The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #126
Majmun
Side-Kick

Default Re: What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers - Part 1

I was watching TIH last night and there is a scene where Blonsky faces Hulk after he takes the super soldier serum. Blonsky could run like a mutha, so I would imagine Cap could do the same. Shouldn't have taken him too long to get there if he did land a good distance away from them.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #127
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Here's a question. During the IM/ Thor fight, how come Loki didn't escape? He just stayed where Thor left him. The only explanation I can think of for that is that he wanted to be captured, but at least he shouldn't have made it so obvious then by just waiting patiently where he was.
Maybe. But it seemed like he was enjoying the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manowar View Post
I didn't like how Hulk took out the first flying serpent ship with just 1 punch. Hulk didn't have the momentum or weight to be able to stop it in it's tracks like that. It also diminished the overall most dangerous threat in a matter of seconds.
Who cares? It was awesome. Bringing real world physics into play is silly.

And those dragon things weren't that much of a threat, they had no offensive capabilities. They were mainly just transports that took out buildings.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #128
Goliath
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar
And those dragon things weren't that much of a threat, they had no offensive capabilities.
Exactly, they were completely non-threatening. You would expect them to be threatening and the trailers made it look as if it would require the combined efforts of the team to take down. Not so. Just a hard punch and some lightening - easy as pie. Huge stakes there.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #129
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
That's just incredible nit picking looooool. Stuff like that is not even worth thinking about.
I know man .... too bad for them ya know?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #130
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
it makes more sense that he'd be able to convince All-Father Odin to use his energy and get him there.
What the hell is going on with Mjolnir????? Why is it's ability to take Thor just about anywhere is not present????

Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #131
Rock Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Here's a question. During the IM/ Thor fight, how come Loki didn't escape? He just stayed where Thor left him. The only explanation I can think of for that is that he wanted to be captured, but at least he shouldn't have made it so obvious then by just waiting patiently where he was.
Wasn't it obvious he wanted to be captured? I think they made that abundantly clear when he backed down from IM/Cap and furthermore when Fury states that it seemed like Loki was the only person who wanted to be on the Helicarrier.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #132
Rock Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
What the hell is going on with Mjolnir????? Why is it's ability to take Thor just about anywhere is not present????
They have not established that in the MCU ..... that is strictly a trait in the comics right now.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #133
Nokio
Side-Kick

U know guys its been real! I'm done posting on this topic. The movie was awesome in my opinion and the more I Read and begin to pile more and more nitpicks on its just gonna take away from the film for me in future viewings. No movie in history will ever be a 100% perfect and not is everyone gonna like it. Great debates though and most of the complaints have merit.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #134
imdaly
- Part 12

The ONLY complaint I have about this movie is one that I haven't seen or heard anyone else but me noticing....

Nobody said "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE" throughout the entire movie!

I felt like they were building to it when they all gathered for the first time in that circle in the final battle scene....but NOPE!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #135
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

not really a complaint, more like confusion. the bit where thor reatches for his hammer and then pauses and holds his wrist. well, that was...odd.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #136
Rock Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
not really a complaint, more like confusion. the bit where thor reatches for his hammer and then pauses and holds his wrist. well, that was...odd.
Confused?

Not I ..... seemed pretty clear it was a dig deep, gut check kind of moment.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #137
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Confused?

Not I ..... seemed pretty clear it was a dig deep, gut check kind of moment.

nope, confusing. at first I thought he was unsure if he could pick up the hammer. definately going to listen to the commentary on that one

Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #138
Rock Sexton

Quote:
nope, confusing. at first I thought he was unsure if he could pick up the hammer. definately going to listen to the commentary on that one
Listen .... the guy just fell 30,000 feet in a cage, he went a few heavyweight rounds with a powerful green beast, he was fooled by his brother causing Colson's death, and he was in a heated argument with all of the Avengers where he's blamed by Nick Fury for being responsible for all that's transpired moments before the bedlam breaks loose. You don't think that all of of that is going to make someone pause and go "Ok, is this worth all this? Should I really pick the hammer back up and continue fighting?"

I dunno man .... some of you need too much explained to you. Whedon did a masterful job letting the movie speak for itself in many respects.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 05-07-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #139
piccolo
Doom is watching you

I got the same impression as Rock. That was a great introspective moment Thor had.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #140
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

it's not a matter of having things 'spelled out', I saw a whole movie which explored a person's worthiness with regards to lifting the hammer so I assumed thor pausing had something to do with that, there is no need to be condeceeding.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #141
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godman View Post
The movie was riddled with too many comic relief moments that made me forget all about the tragic concepts of all these heroes even having to be heroes. I don't recall a heart wrenching moment once.
I didn't forget the tragic concepts because of the comedy, but that took me miles out of the movie as I was reminded this was just an entertainment.

Quote:
Captain America had lost an entire lifetime of loved ones, friends, family etc, and it had a split second of that. Instead of all the black widow **** and Hawkeye they should have concentrated more on the dark themes to balance the movie and not just make it practically a comedy. Almost EVERY action scene was accompanied by comedy. It felt like Raimi's spiderman that was a comedy with superhero attributes. Thing I like about Wachmen and TDK is that they were dramatic films with comic relief here and there, where as the Marvel line up are comedies with sentiments of the comics.
Comedy turns a bad thing when they feel they need to shove it in every scene or you could be - the horror - losing people's interest.

And much like you, I've also found that in many superhero movies such as Raimi's Spider-man films. The man couldn't do anything without trying to be funny. Sad thing, Raimi didn't have much taste for comedy.

Quote:
I loved ruffalo as Hulk and knew I would. my favorite yet as he was more similar to eric banner's portrayal than Ed Norton's which I just didn't like. Thor/Hulk battle was interesting and one of the best.
Ruffalo was simply magnificent.

Quote:
Also I had a beef with the finale as in it reminded me too much of Transformers 3 plot with the whole portal of aliens coming into the world and the villains having a HUGE snake conquered by the flying here (optimus/Ironman) and the ground action team (Captain America/Bumble bee) and they had to shut down the portal door to save the day.
It looked like TF3 but, hey, it was so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Thor just being able to come and go out of Asgard back to earth kind undoes the ending of his movie, or at least confirms my dislike for the ending.
Yeah, I mentioned this. The whole ending of "Thor" was just erased in a blink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Instead of stranding him in Asgard sad because he can't be with the woman he's known for a week, they should have had him get stranded on Earth, separated from his home and throne.
Ah yes. Truth is I can't even start to think why on Earth and Asgard could Thor be so in love with this shallow little girl he knew for... 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
My problem with it is why do they need Coulson's death to finally realize they can be a team. They showed during the Helicarrier strike that they definitely can full function as a team not counting the Hulk. Loki is about to unleash an army on the world, they know he is going to do this but yet it takes Agent Coulson's death to inspire them. Really?
I think these superheroes had serious ego problems, and that's what made the movie progress for the first half of it. They needed someone else's heroic death to put them in line. Immature, I know, but it was the whole idea.

Quote:
I think posters like yourself are forgetting they're saving some of that material for the solo films.
Not only I don't know but I don't care if they're saving stuff or not. I do know that Capt. America seemed to forget all about it pretty quickly and that's what separates character-driven from action-driven movies.

Quote:
We got the glimpse of how he felt about Peggy when he's in the middle of punching the punching bag and he's having flash backs. That's more than enough for this film.
I don't think one punching session is enough to forget all that you have missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
One other criticism, I wish they included Natalie Portman and figured out a better way to bring Thor back to Earth. The ending of Thor made such a big deal about the gate being destroyed and Jane working to reopen it...the way Odin just created a new gate a few months later (and that it is only even addressed with a quick throw away line) cheapens the ending of Thor. Thor's sacrifice is what made the ending powerful. He gave up what he wanted (to return to Jane), to protect a race that hated him. He had evolved from a vain child to a true king who put others' needs ahead of his own. It should've been harder to overcome that sacrifice and Jane should've played a role in it, IMO.
As much as I agree with you about Thor being suddenly able to come back to Earth, the least thing I want to see ever again is Jane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Guys, this whole thing about how Cap got to Iron Man and Thor....

Deus ex machina.

Also, would this be a debate if it had happened on the pages of a comic, or just in the movie?
I think movies only. Certain things work in comics but not in movies. I quoted Stan Lee on that in my sig.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #142
Rock Sexton

Quote:
it's not a matter of having things 'spelled out', I saw a whole movie which explored a person's worthiness with regards to lifting the hammer so I assumed thor pausing had something to do with that, there is no need to be condeceeding.
That was Thor ..... this is The Avengers. Thor's worthiness was not at stake in this film.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #143
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Nitpicking i sometimes a very special way to show that you really like a film...

Don't get fooled by my nitpicking. I rate Avengers 9/10.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #144
Rock Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Not only I don't know but I don't care if they're saving stuff or not. I do know that Capt. America seemed to forget all about it pretty quickly and that's what separates character-driven from action-driven movies.
This movie is FAR from being strictly action. There were character moments abound as they interacted with each other.

You and I saw two completely different movies.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #145
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
This movie is FAR from being strictly action.

You and I saw two completely different movies.
Totally, it's better than those CGI-filled movies out there. But it skipped many things in order to get to the action. Which was a netural problem, having like 10 stories to follow. That's the problem with putting so many important characters together.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #146
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Did not like the opening scene of the movie. Honestly lost interest as soon as Loki and the Skeletor type guy started jibber jabbering. Thankfully the rest of the movie kicked ass. Hulk was amazing and the banter between the main characters was great.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #147
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

it's never great to open a movie with exposition but it's over in a flash so 'meh'

Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #148
Rock Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Totally, it's better than those CGI-filled movies out there. But it skipped many things in order to get to the action. Which was a netural problem, having like 10 stories to follow. That's the problem with putting so many important characters together.
I'll agree it's definitely a little more complex and you risk making the movie "bloated and indulgent" like Morningstar said in one of his responses.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #149
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaly View Post
The ONLY complaint I have about this movie is one that I haven't seen or heard anyone else but me noticing....

Nobody said "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE" throughout the entire movie!

I felt like they were building to it when they all gathered for the first time in that circle in the final battle scene....but NOPE!
Better to save it for part two. The great thing about this movie is how organically everybody wound up together, there was no cliche 'hey guys let's stop fighting and be a team!' moment. At no point did they collectively think of themselves as The Avengers, once they're back at it again the call will make more sense.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #150
The Guard
Side-Kick

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of The Avengers suddenly banding together over one death like that, and found it more than a little forced. I'd have much preferred to see them, as a team, put aside their differences, through some kind of discussion overwhat was going on, not having to be told what to do. Or, you know, someone could have led them to that realization. Perhaps someone who would emerge as their leader.

And let's be honest...did anyone really believe that bickering was going to prevent them from trying to save the world?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Closed Thread