The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #26
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Default Re: HAWKEYE : Fraction & Aja ongoing

too artsy

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

What the **** is wrong with you?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Do you find Draction's writing to be too writey?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #29
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

It's clearly a non traditional art syle.....and i tend to be very picky with guys like that, I like Mignola and that took me years to aquire..I hated Mignola on regular marvel art.

And I'm mostly speaking about the covers....always very stylized. His interior stuff is OK I guess, just not a huge fan.

Last edited by THANOSRULES; 04-17-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #30
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I'm really not trying to be an ******* here, I'm trying to understand. Too stylized? Not traditional? Compared to what exactly?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #31
roach
I am the night

why is it hard to understand someone has different taste in art

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #32
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Because when someone has a different taste in art, they can usually verbalize it better than "too artsy". That doesn't mean anything.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #33
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I think Clint is too boring a character to have his own on-going.... that clear enough for ya?

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #34
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
I think Clint is too boring a character to have his own on-going.... that clear enough for ya?

Nobody asked for your opinion but yeah.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #35
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
why is it hard to understand someone has different taste in art
I think our problem is more about the general lack of intelligence in the statement than a difference in opinion.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #36
roach
I am the night

oh ok

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #37
Nightwing 52
Things change

Cover to #3:

Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #38
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Too artsy.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #39
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

I'd sooner read Loeb do another run on Hulk than have to read another Hawkeye (mini)series.

(Cause, face it ... it's gonna turn into a mini soon enough.)

Phaedrus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #40
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Well that ends your contribution to this thread.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #41
Harlekin
Business

Fraction and Aja rocked on Iron Fist, I can see them doing the same for Hawkeye. Only trouble I can see is the archer doesn't have that big of mythology behind him (aka none).

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #42
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Here's my breakdown of Aja

The covers (especially these) look like advertising posters, they almost look like prints

He plays games with colors in order to express/highlight things (this is often exaggerted and non-subtel, it's often overdone and pretentious)

His art genrally plays games with light and dark contrasts (whats that called Churiasco or something? Again, I feel this is overdone..and creates a clear dark and "grim n' gritty" feel. Generally, the art feels very dark.

He's got a good sense of anatomy and scale.

In short, I applaud his art as quality stuff..it's incredibly thoughtful (though he over does it some)

His art comes off as well done, but extremely basic and subdued

It's not a good fit for many books or styles. He's a fit for Daredevil or Punisher, not so much for Avengers or Hawkeye.

My favorite artist's embrace colors and the art has "vibrance". I'd say Bagely, Perez, Lim, Nord, Cheung, Byrne are some of my favorite art guys..so thats where i come from.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #43
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I was going to break down your post but I'm just gonna leave you with this. You realize comic book covers are advertising posters right? I'm asking you this seriously.

Also, you haven't read the new Hawkeye book to know if his style fits with it or not.

The rest of your stuff is fine. Simple different taste stuff the only thing is, just because you don't like it doesn't make it pretentious.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #44
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
Here's my breakdown of Aja

The covers (especially these) look like advertising posters, they almost look like prints

He plays games with colors in order to express/highlight things (this is often exaggerted and non-subtel, it's often overdone and pretentious)

His art genrally plays games with light and dark contrasts (whats that called Churiasco or something? Again, I feel this is overdone..and creates a clear dark and "grim n' gritty" feel. Generally, the art feels very dark.

He's got a good sense of anatomy and scale.

In short, I applaud his art as quality stuff..it's incredibly thoughtful (though he over does it some)

His art comes off as well done, but extremely basic and subdued

It's not a good fit for many books or styles. He's a fit for Daredevil or Punisher, not so much for Avengers or Hawkeye.

My favorite artist's embrace colors and the art has "vibrance". I'd say Bagely, Perez, Lim, Nord, Cheung, Byrne are some of my favorite art guys..so thats where i come from.
so basically he's too artsy

Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #45
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
so basically he's too artsy

Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #46
roach
I am the night

thank you thank you...enjoy the lobster...remember the 5 o'clock show is different from the 2 o'clock show

Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #47
Nightwing 52
Things change

USA Today interview with Fraction:
Quote:
By Brian Truitt, USA TODAY

Published: 4/16/2012 1:57:53 PM

As Hawkeye is about to shoot onto the big screen in a major way thanks to the movie The Avengers, writer Matt Fraction is getting ahold of the man under the comic-book archer's purple goggles.

Fraction, who penned new Iron Man and Thor series in recent summers pegged to their films, takes on the adventures of Clint Barton and his costumed alter ego in Marvel Comics' Hawkeye, an ongoing series beginning in August that reteams Fraction with his The Immortal Iron Fist artist, David Aja.

"You could do worse than have the biggest movie of the summer hype your book up for the world," Fraction says of The Avengers (in theaters May 4), which features Oscar-nominated actor Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye.

Since the character's debut as an apparent criminal back in the 1960s, the Avengers' ace with a bow and arrow has been mainly a leader, of the West Coast Avengers, Thunderbolts and more recently the Secret Avengers. The aspect that Fraction was most interested in exploring, though, was the dude underneath the hero togs and what drives him when he's not at work.

"Rather than try to define what Hawkeye's role is in the Avengers, I wanted to define what is Clint Barton's role in Hawkeye — who is he and what drives him and why is he our lead?" Fraction says.

"I could close my eyes and see this Aja drawing of him with a Band-Aid across the bridge of his nose, and I got it. That's our guy. He's the Marvel Universe's Jim Rockford."

Like that old TV private eye from the 1970s, Hawkeye will be helping the people who need it the most: the little guy. And coming from the wrong side of the tracks, he knows some sketchy people, and sometimes it's good to be a "superhero" with supervillain knowledge, Fraction says.

While there will be plenty of action in the series, he adds, it won't always be in the purple getup. "Not that there's any lack of that but he's just as likely to be wearing a T-shirt and jeans at any given moment. It's his life as an action star."

Both Fraction and Aja had a certain affinity for the character as kids. It was Aja's favorite superhero and he still has a Hawkeye drawing the artist did in the third grade, Fraction says. The writer himself was a fan of the late Mark Gruenwald's Hawkeye miniseries from the 1980s and would design his own trick arrows after staring intently at Peter Sanderson's drawing of Hawkeye's repertoire in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe series.

So far, though, he hasn't channeled his inner little Fraction to add to the boomerang arrows and electroshock arrows. Not that he's afraid of that, mind you — instead, Fraction has focused on Hawkeye weaponizing what's around him, such as a deck of cards or a roll of quarters.

"Much like Tony Stark always having to carry around a suitcase full of his armor, the minute you write a book in which a dude has to carry around a bow and arrow at all times, it immediately changes the context of a scene," Fraction explains. "You can't just show up with a bow and arrow because you know (stuff's) about to go down.

"OK, if he's not acting as an Avenger at this moment, how would he go be a good guy when things get hairy and he's not allowed to rely on the boomerang arrow? What's he got with him and how does he become formidable?"

His longtime love Mockingbird, Spider-Woman and "other ladies" will be a part of the series, Fraction says, although a female character will be the main co-star of Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, the Young Avengers' Hawkeye.

Both she and her older namesake are both in a "What am I doing with my life" place as Clint comes out of Avengers vs. X-Men and Kate escapes the drama of Avengers: The Children's Crusade.

"Their relationship is very much like The Avengers— by which I mean Steed and Peel rather than the Earth's mightiest heroes," Fraction says, referring to the old British spy series. "They have a sort of mentor/mentee/peer kind of relationship built on a ton of mutual respect and lots of banter and spark. No sexual or romantic tension but a competitiveness — like a fellow spirit. Clint knows when he hangs it up, she's him.

"It's fun having Clint be around a woman he's not going to try and sleep with. And a woman with no interest in sleeping with him," the writer adds. "OK, great, that's out of the way — now what can you get at? He's been presented as a dude who, you know, gets around."

Fraction had fallen for Kate when he was writing an issue that guest-starred her at a time when Clint Barton was known as the hero Ronin. At one time, he had even planned on doing a series with Young Avengers creator Allan Heinberg, largely built on his feelings for the female archer.

"She was a character I wanted to spend time with and tell stories about," Fraction says, "and putting Clint and her together is very happy making for storyteller boy over here."

Being a mentor to Kate and looking for the common man will make Hawkeye a different series than other books and movie starring him, which is an exciting notion for Fraction.

"When the world is saved, of course everybody is helped. It's a different scale," he says. "These are very personal stories for him.

"It's me putting on my best Stephen J. Cannell face and getting to work."

Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #48
roach
I am the night

so maybe 10 issues

Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #49
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I was going to break down your post but I'm just gonna leave you with this. You realize comic book covers are advertising posters right? I'm asking you this seriously.

Also, you haven't read the new Hawkeye book to know if his style fits with it or not.

The rest of your stuff is fine. Simple different taste stuff the only thing is, just because you don't like it doesn't make it pretentious.
AJA's cover stuff XO Manowar was excellent...there i said something nice.

I do think he could work on hawkeye, he's street level and all, but he doesnt have the quasi noir background of a DD or punisher.... where the style is more of a fit.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #50
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Immortal Iron Fist. Why do you keep ignoring this? Unless you want to tell me that book was noir. Sure, it had elements but it wasn't grounded the way DD or Punisher are.