The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
WompuM
Esquire

Default Earth 2 (It's like Earth, but 2)

Issue #1 was published today. A very surprising route that Robinson has taken. It seems that Jay Garrick and Alan Scott will be the true headliners in this book, but already we have seen Al Pratt and probably Jim Harper. This could be the JSA book we were all missing in the relaunch.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Default Re: Earth 2 (It's like Earth, but 2)

It actually wasn't bad. I had no real interest in it tbh but just bought it on a whim since I had the extra cash and it's new Nicola Scott artwork. Depending on where the next issue goes I think I may just add this to my monthlies list. It has a great pace and takes the same themes John wanted to tackle but really didn't in his first JL arc and pulled them off miles better in ONE issue. I really like the new Jay and Allan. It's different but it doesn't feel like a con either.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

I think this deserves best new thread title of 2012. I'm not reading the book, so I have nothing else to add.

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
JTStarkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
WompuM
Esquire

Thanks Starkiller. I try.

As for the book, it seems that instead of some newspaper day of old like we've seen Alan Scott portrayed as recently (especially by Robinson himself, in the The Golden Age and Starman) now he is younger, hip, and more of a Richard Branson type. I really hope that Robinson maintains Scott's power levels. Whenever Green Lantern would show up in Robinson's 90's work, you knew **** was serious and the tide was about to turn. I'm curious to see how Alan will acquire his ring and lantern and if the Guardians will be involved at all.

As for Jay, it seems now he will likely have a mythical origin and tied closely to Wonder Woman-2. I'm not entirely against this. It seperates him from the Speed Force group of speedsters and gives him his own identity. Also, having an origin that physically ties into Mercury (whom Flash was always modeled) makes a lot more sense than his Golden Age origin, which if I remember correctly, dealt with Jay inhaling fumes of "hard water."

Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

I liked it

I haven't read any previous JSA stuff yet so I don't find myself lamenting any changes that may have been made

I'm interested enough to read the next issue so it's a success as far as I'm concerned

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was a lot more fun than I expected, and I really like the semi-different take on the Trinity (I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Superman), and there seems to be a lot of potential with the younger JSA characters.

Also, did anybody get a kick out of how Scott changed Superman's for the interior pages? It's far more Man of Steel-influenced than what appears on the cover.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
WompuM
Esquire

I suppose it is.

I wouldn't say I am lamenting any of the changes Robsinson has introduced. All them, so far, have made sense to me. This is the birth of the golden age but in the modern day. I'm rolling with it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I actually really dug this! I'm looking forward to Jay getting his powers.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I actually liked everything that happened in this issue. The beginning with the Trinity felt more like a crisis than some of the ones that we have been getting in the past and it set up Darkseid as a much bigger threat than Johns was able to do in JL. LOVE Nicolas artwork and her WW looked GREAT imo, liked the new look. Also liked seeing a normal godly god that wasnt turned into some sort of monster look.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

This was bought on a whim and it was ****ing awesome. Loved seeing the Trinity fall and actually felt bad for Kathy whom I only have just met in this book. Best **** from JR in a while.

Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
WompuM
Esquire

Kathy? Who's that? The lady with Alan Scott?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WompuM View Post
Kathy? Who's that? The lady with Alan Scott?
I'm sorry I meant Helena.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #13
Shazam
Side-Kick

I think this was a pretty good book. But why turn Joan into such a vile person?? Is this really what sells books??

I guess we will never see those noble heroes again......I swear...it's like the DC universe is on crack.

So....it this the same Apokolips attacking the multiverse or another one??

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
This was bought on a whim and it was ****ing awesome. Loved seeing the Trinity fall and actually felt bad for Kathy whom I only have just met in this book. Best **** from JR in a while.
Disagree because The Shade has been really good. It goes to show though that when the man is on his A game and really tries he could pull off good uncompressed comic book storytelling better than most of his peers.

I loved how despite all the reinventions it still had that FEEL of what a book featuring the JSA should be like. The tone is pitch perfect. Also loved how he took Johns' basic plot thread (A JLA style team Vs. Parademon invasion) and really made something that had consequence, was intense and had emotional payoff ALL IN ONE ISSUE. I really felt for Helena during Bruce's last exchange with her. So well done. **** if this is what Steppenwolf is like I could only imagine how insanely awesome his take on Darkseid will be.

As mentioned I also really really loved that "Mercury will give way to The Flash" thing. I'm surprised it's never really been done before. It's both nicely metatextual and also very fresh in that it's not science based so it doesn't make it another redundant Flash origin. Overall I was very surprised by this title. I really did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did at all. Sometimes taking a chance on a book is a good thing.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I think this was a pretty good book. But why turn Joan into such a vile person?? Is this really what sells books??

I guess we will never see those noble heroes again......I swear...it's like the DC universe is on crack.

Maybe because that's how some college aged folk act in today's world?

Seriously yo there are decades worth of comics with Jay happily married to Joan and they're still easy to find. If you miss that it's not hard to find. I'll be on the other side enjoying a new take on all these familiar elements.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
As mentioned I also really really loved that "Mercury will give way to The Flash" thing. I'm surprised it's never really been done before. It's both nicely metatextual and also very fresh in that it's not science based so it doesn't make it another redundant Flash origin. Overall I was very surprised by this title. I really did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did at all. Sometimes taking a chance on a book is a good thing.
I'd laugh my ass off if he said "Here, human... This is a list of chemicals that will make you fast" at the start of #2.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #17
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I'd laugh my ass off if he said "Here, human... This is a list of chemicals that will make you fast" at the start of #2.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #18
WompuM
Esquire

Quote:

I don't think she's vile here. She's just fed up. Jay is supposed to be beginning his life as an adult and obviously does not have his **** together. It's a rather realistic reason for a couple in that stage of their life to part ways. She has given him good reasons and even brought a fair amount of closure to the relationship. I wouldn't call it vile at all. Quite mature actually.

And I would say the same Apokolips. Nice to see Darkseid attempt some honest-to-goodness multiversal domination. I'm always saddened that Sinestro was never given the chance. They hinted at it in the Sinestro Corps special. That would have been awesome to see. Would have upped him to an A-list villain instead of a dull Hal supporting character.

Quote:
Disagree because The Shade has been really good. It goes to show though that when the man is on his A game and really tries he could pull off good uncompressed comic book storytelling better than most of his peers.

I loved how despite all the reinventions it still had that FEEL of what a book featuring the JSA should be like. The tone is pitch perfect. Also loved how he took Johns' basic plot thread (A JLA style team Vs. Parademon invasion) and really made something that had consequence, was intense and had emotional payoff ALL IN ONE ISSUE. I really felt for Helena during Bruce's last exchange with her. So well done. **** if this is what Steppenwolf is like I could only imagine how insanely awesome his take on Darkseid will be.

Yes. I think this book will be a big sleeper hit for DC. Hopefully word of its quality will spread. I'm tempted to pick up world's finest as well. We'll see if it is on sale this weekend. Robinson has been on his A-game lately. Let's pray whatever Gay for Justice was, was just a fluke and he had a virus or something while writing it. If Earth-2 remains this good, it could rival his JSA/Starman work. He's been given the keys to an entire universe, to craft and form it any way he sees fit. I hope he doesn't blow it.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #19
Kurosawa
Banned User

Sad thing is, the better this book does the less chance the classic JSA will ever be seen again.

It's safe to say the JSA are officially dead.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #20
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WompuM View Post

And I would say the same Apokolips. Nice to see Darkseid attempt some honest-to-goodness multiversal domination. I'm always saddened that Sinestro was never given the chance. They hinted at it in the Sinestro Corps special. That would have been awesome to see. Would have upped him to an A-list villain instead of a dull Hal supporting character.
Yeah I think it's cool that 5 years in the past minions of Darkseid start wrecking havoc on multiple earths at the same time. Even though I wasn't a fan of Johns' version of I love the sense of gravitas it adds to the apokaliptan threat. The implication that it's a multiversal threat and not just something confined to one earth is cool. Makes them as formidable a threat as they should always be. Which is something we really haven't seen in recent times outside of Morrison's work with those characters.

Quote:
Yes. I think this book will be a big sleeper hit for DC. Hopefully word of its quality will spread. I'm tempted to pick up world's finest as well. We'll see if it is on sale this weekend. Robinson has been on his A-game lately. Let's pray whatever Gay for Justice was, was just a fluke and he had a virus or something while writing it. If Earth-2 remains this good, it could rival his JSA/Starman work. He's been given the keys to an entire universe, to craft and form it any way he sees fit. I hope he doesn't blow it.
WF like this book wasn't even on my radar but as soon as the shop opens tomorrow I'm walking in and grabbing a copy for sure. I'm curious as to how Levitz and Perez pick up from where we last saw Helena and Kara in E2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Sad thing is, the better this book does the less chance the classic JSA will ever be seen again.

It's safe to say the JSA are officially dead.
Yeah in the sense that our favorite old stories are no longer canon. However as I said in my first post in this thread "it's different but it's not a con".

There are reinventions but Alan is still a noble & selfless person, Jay is still a college boy who's life is about to change and Al Pratt is still a loveable runt from what little we see of them all. So it's very true to the spirit of the JSA even if it's not the same JSA we all know and love and a completely new take on it.

I'd say give it a shot Kuro it's actually much more tastefully done than I expected because it's respectful of the essence of every character it takes on. From the trinity to the JSA hallmarks and doesn't seem to be a book that will be hindered by the decompressed nonsense you find in many other modern comics either thank god.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #21
WompuM
Esquire

I'm wondering if the Trinity seen in issue 1 were the only heroes (aside from Supergirl and Robin) that this Earth has had. Morrison's Earth 23 is shown to have a full Justice League. I'm wondering if that will be true here. I kind of hope not. I want the formation of the JSA to be unprecedented here as it was in the original Golden Age. Yes, there were costumed heroes before, but (especially with their untimely deaths ) they didn't have as big of an impact on the world as they normally would have.

How long was the war with Apokolips here? Did it say? And how much time passed since the end of it to when we catch up with Jay and Alan? Seems odd the two of them would have such normal lives when meanwhile interdimensional aliens were controlling the planet.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #22
Kurosawa
Banned User

I love Nicola Scott's art and I have liked Robinson's work at times, but I don't want to buy this book since it is the final nail in the coffin for the classic JSA and the Pre-Crisis Multiverse period.

I hate to be the "raped my childhood" guy, but the JSA have always been my favorite team and to see them just become another group of modern kewl characters with no ties to WWII and all of their history negated is pretty much it for me. Excepting Morrison's Action, I don't see myself buying any more comics. At 3-4 bucks a pop it's too expensive a hobby anyway.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
I love Nicola Scott's art and I have liked Robinson's work at times, but I don't want to buy this book since it is the final nail in the coffin for the classic JSA and the Pre-Crisis Multiverse period.

I hate to be the "raped my childhood" guy, but the JSA have always been my favorite team and to see them just become another group of modern kewl characters with no ties to WWII and all of their history negated is pretty much it for me. Excepting Morrison's Action, I don't see myself buying any more comics. At 3-4 bucks a pop it's too expensive a hobby anyway.
Kuro, give this issue a chance. I have read and respected your opinions over the years but reading this book I got to the last panel and was like wow I have to wait a month for the next issue. This is easily the best #1 DC has put out, plus you might find yourself enjoying aside from one panel of violence.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.

Last edited by Hush; 05-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #24
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe because that's how some college aged folk act in today's world?

Seriously yo there are decades worth of comics with Jay happily married to Joan and they're still easy to find. If you miss that it's not hard to find. I'll be on the other side enjoying a new take on all these familiar elements.

And that's a good thing??

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
And that's a good thing??
Having a modern college-aged character acting like a modern college-aged character?