at all. More along the lines of previous Bond incarnations and not direct sequels, unless of course you have a massive hit at the box office and want to continue with that particular cast/story. Even so, you should not subject yourself to rigid continuity and linear story telling.

Last edited by Mr.M; 02-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #177
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Ehhh When counting "villains" I go by ratio of appearances etc. And which rogues gallery the character most belongs to. In Loki's case, it's Thor. In Thanos' Case, he's a catch all cosmic villain (Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock, Guardians of the Galaxy etc.)

The Avengers have fought Magneto and Doctor Doom as many times as they've fought Loki, and more times than they've fought Thanos. Those villains are clearly X-Men and Fantastic 4 villains, respectively. The fact is Avengers has a set of rogues that belongs just as much to them, as Doom belongs to F4. They are just under-exposed, and aren't likely to get used.
Well, Korvac was originally a GOTG villain. The Avengers have only fought him twice?
And Loki was responsible for the Avengers getting together in the 1st place, so I'd always count him in.

That being said Ultron & Kang are more exclusively Avengers villains. The Master of Evil also count, though they are an assembly themselves of rogues from other heroes (Zemo, Enchantress, Executioner, Melter, Radioactive Man, Klaw etc).

Most others, including Thanos, the Kree/Skrulls, AIM &Modok, Hydra etc, either started out as villains for someone else or are linked more to a specific character within the team, rather than the team as whole (Hydra & AIM with Captain America for example, Loki with Thor, Skrulls with the FF, Korvac with the GOTG and so on).

Of the exclusive one's, with Ant-Man coming in Phase II, then Ultron should not be far behind.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #178
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Planet Hulk would be awesome. Looking for a an epic Hulk movie for years. Plus it is something that hasn't really been adapted yet. I don't want another Hulk vs the military movie again because we have gotten that twice in the past and have had average results. Hopefully after Avengers 2 we get that. If Avengers 2 ends up with the bad guys winning, it could setup for Hulks return in Avengers 3. Thanos will probably be featured, but I think he shouldn't be featured this early. Maybe have some pawns serve him in Avengers 2, like the Masters of Evil or Ultron.

Because that's the only other Hulk story other than Planet Hulk or WW Hulk.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #179
darthhalen
Side-Kick

Wow. Really hope this is not the way they go with Hulk. Was never a big fan of Planet Hulk or WWH. I love John Carter and that storyline was an obvious ripoff of ERB's story. Cant possibly see why they would make a Planet Hulk movie after John Carter's movie failure. With WWH they turn him into the villian? Can't see that happening in the Marvel Movieverse. I believe these are real conversations that are going on with Marvel, but I can't see them pulling the trigger on this storyline.

darthhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #180
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Because that's the only other Hulk story other than Planet Hulk or WW Hulk.
Too lazy to wiki all of the Hulk's background... sorry.

You could continue with solo villains I guess, but Hulk doesn't have a great rogue gallery. And the solo movies have performed poorly up till this point. Regardless, Hulk movies need to be epic while tackling new ground, and the 2008 movie was a rehash.

I just want a solid Hulk movie that sort of closes the arc for the character in this universe.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #181
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthhalen View Post
Wow. Really hope this is not the way they go with Hulk. Was never a big fan of Planet Hulk or WWH. I love John Carter and that storyline was an obvious ripoff of ERB's story. Cant possibly see why they would make a Planet Hulk movie after John Carter's movie failure. With WWH they turn him into the villian? Can't see that happening in the Marvel Movieverse. I believe these are real conversations that are going on with Marvel, but I can't see them pulling the trigger on this storyline.
I think a WWH story would be the final nail in the coffin for any form of movie Hulk. The whole turning him into a villain would be silver screen suicide, and they'll just ending concluding that Hulk doesn't work as a big screen movie when it's simply that they've picked the wrong material.

The fact that Hulk was popular with the public in Avengers doesn't give them carte blanche to do whatever they like now and still hope that people will buy into it. Even Planet Hulk would be a hard sell for movie audiences.

If Marvel really want another Hulk movie, they'll probably have to play it safe and make it a Hulk that is very similar to Avengers Hulk where he's clearly a hero. That means no sticking him in an alien gladiator world and no turning him into a villain.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #182
darthhalen
Side-Kick

Dark Raven-I agree completely. They still need to be careful with the Hulk. They need to build onto what they started in The Avengers, not go in an entirely different direction! Sounds really risky to me. Hopefully like someone said this could be just a small part of the Avengers 3 storyline instead of the whole focus. NO to Hulk as a villian! No way they go this route.

darthhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #183
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack668 View Post
This sucks. I was looking forward to seeing the Leader.
Me too.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #184
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthhalen View Post
Dark Raven-I agree completely. They still need to be careful with the Hulk. They need to build onto what they started in The Avengers, not go in an entirely different direction! Sounds really risky to me. Hopefully like someone said this could be just a small part of the Avengers 3 storyline instead of the whole focus. NO to Hulk as a villian! No way they go this route.
Perhaps it could be about Ultron or something and Hulk and crew arrive to get revenge but the team up to take the threat down. Maybe even a Betty cameo.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #185
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Me too.
Yeah, seeing the Leader would be awesome. I guess this means we'll probably never see him.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #186
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think a WWH story would be the final nail in the coffin for any form of movie Hulk. The whole turning him into a villain would be silver screen suicide, and they'll just ending concluding that Hulk doesn't work as a big screen movie when it's simply that they've picked the wrong material.

The fact that Hulk was popular with the public in Avengers doesn't give them carte blanche to do whatever they like now and still hope that people will buy into it. Even Planet Hulk would be a hard sell for movie audiences.

If Marvel really want another Hulk movie, they'll probably have to play it safe and make it a Hulk that is very similar to Avengers Hulk where he's clearly a hero. That means no sticking him in an alien gladiator world and no turning him into a villain.
Whedon's depiction of the Hulk as the Avengers team "Wild Card" (to use an It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference) worked wonderfully, and I can't fathom a reason why they would remove him from the team dynamic that worked so well with the character. Unless Disney/Marvel is planning on CGIing over Taylor Kitsch with the Hulk and re-releasing last summer's box office bomb, why they would go back to that well? Defenders film? I'll line up early. Planet/World War Hulk? I'll pass.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #187
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
"We could see another Hulk movie after Avengers" =/= "Avengers 2 will end with Hulk being jettisoned into space, which will lead into a Planet Hulk movie, and then Avengers 3 will be inspired by World War Hulk."

The latter is a scoop, the former is a diplomatic answer to a leading question - basically the equivalent of, "we'll see."
Latino Review's report is essentially WE'LL SEE as well unless you truly believe El Miyambe and everything he says and think its all 100% true.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #188
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

I'm not buying this for several reasons (though I do admit it could certainly be Marvel's plan)...

1. Why let Hulk weigh so heavily in Phase 3 and Avengers 3 when they were apprehensive about Hulk even holding another solo film before Avengers 2 came out? Obviously, people loved Hulk in Avengers...but he was in it for all of 10 minutes total. Seems strange that Marvel would hinge two future films on him so suddenly...

2. Films based on Planet Hulk and World War Hulk would have to feature the big green guy almost exclusively throughout the extent of the movies, leaving little to no room for Banner. After Ruffalo's almost universally acclaimed performance in Avengers (and his multi-picture deal), why would Marvel pick two story lines for films that would give little to no screen time for Banner?

3. They've just established Hulk as a hero in The Avengers. Why would they waste this opportunity so quickly by casting him in a heroic light in Avengers 2, then immediately throwing him into framed/revenge mode and having him be everyone's enemy in Avengers 3...especially when there's so many other villains that could be used in Avengers 3.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #189
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

it's far too soon for PH, hulk needs at least 1 movie on earth before that...

maybe kill off betty at the hands of leader and a goon, dive into his psyke with Doc Samson, and then have him go nuts after betty's death.

that's when you can ship him off to space

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #190
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
I'm not buying this for several reasons (though I do admit it could certainly be Marvel's plan)...

1. Why let Hulk weigh so heavily in Phase 3 and Avengers 3 when they were apprehensive about Hulk even holding another solo film before Avengers 2 came out? Obviously, people loved Hulk in Avengers...but he was in it for all of 10 minutes total. Seems strange that Marvel would hinge two future films on him so suddenly...
Because it's the Hulk. You don't just give up on a character like that, expecially when you have an aging Iron Man and lukewarm performances from the other Big 2 debut films.

Quote:
2. Films based on Planet Hulk and World War Hulk would have to feature the big green guy almost exclusively throughout the extent of the movies, leaving little to no room for Banner. After Ruffalo's almost universally acclaimed performance in Avengers (and his multi-picture deal), why would Marvel pick two story lines for films that would give little to no screen time for Banner?
An intelligent Hulk with dialogue as opposed to Hulk Smash? Sounds dandy to me. Plus Ruffalo not being featured means you may not have to break the bank to sign him for multiple featured films if he is just doing the facial motion cap. Hell, bring in Serkis and give Ruffalo a break if he wants to take other roles in the meantime. Not that I feel his commitment will even be an issue. But Hulk is the draw, not Banner.

Quote:
3. They've just established Hulk as a hero in The Avengers. Why would they waste this opportunity so quickly by casting him in a heroic light in Avengers 2, then immediately throwing him into framed/revenge mode and having him be everyone's enemy in Avengers 3...especially when there's so many other villains that could be used in Avengers 3.
Because you need some dissension to keep things interesting. We had that in Avengers, but it can't be all fun and games going forward. Hulk provides a credible threat and has a legitimate motive should they adapt this. At the expense of showcasing another featured villain? I don't know. But Kang and MoE aren't really going to draw the masses in. I am skeptical about even Thanos since most don't know who he is, hence the buildup so early.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #191
Aztec
Side-Kick

Well I'm inclined to trust LR because they do have a very good track record. Although that doesn't forgive ElMayimbe's pompous trolling and self promoting here a few days ago.

As to the news itself Im very torn. Hulk is a hero. He needs to be a hero and they just spent two films (3 if you count Ang's attempt) developing him from monster to hero. Why go back on that now?

I don't like the stories of PH and WWH much but I do acknowledge they would provide a huge amount of big budget action spectacle that could work really well on screen.

In order to make this work they need to preserve Hulk and the other heroes heroism. How do you do this? Have a supervillian deceive the heroes into thinking Hulk is the enemy. Likewise have Hulk be deceived by the same villain. Then during WWH have hem unite against the true enemy? Thanos and Infinity Gauntlet maybe? Perhaps this whole ruse was a way to get the gems and divide his enemies? Thus setting up a MASSIVE phase 4? Now that has me excited!

Until I hear something as epic as that, Im on the fence and concerned about the heroism of all involved. Unfortunate too many of Marvel's recent storyline a have pitted hero against hero and destroyed heroic depictions of beloved characters.

VS. Thanos
MARVEL'S THE INFINITY GAUNTLET
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #192
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post

Because you need some dissension to keep things interesting. We had that in Avengers, but it can't be all fun and games going forward. Hulk provides a credible threat and has a legitimate motive should they adapt this. At the expense of showcasing another featured villain? I don't know. But Kang and MoE aren't really going to draw the masses in. I am skeptical about even Thanos since most don't know who he is, hence the buildup so early.
People tend to overthink the villain thing. The reason people came to see the Avengers, and will continue to do so, is to see the heroes, not the villains. Nobody went to see the Avengers to see the Chitauri, or even Loki; they went to see their heroes. Same is largely true of the solo films....nobody gave a crap that Ironmonger and Whiplash + Hammer were ****ty villains; they *still* went to see Iron Man do his thing.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #193
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Wow, seeing a Planet Hulk movie come to fruition would just be amazing, the only problem is, we would probably have to see a lot of changes to the story as the Hulk couldnt be on the screen 100% of the time, they would have to give Ruffalo face time, and the budget would be too much.

Either way though, it would be amazing to see that and then WWH. Only thing is, how would they stop Hulk at the end of WWH, The Sentry was the only one who could fight him to stand still in the comics, who in the MCU would be able to do that?
Yes, thor. But if the WWH thing is true. there is no way that is the plot for the movie. it will probably be ultron, and hulk comes back or sometihng. and maybe we will still see sterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Latino Review's report is essentially WE'LL SEE as well unless you truly believe El Miyambe and everything he says and think its all 100% true.
again, I think it is worth noting that he is the one who wrote the black panther scoop. and we know that turned out to be false

Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #194
Cyclonus
Side-Kick

Quote:

Totally agree with you on this, I would not like to see Marvel make a move like this with the Hulk. Its too risky, Marvel would be tearing down what they've built up with the Hulk as a hero. Mark has already signed on for atleast 5 films, in WWH and Planet Hulk he wouldn't get much screen time. Business wise and story wise it just wouldn't be a good move by Marvel, if people want to see the WWH storyline, Marvel needs to put out the sequel to the Planet Hulk animated feature.

Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #195
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Hulk's previous failures on the big screen and then not having a film for a while is akin to someone being fired from his jobs because of a bad temper, and then being unemployed for a few years. Now that this person has finally gotten a part-time job, that doesn't mean he can suddenly revert to type and act anyway he likes and take things easy. He's still on a probationary period, so that means not getting overly comfortable or thinking that jobs are so easy to come by and that he'll get too ambitious with other future work before he's even fully accepted.

And that's what I see it's like with Hulk and his PH and WWH-related movies. Just because he's been accepted by the public once in Avengers, doesn't mean that Marvel can now go all out and have him revert to type (ie the raging monster, or so it will be perceived by the public). He'll end up unemployed again, so to speak, for another few years if they do that.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #196
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post

You're taking the news the wrong way. Avengers 3 is not going to revolve around Hulk, his WWH storyline will be just one element of the film rolled into something bigger, as Marvel Studios has always done with these films. And like you said, Feige said we wouldn't be seeing another Hulk movie until after Avengers 2...phase 3 is obviously after A2. He never said Marvel was apprehensive about giving Hulk a movie in phase 3, if anything he said the exact opposite. Marvel just couldn't work his movie into phase 2 because plans for it were already laid out years in advance.

Quote:
A movie with 70% Hulk, 30% Banner is just what the doctor ordered. The reason the first two movie did so poorly is in part because Banner was in them for 80% of the film, when people came to see the Hulk. Banner can work well in spurts but it's already been proven he can't carry an entire film. The Hulk probably could.

Quote:
Because it's a natural progression of the character and it works. He would still be the hero, just a tragic hero betrayed by his allies. If anything the audience will be more on Hulk's side than even in The Avengers after seeing him get the shaft. And him being in revenge mode won't be a problem in Planet Hulk because he'll be preoccupied with things that will show many different sides to the character that we weren't able to see in the first two Hulk movies and only saw glimpses of in The Avengers. As for Avengers 3, as I said, Hulk probably will not be the main villain in the movie and will only be an element of the story. He'll probably team back up with the Avengers and help them defeat the true villain.

Quote:
Hulk's previous failures on the big screen and then not having a film for a while is akin to someone being fired from his jobs because of a bad temper, and then being unemployed for a few years. Now that this person has finally gotten a part-time job, that doesn't mean he can suddenly revert to type and act anyway he likes and take things easy. He's still on a probationary period, so that means not getting overly comfortable or thinking that jobs are so easy to come by and that he'll get too ambitious with other future work before he's even fully accepted.

And that's what I see it's like with Hulk and his PH and WWH-related movies. Just because he's been accepted by the public once in Avengers, doesn't mean that Marvel can now go all out and have him revert to type (ie the raging monster, or so it will be perceived by the public). He'll end up unemployed again, so to speak, for another few years if they do that.
This is a horrible and uninformed analogy. Please stop.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #197
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post

This is a horrible and uninformed analogy. Please stop.
No.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #198
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Yes, thor. But if the WWH thing is true. there is no way that is the plot for the movie. it will probably be ultron, and hulk comes back or sometihng. and maybe we will still see sterns

again, I think it is worth noting that he is the one who wrote the black panther scoop. and we know that turned out to be false
All the more reason to believe he's full of it.

We were talking about more Hulk stuff some months back. This wasn't that big of a scoop.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #199
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I totally called this btw. That is all.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #200
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
No.
So rather than legitimately argue your point you reply with one word? You're exposing yourself.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote