Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #426
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I can't stand Kidder's Lois anymore, her characterization is a serious detractor that prevents me from enjoying the Donner films. Sadly, Raimi used her as a model for his MJ...
Really? I see no resemblence...

And what is it about Kidder's Lois that bugs you?

I'm really not a fan of the old movies in general, but Kidder's Lois is probably my least most hated aspect.

Sure, her relationship with Clark is dissapointing, but that's because of how HE is.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #427
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Well, it's her relationship with Clark that bugs me the most. And yes, part of the problem stems from Clark's writing, but she was being a douche to him, behavior-wise. She was just a very unlikeable character to me.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #428
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Well, it's her relationship with Clark that bugs me the most. And yes, part of the problem stems from Clark's writing, but she was being a douche to him, behavior-wise. She was just a very unlikeable character to me.
Fair enough. I guess I just don't think she was that bad to him, considering how ridiculously he was acting, and compared to how other interpretations of Lois have treated Clark on first meeting him ('hack from nowheresville').

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #429
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
IMO, the Erica Durance version is the best we've so far, followed closely by the Teri Hatcher version.
Agreed; in particular, I thought ED's Lois was well written and delivered in the final three (8, 9, 10) seasons of Smallville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I don't know... Weirdly, I feel like it's the negative aspects of Lois' personality that make her stand out above a lot of other love interests.

It's just about handling them right. You don't make her a ***** in just a general way and have her treat Clark and everyone badly; you just have her being ruthless in her pursuit of a story she's passionate about, and perhaps being a ***** to someone she wants to expose.

Or if you do have her doing something selfish or thoughtless to someone who doesn't deserve it, you show that it does bother her even if she won't admit it.

Lois as a character is really interesting to write because it's about nailing the balance between tenacious, fiery, passionate journalist vs sweet and slightly vulnerable woman.

And I agree, both Teri Hatcher's Lois and Erica Durance's Lois nailed that balance

Well, I hope that Amy's Lois was written in a way that people will like. I have no doubt that Amy will/can make Lois into a very likable/beloved character with her acting chops and personality alone, but again, the characterization of her character will be important as well and that's something that even Amy can't control if the writers have written her in a bad way.

I'd like to think that based on Snyder's comments awhile back on casting Amy because she makes Lois someone that people can buy as to why Superman would fall in love with her is a sign that Lois will be written as a likable person when compared to her last film counterpart, ala Kate Bosworth's Lois.

Out of all of the Lois's that I know out there, Kate's Lois was received the worst in both performance and in her characterization, namely on her treatment towards Clark Kent.

Though I gotta agree with others that so far, the ABSOLUTE WORST Female Character/Love Interest in a Superhero/Comic Book Genre film still goes to Kirstin Dunst's portrayal of MJ.lol

Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #430
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Out of all of the Lois's that I know out there, Kate's Lois was received the worst in both performance and in her characterization, namely on her treatment towards Clark Kent.
God that was awful. I don't even know what they were going for. They took out the tenacious fiery side AND the sweet side and just replaced it with a miserable, moody, cynical woman.

*\S/T*
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #431
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'm trying to think of a worse love interest than Raimi's MJ and honestly I can't. Well, maybe Kate's Lois. Yeah, her. She's the worst. At least MJ in no1 had likeable traits.

Cue "Rachel Dawes" in 3...2...1...

Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #432
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well, they had better not waste Amy's abilities on a poorly written role; and I honestly don't think (at least for now) that Amy would have taken the role if the role was written in some poor taste. Amy is without a doubt the biggest actress to have taken on the role of Lois in any form (which is why I'm hoping that if MOS is a success that Warner Bros. does it within all of their powers to get her to sign a contract to appear in any potential sequels)

Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #433
Deathstroke
Banned User

Default Re: Lois Lane/ Superman Nolan Concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Nolan didn't write anything, so no I'm not concerned.
Christopher Nolan is officially credited as one of the film's writers. It was a joint effort.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #434
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
Christopher Nolan is officially credited as one of the film's writers. It was a joint effort.
Nolan is writer of the story, not the screenplay. His influence on the relationship would most likely be plot points and not poor dialogue.

Also I find is direction to be a factor in his stiff romantic scenes more so than his writing.

Last edited by Krumm; 11-08-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #435
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Nolan is writer of the story, not the screenplay. His influence on the relationship would most likely be plot points and not poor dialogue.

Also I find is direction to be a factor in his stiff romantic scenes more so than his writing.
I thought he did alright with how he created the Bruce/Selina dynamics in TDKR

Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #436
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
I thought he did alright with how he created the Bruce/Selina dynamics in TDKR
I think there was good sexual tension and intrigue but I didn't feel like they should end up together.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #437
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
I blame all of this on the fact that they never emphasized the Clark/Lois relationship.

They were intent on having her fall in love with Superman, and not Clark.

This is evident in that Supes didn't make an effort to make her fall in love with him as Clark, he only tried when he was Superman. As Clark, all he did was play bumbling idiot so she wouldn't know it was the same man.

Overall, it was just badly written and not at all what I wanna see out of the MOS version of their relationship.

I would much rather see something similar to the Smallville dynamic between Clark and Lois. That was a flawed show but if there was one thing they got perfect, it was that.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #438
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
I blame all of this on the fact that they never emphasized the Clark/Lois relationship.

This is evident in that Supes didn't make an effort to make her fall in love with him as Clark, he only tried when he was Superman. As Clark, all he did was play bumbling idiot so she wouldn't know it was the same man.

Overall, it was just badly written and not at all what I wanna see out of the MOS version of their relationship.

I would much rather see something similar to the Smallville dynamic between Clark and Lois. That was a flawed show but if there was one thing they got perfect, it was that.
Well in some ways, I can't entirely blame them back then for having Lois fall for Superman over Clark. I mean the film was made during the period where SUPERMAN was treated as the real persona within the comics I believe since I think this was before the comic revamp where it placed Clark as the real person instead.

Thus, if they were going with that notion of superman being the real person, then they would have probably felt that there was no need to have Lois have any real romantic feelings for Clark back then; plus it was somewhat of a status quo back then that Clark would always be portrayed as the person that Lois dismissed in favor of Superman.

Honestly, my only hope is that for this film, Lois falls for the right persona without treating the other one in such a poor manner and I think Amy is capable of achieving that with good writing especially.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #439
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Well in some ways, I can't entirely blame them back then for having Lois fall for Superman over Clark. I mean the film was made during the period where SUPERMAN was treated as the real persona within the comics I believe since I think this was before the comic revamp where it placed Clark as the real person instead.

Thus, if they were going with that notion of superman being the real person, then they would have probably felt that there was no need to have Lois have any real romantic feelings for Clark back then; plus it was somewhat of a status quo back then that Clark would always be portrayed as the person that Lois dismissed in favor of Superman.
I see your point.

Quote:
Honestly, my only hope is that for this film, Lois falls for the right persona without treating the other one in such a poor manner and I think Amy is capable of achieving that with good writing especially.
I agree, though, I feel like this film is gonna have it where Clark is the real person. and that there won't be a Clark who works at the Daily Planet and then Kal-El who is earths protector, Superman. It will be a balance between the two. Funnily enough, like Smallville.

I don't mean to bring up Smallville this much but its a good example.

EDIT: To bring that show up one more time, it had the best live action Lex. Bar none.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #440
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:

That, and Lex, for the most part. But yes, I agree with your post. Still, Lois could've avoided being a douche to Clark for the writers to emphasize she likes Superman.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #441
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
I see your point.

I agree, though, I feel like this film is gonna have it where Clark is the real person. and that there won't be a Clark who works at the Daily Planet and then Kal-El who is earths protector, Superman. It will be a balance between the two. Funnily enough, like Smallville.

I don't mean to bring up Smallville this much but its a good example.

EDIT: To bring that show up one more time, it had the best live action Lex. Bar none.

I still remember the days where:

1. A lot of us were unsure if Lois was even going to be in this film due to the fact that we had gotten news reports that the filmmakers were looking for actresses to play a lead female role that wasn't reportedly Lois.

2. Then once Amy was selected for the role, there were a lot of Amy/Lois Haters that kept insisting that Lois would have a very small part in this film, and would probably not even interact with Superman at all.

3. And my most favorite (sarcasm), there was of course the time where a certain poster (thankfully now banned for life) kept insisting that Lois was nothing but a forgetful love interest who's purpose is to only be on film for Superman to have physical scenes with on a romantic note and that's all she was good for along with how marriage and Superman don't mix since it shows and I quote: "A sign of weakness" for a hero.

Ah...some good times indeed.haha

Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #442
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
That, and Lex, for the most part. But yes, I agree with your post. Still,Lois could've avoided being a douche to Clark for the writers to emphasize she likes Superman.
Agreed.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #443
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Lois is one of the best love interest from comics, imo. Despite me not being a huge Supes fan, she deserves to be done well.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #444
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Personally, I think there's a good chance that most of the "bonding" between Superman and Lois may take place during his time as a "captive" for the government and the period where they're potentially taken by Faora into Zod's ship.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #445
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
I still remember the days where:

1. A lot of us were unsure if Lois was even going to be in this film due to the fact that we had gotten news reports that the filmmakers were looking for actresses to play a lead female role that wasn't reportedly Lois.

2. Then once Amy was selected for the role, there were a lot of Amy/Lois Haters that kept insisting that Lois would have a very small part in this film, and would probably not even interact with Superman at all.

3. And my most favorite (sarcasm), there was of course the time where a certain poster (thankfully now banned for life) kept insisting that Lois was nothing but a forgetful love interest who's purpose is to only be on film for Superman to have physical scenes with on a romantic note and that's all she was good for along with how marriage and Superman don't mix since it shows and I quote: "A sign of weakness" for a hero.

Ah...some good times indeed.haha
Yeah. I personally never doubted and still don't doubt that Amy will do a good job nor do I think she'll have a limited role. Now she might not have a role in the film until the second half but still, I think she'll play a very important role, as she does in the comics.

And that whole forgettable, sign of weakness thing: Completely invalid.

Quote:
Lois is one of the best love interest from comics, imo. Despite me not being a huge Supes fan, she deserves to be done well.
Agreed. She is the original love interest man. Her just like Supes, deserve to be respected and portrayed in the nest way possible.

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 11-08-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #446
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Yeah. I personally never doubted and still don't doubt that Amy will do a good job nor do I think she'll have a limited role. Now she might not have a role in the film the second half but still, I think she'll play a very important role, as she does in the comics.

And that whole forgettable, sign of weakness thing: Completely invalid.
Indeed and like some have speculated, I think her first scene will be in Alaska with the first shot of her probably being something like as Clark is passing by trying to avoid attention, Lois comes out of a bus or taxi and passes by him without notice.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #447
Zionite1
Side-Kick

If Lois is potrayed in a way thats similar to fleschier cartoon or animated series Im walking.Those versions were plain shallow b*****s.Kidders version is just "tolerable" but i cant see why Clark wld be in love with her.
Best version is Ericas followed very closer by Teri hatchers.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #448
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Indeed and like some have speculated, I think her first scene will be in Alaska with the first shot of her probably being something like as Clark is passing by trying to avoid attention, Lois comes out of a bus or taxi and passes by him without notice.
Most likely.

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 11-08-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #449
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Amy Adams says that her Lois portrayal, even though it's a more modern take, "is very respectful and reverent to Margot Kidder":

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7050554.story

Adams is just a class act. Love her.
I was hoping Adams' version would go the opposite way of Kidder's and actually make Lois a likeable and respectable character. That would be a first.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #450
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
I was hoping Adams' version would go the opposite way of Kidder's and actually make Lois a likeable and respectable character. That would be a first.
I think Adams will make Lois more likeable and respectable, just on principle. If she's taking a leaf out of Margot Kidder's book, it's likely her tendency to get in trouble, not necessarily her rough personality.

I really liked the way they personified Lois in the animated series (especially with Dana Delany voicing the character)... she was likeable and respectable but willing to buckle down and get a top story if need be. She had respect for Clark as well, at least to a degree.

"Come Think With Us."
Closed Thread