Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #951
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Default Re: What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I didn't like Black Widow's gauntlets in this one. Her widow's bite was basically a glorified taser. Instead, I would have preferred the gauntlets to fire projectiles that perhaps exploded on impact. She also seemed like a better fighter in IM2, especially with the cool little gadgets she had and the wire she used like a "web" to tie those hammer thugs up. It seemed like those were missing from TA, and her fighting was a bit more boring because of it.

She was a much better character in TA, but a better fighter in IM2.
Totally agree I feel that her and Jeremy's character were totally underused.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #952
TheFuture
Rising

Maybe I'm behind the times, but just saw Wally Pfister's criticism of the film, I didn't love The Avengers but I certainly digged it. So to call it an appalling film based on camerawork is a tad ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #953
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture View Post
Maybe I'm behind the times, but just saw Wally Pfister's criticism of the film, I didn't love The Avengers but I certainly digged it. So to call it an appalling film based on camerawork is a tad ridiculous.
It is. I thought he would criticize the fact the movie was shot digitally (since he's a big proponent for film), but camera angles? Really? If he's going to criticize a MCU movie with odd camera angles, it should be Thor (all those Dutch angles) not The Avengers. Seamus McGarvey's work was straightforward and beautifully shot.

I find it silly that a cinematographer is drawn out of a movie because of the camera placement. If he's so bothered by that, he should leave his cinematographer hat at the door first.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #954
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

One more thing that always annoyed me, We know that the alien army (Chaturi ) were attacking the city as a part of a larger plan of their invasion of Earth, which would have lead to Loki taking control of the Earth, they wanted to defeat / kill all resistance offered to them by the Army , Cops, Avengers, whoever who was opposing them.

So, Why would the Chtauri take a few Humans as hostage ? What they could possibly demand ? The whole scene was included just so that Captain America could do something heroic, otherwise it made no sense.

EDIT: I love all Nolan's Bat movies and Wally Pfister's cinematography, but I don't share his his opinion of Avengers movie and its cinematography, to me, the movie looked good enough, though I have some issues with it.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 10-17-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #955
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
It is. I thought he would criticize the fact the movie was shot digitally (since he's a big proponent for film), but camera angles? Really? If he's going to criticize a MCU movie with odd camera angles, it should be Thor (all those Dutch angles) not The Avengers. Seamus McGarvey's work was straightforward and beautifully shot.

I find it silly that a cinematographer is drawn out of a movie because of the camera placement. If he's so bothered by that, he should leave his cinematographer hat at the door first.
As a cinematographer, it is his right to criticize a movie based on what he does for a living. But, as someone nearly with a film degree myself, and cinematography being a talent of mine, I disagree with him big time.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #956
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
As a cinematographer, it is his right to criticize a movie based on what he does for a living. But, as someone nearly with a film degree myself, and cinematography being a talent of mine, I disagree with him big time.
It is his right, for sure, but I think he forgot that McGarvey and Whedon were shooting the film as if they were shooting a native 3D production -- which would explain some of the more in-your-face shots. And it was shot to feel like a comic book come to life.

Plus, it wasn't like Pfister made some questionable lighting and camera choices in his own movies. His comments just come off as tactless and idiotic.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #957
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
One more thing that always annoyed me, We know that the alien army (Chaturi ) were attacking the city as a part of a larger plan of their invasion of Earth, which would have lead to Loki taking control of the Earth, they wanted to defeat / kill all resistance offered to them by the Army , Cops, Avengers, whoever who was opposing them.

So, Why would the Chtauri take a few Humans as hostage ? What they could possibly demand ? The whole scene was included just so that Captain America could do something heroic, otherwise it made no sense.

EDIT: I love all Nolan's Bat movies and Wally Pfister's cinematography, but I don't share his his opinion of Avengers movie and its cinematography, to me, the movie looked good enough, though I have some issues with it.
My opinion, I didn't think they were taking them hostage, I took it more as them just corralling them together to make it easier to kill a large group in one fell swoop with their grenade-like device.

EDIT: As for the cinematographer's comments... the guy is welcome to his opinion as is anyone. I disagree with it, I loved how Joss chose to film Avengers. My issue with his comment is mainly the way he went about stating it. it just seemed... tactless. The question he was asked didn't even mention Avengers, which leads me to think that he brought Avengers up all on his own and to call it 'appalling' at that?. I don't know... it comes across as perhaps unprofessional to me and maybe just a tad bitter (?)

That's just how it comes across to me, though.

~Agents of SHIELD

Last edited by Silvermoon; 10-17-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #958
webhead921
Side-Kick

Wally Pfister is a douche. Complain about story? TDK was very well acted, but the story was not all that great. Batman is betrayed by Selina, resulting in the breaking of his back and his imprisonment, and suddenly when he sees her again he's totally cool? A forced Bruce/Selina relationship? Within 24 hours, Batman is able to fly back into the US and get into Gotham while it is under Bane's control and being watched by the federal government? A lack of any real chemistry betweenBruce/Miranda? The Dark Knight Rises had better acting, but the Avengers overall was a better movie.

I'm Commander Shepard, and Jade Empire is my favorite Bioware game on the Citadel.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #959
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead921 View Post
Wally Pfister is a douche. Complain about story?
Pfister was criticizing the camera angles and positioning in The Avengers as a terrible way of storytelling.

I highly, highly disagree with him. I think The Avengers is a beautifully shot film, but it doesn't call attention to itself either.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #960
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Its funny looking at the DKR boards now..some have jumped at this opportunity to bash the Avengers movie..lol. Some nonsense about how its a 'goofy action film' and that it did not deserve the high critic scores etc. Its funny how salty some of them still are that Avengers somewhat stole their thunder when they fully expected the Bat to rule the summer.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #961
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

I knew the second I saw Pfister's comments re. The Avengers, it would start up another needles round of fanbase wars. And although I agree he's entitled to his opinion, he really came off poorly in that interview. He's now the second person who worked on TDKR (Modine was the first) who's bashed Avengers with no provocation. Whedon and Co. have been nothing but complimentary and gracious about the Batfilms and actually, the fans I've seen have been pretty great about both too.

I actually liked the cinematography in all the Bat films; no matter the flaws they are seriously gorgeous comic book movies.

But seriously, poor show, Pfister. Wasn't necessary to phrase it that way at all.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #962
Chewy
REDACTED

I've seen this pop up on a dozen or sites and I have to wonder: who cares? Seriously? I know they're just hit whoring but how is this driving hits?

I just sort of laugh that anyone's reaction to this "news" (lol) is more involved than "Kay."

Old 10-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #963
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I respect his opinion - or at least his right to give it - but it was definitely dickish and bad form professionally. Luckily we as Avengers fans are in a wonderful position to be magnanimous. Im actually looking forward to this guy's directorial debut.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #964
Mr.T
Side-Kick

Just sitting here thinking after watching the movie again on BluRay...

I really feel like they missed a little with the death of Coulson. When IM tells Loki you pissed off someone else and his name is Phil, it doesnt have the "punch" I know the director was looking for.
I think Phil getting stabbed in the back then having the comedic scene with the destroyer weapon underplays what his death really meant to his allies. They should have done something where Phil sacrifices his life willingly to aid the team or team members. The scene could've been very dramatic where Phil gets stuck inside the "Steel Trap" after saving Thor and the Avengers just aren't able to get to him in time. Something along those lines....

I'm nitpicking, yes. This is still my favorite superhero movie....

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #965
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
Just sitting here thinking after watching the movie again on BluRay...

I really feel like they missed a little with the death of Coulson. When IM tells Loki you pissed off someone else and his name is Phil, it doesnt have the "punch" I know the director was looking for.
I think Phil getting stabbed in the back then having the comedic scene with the destroyer weapon underplays what his death really meant to his allies. They should have done something where Phil sacrifices his life willingly to aid the team or team members. The scene could've been very dramatic where Phil gets stuck inside the "Steel Trap" after saving Thor and the Avengers just aren't able to get to him in time. Something along those lines....

I'm nitpicking, yes. This is still my favorite superhero movie....
I honestly thought he was going to say "One more person you pissed off...me!"

Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #966
Brother Jack
Confirmed Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Pfister was criticizing the camera angles and positioning in The Avengers as a terrible way of storytelling.

