The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #101
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Default Re: For those of you who've seen it, talk awards recognition

Not to mention that Avengers has to focus on multiple heroes and one villain.

TDK had one hero, one villain, and supporting cast. People went to see TDK for Batman and Joker...and people went to see Avengers for EVERYBODY.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #102
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
Not to mention that Avengers has to focus on multiple heroes and one villain.

TDK had one hero, one villain, and supporting cast. People went to see TDK for Batman and Joker...and people went to see Avengers for EVERYBODY.
Yep. Batman and Joker were the heavyweights (or the main event) in TDK while The Avengers had to squeeze in Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Loki.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #103
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I don't think avengers is going to take a single award except maybe sound editing.

wont get best picture.
wont get best special effects (hobbit)
wont take best score (very generic)

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #104
bonzob2000
Side-Kick

What's interesting is that Avengers is a great or near-great film, and yet most of its technical concerns are more "good" than great. Well-directed but not superlative, well-edited but not brilliantly so, good effects but not mindblowing photo real throughout... really is a testament to how good the actors and especially the script is... that's what makes it so much better than most recent blockbusters to me.

bonzob2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #105
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Yep. Batman and Joker were the heavyweights (or the main event) in TDK while The Avengers had to squeeze in Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Loki.
yes but the focus of the film was primarily on IM, Cap, Hulk, Loki, BW, Thor in that order (well IM, Cap and Hulk would be tied).

Clearly the standout performances were from Downey, Ruffalo and Hiddleston and I think everyone has recognized that.

If someone gets an award it will be one of those three.

Also Hiddleston should get alot of praise because it was a continuation of what he did with the character from Thor. I thought he did the most with showing how different the character was in this film, while still tying it to the last one.

IMHO of the marvel villains, Hiddleston and Weaving separated themselves from the pack, with Fassbender being a close 2nd.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #106
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
yes but the focus of the film was primarily on IM, Cap, Hulk, Loki, BW, Thor in that order (well IM, Cap and Hulk would be tied).

Clearly the standout performances were from Downey, Ruffalo and Hiddleston and I think everyone has recognized that.

If someone gets an award it will be one of those three.

Also Hiddleston should get alot of praise because it was a continuation of what he did with the character from Thor. I thought he did the most with showing how different the character was in this film, while still tying it to the last one.

IMHO of the marvel villains, Hiddleston and Weaving separated themselves from the pack, with Fassbender being a close 2nd.
Whoa, let's not get overboard here. Hiddleston definitely deserves acclamation but RDJ, Ruffalo and Hemsworth were the bigger stand outs, in my opinion. Tom was definitely in my top five performances, but his wasn't the best out of the five. He edged out Evans but not the other three.

Ian's Magneto has been Marvel's best villain (followed by Fassbender's Magneto and Hiddleston's Loki) and none has topped McKellen's performance. As for Weaving's Red Skull, dude, Hugo is an outstanding actor and he did all he could for the character but Red Skull has got to be one of Marvel Studios' most poorly written villains.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #107
Drizzle
Assemble Again

The way I see it, if Star Wars and District 9 could get a Best Picture nomination, then so can The Avengers.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #108
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Oh, no doubt. The ensemble cast was absolutely filled with stellar actors but TDK's cast was no less stellar than The Avengers. Heath Ledger had to contend with the likes of Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine. While no easy feat, Ledger stole the spotlight from these academy-nominated and award-winning actors.

The problem with why Hiddleston didn't shine the way he did in Thor was more than just RDJ, Ruffalo and Hemsworth, it was the script that limited Tom. Joss had to balance a large number of characters in The Avengers, so there had to be trimming of character's arc (compared to Heath's and Nolan's Joker where the role was built around with more prolific writing).
Very well said. No favoritism or bias here, either.

Oh, and I take back what I said in the previous page. SFX AND costumes.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #109
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
The way I see it, if Star Wars and District 9 could get a Best Picture nomination, then so can The Avengers.
I think I'm about to create a s**tstorm with my post, but I disagree completely. Especially about Star Wars.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #110
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I just expect the traditional nominations like sound editing, mixing, set design or art direction.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #111
warhorse78
Side-Kick

You know what though, I definitely do see an oscar in the very near future for Tom Hiddleston, I think he was the stand out performance in both the Avengers and Thor movies, and he had a brief, but excellent role in Warhorse. That man is just dripping with charisma. I won't be surprised if Jeremy Renner gets his oscar eventually either, in the future.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #112
weezerspider
Side-Kick

56 people have been nominated for an Academy Award posthumously and only 15 of those people won the award. Just sayin. There's never a "sympathy" vote in those situations.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #113
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

So now that TDKR has been released and The Avengers has bested it in critical acclaim and is the third highest grossing movie of all-time, do you think Disney will push this one hard for some nominations?

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #114
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I really don't expect any acting nominations for The Avengers.

Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #115
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Probably not, but I actually think it's got a shot at a lot of tech stuff and even adapted screenplay

Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #116
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
If Ledger and Nicholson got nods for the Joker, then Hiddleston deserves one for his portrayal of Loki.
Yup I agree with this.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #117
metaphysician
Side-Kick

It won't happen, though.

I think it really comes down to the technical nominations. Avengers will get a ton of them. Whether it wins any will depend on the competition, and how displeased the Academy membership is with its runaway success.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #118
CB Fan
The Watcher

I think Tom was the best of the bunch acting wise and deserves a nomination. As a film major with an emphasis on performance and production I was amazed by his performance, there were so many beats in the script's dialogue that had to be noticed and executed by Tom (especially in his interrogation with the black widow) and if he even missed one his whole performance would have been deemed corny and lacking. I would even say I was as amazed with him as I was with Heath's Joker. He probably won't get nominated but he definitely deserves to be.

CB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #119
jacobed
Banned User

I found Tom to be way over the top and didn't really do anything award worthy.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #120
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Will win best special effects. Most of what we saw in TDKR was practical. None of Hobbit look that spectacular, we've seen it - maybe the sequel will with Smog, other than that all I see are Hobbits, Gollum, and trolls. Leaving Avengers as a deserving shoe in. That tracking shot alone through NYC tintin style gives it that; there's no way that was in camera flying throug the city like that and its a shot I think Spielberg AND Jackson said couldn't be done live action when discussing that scene in Tintin's finale and these guys pulled it off - THAT is might special effects.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 07-24-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #121
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

screenplay is a possibility. the rest will be technical awards. Given the expanded nominations, Best Picture is actually an outside possibility, despite lack of major noms.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #122
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I actually think there's a good chance either Prometheus or TDKR will scoop the Best SFX awards. Both are more "high concept", which will appeal to the Academy, and I tend to think they favor practical over CGI.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #123
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I might be wrong, but there is visual effects (the dark knight) and special effects (avengers). One involving stunt teams the other computer technicians. Also prometheus would be more art design since I'm pretty sure most of it except the planet and holograms were old school set over computer.

Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #124
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
In your opinion. In mine, Ledger got a nomination because it was his last major performance and he was robbed of the Best Actor Oscar for Brokeback Mountain. The Academy does that sort of thing a lot.
You might want to check your facts on that.

In the 84-year history of the Academy Awards, only two actors have won posthumous Oscars.

Two. Peter Finch (The Network) and Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight). And the sympathy argument pretty much falls flat on its face when you take into account that James Dean was nominated twice after his death, and didn't win either time. Now that that's been cleared up, I hardly consider two posthumous winners in the acting categories to be a common occurrence.

In addition to winning the Academy Award, Ledger cleaned house during the awards circuit that year. I actually made a thread keeping track of all of the awards Ledger won back in 2008.

Out of 49 total awards, he won 43. But if you narrow it down to just Best Supporting Actor awards, he won 36 out of 39.

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...ghlight=ledger

And I'm not just talking about the big awards ceremonies. He swept the film critic circles as well. Fast-forward to now, and as you read through the reviews for TDKR, what's the common complaint? No Heath Ledger, no Joker. Four years later, and critics/audiences are still singing praises for that performance - to such an extent that they have a difficult time moving on from it. As someone who has been following the awards season for years, I can confidently tell you that an actor doesn't win that many awards and receive that level of acclaim with just the sympathy vote. It just doesn't happen - especially for posthumous nominees.

Now, Hiddleston was good (great at times), but in my sincere opinion, he didn't come anywhere close to touching Ledger's performance. I don't see him getting awards recognition beyond the MTV/Scream/Spike awards, and I honestly doubt that critics/audiences would have a hard time enjoying The Avengers 2 if he didn't make an appearance in that film. Hell, I didn't even consider Hiddleston's to be the best performance in the film.

Simply put, I'm not seeing this performance having the same kind of cultural or cinematic impact that Ledger's Joker had.

Last edited by Boom; 07-28-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #125
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Simply put, I'm not seeing this performance having the same kind of cultural or cinematic impact that Ledger's Joker had.
It definitely had one of those with the ladies, I've never seen something quite like this Loki phenomenon before:
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/loki