The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #251
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
^ They never said Asgardian weapons was advanced tech, I think people are misinterpreting the "magic and science are one and the same" line.

That's basically saying "science to you is what magic is to us", so I don't see where people are getting this "advanced tech" stuff from.
The destroyer was enchanted armor. ENCHANTED. It died. Enchantment gone. They shouldn't be able to make weapons from it. At that point, it just just a giant piece of armor.

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #252
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
I wonder if we'll get the Donald Blake persona in Thor 2?
Let's leave him in the comic books, I like Thor better when he's just Thor.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #253
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

yup. we don't need a secret identity

Old 05-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #254
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Double Post...

So are we to assume that Thor is a god in the MCU??? I get the feeling Stark referring to Thor as a "demigod" was just kinda like, through this out of my hat. We heard Loki say "I am a God!" Black Widow "You might want to sit this one out Cap, these guys are from legend, they're basically gods". And at the end, nick fury "I just didn't argue with the God that did".

Speaking of that, who does the council think they are!? When Samuel L Jackson says the god thing, he is like "and you let him take the tesseraact, and the war criminal Loki, who should be facing for his crimes". Really? Really? What do you expect to do? Loki is a God. Thor is a god. What kind of arrogance must they have if he thinks that their decisions should over rule Thors??

Did that bother anyone else? Not bother as in, a movie flaw, bother as in, what the hell is wrong with you councilman!?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #255
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

I don't believe they're gods in the MCU, but I'm fine with them being referred to as such. As for the Council wanting to keep Loki and not let Thor take him away, that's just typical political aggrandizement. In stories such as this, people in places of authority on Earth think that makes them something special, even when confronted with beings far more powerful than themselves.

I mean, granted, Loki did commit criminal acts on Earth and against human beings, but his crimes against Asgard supersede them, I'd say.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #256
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Double Post...

So are we to assume that Thor is a god in the MCU??? I get the feeling Stark referring to Thor as a "demigod" was just kinda like, through this out of my hat. We heard Loki say "I am a God!" Black Widow "You might want to sit this one out Cap, these guys are from legend, they're basically gods". And at the end, nick fury "I just didn't argue with the God that did".

Speaking of that, who does the council think they are!? When Samuel L Jackson says the god thing, he is like "and you let him take the tesseraact, and the war criminal Loki, who should be facing for his crimes". Really? Really? What do you expect to do? Loki is a God. Thor is a god. What kind of arrogance must they have if he thinks that their decisions should over rule Thors??

Did that bother anyone else? Not bother as in, a movie flaw, bother as in, what the hell is wrong with you councilman!?
They are basically the same they've ever been in comics: extra-dimensional, immortal beings who were once worshipped as deities by people of earth. So, yes, they are gods.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #257
BrollySupersj
Burning RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
They are basically the same they've ever been in comics: extra-dimensional, immortal beings who were once worshipped as deities by people of earth. So, yes, they are gods.

Sure not as strong as one though.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #258
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
Sure not as strong as one though.
It depends on which god we're speaking about.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #259
Bren
Forevernoob

I thought there was magic done in Thor, but I didn't see anything to adequately state the Destroyer armour was enchanted... And I couldn't see inside it properly to say no, it's empty inside.

Again, there's never a problem with different opinions, only problems with people who ridicule others' opinions...

I think 'given enough time' the observatory in Thor could be duplicated by Man. We saw the gears, the sword was a key etc. Since imo the Destroyer COULD have been a machine, well it could have been done...

Of course, I'd prefer it to all just be magic

Last edited by Bren; 05-13-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #260
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Given that Thor's introduction into the MCU started with him desiring to become the King that would make his father proud, I'm confident that we'll see him ascend to the throne at some point in the series.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #261
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

the usual superhero cliqué is to make the hero lose his power in the sequel seeing as they did that in the debut movie I'm hoping they can give thor a threat which doesn't resort to him being depowered.

an easy and wrote storyline for thor 2 would be having jane come to turns with the terms with the man she loves never growing old and the thor coming to terms with the women he loves eventually growing old and dying. yes, it sounds interesting and personal but we've SEEN IT before (highlander). I hoping they introduce an epic storyline like for instance; twlight of the gods
where surter rises to power.

don't set it earth, I HATED the earth section of the thor movie. slow, ponderous, uninteresting. didn't believe for one second by the super intelligence of portman, didn't buy the chemistry between here and hemsworth.
ditch earth, it's not needed for the sequel.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #262
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
the usual superhero cliqué is to make the hero lose his power in the sequel seeing as they did that in the debut movie I'm hoping they can give thor a threat which doesn't resort to him being depowered.

an easy and wrote storyline for thor 2 would be having jane come to turns with the terms with the man she loves never growing old and the thor coming to terms with the women he loves eventually growing old and dying. yes, it sounds interesting and personal but we've SEEN IT before (highlander). I hoping they introduce an epic storyline like for instance; twlight of the gods
where surter rises to power.

don't set it earth, I HATED the earth section of the thor movie. slow, ponderous, uninteresting. didn't believe for one second by the super intelligence of portman, didn't buy the chemistry between here and hemsworth.
ditch earth, it's not needed for the sequel.
1. I think we've also seen that "Old Mortal Age vs Longevity" issue shown in films like "LOTR" as well when it came to Aragorn and Arwen.

2. Given that Feige and others have said that Thor 2 will take place in the nine realms, I doubt that we'll spend much time on Earth. If anything, I'd argue that the only time that we'll see Thor on Earth is when he goes to pick up Jane and bring her to Asgard for awhile.

3. In regards to "Superhero Formula", it's only been the CR Superman films and Sam Raimi Spiderman Films where where they've followed it with the first film dealing with the origins, the second film dealing with the hero being depowered in order to pursue their love interest, and the third film showing the supposed darker side of the character (and ironically both were horribly executed as well in different ways.lol)

I don't think we'll get that in Thor's singular franchise. The good thing about Thor's development is that he also gets to use his time spent on the Avengers films as a means of developing in new ways as well.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #263
Fifthchild
Side-Kick

Quote:
^ They never said Asgardian weapons was advanced tech, I think people are misinterpreting the "magic and science are one and the same" line.

That's basically saying "science to you is what magic is to us", so I don't see where people are getting this "advanced tech" stuff from.
That wasn't the original intention. Marvel had a universe where Iron Man was their most successful character and were probably quite wary of how some might react to the idea of a film about "Gods" running around as heroes. They went to quite a bit of trouble to get across the idea that these were aliens who our ancestors believed were Gods. Once Thor was out in the wild and successful and nobody seemed to care about how him and Iron Man could exist in the same universe they became a lot more relaxed about the whole God/science/magic thing. But originally its pretty clear all that "To us they are one and the same" stuff was a way to explain away all the Asgardian magic as some form of super-technology.

"In January 2010, Kevin Feige was asked if it will be difficult to meld the fantasy of Thor with the high-tech science fiction in Iron Man and The Avengers. "No," he said, "because we're doing the Jack Kirby/Stan Lee/Walt Simonson/J. Michael Straczynski Thor. We're not doing the blow-the-dust-off-of-the-old-Norse-book-in-your-library Thor. And in the Thor of the Marvel Universe, there's a race called the Asgardians. And we're linked through this Tree of Life that we're unaware of. It's real science, but we don't know about it yet. The 'Thor' movie is about teaching people that"."

Fifthchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #264
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Double Post...

Honestly? No. To the Government these guys are probably just more aliens. Hence why they started developing methods to combat them using the cosmic cube in the first place. To the government the Asgardians might as well be the Chitauri after that whole Destroyer fiasco. Loki LEADING the Chitauri probably did not help.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #265
metaphysician
Side-Kick

You know what I'd like to see in Thor 2? Presuming that Thor is on Earth long enough to meet Jane Foster again, I'd like one scene of him being a super hero en route. Thor, flying along to Jane's new locale, passes by a ship in danger/bank robbery ongoing/minor rampaging supervillain, and intervenes, before finishing the journey.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #266
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

That sounds too much like Spider-Man. With Thor, the action should be saved for other high powered other-dimensional beings.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #267
Nathan

I think we shouldn't see Thor on earth again, either until Avengers 2 or Thor 3.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #268
hafizbat
Side-Kick

As for the whole science vs magic thing, don't forget the role of CA:TFA and the tesseract. Remember the Red Skull was trying to tap into that power, and he many times refers to it as science, IIRC.

I believe one of the Nazis asks him "You still believe in your magic fairy tales?" and Schmitt replies "Not magic, science. But I don't expect a man of your caliber to understand." He then proceeds to kill them lol

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #269
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
As for the whole science vs magic thing, don't forget the role of CA:TFA and the tesseract. Remember the Red Skull was trying to tap into that power, and he many times refers to it as science, IIRC.

I believe one of the Nazis asks him "You still believe in your magic fairy tales?" and Schmitt replies "Not magic, science. But I don't expect a man of your caliber to understand." He then proceeds to kill them lol
The way that the "magic" phrase is used is more like them mocking it as make-believe.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #270
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let's leave him in the comic books, I like Thor better when he's just Thor.
Using Don Blake in the funny way they did in Thor 1 was perfect. No need to give him that permanently.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #271
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
The way that the "magic" phrase is used is more like them mocking it as make-believe.
I think that's how the whole world views it but a guy like Red Skull was ahead of his time enough to realize that this is all cold, hard science at the end of the day.

Speaking of science so advanced that it looks like magic, here's hoping for an appearance from Kang The Conqueror someday.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #272
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Well, I've just started randomly watching this movie on cable, and look who it is in it, playing the bad guy. Chris Hemsworth, or, at least I got a bad vibe from him, from the tone of his voice. It's called A Perfect Getaway. Has Milla Jovovich and Steve Zahn in it (I like Zahn) and Timothy Olymphant, someone else I like.

HAHAHA, too weird, this movie was released in 2009, and there is a scene in it where Timothy Olymphant's character is talking about Ironman and The Avengers.

Last edited by warhorse78; 05-13-2012 at 12:37 PM.
warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #273
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Loved Thor in this movie. One thing I really liked was how he was saved towards the end of the first act. It's part of the plot and structure that i really loved from Whedon. Instead of shoving everyone in together at the beginning to get the ball rolling, the story lead the way to when the characters would be introduced. And in the meantime, you're caught up with those characters that you're looking at then. Though I was wondering where Thor was before he showed up, in retrospect, I loved the way it was all handled.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #274
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
The destroyer was enchanted armor. ENCHANTED. It died. Enchantment gone. They shouldn't be able to make weapons from it. At that point, it just just a giant piece of armor.
But where does it say that? It doesn't.

Quote:
I believe he said "You're ancestors called it magic and you call it science", that still doesn't prove that it's not magic.

That's basically just leaving it open for interpretation.
How BigThor? Thor basically says that humanity has attributed two signifiers to the same signified. The object of description does not change. You call nappies diapers but they are still the same object.

Quote:
I was watching this last month and I realized the Thor in this film is "King Thor", complete with his badass armor and the Odin Force.

He was an Enchantress manipulated puppet tyrant, hardly badass

And I reject all future Marvel timelines, they are all varying degrees of crap. Future What Ifs and nothing more.

Last edited by 04nbod; 05-13-2012 at 01:31 PM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #275
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

I thought Thor's conversation with Agent Phil Coulson about Bilchsteim was pretty funny. Just a nice friendly bit of conversation before all hell eventually breaks loose.

5-.-2-.-14

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote