Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #151
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Personally, I wasn't a big fan of The Avengers suddenly banding together over one death like that, and found it more than a little forced. I'd have much preferred to see them, as a team, put aside their differences, through some kind of discussion overwhat was going on, not having to be told what to do. Or, you know, someone could have led them to that realization. Perhaps someone who would emerge as their leader.

And let's be honest...did anyone really believe that bickering was going to prevent them from trying to save the world?
No, because we had seen them fighting in NYC in the trailers But yea i get what you mean.

I disagree about Coulson's death though. I thought that was really well done. And it wasn't just his death, it was the way Fury manipulated them, gave them the whole "guilt trip" thing with his collectors cards. That's pure Nick Fury, completely duplicitous, but for the greater good. He's a means to an end kind of guy. Stark's line "WE ARE NOT SOLDIERS" was great, well delivered by RDJ.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #152
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Agreed above.

How is Whedon so awesome?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #153
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree about Coulson's death though. I thought that was really well done. And it wasn't just his death, it was the way Fury manipulated them, gave them the whole "guilt trip" thing with his collectors cards. That's pure Nick Fury, completely duplicitous, but for the greater good. He's a means to an end kind of guy. Stark's line "WE ARE NOT SOLDIERS" was great, well delivered by RDJ.
I don't have a problem with Fury manipulating. I have a problem with the mechanism of it being so cheap and forced. More to the point, I have a problem with The Avengers NEEDING to be manipulated in that particular way.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #154
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Fury manipulating. I have a problem with the mechanism of it being so cheap and forced. More to the point, I have a problem with The Avengers NEEDING to be manipulated in that particular way.
]

I get ya. But the seeds were already planted before that. The main problems were with Stark and Cap, but in the attack they showed some team work, they showed that when the **** hits the fan, they will work together despite their differences.

Coulson's death and Fury's manipulation just hammered the point home for them. Thor already had motivation for helping. Black Widow and Hawkeye got back together. Banner i think it was Stark's words to him before the attack. And also the significance of the security guard who discovered him in the rubble can't be overlooked. He saw him as Hulk, saw him change back to Banner. But he was just like "So what?" I think that helped Banner come to some acceptance. This person saw his secret, but wasn't scared or horrified, in fact he helped him buy giving him clothes.

Last edited by The Morningstar; 05-07-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #155
TTFN
Side-Kick

Quote:
Personally, I wasn't a big fan of The Avengers suddenly banding together over one death like that, and found it more than a little forced. I'd have much preferred to see them, as a team, put aside their differences, through some kind of discussion overwhat was going on, not having to be told what to do. Or, you know, someone could have led them to that realization. Perhaps someone who would emerge as their leader.

And let's be honest...did anyone really believe that bickering was going to prevent them from trying to save the world?
It's why I thought Coulson's death fell flat. The only one that seemed to have organic feelings toward it was Thor which is probably because he watched it and his brother did it but then he was shot out in his glass cage so that was that.

Not only did I never think their bickering wouldn't prevent them from saving the world but I never thought Loki really had a chance at taking it over so they could have half assed it as far as I'm concerned. The motivation was meh at best for me although the action was great.

I was only ever emotionally connected to Cap, BW and Hawkeye.

ETA I wanted Coulson to tell Loki that his plan wasn't going to work because he was a loser who would always lose and not because he lacked conviction (wasn't that the word?). LOL An L on his forehead aimed at Loki as he slipped into the abyss would have been poetic.

Last edited by TTFN; 05-07-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #156
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Coulson's death was better the second time I watched the film. The first time, everything is just coming so fast at you because of how long you've been waiting to see the movie. Another viewing allows some moments in the film to settle in differently.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #157
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
All IMAX 3D really means is that the mediocre post-conversion process is now blown up on a bigger screen.
Post converted? Well crap.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #158
The Morningstar
Banned User

Avengers is the best post converted 3D there is, for what it's worth. My 3D viewing was fine, and i usually hate 3D. There was certain shots, with Iron Man flying in New York in particular, that were just... mind blowing.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #159
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Now that I have had a few days to settle down after seeing it Friday, The one glaring thing I didn't like was the whole 'hive mind' concept at the end when all the Chitauri just collapse after the MotherShip gets blown up. Very unoriginal, imho.

But, that hardly ruined things for me. This movie was amazing.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #160
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I think that was the idea. They're far from being ideal heroes. It's like when Peter Parker needed to feel guilty for Uncle Ben's death in order to become a hero.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #161
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

the post conversion was good for this movie. but I am definately looking forward to ASM which is FILMED in 3D.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #162
The Morningstar
Banned User

Prometheus baby. Ridley Scott + sci fi + 3D cameras = most visually stunning film ever? Don't bet against it.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #163
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Coulson's death was better the second time I watched the film. The first time, everything is just coming so fast at you because of how long you've been waiting to see the movie. Another viewing allows some moments in the film to settle in differently.
the whole time he was dying, I was like, 'are they? are they really? naw? no? no way?'
I'm surprised they went there but that what whedon does all the time.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #164
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Prometheus baby. Ridley Scott + sci fi + 3D cameras = most visually stunning film ever? Don't bet against it.
got my IMAX 3D tickets booked

Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #165
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Avengers is the best post converted 3D there is, for what it's worth. My 3D viewing was fine, and i usually hate 3D. There was certain shots, with Iron Man flying in New York in particular, that were just... mind blowing.
Same dude .... my two IMAX 3D viewings were freaking stellar.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #166
The Morningstar
Banned User

The shot where the camera seems to be attached to IM as he's watching a Leviathan tearing through the city in particular was insane. I actually felt like i was sitting there on his shoulders as he was flying along. It was truly immersive.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #167
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

screw the haters of 3D, I freaking LOVE it. and I always watch a movie in 3D if it has the option.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #168
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
The shot where the camera seems to be attached to IM as he's watching a Leviathan tearing through the city in particular was insane. I actually felt like i was sitting there on his shoulders as he was flying along. It was truly immersive.
that's a teriffic sequence. I'm going to melt my blu ray players rewatching all the great scenes in avengers.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #169
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
that's a teriffic sequence. I'm going to melt my blu ray players rewatching all the great scenes in avengers.
Heck, I might need one of those new 3D flat screens to be able to watch The Avengers on BluRay or DVD.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #170
The Morningstar
Banned User

I also loved how whenever it had those shots of Stark's face inside the armour, the HUD was closer to us. Real depth.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #171
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I also loved how whenever it had those shots of Stark's face inside the armour, the HUD was closer to us. Real depth.
It was all about the immersion and depth for me.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #172
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Heck, I might need one of those new 3D flat screens to be able to watch The Avengers on BluRay or DVD.

if ASM blows me away then I'm making the jump to HD3D tv

Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #173
jacobed
Banned User

I thought the 3d was alright but unneccessary and for the most part unnoticed. There were a few times during the last battle that gave me a headache.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #174
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I thought the 3d was alright but unneccessary and for the most part unnoticed. There were a few times during the last battle that gave me a headache.
Did you see it in regular 3D or IMAX?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #175
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because Loki is no where near as strong as Thor. Loki isn't even a full Asgardian. Thor always holds back with Loki, because he loves him. But when he really loses his ****, he dominates him, like on Stark Tower after Loki stabbed him.
More importantly, when Loki fought Thor, Loki was fresh. When Loki "fought" the Hulk, he had already done a knock down drag out brawl with Thor, lost his scepter, and took an exploding arrow and ensuing fall to the face. He was tired, injured, and disarmed, it only makes sense he'd do worse.

Closed Thread