The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #276
samsnee
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

So did Thor realize he could have killed Cap in their first scene? I assume he didn't know that Cap's shield could absorb his hit, but it seems unlike Thor to kill someone in cold blood, even if he was only trying to get his brother back.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #277
Avenger25
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

Just out of interest can Thor fly without the Hammer I mean I assume so because I don't remember seeing the hammer when he saved black widow from hulk but it was so quick I can't be to sure.

Avenger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #278
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
So did Thor realize he could have killed Cap in their first scene? I assume he didn't know that Cap's shield could absorb his hit, but it seems unlike Thor to kill someone in cold blood, even if he was only trying to get his brother back.
Well, Thor was just in an intense battle with someone who could take those hits and actually put up a fight, and Cap doesn't exactly look weak, so he probably didn't see him as a civilian and therefore attacked him. Also, he probably figured no mere mortal would ever challenge him like that.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #279
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
He was an Enchantress manipulated puppet tyrant, hardly badass

And I reject all future Marvel timelines, they are all varying degrees of crap. Future What Ifs and nothing more.
Well she was his wife at the time, plus I'm not talking about a silly relationship I'm talking about his actual power and feats.

I never said they should use this storyline, I merely stated that I would like to see King Thor himself appear in the Thor films.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #280
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger25 View Post
Just out of interest can Thor fly without the Hammer I mean I assume so because I don't remember seeing the hammer when he saved black widow from hulk but it was so quick I can't be to sure.
Thor can't fly without Mjolnir. He leaped into the Hulk and they crashed through a wall in the scene you're talking about.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #281
DarbyD53
Side-Kick

SOrry if I missed this. I read the last 11-12 pages or so and didn't see this asked/answered. We can't figure out
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
why does Thor walk to find his hammer in the field and why when he holds his hand for it, it doesn't come.
thanks in advance for any reply. We thought we missed something in first viewing but after rewatching this weekend can't figure it out.

Last edited by DarbyD53; 05-13-2012 at 07:41 PM.
DarbyD53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #282
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyD53 View Post
SOrry if I missed this. I read the last 11-12 pages or so and didn't see this asked/answered. We can't figure out
why does Thor walk to find his hammer in the field and why when he holds his hand for it, it doesn't come.
thanks in advance for any reply. We thought we missed something in first viewing but after rewatching this weekend can't figure it out.
I just took it as a moment where he is grieving to all the horrors his brother has caused.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #283
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyD53 View Post
I didn't take it as - he summoned it and it didn't come - but as he was about to summon it, or simply reach for it....then started thinking about what had just transpired and how Loki had just attempted to kill him and how he may have to use the hammer and that hand to actually kill Loki.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #284
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Hemsworth was great in this. He probably gets overlooked alot because his role wasn't so huge. Or should I say, he didn't get the most screen time. He had an important role

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #285
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I didn't take it as - he summoned it and it didn't come - but as he was about to summon it, or simply reach for it....then started thinking about what had just transpired and how Loki had just attempted to kill him and how he may have to use the hammer and that hand to actually kill Loki.
Same here

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #286
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Hemsworth was great in this. He probably gets overlooked alot because his role wasn't so huge. Or should I say, he didn't get the most screen time. He had an important role
Agreed.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #287
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

If the film had more time to spare, do you guys think that the film could have worked with showing a scene or two at the beginning of Thor investigating on what Loki was doing with the Chi'tari and how he learned about their existence before he made his return to Earth?

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #288
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Nah, I prefer Thor's complete WTF introduction from the other members when he just comes out of nowhere and steals Loki without even a word.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #289
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post

I actually thought that moment was slightly forced. Not a big deal, but it did feel to me like a moment that didn't really flow from the character interactions. I could feel the strings being pulled so that Thor would hit Cap's shield.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #290
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Nah, I prefer Thor's complete WTF introduction from the other members when he just comes out of nowhere and steals Loki without even a word.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
I actually thought that moment was slightly forced. Not a big deal, but it did feel to me like a moment that didn't really flow from the character interactions. I could feel the strings being pulled so that Thor would hit Cap's shield.
Yeah the main point of that scene was just to show what would happen if Mjolnir hit Cap's shield.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #291
metaphysician
Side-Kick

You know, on the whole matter of "science vs magic". . . its really somewhat of two completely unrelated questions. A lot of you are using "science" to mean "involving tools," which is not really accurate: "science" is simply "examining the world in a rational manner in order to understand it." The tools and technology of modern life aren't science, they are simply one product of it.

So, it depends on what you mean by "magic." Do you mean "not understandable by science"? Very little magic in fiction actually would fit this criterion, as it behaves according to rules that can be learned by humans. Do you mean "not dependent on physical, mechanistic tools"? If so, then its totally possible for it to be "magic" *and* "science", in the sense that it is magical powers not dependent on physical tools, that nonetheless follow rules that are studied and understood.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #292
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

Thor should feel honoured to get caught up in a Guardian Charlie Brooker rant about popular culture ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...opular-culture

This week I'm going to carve out a few hours and go see the Avengers movie, which I understand is wildly popular, just so I can feel more in touch with my fellow man. I've already done my homework by attempting to sit through Kenneth Branagh's Thor (2011). If you haven't seen Thor, it's a "motion picture" in which a Swap Shop-era Noel Edmonds wanders around claiming to be a Norse god and waving a hammer. He also kisses Natalie Portman on the hand. He's a dick. The film cost $150m to make and is less entertaining than an episode of To Build Or Not To Build. The last 20 minutes consist entirely of shouting and lights and made me feel so infinitely tired, my mind left my body and manifested itself as a small clear crystal floating beyond space and time. Unless I dreamt that bit. It is the worst film that has ever co-starred Anthony Hopkins and Stellan Skarsgård, unless they've teamed up to make Vileda Supermop: the Movie while I was sleeping. I've been told it's not essential to have seen Thor in order to enjoy The Avengers, but it helps. I guess I'll get a lot more out of it now I understand Thor's complex relationship with his brother Loki, who I also couldn't give a **** about.

itchyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #293
Gamma Burst
Banned User

From blu-ray.com, top 10 sellers:

1. TRON: Legacy
2. Thor
3. Underworld: Awakening
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Iron Man 2

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #294
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Well she was his wife at the time, plus I'm not talking about a silly relationship I'm talking about his actual power and feats.

I never said they should use this storyline, I merely stated that I would like to see King Thor himself appear in the Thor films.
I stand by what I said. He was a puppet and a puppet can't stand on its own two legs never mind be badass. Its always the puppetmaster that gets the credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyscratch View Post
Thor should feel honoured to get caught up in a Guardian Charlie Brooker rant about popular culture ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...opular-culture

This week I'm going to carve out a few hours and go see the Avengers movie, which I understand is wildly popular, just so I can feel more in touch with my fellow man. I've already done my homework by attempting to sit through Kenneth Branagh's Thor (2011). If you haven't seen Thor, it's a "motion picture" in which a Swap Shop-era Noel Edmonds wanders around claiming to be a Norse god and waving a hammer. He also kisses Natalie Portman on the hand. He's a dick. The film cost $150m to make and is less entertaining than an episode of To Build Or Not To Build. The last 20 minutes consist entirely of shouting and lights and made me feel so infinitely tired, my mind left my body and manifested itself as a small clear crystal floating beyond space and time. Unless I dreamt that bit. It is the worst film that has ever co-starred Anthony Hopkins and Stellan Skarsgård, unless they've teamed up to make Vileda Supermop: the Movie while I was sleeping. I've been told it's not essential to have seen Thor in order to enjoy The Avengers, but it helps. I guess I'll get a lot more out of it now I understand Thor's complex relationship with his brother Loki, who I also couldn't give a **** about.
He finished it? He was saying on Twitter he was going to watch BBC4 instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
You know, on the whole matter of "science vs magic". . . its really somewhat of two completely unrelated questions. A lot of you are using "science" to mean "involving tools," which is not really accurate: "science" is simply "examining the world in a rational manner in order to understand it." The tools and technology of modern life aren't science, they are simply one product of it.

So, it depends on what you mean by "magic." Do you mean "not understandable by science"? Very little magic in fiction actually would fit this criterion, as it behaves according to rules that can be learned by humans. Do you mean "not dependent on physical, mechanistic tools"? If so, then its totally possible for it to be "magic" *and* "science", in the sense that it is magical powers not dependent on physical tools, that nonetheless follow rules that are studied and understood.
Magic in our context in the whole destroyer debate is the idea that it stands and walks and blasts merely because it is willed to. That the destroyer can move without any mechanism to do so.

Last edited by 04nbod; 05-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #295
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
I stand by what I said. He was a puppet and a puppet can't stand on its own two legs never mind be badass. Its always the puppetmaster that gets the credit
Then Enchantress was incredibly badass.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #296
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Then Enchantress was incredibly badass.
Indeed she was.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #297
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Magic in our context in the whole destroyer debate is the idea that it stands and walks and blasts merely because it is willed to. That the destroyer can move without any mechanism to do so.
See, that's the thing: there's no reason to believe there *isn't* a mechanism to do so. The fact that it does, in fact, move and walk and blast is itself evidence for it having a mechanism to do so. Is that mechanism actuators and gears and pistons? No, obviously not. But it doesn't have to be.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #298
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
See, that's the thing: there's no reason to believe there *isn't* a mechanism to do so. The fact that it does, in fact, move and walk and blast is itself evidence for it having a mechanism to do so. Is that mechanism actuators and gears and pistons? No, obviously not. But it doesn't have to be.
There ISN"T any mechanical stuff IN Destroyer. It was mentioned somewhere movie-wise that the ARMOUR is Hollow and Filled the the Odin-Force energy. Basically Odin has but to THINK to control it. Tho I personally think His Spear controls that energy or Loki wouldn't have been able to use Destroyer.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #299
The Guard
Side-Kick

I feel like you can look at The Destroyer and see that it's supposed to be implied that the thing is an empty suit of armor.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #300
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Double Post...

So are we to assume that Thor is a god in the MCU??? I get the feeling Stark referring to Thor as a "demigod" was just kinda like, through this out of my hat. We heard Loki say "I am a God!" Black Widow "You might want to sit this one out Cap, these guys are from legend, they're basically gods". And at the end, nick fury "I just didn't argue with the God that did".

Speaking of that, who does the council think they are!? When Samuel L Jackson says the god thing, he is like "and you let him take the tesseraact, and the war criminal Loki, who should be facing for his crimes". Really? Really? What do you expect to do? Loki is a God. Thor is a god. What kind of arrogance must they have if he thinks that their decisions should over rule Thors??

Did that bother anyone else? Not bother as in, a movie flaw, bother as in, what the hell is wrong with you councilman!?

Nothing about that exchange bothered me because Thor and Loki aren't gods, they are aliens. Aliens who brought death and devastation to the Earth, I might add. Even Fury referred to them as such when he was explaining that he developed WMDs based on the Tesseract because they destroyed Puente Antiguo. It was only natural for the WSC to want to see Loki punished on Earth for his crimes, just as they would for anyone who committed crimes against humanity. Thor was the arrogant one, assuming that the lives and rights of human beings are less meaningful than that of his warped, serial killer brother.

I daresay the council would have preferred a secret tribunal try and convict Loki, and then to have the military spend a few decades trying to find creative (and painful) ways to execute him. And why not? He killed thousands of innocent civilians so he deserves the same in return.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote