The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #26
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Default Re: For those of you who've seen it, talk awards recognition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
Despite its acclaim, there is no serious/high profile ceremony that will give a comic book movie like this that doesn't take itself seriously any sort of meaningful recognition sadly...

But, I guess stranger things have happened lately..
Yes I doubt it, even though Avengers is the best movie of the year. Yes I'm saying it before the year's over.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #27
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Special effects and a few other technicals like sound editing and that's it. I could see someone arguing Hiddleston may deserve a nomination (I'd have to see the competition first), but it ain't happening.

The only summer movie likely to be somewhat embraced by the Awards season is TDKR. Perhaps Prometheus will be if it's really good. But there is a ton of really great looking stuff that is more awards-friendly at the end of the year like Lincoln or Gatsby. Even Tarantino's Django Unchained wild card is more likely.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #28
jacobed
Banned User

Prometheus and Spider-Man are going to give Avengers a serious run for its money for visual effects

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #29
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
For the big awards I don't see it deserving of any except Joss does deserve a nod for director. I see people say Tom but come on he's just up on screen hamming it up big time, having the time of his life.
And Heath Ledger did... what exactly?

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #30
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Let's not let this snowball.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #31
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I'm not trying to turn this into a DC/Marvel Avengers/TDK thing.

I was merely using Heath's Joker as a comparison since he's the only actor from a superhero movie to get nominated for an academy award. Had someone like Alfred Molina or Fassbender got nominated I'd probably use them as a comparison instead.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #32
jacobed
Banned User

I never said Tom was bad, I loved him in it but he giggled and cackled like an 80's action villain, they let him off the leash and he took advantage. I didn't find his performance, or his characters arc award worthy.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #33
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I never said Tom was bad, I loved him in it but he giggled and cackled like an 80's action villain, they let him off the leash and he took advantage. I didn't find his performance, or his characters arc award worthy.
I guess we'll agree to disagree then eh?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #34
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Well this movie is probably gonna get nominated for MTV Movie Awards, People's Choice awards, Saturn awards and Teen choice awards. Its not Oscars, but more exposure and recognition wouldn't be bad.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #35
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

It won't get nominated for anything other than technical awards. If any superhero movie gets nominated for major awards this year, it'll be The Dark Knight Rises. That's not making any comment on the quality of the respective films, but The Dark Knight Rises is certainly marketing itself in a more Oscar-friendly manner.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I guess we'll agree to disagree then eh?
Indeed I will say though if he happened to get nominated I won't be surprised at all.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #37
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not trying to turn this into a DC/Marvel Avengers/TDK thing.

I was merely using Heath's Joker as a comparison since he's the only actor from a superhero movie to get nominated for an academy award. Had someone like Alfred Molina or Fassbender got nominated I'd probably use them as a comparison instead.
Thing is why was Ledger nominated and not Molina or Fassbender. The same as to why Hiddleston won't be nom. Ledger was acting-wise vastly superior and his character more complex.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #38
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
It won't get nominated for anything other than technical awards. If any superhero movie gets nominated for major awards this year, it'll be The Dark Knight Rises. That's not making any comment on the quality of the respective films, but The Dark Knight Rises is certainly marketing itself in a more Oscar-friendly manner.
TDK got the recognition it did because of Ledger. If he never died. TDK would just be another summer comic book movie. The Academy will never take Comic Book Movies seriously. No matter how good they are

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #39
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
TDK got the recognition it did because of Ledger. If he never died. TDK would just be another summer comic book movie. The Academy will never take Comic Book Movies seriously. No matter how good they are
That's absolutely true. But Ledger had a great acting career behind. Not only Joker was more than the classic evil/jealous/resentful villiain, but an anarchist with a very specific philosophy behind, but Dennis del Mar was an extremely complex character and very hard to pull off.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #40
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Thing is why was Ledger nominated and not Molina or Fassbender. The same as to why Hiddleston won't be nom. Ledger was acting-wise vastly superior
I never thought I'd see the day where I'd have to say Heath Ledger's Joker is overrated. Granted, it's not overrated, his performance is amazing, but to say his acting is vastly superior? I'd have to disagree. He may hold the crown as the best performance in a comic book movie, but that doesn't make it unmatchable or vastly superior as you say.

