The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #126
Boom
I got nothin'

Default Re: For those of you who've seen it, talk awards recognition

I'm genuinely frightened to click that link .

Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #127
Godzilla2000
Legendary Dragon Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Yup I agree with this.
I think in a future Thor movie there will be a performance from Tom as Loki that will be absolutely powerful enough for an Oscar nomination, but not in Avengers though.

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all." The Breakfast Club

- It's easy to sell out and do things with no conscience all for the greed when you don't care about all the things that really matter in life.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #128
Pond
Side-Kick

I dunno; the academy likes breakhtroughs. It likes trilogies made on one run that end up aclaimed, like TLOTR. It likes movies like Avatar, that makes money and changes the game in special effects and 3d. It likes silent movies hommages, academic little dramas that feel serious, it likes small movies that make big profit etc etc... Things that stand out for something.

Avengers is the succesfull culmination of the whole "lets build towards one movie that unites the protagonists of our movies, as a plan made obvious since the beginning" wich is diferent than the usual crossover. It took balls. And it was a big risk. The plan worked, the movie has broken box office records and has been aclaimed critically.

The academy likes that. It likes that very, very much.

Its a long shot, a very long shot and i would be quite surprised if it happened, mostly because if Avatar got nominated, its from a director that has brought much money to the industry (and, yes, they like that too) and has a carrer of advancing cgi and special effects behind him that has made him a household name...

Also, i think Avatars technical advancements might be better valued than those of Avengers; i dont know how they might contemplate the whole Avengers expreiment.

But if there are 10 nominated, i dont think its THAT impossible. Still very very dificult, unlikely, highly surprising even, but i dont believe its the sure thing so many think it is.

Last edited by Pond; 08-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #129
jacobed
Banned User

It'll be nominated for tech awards but I don't think it'll win any. Visual effects was its best chance because of the Hulk but Iron Man looked pretty bad in many of his shots. Plus Prometheus came around with amazing effects as well as The Amazing Spiderman and TDKR

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #130
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Prometheus was more art design, the planet wasn't anything we haven't seen in the past. Spider-Man, once again we've seen it before except for the lizard. The Dark Knight Rises was all mostly practical. Also I have yet to see one thing new in 'The Hobbit,' which is kind of disappointing for me. Avengers has effects in the bag, Whedon claimed that the SECOND he had the thirty-five second camera tracking shot through the skyline of the city. No film has ever attempted a tracking shot to those degrees before to the point that it's impossible to tell how they even did it. The last forty five minutes was a full out war on New York City with camera angles that I have never seen even attempted on film before and I believe that's because Whedon came in to directing film with fresh new eyes and didn't take no for an answer. And yes, even the studio thought what Whedon imagined was nearly impossible.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-05-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #131
jacobed
Banned User

I'm sorry why is practical bad? It's still a visual effect. If anything it deserves more praise.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #132
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Release of the remake reminded me that The original Total Recall didnt compete for a Visual Effects Oscar.
The Academy just GAVE it to TR.
It had no competition that year .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #133
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
I dunno; the academy likes breakhtroughs. It likes trilogies made on one run that end up aclaimed, like TLOTR. It likes movies like Avatar, that makes money and changes the game in special effects and 3d. It likes silent movies hommages, academic little dramas that feel serious, it likes small movies that make big profit etc etc... Things that stand out for something.

Avengers is the succesfull culmination of the whole "lets build towards one movie that unites the protagonists of our movies, as a plan made obvious since the beginning" wich is diferent than the usual crossover. It took balls. And it was a big risk. The plan worked, the movie has broken box office records and has been aclaimed critically.

The academy likes that. It likes that very, very much.

Its a long shot, a very long shot and i would be quite surprised if it happened, mostly because if Avatar got nominated, its from a director that has brought much money to the industry (and, yes, they like that too) and has a carrer of advancing cgi and special effects behind him that has made him a household name...

Also, i think Avatars technical advancements might be better valued than those of Avengers; i dont know how they might contemplate the whole Avengers expreiment.

But if there are 10 nominated, i dont think its THAT impossible. Still very very dificult, unlikely, highly surprising even, but i dont believe its the sure thing so many think it is.
Avatar got the nom, but not the prize .
Big Box Office doesnt have quite the pull with The Academy that it used to .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #134
Pond
Side-Kick

I agree, mysteryman, sorry if i did not explain myself correctly. I meant that it could have an improbable but not quite impossible chance at being NOMINATED. The Win? Well, if i get allmost a heart attack from the surprise if it gets nominated, imagine what would happen if it won, wich is not impossible just because nothing in this world seems impossible, but clearly, just the next step below impossible. Pipe dream? Allmost impossible?

Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #135
jacobed
Banned User

It's impossible. It won't win. Nominated eh maybe they'll make it one of their 5 or 6 that mean nothing and don't stand a chance. Also another huge contender for visual effects should be Ted. That bear looks and feels real the entire movie.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #136
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I'm sorry why is practical bad? It's still a visual effect. If anything it deserves more praise.
Practical usually means done before, despite loving TDKR it had nothing I haven't seen before in one way or another. That's the thing.

Whereas I can look at Avengers and say - yeah, I've never seen NYC turned into a total battlegrounds like that nor have I ever saw a tracking shot with so many components throughout the skies of manhattan. It's kind of a shoe-in.

To me the most deserving is the one with the greatest number of breakthroughs in that field of things we haven't seen before in any way, shape, or form.

As said:

VISUAL EFFECTS - AVENGERS

ART DESIGN - THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Those are the categories where they made advancements... as to what will be nominated in VFX...

1. Avengers
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Lincoln (a drama is always nominated and this WILL have visual effects to recreate the time period)
4. Skyfall
5. The Hobbit

Other possibile additions:

The Hunger Games
Prometheus
The Amazing Spider-Man
Looper
Cloud Atlas

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 08-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote