The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #51
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: For those of you who've seen it, talk awards recognition

Here's what I see potential:

Slim Possibly: Best Picture - since they went to 9 pictures, I think there is a chance here, albeit I'd give it 30% chance as the Academy hates these type of movies. However as Avengers will in all likelyhood be the top grossing film of the year, there have been many times where the highest grossing film did get a nomination. Toy Story 3, Avatar, Return of the King, Titanic.

Possibly: Actor in supporting roll: Best actor or actress is going to go to a high brow type movie, and since this is an ensemble film it's hard to say there is a "lead" roll.
-RDJ
-Mark Ruffalo
- Tom Hiddleston
are the most likely candidates here

Possibly: Best screen play - I don't think Whedon will be nominated for best director on his first major big budget Hollywood film and there's no precedence for that. However he's a long time writer, and I could see them awarding him for this for all the work he's done on this and other films.

Somewhat Likely: Best original score: It's Alan Silvestri and it's a great score.

Very Likely: Sound editing - I don't think I need to say anything here do I?

Very Likely: Visual FX: Hulk ......'nuff said.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #52
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

I'm sorry Shadowlord, but you can't be taken seriously with your blind hate over anything TDK-related, especially if you're honestly calling Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker one-dimensional. However, that's your opinion.

Tom Hiddleston did a great job in his role as Loki but he easily got eclipsed by RDJ and Ruffalo. To me, Tom was far more menacing in Thor simply because he had time to develop but his Loki in TA became the typical villain in action movies and nothing more.

So while I'm a fan of Hiddleston, I can't in all good conscience compare Loki to The Joker. The Joker was written far better, and had more to time to shine.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #53
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

OK both sides need to calm the hell down on this. If someone thinks Hiddleston was better, that's their opinion. If someone thinks the Joker was better that's their opinion.

I will say this. IMHO, the Joker was intentionally one dimensional, and as someone mentioned Loki was intentionally weak, or "lacked conviction". I think both character were bad ass in their own ways.

They are two totally different characters. The Joker was a sociopath, and had no motivation other than to instill chaos. Loki is the god of mischief and likes to muck with things. As revealed in the movie, he's going after earth because he knows it will get to Thor.

So in short I think that some of you are shorting what Heath did, and the rest are shorting what Hiddleston did. If you didn't think Hiddleston was great in this movie, I don't know what movie you were watching.

What shocked me most about Hulk flinging him around like a rag doll is that he survived it. That's impressive of itself.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #54
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
What shocked me most about Hulk flinging him around like a rag doll is that he survived it. That's impressive of itself.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #55
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Honestly, I don't think it will be close as far as any of hte marvel people getting any of the actor awards. They'll make there hay in the editing, score, and effects categories.

The academy is very fickle(imho) if ledger didn't pass away, I dont' think he gets the BSA award. (I'm in no way saying he didn't deserve it, I thought he did from jump, but I was still shocked he actually got it)

It's just like Ron Santo. the guy was never thought of twice while alive and then he dies and they decide, oh he is good enough now lets put him in the hall after he passes on.

Last edited by MarvelKnight; 05-09-2012 at 06:58 PM.
MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #56
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I'm sorry Shadowlord, but you can't be taken seriously with your blind hate over anything TDK-related, especially if you're honestly calling Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker one-dimensional. However, that's your opinion.

Tom Hiddleston did a great job in his role as Loki but he easily got eclipsed by RDJ and Ruffalo. To me, Tom was far more menacing in Thor simply because he had time to develop but his Loki in TA became the typical villain in action movies and nothing more.

So while I'm a fan of Hiddleston, I can't in all good conscience compare Loki to The Joker. The Joker was written far better, and had more to time to shine.
I'm not arguing over which character was better. My problem with you nolan fans is that you have an attitude of everything tdk related is sacred and above criticism and whenever someone makes a derogatory comment about it it's like a crime against nature.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #57
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
OK both sides need to calm the hell down on this. If someone thinks Hiddleston was better, that's their opinion. If someone thinks the Joker was better that's their opinion. I will say this. IMHO, the Joker was intentionally one dimensional, and as someone mentioned Loki was intentionally weak, or "lacked conviction". I think both character were bad ass in their own ways. They are two totally different characters. The Joker was a sociopath, and had no motivation other than to instill chaos. Loki is the god of mischief and likes to muck with things. As revealed in the movie, he's going after earth because he knows it will get to Thor. So in short I think that some of you are shorting what Heath did, and the rest are shorting what Hiddleston did. If you didn't think Hiddleston was great in this movie, I don't know what movie you were watching. What shocked me most about Hulk flinging him around like a rag doll is that he survived it. That's impressive of itself.
Thank you. Someone else with perceptiveness.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #58
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
Lol.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #59
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzob2000 View Post

BUT... if the Avengers keeps up this torrid box office run, I could see it squeaking in as the eight or ninth (or tenth) best picture nominee. It has the reviews for it. It even has better reviews than some previous nominees (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, for example). If it happened, it would likely be one of those situations where it is only nominated for technical stuff and best picture.
I just don't see enough these middle age men in their late 50s giving them the #1 vote. ELIC did have shoddy reviews but there was a small enough contingent who love Stephen Daldry. That movie and his last two got nominations.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #60
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
I'm not arguing over which character was better. My problem with you nolan fans is that you have an attitude of everything tdk related is sacred and above criticism and whenever someone makes a derogatory comment about it it's like a crime against nature.
TDK is not sacred. It's my all-time favorite CBM but I've had my own criticisms with the film. In fact, I have list, but Ledger's Joker is perhaps the greatest performance in the CBM genre to date, and while Hiddleston's portrayal of Loki was exceptional, he was nowhere near Heath's Joker.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #61
bonzob2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I just don't see enough these middle age men in their late 50s giving them the #1 vote. ELIC did have shoddy reviews but there was a small enough contingent who love Stephen Daldry. That movie and his last two got nominations.
I agree it's an extreme longshot, but with up to ten nominees allowed these days, it's a possibility, especially if the public adoration and box office take becomes too large to ignore (Avatar syndrome, basically).

And there were a fair amount of middle-aged men who liked the movie quite a bit, judging by the critical reaction at least.

Plus, most academy members are actors, so a movie with a large, well-respected cast always has a leg up. Not many blockbusters can claim a cast featuring Robert Downey Jr. (two-time Oscar nominee), Gweneth Paltrow (Oscar winner), Mark Ruffalo (Oscar nominee), Jeremy Renner (two-time Oscar nominee) and Samuel L Jackson (Oscar nominee), plus longtime veterans like ScarJo (who is at least a Golden Globe nominee), well-liked up and comers like Hiddleston, Hemsworth, and Evans, and respected character actors like Skarsgard, Harry Dean Stanton, and Powers Boothe. I would say only Nolan's blockbusters come close to matching that pedigree in recent years.

Lastly, don't forget Joss himself has an Oscar nomination for writing and is well respected in the Hollywood writing community.

bonzob2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #62
zentype
Newbie First Class

Ahh if only there was a "Most Faithful Translation from Print to Screen" award.

This movie would win it by far. It's not the best "Movie based off a comic-book." But it definitely is the best movie that most faithfully captures the feel of a comic book. It really is like a comic book come to life.

If there was ever a reason to get a bigger TV at home it would be this bluray when it's finally released.

zentype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #63
Revenant
Ted Kord

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
If Ledger and Nicholson got nods for the Joker, then Hiddleston deserves one for his portrayal of Loki.
One of the most preposterous, assy, fanboy driven statements I have ever read on these boards. Hiddleston did nothing even close to Ledger's or Nicholson's Joker. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #64
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Nicholson never got an Oscar nomination for the Joker.

Spill

Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #65
Fenrir
Devourer Of Gods

Quote:
Here's what I see potential:

Slim Possibly: Best Picture - since they went to 9 pictures, I think there is a chance here, albeit I'd give it 30% chance as the Academy hates these type of movies. However as Avengers will in all likelyhood be the top grossing film of the year, there have been many times where the highest grossing film did get a nomination. Toy Story 3, Avatar, Return of the King, Titanic.
The Academy changed the ruling last year. They longer have to nominate 10 pictures anymore, but if they want and think that there are enough great movies in a year to warrant recognition, they can do so up to 10 movies. So if they deem there are only 6 or 7 worthy candidates, they will nominate only those 6 or 7, and not 10. A Best Picture nod for The Avengers is out of the question.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #66
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
One of the most preposterous, assy, fanboy driven statements I have ever read on these boards. Hiddleston did nothing even close to Ledger's or Nicholson's Joker. Not even in the same stratosphere.
How ironic, because this is one of the most preposterous, assy, fanboy driven statements I have ever read on these boards. Tom Hiddleston's Loki was as great as any of the top comic book movie performances, the only difference is that he didn't stand out as much as Ledger did because the whole Avengers cast was on it's own level of unmatched awesome unlike.... nevermind, I won't go there. I'll leave it at that.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #67
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentype View Post
Ahh if only there was a "Most Faithful Translation from Print to Screen" award.

This movie would win it by far. It's not the best "Movie based off a comic-book." But it definitely is the best movie that most faithfully captures the feel of a comic book. It really is like a comic book come to life.

If there was ever a reason to get a bigger TV at home it would be this bluray when it's finally released.
Most Definitely

Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #68
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I never thought I'd see the day where I'd have to say Heath Ledger's Joker is overrated. Granted, it's not overrated, his performance is amazing, but to say his acting is vastly superior? I'd have to disagree. He may hold the crown as the best performance in a comic book movie, but that doesn't make it unmatchable or vastly superior as you say.
Oh, I absolutely think nothing is unmatchable. Ledger's performance can be topped, no doubt.

Quote:
This may sound disrespectful but Hiddleston is a few notches above Molina and Fassbender in terms of performance... up there with Ledger.
Above Fassbender, yes, as I didn't find him good but nothing else. And he can come close to Molina only because Molina had quite a share of bad dialogue to work with. But Hiddlestone needs more to approach the levels of Ledger or, for the matter, Ian McKellen.

That said, I think both the actor and the character have a huge potential, from which we have seen only the top of the iceberg.

Quote:
... and Loki is a way more complex character than the Joker, it's actually no contest. The Joker isn't complex, he's flashy and unique and mysterious, but not complex, not in the movie anyway. Loki is one of the most complex characters in a blockbuster I've seen in a looong while.
I'm not talking about the characters but the performances. The Joker could have actually been portrayed with an origin, the shy comedian who becomes an outgoing psychopath, giving him more background, etc etc. But in terms of acting is much more complex to flesh out a character without a background and yet full of life and where you can tell there's always something going on behind his glance, words, gestures. You just don't get to know exactly what. And that is pure acting.

But yes, Loki is nothing short of a complex character. Problem is that the movies ultimately portray him as the 'evil being that must be stopped' instead of something else. In "Thor" his most interesting scene is when he finds out who he really is and goes all Shakesperian after Odin to get an explanation. And just when I was thinking he was totally right and that Odin was a miserable s.o.b. for doing that to him... the movie puts everything suddenly off having Odin falling into that 'divine coma' so Loki is thrown to the 'average greedy evil character who takes advantage of things' kind of character. And all his inner conflict is mostly forgotten in order to make him hateful. In Avengers he had a couple of very good scenes (Germany and Black Widow interogation) but that was it. And yes, in the end they felt Loki needed to be defeated in a comedic way which I personally consider one of the biggest disservices a good villiain could get, no matter how many people laughed and paid their ticket.

So I think Loki will need an even better material if he wants to step up from 'good' to the Absolutely Great Villiain gallery. I mean, part of Ledger's Joker success was how good his scenes and dialogues were.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #69
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
I think he did. Is it still too soon for some people? I'm sure it was meant in a light-hearted manner, though, I cannot say for sure cause I'm not Psychic (though that'd be cool)
It has nothing to do with the timing. My issue is that he implies we prefer him to be dead so he can have an Oscar.

Spill

Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #70
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Somebody recently got banned for making a similar comment. So, I think it's still too early to be making 'Heath Ledger' jokes revolving around mortality and awards.
Ah I see. Thanks for the insight.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #71
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Hiddleston was great, but really he was nowhere near Mckellen, Fassbender or Ledger.
I'd put him on par with Molina's Doc Ock.

Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #72
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
It has nothing to do with the timing. My issue is that he implies we prefer him to be dead so he can have an Oscar.
I know what you mean. I think it's obvious people would rather see him alive, well and making movies than having some stupid gold statue attached to your name

But enough of these depressing thoughts.

Anyone think Soundgarden will get nominated for their Avengers song? If 3-6 Mafia can win an oscar, Soundgarden can win!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #73
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Hiddleston was great, but really he was nowhere near Mckellen, Fassbender or Ledger.
Fassbender was good, I think Dock Ock was better though. Point of personal preference I suppose.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #74
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Prior to Ledger, McKellen undoubtedly held the number one spot. One the greatest on-screen villains. EVER.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #75
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I wish people would stop using the term "nowhere near" it's stupid. If Tom Hiddleston's Loki is "nowhere near" McKellen/Fassbender or even Ledger then I truly wonder if people even know what acting is anymore.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote