The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #351
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers - Part 1

After watching the movie again:
-The first 20 minutes. I don't know whats the word to describe it, it was just not great. The action was also a bit lackluster.
-I didn't like the reaction towards Agent Coulson's death. I thought they kinda exaggerated.
-They didn't name the aliens.
-The scene where the old guy who stood up to Loki. I thought it was really cheesey.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #352
DarkJester
I taste like gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
After watching the movie again:
-The first 20 minutes. I don't know whats the word to describe it, it was just not great. The action was also a bit lackluster.
-I didn't like the reaction towards Agent Coulson's death. I thought they kinda exaggerated.
-They didn't name the aliens.
-The scene where the old guy who stood up to Loki. I thought it was really cheesey.
Lol r u trollin'? They clearly call them "Chitauri" on more than one occasion.

Also, I liked the old guy. He was the voice for the audience. We are normal, super-powerless, people. We're the people Loki is telling to kneel. We don't want to kneel, we'd want to be the guy standing up for mankind. :P

Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #353
thalidomide
The Enemy

The Other, Loki, and Thor mentioned the Chitauri

Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #354
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can see how the old guys line comes off cheesy. To me it basically said signal Captain America now. If it was a line to set up any of the other characters I dont think it would have worked. It felt very Golden age comic 101 and fit Caps old school personality. Thats the first scene that seems to really get the crowd goen.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #355
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJester View Post
Fair enough. Still, my beef is moreso with "When/How did they get Loki back into their custody" and less with Loki's modes of transportation.
The point is, it's not been made clear yet whether Loki can, in fact, fly. So, if he can't, he'd've been stuck on the mountaintop, ripe for getting captured again. Which moots the complaint.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #356
marvelman2006
Banned User

what I didnt like was my brother and his friend went and saw the avengers and didnt even see thor. They had a whole bunch of questions about loki and thor and I just laughed. I mean you need to atleast see cap and thor as a lead in. Thats like going to see revenge of the sith and never seeing any other sw movies.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #357
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJester View Post
Loki straight up teleported in and out of SHIELD's little campsite around Mjolnir in Thor, so umm... yes?
He teleported in by using the cube. On the cliff, he didn't have the cube. So again, what were his options?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #358
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium Man View Post
The point is, it's not been made clear yet whether Loki can, in fact, fly. So, if he can't, he'd've been stuck on the mountaintop, ripe for getting captured again. Which moots the complaint.
I had assumed he surrendered to them, didn't Fury say something like "...and we gotta find out why he gave himself up so easily" or SOMETHING like that...
His plan was to get inside SHIELD and make them all fight each other.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #359
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I can see how the old guys line comes off cheesy. To me it basically said signal Captain America now. If it was a line to set up any of the other characters I dont think it would have worked. It felt very Golden age comic 101 and fit Caps old school personality. Thats the first scene that seems to really get the crowd goen.

Yeah. I love the line for just that.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #360
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I have to say that, in spite of having everything to be cheesey, I really liked the scene.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #361
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I actually didn't like Cap's line. "The last time I was in Germany I met someone like you and we ended up disagreeing." Couldn't come up with a better quip thatn "we disagreed?"

Last edited by Matt; 05-09-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #362
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I actually didn't like Cap's line. "The last time I was in Germany I met someone like you and we ended up disagreeing." Couldn't come up with a better quip that "we disagreed?"
I guess he could have given a more bad ass one liners but, Cap just never came off as that kind of cocky to me.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #363
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Hulk got the last "hit" so automatically people assume that he had the upperhand, they seem to forget that Thor was still conscious when the fight was interrupted.
No.I don't think of it like that.I actually like that Thor had so much potential in that fight.As opposed to how they make Thor verses Hulk these days.It wasn't like that back in the good old days of Comics Thor was written more as holding his own against Hulk.You don't see that these days.
However one thing does comcern me.Is how Loki can hold his own against being an Asguardian (with if not the same strength close to it)Thor easily but then we see the outcome of him and Hulk.
Unless Thor is holding back on Loki.
However still it does seem as if this what hulk could do if he wanted to to any Asgadian.That scene would concern me more.
(I did Howver love it.)

Last edited by Hmarrs; 05-09-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #364
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I guess he could have given a more bad ass one liners but, Cap just never came off as that kind of cocky to me.
I think he was stating a fact more then a one liner.
He was just being very matter of fact.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #365
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I have to say that, in spite of having everything to be cheesey, I really liked the scene.
It was a build up for Cap.However it was in Germany.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #366
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
The whole concept of Captain America in the modern day is cheesy in itself, so like you, I didn't mind it either. Cap has a knack for those kind of heroics.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #367
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
I noticed that too, actually, but it didn't bother me too much.
Maybe because it reminded me of TDK and how we don't see The Joker escaping from the Harvey Dent fundraiser.
Thank you that has always bothered me to no end.I brought it up here some time back and just got attacked by TDK fans.
Back on Loki though I think he did because that was always his plan plus
I'm sure he did not want to go back to Asguard.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #368
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
Yeah. I love the line for just that.
Well I see it this way that was the Cap defining moment with out that there really would not have been one that would have been spot on like that.Unlike his Outfit.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #369
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I didn't like the fact that the movie had no substance. I liked the film but only as a big dumb loud action movie with fun characters.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #370
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
The whole concept of Captain America in the modern day is cheesy in itself, so like you, I didn't mind it either. Cap has a knack for those kind of heroics.
His outfit was more ridiculous then that line.

Last edited by Hmarrs; 05-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #371
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Things I didn't like:

-No Helicarrier involved in the final battle (so what if it was damaged).
-Wished that Tony would have been in Aqua/Deep Dive Armor when working on the Stark Tower arc reactor power source.
-World Security Council & lack of info about it. I get that we'll probably learn more about them in other films, but it really irked me to introduce it all of a sudden, and how idiotic they acted.
-Maria Hill pretty much not doing anything. She was not showcased well enough, nor did she really seem to be a counter to Fury.
-No scene showing Thor's arrival. Him simply showing up on the Quinjet was a let down. I was hoping for at least a small Asgard or Odin scene.
-Lack of Cap background. I'll assume they're saving the de-icing for the sequel, which seems pointless now.
-No "Avengers Assemble" line.
-Small scenes edited out that would have strengthened the film slightly (Cap's diner scene). It made the waitress interview at the end seem completely unnecessary and very cheesy.
-Coulson dying; didn't seem necessary, but I understand the reasoning. If they wanted to show the stakes, then they could have just killed a ton of innocent civilians during the battle.

It seems that for every really good thing about the film I have an irk that cancels it out. Maybe upon my second viewing my opinion will differ, but this is off the bat for me.

My LEGO Gallery
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #372
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmarrs View Post
Thank you that has always bothered me to no end.I brought it up here some time back and just got attacked by TDK fans.
Back on Loki though I think he did because that was always his plan plus
I'm sure he did not want to go back to Asguard.
It wasn't weird that Loki stayed, it was weird however that after already being suspicious that Loki put up a weak fight Cap and Iron Man weren't SUPER DUPER suspicious after Loki just casually chilled for five minutes when he could have easily escaped.

Free Original Music
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #373
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
No.I don't think of it like that.I actually like that Thor had so much potential in that fight.As opposed to how they make Thor verses Hulk these days.It wasn't like that back in the good old days of Comics Thor was written more as holding his own against Hulk.You don't see that these days.
However one thing does comcern me.Is how Loki can hold his own against being an Asguardian (with if not the same strength close to it)Thor easily but then we see the outcome of him and Hulk.
However still it does seem as if this what hulk could do if he wanted to to any Asgadian.That scene would concern me more.
(I did Howver love it.)

One thing you have to remember is that Hulk took Loki by suprise with his attack and Loki didn't have his spear at the time.

I'm sure Thor was holding back until Loki shot the Quinjet, after that Thor beat the living hell outta him until he escaped. Oh and Thor is definately alot stronger than Loki physically, they mostly fight with weapons which makes it harder to see the difference.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #374
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Things I didn't like:

-No Helicarrier involved in the final battle (so what if it was damaged).
-Wished that Tony would have been in Aqua/Deep Dive Armor when working on the Stark Tower arc reactor power source.
-World Security Council & lack of info about it. I get that we'll probably learn more about them in other films, but it really irked me to introduce it all of a sudden, and how idiotic they acted.
-Maria Hill pretty much not doing anything. She was not showcased well enough, nor did she really seem to be a counter to Fury.
-No scene showing Thor's arrival. Him simply showing up on the Quinjet was a let down. I was hoping for at least a small Asgard or Odin scene.
-Lack of Cap background. I'll assume they're saving the de-icing for the sequel, which seems pointless now.
-No "Avengers Assemble" line.
-Small scenes edited out that would have strengthened the film slightly (Cap's diner scene). It made the waitress interview at the end seem completely unnecessary and very cheesy.
-Coulson dying; didn't seem necessary, but I understand the reasoning. If they wanted to show the stakes, then they could have just killed a ton of innocent civilians during the battle.

It seems that for every really good thing about the film I have an irk that cancels it out. Maybe upon my second viewing my opinion will differ, but this is off the bat for me.
Not the same. As an audience, we have a connection to Coulson; we've seen him for 3 films, and he's come to represent the fan in the movie. Killing unnamed faces lacks impact because we have no connection them. Yes, I agree that the Chitauri mercilessly maiming a bunch of people would "show the stakes", but Coulson's death was a staple that finally got the team to smarten up.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #375
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
(I did Howver love it.)
I've always gotten the "holding back" vibe whenever they've had Thor vs. Loki. Hell, in Thor, you even see where Thor has had enough and he easily overpowers Loki and ends the fight, then lays Mjolnir on his chest. The other vibe you get from Thor in regards to Loki is that no matter what, he loves his brother and that Loki's actions truly pain Thor's heart.

Closed Thread