The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Default Re: Favorite Superhero Novels?

So lets talk about all the potential here that DC/WB is sitting on and not making use of.

I'm a comic fan, I'm a novel fan. I expect many are. I also expect many who would like to get some sort of entry into the superhero world and don't know where to start. I'm a big fan of series characters in novels (I guess a holdover from when I was a kid reading more individual issues rather than waiting for the graphic novels).

Wouldn't it be cool if DC said they were gonna do a series of Batman novels, serious detective/action/thriller novels with a rotating cast of writers but keeping in the same series. Think James Bond series where Gardner wrote 14, Benson wrote 8, etc. Treat them as real novels not novelties. Get guys who can really write and go for it in a more serious manner.

Imagine a Batman series with it's own continuity. How awesome would the first encounters with villains be? How they are built up, etc? Or I always thought It's Superman was a great jumping off point for a whole series, it set it up so well.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #27
The Strategos
Side-Kick

I just thought that I would mention that if anybody was at all interested in my novel it is now only $1.21 (77p in the UK) on amazon Kindle and well worth a punt if anybody is looking for something a bit different !

Last edited by The Strategos; 07-03-2012 at 08:04 AM.
The Strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
ChickenScratch
Banned User

I don't even have a Kindle. I'm a traditionalist.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
zanos
Banned User

Chickenscratch only reads old scrolls.

zanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

I'm a huge fan of 'The Destroyer'

I really want another movie

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #31
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Gotta love that Remo. Though not really a superhero.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #32
ARandallRussell

As much as I hate self-promotion, someone here might genuinely enjoy this:

http://tinyurl.com/desirevillain

ARandallRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #33
HLReasby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandallRussell View Post
As much as I hate self-promotion, someone here might genuinely enjoy this:

http://tinyurl.com/desirevillain

There's nothing wrong with self-promotion. Most of the time, it's the only sort of promotion an author's gonna get.

HLReasby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #34
ARandallRussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLReasby View Post
There's nothing wrong with self-promotion. Most of the time, it's the only sort of promotion an author's gonna get.
Lol, ain't it the truth.

ARandallRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #35
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I really don't know why comic companies don't expand into prose novels more. With how successful Star Wars has been with having a novel-based universe, you'd think DC and Marvel would be all over trying to capture a new demographic of fans.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #36
ChickenScratch
Banned User

I would kill to read a Batman novel written like those big technothrillers in that Clancy/Ludlum style. 600+ pages, globe spanning story, really in depth in technology and tradecraft.

Sorry, I've recently reread my entire Clancy and Ludlum collection and I just love a big honking action story.

Yes it's a missed opportunity on DC and Marvel's part.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #37
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Batman: The Long Halloween

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #38
ChickenScratch
Banned User

What about The Long Halloween? It's a graphic novel, not a regular novel like this thread is talking about.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #39
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
What about The Long Halloween? It's a graphic novel, not a regular novel like this thread is talking about.
I think you're asking for something which isn't possible. Nobody's gonna buy a 600+page about Batman, Spider-Man, etc. without graphic arts. Who does that? Some few, but I can assure you majority would disagree with the idea of a superhero novel.

Although, I'm open to that idea.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #40
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Disagree with the idea of a superhero novel? So you missed all the entries above about other superhero novels. You cannot disagree with the idea of something that already exists. There are quite a lot truth be told.

The question is, why are there not more. Though recently out are Wayne Of Gotham and Civil War (novel).

And why bring up Long Halloween again? Its a good series, some of us (like myself) are old enough to have gotten them as they were being issued.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #41
ChickenScratch
Banned User

In an effort to keep this topic alive.

I picked up the Dark Knight Rises novelization by Greg Cox last night. There is a lot in the movie I want cleared up and in more detail, which is where novelizations shine. It's written in an omnipotent first person perspective which I like. Cox is a good writer so this far it's not been bad. It's also over 400 pages which I like.

It's the workweek so I can't get through the whole thing in one day. I'm up to the first batcave scene. So far there are some nice details.

-Gordon is now 56.
-Blake has been on the force for a year and only made 12 arrests.
-The scene where Alfred told Bruce to make his bed and get back at it, the scene that follows with the made bed that in the movie implied Bruce making the bed in the novel is interpreted as Alfred as Bruce not having slept.
-Bruce was working on the batcave in the intervening years, only having abandoned it in the past 3 months.
-The batcomputer is built upon 7 Cray Supercomputers that rivals the NSA in computing power

Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #42
VM1138
Side-Kick

I was wondering this the other day. I think this is an untapped market. As people have already said, novels can add so much more depth and would attract a new breed of reader. Of course, I'd rather see them legitimately done by quality authors, which most sci-fi and series writers don't fall into. For one, I would love to see a reinvention of Batman done in novel form, exclusive of the comics, that could really explore some interesting villains and character growth.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #43
ChickenScratch
Banned User

I totally agree with you on all levels. If we look on men's literature nowadays and what sells, it skews towards the airport novel. Clancy, Ludlum, Brown, Child, Deaver, Crichton, Silva are the dudes on top.

Think about it. A Batman novel or series of novels having it's own continuity with nice classy cover art that most wouldn't feel like a total spaz reading (for some people this matters).

I would point people to successful series characters. Bond, Tarzan, Conan, Bourne, Covert One (another Ludlum series still going after his death), Linclon Rhyme, Jack Reacher. You can have a great series of novels that people anxiously wait for if done well.

edit. Here's an article I judst found on the history of media tie in novels. With special focus on the Star Wars and Star Trek novels (which rule). http://io9.com/5411331/untold-advent...-tie+in-novels

Last edited by ChickenScratch; 07-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #44
Maximus One
Oddball

I've been saying this stuff for years. I want every singl fictional universe I love to have an expansive novel universe ala Star Wars EU. I want Avatar The Last Airbender novels, Xmen ones, Superman or Batman or Green Lantern ones. There are just sooooo many untapped demographics out there for stuff like this I honestly can't believe Dc or Marvel haven't given it such a great shot. Sure there are some but not in the way of the SW EU. They have just made that universe so exceedingly expansive and rich and I want to see that with more works of fiction

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #45
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Yeah dude. My sister read the Knightfall novel and the Flash one I mentioned earlier in the thread. Knightfall because she knew from me it was one of the great Batman stories and the Flash one because of the great descriptions of speed and how the speed force works. For some people comics seem impenetrable for one reason or another and just want the whole story not issues. My sister's problem with comics is she says she likes to read or look at pictures and she can't really adjust to doing both ... I can understand this from someone who didnt grow up reading comics. She also doesn't get page layout sometimes when they get all weird with panel placement (if every comic was as simple as The Killing Joke).

I look at the Star Trek and Star Wars EU novels (but mostly the SW). Good authors, telling good stories within the universe in digestible novels that even a non fan can read and get into. Characters, rules, continuity all explained, a novel isnt a big jump for a new reader to the superhero genre.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #46
ComicBookRehab

One of the strange things about superhero prose novels is that they'll try to describe in several pages what would happen in one panel on a comic book page. Hopping from one rooftop to another never seemed like hard work!

And yet...the forerunner to superhero comic books - The Shadow, Zorro, Doc Savage, Fu Manchu - they were prose novels.

Maybe this has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of writers have to meet a word count quota and that creates pacing issues.

ComicBookRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #47
The Strategos
Side-Kick

I never found that, I wrote mine at a lightning pace!

The Strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #48
HLReasby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookRehab View Post
One of the strange things about superhero prose novels is that they'll try to describe in several pages what would happen in one panel on a comic book page. Hopping from one rooftop to another never seemed like hard work!

And yet...the forerunner to superhero comic books - The Shadow, Zorro, Doc Savage, Fu Manchu - they were prose novels.

Maybe this has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of writers have to meet a word count quota and that creates pacing issues.
Eh, maybe, but there's also the possibility that some people are just wordier writers than others... or they might get a wild hair to show off their store of SAT words.

One notable example for me is when I read the novelization of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen by Alan Dean Foster (arguably one of the top sci-fi writers). Let's be honest, there was very little worthwhile in the book and it was downright painful to read at times. In particular, the scene where Bumblebee blows a hole in the side of the Witwicky garage to come to the family's rescue.

I kid you not, I had to read and reread the passage no fewer than four times before I confirmed that this BLOCK of $5 words was telling me that there was now a hole in the wall of the garage.

HLReasby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #49
Webley
Side-Kick

Has Stan Lee ever put out a novel?

Webley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #50
Lord
All Mighty

Probably an autobiography

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote