The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 04-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Default Favorite Superhero Novels?

So we all love superhero comics no question about that! But what about superhero novels? Do you guys have any that you would recommened? My personal favorites include Spider-Man 1 and 3 by Peter David, HULK also by Peter David, The Death and Life of Superman by Roger Stein, and Batman No Man's Land by Greg Rucka.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Victarion
Cut

Default Re: Favorite Superhero Novels?

Hellboy: Bones of Giants or some similar title. Hellboy has to prevent the Ragnarok and deal with the re-emergence of figures from Norse mythology such as Fenrir and is accompanied by Abe and a pair of dwarves.

If you want marvel babbies to stop torchering Idris Elba, copy and paste this into your signature.
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Kirk Langstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
HLReasby
Side-Kick

Anyone interested in superheroes should check out my husband's novel. I like to describe it as Marvel's Avengers meets James Bond. The lead character is a member of MI:6 who is recruited for a super-powered team that works behind the scenes to protect Great Britain's interests. It has all the things that the cool kids are excited about these days: realistic characters, villains who are truly villainous, genuine artificial intelligence, and multi-layered motivations.

Awaken: The Children of Divinity, Book One

Achilles. Persus. Cu Chulainn. Joan of Arc. Their names ring through the millenia. They were called gods, heroes, the sons and daughters of divinity. Today we know their kind by another word: Superhero.

Jordan Law is the best sniper that the British Secret Intelligence Service has ever seen. Possessing a singular talent for slipping in and out of places that no human should be able to. She is a woman with a secret. Possessing superhuman strength, speed, and reflexes, and the ability to make herself seemingly disappear into thin air, she is the perfect operative, an unstoppable assassin.

After a successful mission to eliminate a terrorist leader, Jordan's secret is discovered by a shadowy organization within British Intelligence. She is drawn into a secret war where superhuman soldiers struggle to keep their own kind from preying on normal humans. Faced with the greatest challenge of her life, Jordan must push herself beyond the limits of what she though she could do to protect her family, her teammates, and the world from a threat that has worked behind the scenes since the earliest days of humanity.

HLReasby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLReasby View Post
Anyone interested in superheroes should check out my husband's novel. I like to describe it as Marvel's Avengers meets James Bond. The lead character is a member of MI:6 who is recruited for a super-powered team that works behind the scenes to protect Great Britain's interests. It has all the things that the cool kids are excited about these days: realistic characters, villains who are truly villainous, genuine artificial intelligence, and multi-layered motivations.

Awaken: The Children of Divinity, Book One

Achilles. Persus. Cu Chulainn. Joan of Arc. Their names ring through the millenia. They were called gods, heroes, the sons and daughters of divinity. Today we know their kind by another word: Superhero.

Jordan Law is the best sniper that the British Secret Intelligence Service has ever seen. Possessing a singular talent for slipping in and out of places that no human should be able to. She is a woman with a secret. Possessing superhuman strength, speed, and reflexes, and the ability to make herself seemingly disappear into thin air, she is the perfect operative, an unstoppable assassin.

After a successful mission to eliminate a terrorist leader, Jordan's secret is discovered by a shadowy organization within British Intelligence. She is drawn into a secret war where superhuman soldiers struggle to keep their own kind from preying on normal humans. Faced with the greatest challenge of her life, Jordan must push herself beyond the limits of what she though she could do to protect her family, her teammates, and the world from a threat that has worked behind the scenes since the earliest days of humanity.
Well, if the "cool kids" are into it, then count ME in!

Kirk Langstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
HLReasby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
Well, if the "cool kids" are into it, then count ME in!
Awesome!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
Man I love that book. Wish my copy looked as good as that pic.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
childeroland
Side-Kick

Soon I Will be Invincible. Not very original, I know, but when you find something you like...

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Is that an original story?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
childeroland
Side-Kick

Yes, it's a parody (a great one) of both Marvel and DC superheroes.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
zanos
Banned User

Are there enough genuine superhero novels for one to pick a favorite?

zanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #12
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Why aren't there more?

Seriously, seems like there is a huge gap in the market.

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
zanos
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Why aren't there more?

Seriously, seems like there is a huge gap in the market.

I think there's a gap because there's no market for these types of books. If people really want to read about superheroes they can just buy a comic.

zanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanos View Post
I think there's a gap because there's no market for these types of books. If people really want to read about superheroes they can just buy a comic.
I dunno if I agree with that. As much as I love comics, there no where near as fullfilling as a novel in terms of really feeling your inside the mind of the protagonist, and I would LOVE to read a novel from a superhero's perspective.

I mean, the few examples i've read have been fantastic for me

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #15
HLReasby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanos View Post
If there was no market for them, they wouldn't be putting out a novel version of Civil War.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
AnneWentBlack
Banned User

the star wars novels are my favorite

AnneWentBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

THe Sinister Six series by Adam Troy Castro. Hands down.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Erm, since I found this thread I just thought I would mention that I have published a superhero novel, The Symbiot Awakening, on Amazon Kindle and as a hard copy and ebook on lulu.com

"The Symbiot Awakening is a furiously paced, action-packed novel for lovers of wild adventure and strong characters! Perpare for an amazing thrill-ride set in a version of modern day Britain where the world suddenly finds itself full of Superpowered humans. The problem is, who will use their powers for good and who will use them for their own ends?
The story starts when Angela Wright is attacked by Verity Hart, the sister she thought long since dead, and is accidentally infected by the Meteor Bug, gaining incredible powers as a result. Tipped headfirst into a world full of danger, Angela finds herself in a desperate struggle against her sister and the Sharapov family to save not only all that is dear to her but the whole country. Confused and barely in control of her powers, her only help comes in the form of Philippe Hunter, the man whose life was destroyed by Verity years ago and who now harbours a deep and lasting hatred towards her... "

If anybody is interested please check it out !

The Strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #19
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
THe Sinister Six series by Adam Troy Castro. Hands down.
I read the last two books from my library and man I loved those books! BEst comic Spider Man novels I have ever read!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast by Peter David.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Lord
All Mighty

I heard It's Superman was a very good book, is it true?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

I have yet to read it but if you do let us know!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #23
ChickenScratch
Banned User

I really loved The Flash - Stop Motion by M Schultz. Around the time it came out there were a whole bunch of JL related novels out.

Stop Motion ruled because unlike in a comic, in a novel the author spent time inside the characters heads. It had so much more depth than a comic. The detail, the feel of speed. There were some truly moving moments reading that book.

Hey, I'm a novel fan. I really do wish there were more of them. I would love to see a Terry Goodkind write a Superman novel (because Richard Cypher/Rahl is very much in the Superman mold). A Tom Clancy Batman? How amazing would that be?

Honorable Mentions

Last Days Of Krypton - Anderson
It's Superman - Dehaven
Last Sons - Grant
Kingdom Come - Maggin (had more stuff in there than the GN)
Enemies and Allies - Anderson

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I heard It's Superman was a very good book, is it true?
It's Superman is amazing. Get it, read it, I highly recommend it.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Karelia
We Are Groot

DC's Last Sons.

Surprisingly, the book is mainly about Lobo. So, if you love Lobo, get this book.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote