The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #126
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

..........Science class in the Thor threads.........that's actually not a first.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #127
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

WHY are we over thinking these things guys? Magic just can't be explained away that easy lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #128
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Thor probably got out of the way of the Jets bullets simply because he didn't want to get hurt. Who says that just because you're bulletproof, bullets don't hurt at all? And why get shot if you don't have to?
That's what I'm thinking after we've seen that Thor is more durable than IM's armor, it's safe to assume that those jet bullets probably can't penetrate Thor's skin.

Plus, Thor isn't the Hulk he's a trained warrior which means if he can prevent himself from taking any potential damage or pain he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirMan82 View Post
Jet guns can be upwards of 25mm, while most assault rifles are 5.56mm or 7.62mm. The jet rounds are larger and travel much faster than small arms. Most likely, it would have stung Thor quite a bit.
Yeah I agree on that, also Thor hasn't gone up against jet fire before so he probably dived out of pure caution.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 05-11-2012 at 01:27 PM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #129
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
That's absolutely not true,and it makes no sense. He was struggling hard to escape the cage so that he wouldn't land on the ground at full speed.
He did it so, flying in a direction almost perpendicular to the one he was falling.
Of course that the vertical component of the speed was so huge that he still hit the ground hard.
Makes no sense? From what I recall, before the cage was about to hit the ground, he put his legs against the part of the cage that was farthest from the ground, and then pushed off, and went out the bottom of the cage, passing the cage's falling velocity, in order to get out the bottom? Unless I remember the part of the cage he got out of wrong?

Either way, whether I remember wrong or not, what I said makes perfect sense. From a physics standpoint/

But I guess I just remember it wrong :P

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #130
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Yeah, the whole reason he was so desperate to escape the cage was because directly colliding with the Earth like that would have seriously f***ed him up. Flying out sideways saved him, if not from death, then from serious injury.
Oh it was sideways?? Okay.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #131
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
According to basic physics he didn't do a thing to help him, apart from landing on soil instead of metal. He jumps out (if he flew he would have landed further away from the cage, nor would he have landed head first) sideways, which does absolutely nothing to change the force downwards. The only way he changes the speed of his fall is if he jumps up.

But, as I always say, the laws of physics shouldn't be taken into account too much when superheroes are around. For example, things like Hulk punching the leviathan would cause Hulk to fly away because he has so little mass compared to the leviathan, and the force he's producing. And even if he didn't fly away he wouldn't have been able to cause enough traction with his feet to slow it down like he did.
Exactly my point. He didn't slow down, he just saved himself from debris.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #132
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Whether he landed sideways, fell straight down, or crashed in the cage he still survived falling 5 miles unharmed which is VERY impressive.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #133
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Or magic from the staff.
strongly disagree. I thought it was pretty clear that they were bouncing off him.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #134
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Post Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
strongly disagree. I thought it was pretty clear that they were bouncing off him.
Same here, I've seen the film three times and those bullets were definately bouncing off of him.

What is it with people not wanting to accept the fact that Asgardians are bulletproof?

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #135
The Guard
Side-Kick

I think I would have preferred to see a panicking Thor, not sure of his own invulnerability...kind of freaking out a little bit, and unable to escape the cage before it hits the ground.

And then, when the dust clears from the fall...

He's alive. But he's hurt. Because he's vulnerable. And he's hurt by what Loki did.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #136
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
But in the matter of physics, wouldn't Thor have dissipated the energy from traveling at terminal velocity by exerting force in another direction and bursting from the cage? Whatever amount of energy built up would be mostly have been spent by bursting out of the cage, right? It would be like dropping a ball from a roof, then hitting it before it touched the ground. The ball would then hit the ground with only the force you applied to it because the force from the fall was exerted when you hit it.
I see as inertia. The force he generated at that moment would have had to over come the velocity at which he was falling, in order for it to be a complete change in direction. Since he was falling at that rate of speed, all he did was change the angle of his fall, opposed to changing the direction. The outside force acting upon his fall (him pushing off the wall of it) was not great enough to over come his fall. His push would have had to exert enough energy to pass the earth's escape velocity.

Ugh Mr. Murphy and your physics class in high school.

Why are we even talking about this? lol

Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #137
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
lol that was the FANGIRLS bouncing off.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #138
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol that was the FANGIRLS bouncing off.

OMG THE LOKI FANGIRLS!

THIS ISN'T TWILIGHT. YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE SEEN "TEAM LOKI" i LOVE LOKI!! "OH OH I WANT TEAM LOKI" "I WANT THEM TO HUG AND MAKE UP"

SHUT UP SHUT UP. HOLY CHRIST. READ A COMIC BOOK. THERE IS NOTHING ADORABLE ABOUT LOKI. IM READY TO CRACK SOMENECKS

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

THIS IS JON ANGRY

-____________-

Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #139
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

.........do you realize how many fangirls there are on this section of the forum??

lol.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #140
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #141
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

lol INDEED tho a few we're safe from seeing as they're across the pond. lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #142
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
OMG THE LOKI FANGIRLS!

THIS ISN'T TWILIGHT. YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE SEEN "TEAM LOKI" i LOVE LOKI!! "OH OH I WANT TEAM LOKI" "I WANT THEM TO HUG AND MAKE UP"

SHUT UP SHUT UP. HOLY CHRIST. READ A COMIC BOOK. THERE IS NOTHING ADORABLE ABOUT LOKI. IM READY TO CRACK SOMENECKS....

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #143
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

its annoying as hell. it really is.

dont judge me guys.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #144
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
.........do you realize how many fangirls there are on this section of the forum??

lol.

I mean the extreme fangirls, the ones who treat him like a twilight character....here? :X

Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #145
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

The Loki hype is everywhere.

The 50 year old woman I work with at the train station, who is completely unfamiliar with anything comic-related, saw Avengers last weekend with her family and now has Loki as her desktop background.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #146
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
I mean the extreme fangirls, the ones who treat him like a twilight character....here? :X
Okay, THOSE fangirls I agree go overboard (and give the rest of us fangirls a bad name - the things they tweet to the guy *shudder*)

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #147
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
But in the matter of physics, wouldn't Thor have dissipated the energy from traveling at terminal velocity by exerting force in another direction and bursting from the cage? Whatever amount of energy built up would be mostly have been spent by bursting out of the cage, right? It would be like dropping a ball from a roof, then hitting it before it touched the ground. The ball would then hit the ground with only the force you applied to it because the force from the fall was exerted when you hit it.
No, because Thor didn't exert any force in the opposing direction of the fall. He jumps to the side, basically sending himself one way and the cage another (but it has more mass and won't move as much) but still with the same force dragging them towards the ground.

The ball example is hard to get exactly the same since there are lesser forces and masses at play, so just the time your hand is applying force to the ball it will also generate traction that counteracts the force of gravity. There's no such traction effect from Thor jumping because he's already travelling at the same speed and both are at maximum air resistance so that doesn't change after he makes it out either. If your hand is falling at the exact same speed as the ball at the time it's forcing it to the side, then it's an applicable example and the ball will fall with the exact same impact as if you didn't affect it.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #148
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

....I have a daughter who's a Batfan AND glampire fan who's NOTHING like that, tho she DID have a huge Thing for Orlando Bloom as Legolas

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #149
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
The Loki hype is everywhere.

The 50 year old woman I work with at the train station, who is completely unfamiliar with anything comic-related, saw Avengers last weekend with her family and now has Loki as her desktop background.

ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Loki is one of Marvel's most evil villians. And a personal favorite of mine, second to Thanos. To see fangirls gushing over him, to me is just disgusting. Because there is nothing adorable about Loki. He is menacing, and evil.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #150
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Tom plays him extraordinarily well.

But he also has the smooth voice and charming smile. That's what the woman I work with said she loved about him.