The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

View Poll Results: Who should be added to the roster?
Hank Pym 56 65.12%
The Wasp 51 59.30%
Ms Marvel 41 47.67%
Scarlett Witch 13 15.12%
Black Panther 52 60.47%
Mockingbird 1 1.16%
Quicksilver 11 12.79%
Vision 19 22.09%
Mantis 0 0%
Falcon 7 8.14%
Wonder Man 3 3.49%
Tigra 2 2.33%
She Hulk 8 9.30%
Captain Marvel 5 5.81%
Starfox 0 0%
Moon Knight 1 1.16%
Doctor Strange 16 18.60%
Crystal 0 0%
The Sentry 1 1.16%
Spider-woman 7 8.14%
Iron Fist 6 6.98%
Someone else 5 5.81%
None. Keep the roster the same 4 4.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #126
Chewy
REDACTED

Default Re: The Avengers casting thread

Well moving forward Hulk will obviously be #4. But I really really hope Ms Marvel is in the sequel and threequel. They need to get a superpowered female character in there, and she has the potential to be Marvel's Wonder Woman. They're already pushing her everywhere else (comics, TV, video games, etc)

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #127
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Like I said, it became something else. The idea of a team-up is only original for so long, and eventually a long running comic needs more to flesh out. But that very first issue took characters from their own stories, put them together in one, and put all of the characters' names in large letters on the cover. It was an all-star team-up.

Avengers may not have a shelf-life, but this iteration of Avengers with this group of actors and this director certainly does. They aren't going to do it forever. I doubt any of these people will be involved beyond Avengers 3. I would rather get a full arc that gives these characters their due and really resonates with viewers accordingly than toss in extra characters because they were swell in the comics.
Looking beyond the shelf life of the individual actors is the best way to give these characters their due. Iron Man will still be around long after RDJ has moved on, and Kevin Feige has made it clear in the wake of Avengers' success that whoever plays the role in the future will still be in continuity. As will all the other roles. That's why I can't fathom trying to generate a story arc or trilogy or whatever based around *just* the current crop of actors.

I'm sure the actors' involvement in the movies isn't dependent on what the other actors do anyway --- i.e., I *strongly* doubt the two Chrises or Ruffalo or Renner or Scarjo or Samjack would arbitrarily end/fail to renew their contracts just because RDJ pulls out sometime in the future.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #128
Chewy
REDACTED

The two Chrises, ScarJo and Renner all signed for 6 movies. Three solos and three Avengers.

I don't look at it as the others pulling out when RDJ is done, I look at it as RDJ sticking around until the others are done (ie two more Avengers movies)

Besides, I believe attempting to do an Avengers movie with this same cast but someone else as IM is a horrendous idea. An entirely fresh cast after these folk are done is the way to go

Can you imagine Empire Strikes Back with someone else as Han Solo?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #129
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:

Shut yo mouf!

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #130
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
The two Chrises, ScarJo and Renner all signed for 6 movies. Three solos and three Avengers.

I don't look at it as the others pulling out when RDJ is done, I look at it as RDJ sticking around until the others are done (ie two more Avengers movies)

Besides, I believe attempting to do an Avengers movie with this same cast but someone else as IM is a horrendous idea. An entirely fresh cast after these folk are done is the way to go

Can you imagine someone else as Moneypenny, or M, or Q....? Oh wait

See, that's the difference. We're putting two different paradigms on the Avengers. You see it as Star Wars, and I see it as James Bond.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #131
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

The Bond example isn't the best one because those recasts were either caused by death or retirement. Besides films like Star Wars (or Harry Potter, LOTR, etc...) are an ensemble like The Avengers, where as James Bond is a one man show.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #132
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Can you imagine someone else as Moneypenny, or M, or Q....? Oh wait

See, that's the difference. We're putting two different paradigms on the Avengers. You see it as Star Wars, and I see it as James Bond.
Those are tertiary characters. RDJ is the main attraction, or at least 1/4 of it.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #133
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I think the "Bond" analogy works best for Batman, and has, to some extent, in the past. I don't think recasting Batman would have been so jarring if the rest for the movie wasn't so bad (I'm referring to the Schumacher, not Nolan, films here). After Nolan and Bale leave Batman, I want a new actor and director to come in and pick up with loose continuity to the Nolan films. I sure as hell don't want another origin film, but I also don't want someone to try to recreate the Nolan/Bale experience either. Just say everything that happened in these three films did happen, but we are going to try things a little differently, and just like Schumacher did, maybe keep people like Alfred and Gordon the same.

Anyway, I'm not sure how that would work in Avengers, now that we have already seen them all together. I haven't seen a single person complain about Ruffalo after seeing the movie, but that could be because Norton never established the character as an Avenger.

Donnie Darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #134
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Those are tertiary characters. RDJ is the main attraction, or at least 1/4 of it.
Okay, how about someone else playing James Bond....?

You're not gonna say *he's* tertiary to the Bond series, are you....?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #135
marcvader
Lurker #1

I think Tony would be replaced in his own movie first anyways so you'd have time to aclimate yourself to a new Tony before he ever got to Avengers. The Bond reference works better when speaking of solo movies not the Avengers.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #136
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I agree with all, it's an all-star movie. If it wasn't, it couldn't have possibly been as highly anticipated as it is. I also agree that the Bond analogy does not work, for several reasons ranging from discontinuity between actor changes, to the dissonance of half-recasting an ensemble film.

Quote:
I also disagree with you and others about the shelf life of the Avengers as a movie franchise. You seem to think that the whole genre is going to go belly-up in about a decade, so Marvel needs to just cram everything in to some quick wham-bam-thankya-ma'am trilogies and be done with it. But you only need to look at film history *and* comic book history to see that these characters have LONG-lasting appeal....their lives are measured in decades, not years.

Doesn't anybody think long-term anymore....?
Everyone dreams about long term, but successful people make sure the present, the immediate future is exceptional, so they'll have a foundation to build off of going forward, if such things are possible, because successful people know just because something has potential, doesn't mean it will be a reality. Long story short, you're counting chickens that haven't even been conceived yet.

Quote:
Avengers may not have a shelf-life, but this iteration of Avengers with this group of actors and this director certainly does. They aren't going to do it forever. I doubt any of these people will be involved beyond Avengers 3. I would rather get a full arc that gives these characters their due and really resonates with viewers accordingly than toss in extra characters because they were swell in the comics.
Exactly. These actors won't be around forever, and they are beloved, they are not comic book characters, they are actors, and are much less expendable and sidelineable. People love RDJ as Iron Man, when you change that, you can't just assume everyone who liked it before will still like it. It's a crapshoot.

As for the topic, Kate Hudson would be absolutely awesome as Ms. Marvel, Silvermoth, I can only hope they give her enough to do. If she's going to be Maria-Hil-ish and have a couple moments and some simply dialogue, it might not be a good look for her personally.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 05-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #137
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I agree with all, it's an all-star movie. If it wasn't, it couldn't have possibly been as highly anticipated as it is. I also agree that the Bond analogy does not work, especially as its a team up thing.

What difference does it make whether you're talking about an ensemble or a solo character....? The point being made is about new actors taking over existing roles without having to start over from scratch. They've been doing it successfully with 007 for decades.

Quote:

Everyone dreams about long term, but successful people make sure the present, the immediate future is exceptional, so they'll have a foundation to build off of going forward, if such things are possible, because successful people know just because something has potential, doesn't mean it will be a reality. Long story short, you're counting chickens that haven't even been conceived yet.

Same way they were talking about Avengers back in 2008. They said it couldn't happen, and Marvel proved naysayers wrong. Big time. And now here you guys are again, saying "it can't be done"....

Quote:
Exactly. These actors won't be around forever, and they are beloved, they are not comic book characters, they are actors, and are much less expendable and sidelineable.

Ask Norton how valuable actors are to Marvel Studios, and whether or not they're expendable or sidelineable.

Marvel cares about their characters; *not* their actors or directors or writers.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #138
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Kate Hudson would make a cool Ms Marvel. I'm just reading up on her last series and she really strikes me as a good fit. She's strong and cool enough and the great thing about Ms Marvel is she's sort of a bit of a mother hen and confidant for the other Avengers. If Cap, Steve and Thor are the big three, arguably Ms Marvel is #4.
I always saw her as Mockingbird, but I'd like her as Ms. Marvel.
She has some detractors for some reason though; probably because of her RomComs.
Quote:
Best way to see it.
Quote:
Ask Norton how valuable actors are to Marvel Studios, and whether or not they're expendable or sidelineable.

Marvel cares about their characters; *not* their actors or directors or writers.
Yep

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #139
marcvader
Lurker #1

Kate Hudson is petite.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #140
Majik1387

It's called working out.
I'd also like to see Diane Kruger in the role

Old 05-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #141
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^I think he's referring to her chest.

Quote:
What difference does it make whether you're talking about an ensemble or a solo character....? The point being made is about new actors taking over existing roles without having to start over from scratch. They've been doing it successfully with 007 for decades.
No they haven't. They did it for decades with loads of continuity problems, took decade long breaks, several embarassing flops, and eventually had to start from scratch. If that's what you want for Avengers, you may be on your own.