I highly, highly disagree with him. I think The Avengers is a beautifully shot film, but it doesn't call attention to itself either.
It's shot like a TV show. The whole movie has Whedon's television sensibilities attached to it and it's actually a benefit to it in terms of character and narrative; it's able to balance the large ensemble through a somewhat episodic structure with very clearly defined three acts. In terms of the cinematography it's mostly subjective, but to me at least it wasn't a strong suit of the film. But that's okay, it's really good anyway.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #967
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
I honestly thought he was going to say "One more person you pissed off...me!"
No matter how many times I watch The Avengers I STILL think he's going to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMaNiAx View Post
Totally agree I feel that her and Jeremy's character were totally underused.
Nah I'd say Thor was more underused than her, she had far more screentime than him and Hawkeye.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #968
roach
I am the night

Look its WP's opinion and he is welcome to it. I would like to see the whole quote or for him to show what he was talking about.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #969
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

I think I mentioned this awhile back, but I wanted to mention it again..

Three things I would of done differently.

1) Definitly made Widow's bites shot out and blow up, whoever made that suggestion is right on. Would of made her more fun in the fight scenes.

2) During the 3 way fight, when Thor was dropping the hammer on Cap, I think it should have been Cap covering Ironman somehow and Cap should have been the only one left standing as shockwave blows Thor back. It would have been a great shot as the camera panned back if Cap was standing strong over Ironman and Thor. It would have been much better than how he looked getting up in actual film.

3) During the group argument scene, I wish it would have been Cap who stopped for a second as he was arguing with Tony, shook his head to clear his thoughts, and realized that something was wrong as he looked at everyone arguing. I wish he would of stopped everyone and said something like "this isn't right... " looking around at everyone and then the alarm goes off, instead of the line "Dr Banner.. put the scepter down".. only looking at banner... I think this would of shown Loki's control and influence over everyone in that scene, and Cap being the only one able to break it.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #970
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
I think I mentioned this awhile back, but I wanted to mention it again..

Three things I would of done differently.

1) Definitly made Widow's bites shot out and blow up, whoever made that suggestion is right on. Would of made her more fun in the fight scenes.

2) During the 3 way fight, when Thor was dropping the hammer on Cap, I think it should have been Cap covering Ironman somehow and Cap should have been the only one left standing as shockwave blows Thor back. It would have been a great shot as the camera panned back if Cap was standing strong over Ironman and Thor. It would have been much better than how he looked getting up in actual film.

3) During the group argument scene, I wish it would have been Cap who stopped for a second as he was arguing with Tony, shook his head to clear his thoughts, and realized that something was wrong as he looked at everyone arguing. I wish he would of stopped everyone and said something like "this isn't right... " looking around at everyone and then the alarm goes off, instead of the line "Dr Banner.. put the scepter down".. only looking at banner... I think this would of shown Loki's control and influence over everyone in that scene, and Cap being the only one able to break it.
I see someone's a big Cap fan, especially with what you said in number 2 of your post.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #971
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I'm more of a fan of Hulk and Thor, but I love it when Cap is portrayed as the leader.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #972
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Agreed, particularly when Stark even has to prompt Cap to "call it" during the final battle, something I presume Steve would've been able to surmise on his own.

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 10-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #973
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I'm more of a fan of Hulk and Thor, but I love it when Cap is portrayed as the leader.
Yeah Cap being portrayed as the leader is only right, but Cap not budging from Thor's blow would be eye roll worthy.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #974
Adamantium
Your King

I'm a little confused. It might have been said a while back, not sure. Why exactly would Cap's shield not protect him from Mjolnir? Wouldn't the design of the shield cause whatever force Mjolnir had to simply go around or fall to the sides of Cap since he held it over himself? Is not the vibranium that strong? Is this speculation that Cap would've been hurt or is this something that has been specified in the comics....that he would've been hurt?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #975
Mr.T
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I'm a little confused. It might have been said a while back, not sure. Why exactly would Cap's shield not protect him from Mjolnir? Wouldn't the design of the shield cause whatever force Mjolnir had to simply go around or fall to the sides of Cap since he held it over himself? Is not the vibranium that strong? Is this speculation that Cap would've been hurt or is this something that has been specified in the comics....that he would've been hurt?
Vibranium is supposedly stronger than steel and completely absorbs vibration. I would think the initial impact of Thors hammer would have some effect on Cap. Think of it like this, if Thor were just to put his hand up to the shield and push, Cap would feel the resistance if he's holding the shield up. Try not to think of it like a force field. That's how I look at it anyways.

Closed Thread