2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #101
Clu
End of Line, Man.

Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 1

escape from LA wasnt all that bad. only real big downside is snake learning how to surf via being told, just jump on the board when the wave is very high.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #102
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

It was that bad. It was one of the few movies I couldn't get all the way through. And I was a kid when I saw it, so my standards weren't high at all back then. It was just terrible from start to finish. It was trying so hard to be a clever satire, but it felt more like a cheap, direct-to-video movie.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #103
Jheri Curl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
When someone like Russell, a guy trained in the old-school generation to show up on time, know your lines and not cause trouble for the director/producers/crew, walks off your set... something's off. No amount of spin can make that positive.

This ain't been a smooth production, I can tell ya that.
Eh, unless you can offer a less vague commentary, I have strong doubts about the veracity of that statement.

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/view...t=2320#p397783

Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #104
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

Despite what the public will say this will still most likely be a very good film and rank up there with Pulp Fiction and Resevior Dogs as Tarantino's best films.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #105
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Inglourious Basterds was WAAYY better than Resevoir Dogs. Hell, it might be better than Pulp Fiction.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #106
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

IB was good but not that good to be better than Resevior Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #107
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Fiction
Basterds
Dogs

Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #108
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Basterds feels more refined than Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction has a couple scenes that could be taken out. Namely Butch and his girlfriend. Basterds is pure meat from start to finish.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #109
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

I put Pulp Ficiton at the top because I think Tarantino must have had a harder job directing it for having three different stories out of order combined into one big Leone tribute.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #110
Clu
End of Line, Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Basterds feels more refined than Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction has a couple scenes that could be taken out. Namely Butch and his girlfriend. Basterds is pure meat from start to finish.
that scene is terrible. completely brings down the whole film. I skip it all the time. butch and his gf....so bad

Old 05-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #111
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Fiction and Basterds are my two absolute Tarantino-favorites and I don't dislike any film he has directed.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #112
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

I did not mind the Butch storyline. It was not bad at all with him killing Travolta and him saving Ving Rhames character from getting raped.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #113
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Thompson View Post
I did not mind the Butch storyline. It was not bad at all with him killing Travolta and him saving Ving Rhames character from getting raped.
The Butch storyline was great in those aspects, as well with the whole boxing match "dilemma". The pawn shop scenes w/Rhames, "bring out the gimp" etc, are classic. But Tarantino could've made the scenes with the gf shorter and better.

- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #114
Jheri Curl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
Fiction and Basterds are my two absolute Tarantino-favorites and I don't dislike any film he has directed.
Same, and I'll go so far as to say Tarantino is the only director who hasn't made a movie I don't like (and that goes for a genius like Lynch who I admire even more than Tarantino). There are films by Kubrick, Hitchcock, Malick, Lynch, Scorsese, Spielberg, Welles, Kurosawa, Ozu, Fellini, Allen, Polanski, PTA, etc. that I actively dislike or even despise, but Tarantino has a godly consistency of greatness that will be unmatched for some time. Hopefully Django won't break the streak.

P.S. I like Death Proof quite a bit, despite my patience being tried briefly during one of the middle sections.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #115
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Tarantino is always gonna be an acquired taste. Nobody "just kinda likes" his stuff, they either gush about it or they spit vitriol all over it. He's polarizing, I give him that.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #116
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
Agreed.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #117
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheri Curl View Post
Same, and I'll go so far as to say Tarantino is the only director who hasn't made a movie I don't like (and that goes for a genius like Lynch who I admire even more than Tarantino). There are films by Kubrick, Hitchcock, Malick, Lynch, Scorsese, Spielberg, Welles, Kurosawa, Ozu, Fellini, Allen, Polanski, PTA, etc. that I actively dislike or even despise, but Tarantino has a godly consistency of greatness that will be unmatched for some time. Hopefully Django won't break the streak.

P.S. I like Death Proof quite a bit, despite my patience being tried briefly during one of the middle sections.
Its nice to know you put Tarantino in those great directors class as he deserves it.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #118
AllyBabble
Banned User

Quote:
Inglourious Basterds was WAAYY better than Resevoir Dogs. Hell, it might be better than Pulp Fiction.
Quote:
Dogs has more 'meat' on it than IB. Kietel, Buscemi, Roth, Penn, Madsen and Tierney are all solid fleshed out characters, as opposed to IB, which only has the woman and the head nazi feeling as real and developed as those characters. The basterds themselves have only one character who has any decent amount of time spent on him, the rest are cartoonish ciphers, and Aldo is a bit of a cartoon himself.

As for the lovey dovey pot bellied pig scene in Pulp, that was genius. Butch's flake out would not have worked half as well without that scene contrasting it. The pot bellied pig scene also worked because it felt like how a real indulgent lovey scene would go down between two people besotted with each other, as well as establishing the gf as a bit of scatterbrained eccentric dreamer, that might annoy you, but that was what he loved about her, she was absolutely nothing like the dangerous types he had to associate himself with in his dodgy dealings, but it was those characteristics that also contributed to her forgetting the all important watch.
Everything that was needed to make the dramatic dynamic of that sequence work was in that scene, you take that out or change it, the rest does not work as well at all. I have no idea how you could make it different but work as well.

Last edited by AllyBabble; 05-17-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #119
Assassin32
King James Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheri Curl View Post

Which Paul Thomas Anderson movie don't you like?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #120
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin32 View Post
There Will Be Blood. That had NOTHING to do with Saw!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #121
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Why does everyone forget Jackie Brown? It is probably Tarantino's best. Flipping Max Cherry.

I don't understand it. Beautifully written, shot and edited. It is his sharpest, tightest film and every last bit of it works. It is only missing the complete unpredictability of Pulp Fiction. Basterds comes off really "talky" in comparison, because of just how good the dialogue and performances are in Jackie Brown.

Pulp Fiction has some of the most memorable scenes in cinema history. Basterds has some really intense scenes, The opening, which is near perfect, Shosanna seeing Hans again for the first time and the basement bar scene. But the rest of the film doesn't really match. Not in the same way Pulp Fiction just keeps hitting you with brilliance time and again.

1. Pulp Fiction
1A. Jackie Brown
3. Kill Bill vol. 1
4. Kill Bill vol. 2
5. Basterds
6. Death Proof
7. Dogs

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-17-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #122
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

I think Jackie Brown is his "least good". It's problem (if you want to call it that) is that there's nothing memorable about it, especially compared to his other works; not a whole lot of violence and no stand out, talked about scenes.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #123
Jheri Curl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin32 View Post
Magnolia I don't like at all. It does have some remarkable scenes, but it's a complete mess, and in my opinion not a good movie. Also, while I admire aspects of TWBB, it has serious focus and narrative pacing issues that really detract from its quality, so while I do like it, it doesn't get full marks from me, much less "Best of the Decade" plaudits like No Country or Mulholland Dr. or The New World or something. I think Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love are PTA's only fully successful films. Hard Eight/Sydney is okay, but I'm very indifferent toward it.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #124
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I think Jackie Brown is his "least good". It's problem (if you want to call it that) is that there's nothing memorable about it, especially compared to his other works; not a whole lot of violence and no stand out, talked about scenes.
"You shot Melanie?" I mean come on.

The film transitions so brilliantly, that it is less incredible scenes and just one incredible movie. Still, the movie has plenty of memorable scenes, and arguably Tarantino's best (the bail scene). Every scene with Jackie, Ordell, Ray and Cherry, which is pretty much the entire movie, is fire.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #125
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

I'll say I scene I really like is when Louis shoots Melanie. De Niro and Keaton are great to watch.