Quote:
Same way they were talking about Avengers back in 2008. They said it couldn't happen, and Marvel proved naysayers wrong. Big time. And now here you guys are again, saying "it can't be done"....
Who said it can't be done? It can be done if you start with a beloved trilogy and then move off in different directions. It can't be done the way you suggest.

Quote:

I didn't say they weren't expendable or sidelineable. Do we not have enough contentions that you need to misread my statements to get more? Also, actors are worth millions and millions of dollars to Marvel Studios, so, quite valuable actually.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #142
Majik1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
^I think he's referring to her chest.
That's an even worse statement then. Breast do not make a superheroine.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #143
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Well, Power-Girl.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #144
Majik1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
Well, Power-Girl.
I find her to be a waste of a character personally, but I give kudos to DC for finally redesigning her costume to not concentrate so much on her breasts. But Marvel > DC anyway.

And worst come to worst, padding is available.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #145
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Maybe Marvel will make something with Luke Cage, there was a recent commercial for some internet thing and a kid is asking his parents stuff and they find the answers on the internet. One of his questions is "How did Luke Cage get his powers?"

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #146
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:

I dare you to compare the box office returns of TIH with IM/IM2/TA.

No one but some nerds (I was one of them, not trying to be flippant) was upset that Norton wasn't going to be in Avengers. That wasn't a movie that clicked with a wider audience, or an interpretation of the character that mattered to a wider audience.

RDJ made Iron Man popular, not vice-versa. Spidey made Tobey popular, Bats made Keaton popular, but RDJ made Iron Man popular.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #147
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I dare you to compare the box office returns of TIH with IM/IM2/TA.

No one but some nerds (I was one of them, not trying to be flippant) was upset that Norton wasn't going to be in Avengers. That wasn't a movie that clicked with a wider audience, or an interpretation of the character that mattered to a wider audience.

RDJ made Iron Man popular, not vice-versa. Spidey made Tobey popular, Bats made Keaton popular, but RDJ made Iron Man popular.
Will nerds rage if they replace Banner again with someone other than Ruffalo? Is Hemsworth the only possible Thor? Evans the only possible Cap?

Yes, I know RDJ "defined" the role, and he's definitely going to be their hardest lead to replace. Someday. But you're being delusional if you think that Marvel wouldn't fire him or anyone else in their employ, if they felt the need to do so. They've got a track record with Norton, Terence Howard, Jon Favreau, Patty Jenkins and Mickey Rourke already. Hell, when all is said and done, it may turn out that Clark Gregg got the shaft, too....he certainly got written off well before his contract was due to expire. Some of those partings were on amicable terms; some weren't. Point is, Marvel Studios have made it very clear that nobody is irreplaceable.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #148
Silvermoth
Avenger

That's not very nice. There were other circumstances with those people you mentioned. Patty Jenkins for example wasn't really officially signed on before she left of her own volition. She still wants to work with Marvel so obviously she didn't get the shaft. She might even make a good Black Widow movie one day.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
And as for Coulsen, what happened to him served the story. It's for the best. The point of these movies are to make us feel after all. Excitement. Tragedy. Little bit of horniness.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #149
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
That's not very nice. There were other circumstances with those people you mentioned. Patty Jenkins for example wasn't really officially signed on before she left of her own volition. She still wants to work with Marvel so obviously she didn't get the shaft. She might even make a good Black Widow movie one day.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
And as for Coulsen, what happened to him served the story. It's for the best. The point of these movies are to make us feel after all. Excitement. Tragedy. Little bit of horniness.
Unlike certain other people on SHH, I'm not saying Marvel Studios fires or separates their talent out of malice. I don't think that even the Ed Norton decision was made lightly. But I *am* saying that Feige has made it very clear that the studio's number one priority is telling the stories and portraying the characters the way MARVEL wants, and if that means some heads have to roll, well then, that's business.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #150
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^I think that's a bit wishful. Their number one priority is making money. They haven't replaced Wright, because they know he will make them money, and get Ant-Man out there in a big way, which means more money down the line, even if he's not part of the Avengers, that's good for business, even if it's not like the comics. As much as Marvel values their characters, they're not dumb enough to devalue the real people that are necessary to make their characters come alive. I think they learned their lesson with Norton, because now they can't get any more A-list actors after being so disrespectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
That's an even worse statement then. Breast do not make a superheroine.
I know. It's really sad, but for most fans, afaik, superheroines are just sex fantasies, and much more attention is paid to how they fill out the suit than if they actually capture the character.

I mean, I actually like Ms. Marvel's storyline, but I'm not sure I could tell you what kind of person she is.

Diane Kruger would do well, I think, that's a solid choice. Keri Russell is a similar casting in that vein. It's interesting how young some of the Avengers are. Those actresses might have clear seniority over Cap and Thor, and certainly Widow. At that point, you might as well hire Charlize Therone, if you can get her.