The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 04-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
samsnee
Side-Kick

Default Should Marvel take a break?

There's no question Marvel is the king of superhero movies right now. They make consistently entertaining movies. They're expanding into the TV world.

However, the next few years, we are going to see an even larger number of CBM movies with DC and Fox increasing their outputs. I'm not going to use the word "fatigue" word, but would it benefit Marvel to take a year off from the movies?

Part of me thinks that they are at such an accelerated pace now, there won't be much newness in terms of story in another 5 years. I think a good model to look at is Pixar. They too were the king for a few years. Then they made a few less than well received sequels. They took a couple of years off, and now everyone's excited they have a new product coming out again. It might benefit Marvel to do the same in the long run.

samsnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should Marvel take a break?

No. */end thread*

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Infinight888
Side-Kick

You mean should they take a break and let their competitors build up momentum? Absolutely not. Especially since a big part of Agents of SHIELD are the movie tie-ins.

Also, the Pixar situation is entirely different.

Infinight888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
Spiderine
Sho nuff

Are you serious? They are in the mist of the peak of their popularity right now and demand for Marvel films are high. You have to feed the audience while its hot. There is no telling where the genre will be come 2020. I think the novelty of these films will start to where off about then.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

If they did I'd have very little to watch for a year so no, I'd rather they didn't. They are carrying like 85% of the load for what I watch in a given year. Without them I'd have GoT and not much else.

Current comic book TV show grades(ones that I watch, at least): Agents of Shield-[season 1: B-][season 2: B+]\The Flash-[season 1: B+/A-]\Arrow-[season 1: B+][season 2: B][season 3: C]\Agent Carter-[season 1: A-]\Daredevil-[season 1: A+]\iZombie-[season 1: A-]
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #6
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
No. */end thread*
This.

And they're not going to stop.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
wampa1
Side-Kick

I imagine post Infinity War, things will slow down but I can't see them taking any kind of break any time soon.

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

Maybe in 2020 after Inhumans. Then return in 2021 with solo films for She Hulk, Spider-Woman and Namor and then assemble them for Avenger5.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #9
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

I think Marvel creates film output at a stable pace.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
Typhoon22
Side-Kick

Silly thread.

No they shouldn't take a break because they are, for better or worse, the best thing there is in terms of comic book movies.

However I hope they improve. AOU proved the need for this. It's time for them to evolve into other territories.

Typhoon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
RiXi
Side-Kick

RiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
samsnee
Side-Kick

My concern is just are they burning themselves out too quickly. I get wanting to churn these out while the actors are still young, but I do get a feeling this could all collapse under its own weight. If you watch some of the press conferences where it's the entire cast along Whedon and Feige, you get the sense even of some of them are getting tired of keeping track of all the connectedness of it.

samsnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
The Apocalypse
Pokeballin'

No. Marvel is on such a roll right now. Almost everything they've put out has been gold. Maybe some fans don't like it here and there but everything is pulling in big bucks. You don't stop.

The Apocalypse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
Lord
All Mighty

Well, if their profits and reception start to drop a bit, i think they should try only releasing a film in one of these years. Considering all the resources they have at the moment, i would like to see them try planning some big project, and give it a lot fo time in order to get something truly impressive. It should probably be a new property like Guardians of the Galaxy was, and a project that would be able to bring in new viewers that weren't already loyal fans. This way, if the MCU films start dropping in popularity, that film could give a boost.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
Victarion
Cut

Clearly its toppling down. The critical review boards are seething. Two years ago none would believe. Whedon was a sleeper agent for Nolan this whole time.

No OP. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. By your logic the MCU should've grinded to a halt with the coming of CBMs like Wolverine: Origins and other bad CBMs that came before that.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?" - Stannis Baratheon
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
Solaire
Side-Kick

Lol No. Their worst movie is still good. They haven't made a movie like Green Lantern or Ghost Rider 2. No need to take a break when you're producing quality movies that people go out to see. The huge majority love AoU, i hope they don't slow down.

Solaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #17
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

samsnee: secretly a warner bros exec.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #18
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Are you asking a corporation to stop making money?

A God has to ascend to heaven eventually.
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #19
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Heck no! Marvel is actually doing it the smart way. They are not just settling for guys in tights. They are really diversifying their movies. Right now it's heroes and cosmic but the next phase is going to be magic. I'm not even sure you can really count Guardians of the Galaxy as a superhero thing other than it's based off of a comic book. Same as the Inhumans.......same as Dr. Strange.....same as Blade......you get the drift. I really think Fox should take a break because Xmen(after Apocalypse) has really reached it's peak. After that film, I don't know where they could possibly go.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #20
MessiahDecoy123
Boo Radley cliche

There is high demand for Marvel movies.

That's why Disney is increasing output.

The last 5 Marvel Studios movies each made over 640 million. Half of those were from B-list or C-list characters.

Disney pretty much has a money printing press. And you think they're going to slow down?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #21
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

People lose interest when movies suck. As long as Marvel movies don't suck, they'll be fine. After all, it's not like people stop seeing movies, they'll just see other movies. Now I'll admit that it might be a relief for them to take a break or cut back because I'd be more likely to see a competitor's movie, but I don't know why that's in Marvel's interest. I've seen no evidence that there would be a burnout.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #22
Doc Ock
The Spider-Totem Awakens

Marvel's on a roll, the should only take a break when things stop working out.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #23
Victarion
Cut

I just emailed Feige a link to this thread.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?" - Stannis Baratheon
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #24
Sian
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
People lose interest when movies suck. As long as Marvel movies don't suck, they'll be fine. After all, it's not like people stop seeing movies, they'll just see other movies. Now I'll admit that it might be a relief for them to take a break or cut back because I'd be more likely to see a competitor's movie, but I don't know why that's in Marvel's interest. I've seen no evidence that there would be a burnout.
This.
But if there's one thing Marvel should seriously rethink it's the romantic subplots. They suck. I thought Thor/Jane was bad but Age of Ultron....dear God, I nearly barfed in my popcorn.

Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #25
mocomic
Philistian by choice

If anything they need to kick it up

mocomic is offline   Reply With Quote