The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #151
Eddie
Side-Kick

Default Re: Guy Pearce is Aldrich Killian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
It's a deleted scene, isn't it? Was that in the movie?
It's in the film proper. The guy that gives Vanko what he needs to get to Monaco is intended to be an operative. This is confirmed in the commentary track.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #152
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
No, it's a featurette. where they explain different scenes
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
If I recall right they may only be identified as such in a deleted scene (and possibly the credits), but that's what they are intended to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
It's in the film proper. The guy that gives Vanko what he needs to get to Monaco is intended to be an operative. This is confirmed in the commentary track.
Alright, I'm getting a little confused...

Is there anything in the film, not deleted scenes or featurettes, that makes it clear that, quote "There are Ten Rings members in IM2"?

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #153
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

If they move forward with MoE in Avengers 2, I'd very much like Mandarin (Killian) back. They never made it clear he was dead, especially since the final blow's explosion was just as big as the one from blowing the Mk 42. I'd like to hear more backstory on him and his possible connection to the Ten Rings. Not to mention, those craving magic space rings could certainly find a way to work it in there, not that I care whether they do or not.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #154
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:

Is there anything in the film, not deleted scenes or featurettes, that makes it clear that, quote "There are Ten Rings members in IM2"?
Oh just disregard my one. I did say "if I recall right", which I clearly didn't lol. In the film itself it won't spell it out, but there are features like the commentary which will point out the Ten Rings member in IM2. So it was there, just not as an overt presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
If they move forward with MoE in Avengers 2, I'd very much like Mandarin (Killian) back. They never made it clear he was dead, especially since the final blow's explosion was just as big as the one from blowing the Mk 42. I'd like to hear more backstory on him and his possible connection to the Ten Rings. Not to mention, those craving magic space rings could certainly find a way to work it in there, not that I care whether they do or not.
I don't know. Pearce doesn't seem like he'd jump at the chance to return. If the story was right and he was willing, then I would like to see him do so.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #155
Eddie
Side-Kick

Quote:

I can't remember if the guy that gave Vanko the falsified paperwork to get to Monaco had any distinguishing characteristics in the film that immediately identify him as a Ten Rings operative, but he is intended to be one. He's the shady guy that Vanko meets up with prior to the race in Monaco. I think Favreau mentions the connection in the commentary track around that point in the film.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #156
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:

No, there isn't. Not a thing. The audience watching IM2 would have no clue that guy had anything to do with the Ten Rings.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #157
Eddie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
No, there isn't. Not a thing. The audience watching IM2 would have no clue that guy had anything to do with the Ten Rings.
To be fair, the audience watching Iron Man 2 would have no idea that Mickey Rourke was playing Whiplash. He isn't referred to as such and is credited as Ivan Vanko. It doesn't change the fact that he was intended to be Whiplash.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #158
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
To be fair, the audience watching Iron Man 2 would have no idea that Mickey Rourke was playing Whiplash. He isn't referred to as such and is credited as Ivan Vanko. It doesn't change the fact that he was intended to be Whiplash.
That's different. That's just a comic book alias. We're talking about in this movie universe you would have no idea that guy who met with Vanko was affiliated with the terrorist organization from IM1.

- The Joker
Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #159
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Well, I don't think a deleted scene or a featurette should be required to understand plot points or even small stuff like that, so if it's not made clear in the film itself, it's vague. Saying "There are 10 Ring members in IM2" is a moot point.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #160
Eddie
Side-Kick

It stands to reason that the shady guy helping Vanko get revenge on Stark would also be somebody who wanted revenge on Stark.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #161
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
That's different. That's just a comic book alias. We're talking about in this movie universe you would have no idea that guy who met with Vanko was affiliated with the terrorist organization from IM1.
Because it's not important to the overall plot. It's an easter egg of sorts that points to Mandarin. It doesn't matter if you want to acknowledge it or not, it was there.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #162
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Does that ultimately matter in the long run? The Dark Knight Trilogy was bookended and unified by themes, characters, and organizations introduced in Batman Begins but weren't overtly present in The Dark Knight.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #163
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ Does that ultimately matter in the long run? The Dark Knight Trilogy was bookended and unified by themes, characters, and organizations introduced in Batman Begins, but weren't overtly present in The Dark Knight.
Not really, no. It fills in a bit of the history, but largely just a bit of backstory.

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Well, I don't think a deleted scene or a featurette should be required to understand plot points or even small stuff like that, so if it's not made clear in the film itself, it's vague. Saying "There are 10 Ring members in IM2" is a moot point.
Not if you're trying to say the IM1 Ten Rings members that were all killed were the only members of the group.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #164
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
It stands to reason that the shady guy helping Vanko get revenge on Stark would also be somebody who wanted revenge on Stark.
Why do you say that? The guy could have just been well paid to get Vanko a phony passport and a Monaco ticket. That's how the movie presented it.

