The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 02-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
BrollySupersj
attack speed

Default Anyone miss secret identities?

Not that the Marvel movies suffer from it, but does anyone kinda miss the element of secret identities among the heroes of the movies? Like Iron Man for example.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
wampa1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anyone miss secret identities?

Nope. If anything, secret identities used to bug me.

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Nope. It works for certain characters (ex. Spider-Man, Daredevil), but more public characters like the Avengers, Fantastic Four, etc. work better without them. I always disliked the whole Iron Man is Tony Stark's bodyguard stuff. Same with Donald Blake, etc.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
smallville fan
Hero

Nope not at all. Because I think people by now realize if you mess with someone for knowing a secret identity, there are consequences as seen here in a scene from The Dark Knight:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I guess you also need to consider the medium, for comics and their audiences it's fine but for movies, you gotta try something else.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Oscorp
Shock therapist

I haven't missed it. But we'll get it now with Spider-Man and Daredevil.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Honestly yes, I do miss them. But at the same time they probably would make an already extremely complex mythology like the MCU even more complex if these guys had to keep worrying about their secret identities. I guess I don't mind them being gone, I just wish they had stuck around longer before going away.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
BrollySupersj
attack speed

I know I miss them, it's a classic superhero trait, the stakes are always high when enemies are always trying to figure it out. But ya know there is always the comics, and other superheroes.

I think I would have preferred the body guard idea in the Iron Man movies. Probably could have made for some funny scenes.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Blackman
C'mon Son

I dont miss them in the MCU. Actually it does make sense that most these heroes that have been introduced don't have secret identities. In fact does it make sense for Cap to wear a mask, even if it is his helmet? I mean he has a whole museum section that shows his face...
Also one thing that bugs me, Widow and Hawkeye are supposed to be these world class spies but there faces are pretty well known after The Battle of New York...kinda makes them s***y spies right?

Anyway
Daredevil, Iron Fist, Spider-Man, etc. should have secret identities.

I do like secret identities. DC should definetly have them. Marvel is fine with limiting them

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
CyclopsWasRight
Taking a break, Holiday.

I do.

That seperation of characters into two adds good contrast. You've got the badass hero and the regular guy.

You can relate to the regular guy and admire and aspire to the hero. But when it's just the hero you can't relate to them as much.

All heroes don't need them but some benefit much better from them

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine X-Men Days of Future Past Guardians of the Galaxy
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
Victarion
Cut

Not unless it is used to make your hero come across as bipolar.

"..the mere intimation that there might be more to a heroic narrative than the heroes are the Good Guys, the villains are Bad Guys and the heroes should Win a rousing Victory appears to be in itself such an offensive contention that it arouses a kind of defensive knee-jerk hysteria just by surfacing." - Richard K Morgan
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
KevanG
Brony

The local 'small time' heroes should have them like Daredevil but the bigger guys shouldn't. I like how the Avengers group has it.

It makes sense for the big guys not to have them, Banner, Stark and especially Thor. Thor having some sort of secret identity would be ridiculous unless it's for a one off thing like they did in the first movie or used as a joke.

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
KevanG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Daltonio
Avi Arad's Sidekick

Yes.

Daltonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #13
Levsky
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Also one thing that bugs me, Widow and Hawkeye are supposed to be these world class spies but there faces are pretty well known after The Battle of New York...kinda makes them s***y spies right?
But their identities are well known after events at the end of CA:TWS anyway.

Levsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #14
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I miss them and hope they don't do away with them for Daredevil and Spider-Man. I think it brings diversity to the MCU to have heroes (and villains) with secret identities otherwise everyone becomes the same.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #15
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levsky View Post
But their identities are well known after events at the end of CA:TWS anyway.
Yeah, I think their days as covert operatives in SHIELD is pretty much over now. Now they are just Avengers.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #16
kedrell

Given the absolute levels of powers that will be in play during the Infinity War movies is it too much to hope for something of a very soft reboot to occur and tidy up some of these issues. We know in the comics when he had the chance Iron Man used alien technology to basically remove all knowledge of the fact that he was Tony Stark from the minds and records of everyone on Earth and reset his secret identity. Just sayin', you can do a lot with the Infinity Guantlet. Characters(read villains mainly) who are dead but didn't get their due can suddenly be alive again, etc. Always wished Wasp and Ant-Man were the founding members they were in the comics? It could be possible. It presents a tantalizing opportunity to reset the MCU in some ways without tossing out everything that's come before.

Last edited by kedrell; 02-16-2015 at 07:45 PM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #17
BarryAllen
Dancing Monkey

Kind of and kind of not.

The secret identities angle is very limiting on the stories you can tell, and with public heroes like Iron Man and Captain America, it doesn't really work. For street-level heroes like Daredevil it makes more sense because their communities tend to be smaller, allowing for more personal threats.

And then you have characters like Spiderman, Superman and Batman who should retain their secret identities purely on the fact that it's so ingrained into their mythos and pop culture that any deviation would probably be weird.

BarryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryAllen View Post
Kind of and kind of not.

The secret identities angle is very limiting on the stories you can tell, and with public heroes like Iron Man and Captain America, it doesn't really work. For street-level heroes like Daredevil it makes more sense because their communities tend to be smaller, allowing for more personal threats.

And then you have characters like Spiderman, Superman and Batman who should retain their secret identities purely on the fact that it's so ingrained into their mythos and pop culture that any deviation would probably be weird.
Batman at least has the excuse that he mostly works in the shadows and at night, so people rarely ever get a good look at him.

Spider-Man has to have it because the great appeal of the character is that he's a regular, nerdy kid with regular problems when he's not wearing the mask and that goes away if everyone knows who he is.

You are right about Superman though. It has always been silly with him. It is probably only done because it has been that way for 75 years. Notice that DC tried to avoid the issue as much as they possibly could with Man of Steel, only paying it a token nod.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #19
BarryAllen
Dancing Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Batman at least has the excuse that he mostly works in the shadows and at night, so people rarely ever get a good look at him.

Spider-Man has to have it because the great appeal of the character is that he's a regular kid with regular problems when he's not wearing the mask and that goes away if everyone knows who he is.

You are right about Superman though. It has always been silly with him. It is probably only done because it has been that way for 75 years. Notice that DC tried to avoid the issue as much as they possibly could with Man of Steel, only paying it a token nod.
The thing with Superman, while some say is silly, I've always liked. I've always seen Clark Kent as his real persona (because that's the way he was raised on Earth, not as Kal-El). Plus I really like the iconic shirt-rips lol.

BarryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 PM   #20
MbJ
Side-Kick

No because as others have said, save for rare cases like Spider-Man and Daredevil the secret identities seem kind of unnecessary and silly.

Iron Man in particular was always a headscratcher for me. Nobody ever put two and two together and realized Stark's "Bodyguard" was never seen with him and conveniently only ever showed up when Tony was out of sight?

MbJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #21
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I'm actually glad we got rid of some of the secret identities. A lot of them were just there for the sake of tradition and weren't that vital to the character. I don't think any of the secret identities they removed were necessary in the first place.

If there's one I kinda missed though, it was Cap's. Now I don't think Captain America necessarily needs a secret identity, but I always liked the idea of it not being revealed to the public till after the war. I would have loved to see the government keep it a secret from most people (other than a few key soldiers who worked with Cap) as a means of strengthening the symbol aspect for the American people. Even show the soldiers that originally doubted him serve under him without finding out who he was till after his disappearance. Then when you get to the 21st century, his identity is just public knowledge.

However, none of that was particularly necessary. It's just an idea I think would have been cool to see.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:22 AM   #22
Blackman
C'mon Son

I think Superman should for sure have a secret identity. It bugged me in MoS when so many people knew his identity. And then they threw it in at the end felt really stupid to me

THe problem I have with Clark Kent/Superman is that so many of the filmmakers and comic creators don't get it right.

It isn't that hard but they all seem to have the mentality "It's outdated, it's silly, it doesn't make sense" so they either half ass it or just copy the Donner version.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 AM   #23
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

not really, no. so far we haven't seen street level heroes/vigilantes in the MCU where a secret identity is necessary. we will get tat with Daredevel very soon anyway

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #24
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

Doesn't Banner still kind of have a secret identity? SHIELD, the military, Ross, Betty, Sterns, and his fellow Avengers know he's the Hulk but not the general public I think.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #25
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
No because as others have said, save for rare cases like Spider-Man and Daredevil the secret identities seem kind of unnecessary and silly.

Iron Man in particular was always a headscratcher for me. Nobody ever put two and two together and realized Stark's "Bodyguard" was never seen with him and conveniently only ever showed up when Tony was out of sight?
He'd often have Rhodey or Happy don the armor just for the purpose of having Iron Man and himself clearly being seen as being in 2 places at the same time. Simple really. The armor conceals identity far better than DD or Spidey or Batman's disguises ever have. It covers the entire face and can easily modify the user's voice to make it unrecognizable.