The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Where does Punisher: War Zone rank to you now?
Superb 1 4.35%
Good 7 30.43%
Mediocre 5 21.74%
Terrible 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
Hulk-1700
Flawless

Default Punisher: War Zone - Your consensus 7 years later?

Watching this now for the third time in the last few weeks. I actually like it...when I saw it opening day I liked it and then for a long time I hated it (I don't know why).

But now that I've revisited it, I like it more than I ever have before. It's not better than the 2004 entry but it's pretty good on its own. It just doesn't tap into the emotional depth of the 2004 movie & has dialogue that's much more cheesy but it still kinda works. The action, however, is better & more of whatI expect from Punisher in live action.

Part of me still wishes a sequel could've been made.

What do you all think?

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:24 AM   #2
BatsDC
Avocados At Law

Default Re: Punisher: War Zone - Your consensus 7 years later?

For what it is, it isn't a bad movie. But there would certainly be better ways of adapting a Punisher story. The action is easily the highlight.

I'd like a Netflix show that captures the style of this movie but the darkness and drama of the Daredevil show. That would be a great show.

Dylan O'Brien for Spider-Man, Jason Isaacs for Norman Osborn, Emily Blunt for Captain Marvel, Jake Gyllenhaal for Black Bolt
BatsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Mediocre. Can't hold a candle to the 2004 version.

Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
starscream22
Revert back2Marvel!

LOL I've never even seen this film.

Eventually I tried looking for it but they don't even air it on FX, TNT or TBS like other CBM's. I haven't spotted it on Amazon Prime or Netflix either. And since I'm not about to buy or rent it (not even in a clearance bin at Walmart on Black Friday) I've simply chalked it up to "who cares"?

4stic will likely get a similar if not worse fate.

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream22 View Post
LOL I've never even seen this film.

Eventually I tried looking for it but they don't even air it on FX, TNT or TBS like other CBM's. I haven't spotted it on Amazon Prime or Netflix either. And since I'm not about to buy or rent it (not even in a clearance bin at Walmart on Black Friday) I've simply chalked it up to "who cares"?

4stic will likely get a similar if not worse fate.
Trust me, you're not missing anything.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Venom 1988
formerly Ultimate_Venom

Honestly neither Punisher movie has been great for me. I feel like there's things that the 04 movie got wrong, this movie got right. But there's things this movie got wrong that the 04 movie did get right lol. I dunno take the good from each one and you got the perfect Punisher movie.

But I agree, give him the Netflix treatment.

Best Batman Movie News Site Ever. Don't let a specific Texan fool ya!
http://batman-news.com/
Venom 1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I want to see this film because CBM nerds hate it but film snobs and many experts love it, I want to see what the controversy is about, why there's such a bipolar response.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Hulk-1700
Flawless

I didn't ever really see it as a "split down the middle" kind of thing. Most just hate the film.

And idk...I kind of just want a completely correct Punisher movie as opposed to a Netflix series. But either could work, I suppose.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Random490
Side-Kick

I recall flipping through channels and catching a scene, I'm guessing at the end, between Castle and Jigsaw and it was just so stupid I just switch the channel and have no intention to ever watch it.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I want to see this film because CBM nerds hate it but film snobs and many experts love it, I want to see what the controversy is about, why there's such a bipolar response.
Bipolar? I haven't met many people who loved this movie. It's just not well made.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
Random490
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
Bipolar? I haven't met many people who loved this movie. It's just not well made.
From Wikipedia

Quote:
Critical reception

Punisher: War Zone received generally negative reviews from film critics. The film has a rating of 27% based on 101 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 with the consensus "War Zone recalls the excessively violent, dialogue-challenged actioners of the 1980s, and coincidentally feels two decades out of date."[46] Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times awarded the film 2 out of 4 stars, writing, "You used to be able to depend on a terrible film being poorly made. No longer. The Punisher: War Zone is one of the best-made bad movies I've seen." And that the film's only flaw is "that it's disgusting."[47] Clark Collis writes that Ray Stevenson's "character could be called the Not-Much-of-a-Learning Curveinator."[48] Frank Dasta of RobotBoombox.com gave the movie 0 out of 5 stars, stating "May God have mercy on this film's soul. Punisher: Warzone is bland, uninspired, and it missed the point of the source material entirely. It's like these people have never even read a proper Punisher comic."[49]

Felix Vasquez of Cinema Crazed, who loved the previous film version, gave Punisher: War Zone a positive review, claiming "War Zone is a better film."[50] Edward Porter of the UK The Sunday Times gave the film 3 out of 5 stars, writing, "Earning an 18 certificate with its violence, the film is kids’ stuff in all other respects: over-the-top shootouts, monstrous and barking-mad villains, a bumbling sidekick and so on. Highly enjoyable tosh."[51] Victor Olliver of Teletext wrote, "This is as true to a Marvel comic tale as I've ever seen - gory, serious, intense, dark and utterly psychotic."[52] Movie reporter Peter Hartlaub of the San Francisco Chronicle gave the film a positive review, writing that it is the "best Punisher movie by far. The action is satisfying and the dark story is close to the tone of its Marvel Comics source material."[53]

Despite negative reviews from critics, Punisher: War Zone managed to develop a Cult following. Comedian Patton Oswalt has been a vocal supporter of the film since its release, calling it "THE BEST time I've had at the movies this year."[54] In October 2011, Oswalt hosted a screening of the film in Los Angeles with director Lexi Alexander, and the two discussed the film in episode 20 of Paul Scheer's podcast How Did This Get Made?[55]

In later years, director Alexander stressed how much the film's parent studio Lionsgate had more control over the film and has "regretted" making the film their way, stating, "Marvel was an equal partner, but unfortunately when there were creative decision conflicts, Marvel would let Lionsgate be the tie breaker. I always regretted that I made a Marvel movie this way, because 99% of their notes were much better than the studios and I was more in tune with them". Alexander also noted that she did not have final cut of the film.[56]
So apparently there are people who like, but this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Random490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
TX85
Feeling Batty

Stevenson did great as Frank Castle and the best he could with what he had to work with like Tom Jane did,The action was good,Film was dark&gritty as should be and the story was alright..But the villains were horribly done and some of the gore was too old school cheesy like when Castle literally punches a guy's face in.

The production quality was so damn cheap too for a theraticlal film

TX85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I preferred Tom Jane to Ray Stevenson myself, neither got a good movie. I'd probably say I preferred the Jane movie aswell but neither were any good. Tbh I can't help feeling that the Punisher would be better suited to a series like the Daredevil series.

As this is a topic purely for War Zone though. It was really really bad, I got what they were trying to do, make it more like a comic book. It just didn't work, it came across like it was trying to mix a serious thriller with the ridiculousness of Dick Tracey.

THE DC TV UNIVERSE
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #14
GENERAL RAAM582
The Force Awakens

I liked War Zone more than the 2004 flick. WZ was a really fun to watch shoot-em-up movie with great gunplay, gore, and a wacky main villain. It's a fun, stupid movie to watch with your brain turned off. 7.0/10

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #15
Spider-Fan
SHHFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

My consensus is this was one of the 5 worst CBMs in history. Just utter garbage.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

I recommend ya'll listen to the HDTGM podcast with director Lexi Alexander and Patton Oswalt, it is great listen regardless if you hate the film.

Get your Capital One card now!
Here
Samuel Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #17
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Film Critic Hulk loved this movie and he's possibly the top CBM critic out there in terms of quality of insights.

The movie is also well liked by the posters on the dissolve, which is a high level film discussion site. It is the only film site ive seen where the discussion is so advanced that i have trouble following. So i take their word as having more merit.

For me this implies PWZ probably has gems to it the masses cannot see. I don't know if i'd be able to get it.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #18
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
My consensus...
Not sure if you made a typo, but that phrasing implies you have multiple personalities disorder.

A consensus, by ddefinition, is never personal :-)

Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #19
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #20
TX85
Feeling Batty

After 3 failed films,I don't think a big film studio will try again and if they do then they still probably won't get it right unless they take the source material very serious and get inspired by other films like Dredd or John Wick.

So I agree it'd be better if he got a TV series like Daredevil,A MCU Netflix show like that one would be a great bonus !

TX85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:09 AM   #21
Hulk-1700
Flawless

Quote:
Not sure if you made a typo, but that phrasing implies you have multiple personalities disorder.

A consensus, by ddefinition, is never personal :-)
Um....what?

And I think PWZ, at the very least, had a better/more interesting villain. Sure, Jigsaw was a little over-the-top but he had personality.

Both villains deserved a better send off, though. Jigsaw getting his ass utterly handed to him was painful to watch. I get that the Punisher is a badass, but he shouldn't have been able to so easily defeat them in the final fight for both films.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #22
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Film Critic Hulk loved this movie and he's possibly the top CBM critic out there in terms of quality of insights.

The movie is also well liked by the posters on the dissolve, which is a high level film discussion site. It is the only film site ive seen where the discussion is so advanced that i have trouble following. So i take their word as having more merit.

For me this implies PWZ probably has gems to it the masses cannot see. I don't know if i'd be able to get it.
Are you serious? Advanced discussion about this movie? It's a below average action flick with a villain so goofy that it's almost a parody.

I suggest you watch it yourself. It's only 1h40m long.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #23
DarKush
Side-Kick

I thought Ray Stevenson was near perfect casting for Frank Castle. Wayne Knight was also a great choice for Microchip. I also liked that they had Jigsaw in the film, but they turned him into a hammy low-rent 1989 Joker. Looney Bin Jim was a joke. I was expecting this monster of a guy when they first mentioned him but that's not what we got.

There was barely a story there. Julie Benz was wasted. The movie did have over-the-top violence. Some of it worked, but it didn't cover up the other weaknesses in the film.

I look at it as a missed opportunity. If only they could combine the best parts of the Jane and Stevenson movies and then you would have an awesome Punisher film.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:36 AM   #24
Rowsdower!
My name is Max

Easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Stevenson is pretty good, but he's not enough to overcome the stupidity and horrible acting all around him.

And before someone throws in a "You mustn't watch a lot of bad movies, then", I would point out that I've seen Manos: The Hands of Fate, Space Mutiny, Cave Dwellers, The Final Sacrifice, Catman in Lethal Track and Boxer's Blow, Squirm, Silent Night Deadly Night 2, Boggy Creek 2, Soultaker, Quest of the Delta Knights, The Divide, Merlin's Shop of Magical Wonders, Garbage Pail Kids, The Avengers (1998), LXG, The Quest, and Despite All My Rage I Am Still Just Nicolas Cage.

Bootleg Batman Begins: "Bruce found a basement under his villa, in which the equipments turn him into another person: Spiderman. With this mask, Spiderman stroke all criminal activates and criminals everywhere, such as Tougon, the chief of Mafia, Doctor Jackstraw, the abnormal drug trafficker, even a mysterious opponent familiar with him———”
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:13 AM   #25
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

It isn't a good movie, there's not much to it.