This may sound disrespectful but Hiddleston is a few notches above Molina and Fassbender in terms of performance... up there with Ledger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
and his character more complex.
... and Loki is a way more complex character than the Joker, it's actually no contest. The Joker isn't complex, he's flashy and unique and mysterious, but not complex, not in the movie anyway. Loki is one of the most complex characters in a blockbuster I've seen in a looong while.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #41
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Yeah, I really liked this movie, but no way does it merit Oscar consideration outside of the production and costume categories. (Maybe for musical score, but I'll have to watch it again to form an opinion on that).

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #42
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
I have mixed feelings on this notion. As regards Heath Ledger, I've talked about this at length before, but the short version is: do I think the performance was Oscar-worthy? Absolutely. Do I think that Oscar-worthy performance would have been recognised with an Oscar win if he hadn't died? Probably not, sadly.

And the fact that that the Academy didn't nominate The Dark Knight for any of the major categories outside of Ledger's nomination shows that comic book movies are still quick to be dismissed. HOWEVER, there are a lot of factors working in The Dark Knight Rises' favour. First, there's the backlash against the Dark Knight snub. It has been said that it was the vocal outcry from many quarters over The Dark Knight not getting nominated that prompted the Academy to extend the Best Picture category from 5 films to 10 the following year, and if this is indeed the case Academy voters might be feeling the pressure to rectify that oversight this time round. Then there's the "end of the series" factor that has proven in the past to give previously-overlooked genre pictures that extra boost onto the nomination shortlist: see The Return of the King. Finally, there's the fact that the advertising for the film has been very serious, epic, and drama-heavy, suggesting that Nolan and co are really striving to frame this almost as a kind of Oscar prestige picture.

Much of this depends on the film actually being good, of course...

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #43
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

The Avengers was far too enjoyable to be recognized for an oscar. lol

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10, Maze Runner- 8/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #44
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I honestly think for the CGI alone, this will get a Best Visual Effects Oscar nom (and possibly a win). And probably some nods for sound mixing and editing.

But as for Best Picture... never in a million years. If TDK didn't get one, we can kiss any chances of TA or TDKR getting BP nominations.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #45
Rowsdower!
ESREVER

I could see it winning for effects, and maybe some award no one cares about like sound editing or something.

The performances were all great, but I don't think any of them stood out enough that they merit an award or a nomination. Then again, we are talking about the people who nominated Jonah Hill for standing in front of the camera with a blank look on his face, so who knows.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #46
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
And Heath Ledger did... what exactly?
I see you're trying to pick a fanboy fight, but I"ll just say Ledger's Joker was electrifyingly iconic. Every second he was on screen he stole the movie (which was still a really great crime film when he was off screen). It's hard to explain, but he was a driving force in the movie like the shark in Jaws. Loki is the villain, but he's intentionally not very threatening ("You lack conviction," "Puny god") and he also has to take a backseat to The Avengers squabbling amongst themselves for most of the movie.

Tom Hiddleston was great, but it was a much hammier and over-the-top performance and he didn't get to push the audience's buttons like Ledger did. I said in another thread Ledger's Joker is going down in film history alongside Hannibal Lecter, Darth Vader, the shark in Jaws, etc. as an unforgettable villain. Loki is just not there. I doubt that performance will be talked about many years from now.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #47
bonzob2000
Side-Kick

The problem with awards consideration for Avengers, other than the fact that the academy doesn't like awarding "popcorn" summer blockbusters, is that Joss almost did too good a job giving every character their moment and not letting anyone dominate. I remember there was talk about RDJ as a longshot nom for Iron Man, and I could see that talk springing up again... if Avengers had been "Iron Man and Friends," but it wasn't. The most praised performances other than Downey's have been Ruffalo's and Hiddleston's, but even then it's hard to imagine them getting awards recognition because they don't "stand out" enough from the great ensemble. When Downey got a nod for Tropic Thunder, it was because his performance was clearly on another level from everyone else in the movie. To an extent, that's true of Ledger's Joker as well. But Avengers is so balanced and the performances are all so strong that even the "stand outs" don't really stand out.

Plus, I think Hiddleston is hurt by being less menacing than the Joker. He's unhinged and gets a lot of great scenes, but he is also beat up quite a bit (shot through a wall, pounded into the floor). You never really fear him in the way you fear the Joker.

Ruffalo on the other hand, is hurt by the fact that part of his performance is CG, which the academy never likes to recognize (witness Serkis).

BUT... if the Avengers keeps up this torrid box office run, I could see it squeaking in as the eight or ninth (or tenth) best picture nominee. It has the reviews for it. It even has better reviews than some previous nominees (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, for example). If it happened, it would likely be one of those situations where it is only nominated for technical stuff and best picture.

Last edited by bonzob2000; 05-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
bonzob2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #48
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I see you're trying to pick a fanboy fight, but I"ll just say Ledger's Joker was electrifyingly iconic. Every second he was on screen he stole the movie (which was still a really great crime film when he was off screen). It's hard to explain, but he was a driving force in the movie like the shark in Jaws. Loki is the villain, but he's intentionally not very threatening ("You lack conviction," "Puny god") and he also has to take a backseat to The Avengers squabbling amongst themselves for most of the movie.

Tom Hiddleston was great, but it was a much hammier and over-the-top performance and he didn't get to push the audience's buttons like Ledger did. I said in another thread Ledger's Joker is going down in film history alongside Hannibal Lecter, Darth Vader, the shark in Jaws, etc. as an unforgettable villain. Loki is just not there. I doubt that performance will be talked about many years from now.
I clearly stated I wasn't trying to start a fight. If you'd read my post above you'd see that I was comparing Tom to Heath because he's the only CBM actor to be nominated for an academy award

And I agree pretty much with everything you said. I'm talking purely performance here. Unless you think Heath was nominated due to The Joker's iconography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I honestly think for the CGI alone, this will get a Best Visual Effects Oscar nom (and possibly a win). And probably some nods for sound mixing and editing.

But as for Best Picture... never in a million years. If TDK didn't get one, we can kiss any chances of TA or TDKR getting BP nominations.
You realize TDK wasn't nominated because at the time there were only 5 slots right? In this day and age when movies like The Blind Side get nominated, any movie, as long as it's critically acclaimed, has a chance. Then again, Rise of the Planet of the Apes was shafted BIG TIME. That was the best movie of 2011 in my opinion.

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 05-09-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #49
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzob2000 View Post
The problem with awards consideration for Avengers, other than the fact that the academy doesn't like awarding "popcorn" summer blockbusters, is that Joss almost did too good a job giving every character their moment and not letting anyone dominate. I remember there was talk about RDJ as a longshot nom for Iron Man, and I could see that talk springing up again... if Avengers had been "Iron Man and Friends," but it wasn't. The most praised performances other than Downey's have been Ruffalo's and Hiddleston's, but even then it's hard to imagine them getting awards recognition because they don't "stand out" enough from the great ensemble. When Downey got a nod for Tropic Thunder, it was because his performance was clearly on another level from everyone else in the movie. To an extent, that's true of Ledger's Joker as well. But Avengers is so balanced and the performances are all so strong that even the "stand outs" don't really stand out.

Plus, I think Hiddleston is hurt by being less menacing than the Joker. He's unhinged and gets a lot of great scenes, but he is also beat up quite a bit (shot through a wall, pounded into the floor). You never really fear him in the way you fear the Joker.

Ruffalo on the other hand, is hurt by the fact that part of his performance is CG, which the academy never likes to recognize (witness Serkis).

BUT... if the Avengers keeps up this torrid box office run, I could see it squeaking in as the eight or ninth (or tenth) best picture nominee. It has the reviews for it. It even has better reviews than some previous nominees (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, for example). If it happened, it would likely be one of those situations where it is only nominated for technical stuff and best picture.
Great post

Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #50
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I see you're trying to pick a fanboy fight
Sorry, but you see this attitude is unacceptable. How was he trying to pick a fight. Some of you people have a mentality that anything tdk related is sacred and above criticism. NO. As mesmerizing as HL's Joker was to many people, it was a one-dimensional character; just someone acting crazy. If he hadn't died he probably would not of even gotten nominated. No offence.

Likewise I don't think THE AVENGERS will get nominated for anything except maybe the odd technical award and I doubt it will win.

The academy awards are not awards of the best in cinema. The average age of the academy (according to what I heard) is 62 years. Thus the academy awards are what's best to artsy-minded 60 year olds.