Quote:
Because it's not important to the overall plot. It's an easter egg of sorts that points to Mandarin. It doesn't matter if you want to acknowledge it or not, it was there.
It wasn't there. Not visually or verbally. You have to be told by the director on the special features.

Quote:
Does that ultimately matter in the long run? The Dark Knight Trilogy was bookended and unified by themes, characters, and organizations introduced in Batman Begins but weren't overtly present in The Dark Knight.
What are you talking about? Nothing presented in the TDK trilogy needed to be pointed out on the special features like this. Everything can easily be identified visually or verbally. You don't need to find out that a random character who appeared for 5 seconds had something to do with villains from the first movie because otherwise you would have no clue about that watching the scene.

- The Joker
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #165
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ TDKR is, for all intents and purposes, a direct sequel - thematically and in terms of character usage - to Batman Begins despite being the third film in the trilogy and following on from The Dark Knight, which was largely devoid of the thematic and character usage elements that are featured in TDKR and that are a direct callback to BB, but that doesn't make TDKR any less of a sequel to TDK even though it features a much more heavy emphasis on character usage and thematic elements that were last seen in BB.

Even though the Ten Rings presence in IM2 might largely go unnoticed, I don't think it matters in the long run because, noticeable in IM2 proper or not, one of the points of the IM Trilogy is that the Ten Rings, and, by extension, Killian, is a recurring antagonist force in Tony's life in one form or or another.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #166
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
It wasn't there. Not visually or verbally. You have to be told by the director on the special features.
You chose not to acknowledge it. That's fine if that's your personal interpretation, but the director has said differently. You can say "it doesn't count" all you like, but I'd rather take the word of the director over some random guy on a message board.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #167
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
^ TDKR is, for all intents and purposes, a direct sequel - thematically and in terms of character usage - to Batman Begins despite being the third film in the trilogy and following on from The Dark Knight, which was largely devoid of the thematic and character usage elements that are featured in TDKR and that are a direct callback to BB, but that doesn't make TDKR any less of a sequel to TDK even though it features a much more heavy emphasis on character usage and thematic elements that were last seen in BB.
Apples and oranges. The Ten Rings were not mentioned AT ALL in Iron Man 3. Only their symbol was. There no verbal reference to these guys being the ones involved in what happened with Tony in IM1, or working with Stane etc.

Not a whisper. Whereas TDKR talks heavily about it's link to the villain of Batman Begins, Ra's Al Ghul. It also talks heavily about Harvey Dent, and all the repercussions because of him and what Joker did to him, the cover up etc weigh heavily on TDKR, too.

That's why TDKR is better. It feels like a real trilogy because it takes a lot of things from both previous movies and ties them together as one complete story. It doesn't rely on Chris Nolan telling us something we should know just by watching the movie on a special feature.

Quote:
Even though the Ten Rings presence in IM2 might largely go unnoticed, I don't think it matters in the long run because, noticeable in IM2 proper or not, one of the points of the IM Trilogy is that the Ten Rings, and, by extension, Killian, is a recurring antagonist force in Tony's life in one form or or another.
But that's just it, it's not a running theme in the trilogy because nobody would have a clue they were in IM2. A theme is noticeable. In this case it's not.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 05-07-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #168
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
You chose not to acknowledge it.
I chose to acknowledge it the way the movie presented it. It didn't present someone who was affiliated with the Ten Rings. Unless you can show me a screencap or quote me a line from the movie that shows otherwise.

Quote:
That's fine if that's your personal interpretation, but the director has said differently. You can say "it doesn't count" all you like, but I'd rather take the word of the director over some random guy on a message board.
To quote you, that's fine if that's your personal interpretation of it.

- The Joker
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #169
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Nevermind. This is just going in circles. I'm just repeating myself at this point.

Last edited by The Infernal; 05-07-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #170
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
That's fine if that's what you chose to believe. But it's different thing when you try to pass that off as fact to others.
What I am saying is a fact. Nobody would have a clue that guy who met with Vanko is a Ten Rings member. How could they? There is no indications to it at all.

I never denied Favreau said it on the special features. That's the problem. If he had not said it then nobody would have a clue. Ergo the movie never presented it that way so how were the audience expected to connect the dots?

- The Joker
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #171
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Read above post. I stopped caring. If you're dead set on still having this argument, just read my previous posts to yourself at your leisure.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #172
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

You're too kind

- The Joker
Old 05-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #173
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

Can we talk about how a running theme in the Nolan films is that Bruce Wayne is the worlds worst detective, now?

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #174
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoker View Post
Can we talk about how a running theme in the Nolan films is that Bruce Wayne is the worlds worst detective, now?
Ok, that one I never got. He did some CSI nonsense in TDK, but when IM3 does something similar people praise it.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #175
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

To be fair, the crime scene resconstruction in Iron Man 3 made sense. Even after a dozen viewings, I still have no damn idea how Wayne acquired fingerprints from a computer manipulation of a hole in a wall. And I like The Dark Knight; it is just that that scene gives me a headache,the same way the chase scenes does for some people.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote