The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #151
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
Okay, THOSE fangirls I agree go overboard (and give the rest of us fangirls a bad name - the things they tweet to the guy *shudder*)

okay, I am sorry. I should have clarified. By fangirls, I did not mean anyone on this forum. By fangirls, I mean.....FANGIRLS...them...you get what I mean.

an they don't give you guys a bad name haha. They give themselves a bad name. There is a difference between being a fangirl, who is a fangirl (you guys) and being a "fangirl" who is infatuated more so by the actor, than the character

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #152
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

Nice save dude ;-)

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #153
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
No, because Thor didn't exert any force in the opposing direction of the fall. He jumps to the side, basically sending himself one way and the cage another (but it has more mass and won't move as much) but still with the same force dragging them towards the ground.

The ball example is hard to get exactly the same since there are lesser forces and masses at play, so just the time your hand is applying force to the ball it will also generate traction that counteracts the force of gravity. There's no such traction effect from Thor jumping because he's already travelling at the same speed and both are at maximum air resistance so that doesn't change after he makes it out either. If your hand is falling at the exact same speed as the ball at the time it's forcing it to the side, then it's an applicable example and the ball will fall with the exact same impact as if you didn't affect it.
Sorry, but Thor did exerted force in the opposite direction. If that wasn't the case, he would've hit the ground at the exact same instant the cage did. As I've said, he projected himself in a direction almost perpendicular to to the one of the fall. Yes, basic physics.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #154
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
The Loki hype is everywhere.

The 50 year old woman I work with at the train station, who is completely unfamiliar with anything comic-related, saw Avengers last weekend with her family and now has Loki as her desktop background.
...yeah what's wrong with that? I'm a 51 year old fan but had Jamie/Sif on my desktop for awhile.
Hey We're ALL living longer these days and I know it's scarey, but there are a growing number of Seniors with STDS due to the lil blue pills! MAYBE she just finds him attractive? MAYBE she loved the extremness he could act?

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #155
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Nice save dude ;-)
heh INDEED, an "retired" Mod, Kel, would have had a field day with that lol

....to every King.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #156
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
...yeah what's wrong with that? I'm a 51 year old fan but had Jamie/Sif on my desktop for awhile.
Hey We're ALL living longer these days and I know it's scarey, but there are a growing number of Seniors with STDS due to the lil blue pills! MAYBE she just finds him attractive? MAYBE she loved the extremness he could act?
I wasn't trying to imply there's anything wrong with anything Moreso stating that it's uncommon for older, non fan audiences to be entranced with CBM's and their characters. I found it cool that she had no idea who Loki was and now loves him haha. It's a nice change. My mom was the same...had no clue about anything Avengers related, then she watched Iron Man and was glued.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #157
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply there's anything wrong with anything Moreso stating that it's uncommon for older, non fan audiences to be entranced with CBM's and their characters. I found it cool that she had no idea who Loki was and now loves him haha. It's a nice change. My mom was the same...had no clue about anything Avengers related, then she watched Iron Man and was glued.
lol Yeah I guess it could be a bit more "wrong" if it Were Beta Ray Bill she had on her desktop lol

......I actually know a woman who bought the Stormbreaker saga before knowing of Thor lol we used to kid her about that too.

....to every King.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #158
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol Yeah I guess it could be a bit more "wrong" if it Were Beta Ray Bill she had on her desktop lol

......I actually know a woman who bought the Stormbreaker saga before knowing of Thor lol we used to kid her about that too.
....Yeah that would be a little odd hahaha.

I do like being able to explain the characters to people though....the three friends I was with were so confused with the Thanos reveal, and meanwhile I sat in my seat and said "Oh.My.God" about 15 times before elaborating.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #159
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
Sorry, but Thor did exerted force in the opposite direction. If that wasn't the case, he would've hit the ground at the exact same instant the cage did. As I've said, he projected himself in a direction almost perpendicular to to the one of the fall. Yes, basic physics.
This might be, but he still survived a 30,000 ft fall with zero injuries and that in itself is HIGHLY impressive.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #160
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
No, the scene clearly shows him jumping out to the side when he breaks out of the glass. That he doesn't hit the ground in at the same time is because they didn't follow the laws of physics in that scene, which they choose not to do at many times during the film.

To make assumptions derived from the laws of physics isn't the logical way to do it when you're dealing with a film where those laws have little power.

They probably intended for Thor to have escaped harm from jumping out but the way they did it wouldn't have worked in the real world, even assuming that someone could be as strong and capable as Thor is.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #161
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Another reason why Thor would block shots: he's a trained warrior from a world where likely opponents actually *can* hurt him. So, he's used to trying to block and parry attacks, and does so even against attacks that are likely to just bounce off by habit.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #162
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

Quote:
That's how I saw it, too. As far as I can remember. The cage was rolling around in the air. When Thor found hold he waited a little before he catapulted himself outside.

Yes he jumped out nearly sideways but hit hard on the ground.

IRON MAN III - THOR: THE DARK WORLD - CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #163
metaphysician
Side-Kick

And, eh, he didn't jump so much as fly. IIRC, he definitely had Mjolnir ahead of him. That means he likely *was* exerting an upward force at that point, no different than when he flies horizontally normally. It just wasn't enough to keep from hitting the ground with his then-current momentum.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #164
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion View Post
That's how I saw it, too. As far as I can remember. The cage was rolling around in the air. When Thor found holt he waited a little before he catapulted himself outside.

Exactly. But, really, people will only see what they want to see.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #165
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Another reason why Thor would block shots: he's a trained warrior from a world where likely opponents actually *can* hurt him. So, he's used to trying to block and parry attacks, and does so even against attacks that are likely to just bounce off by habit.
Bingo, he's not used to being "Mr. Invulnerable" since he doesn't go up against earth weapons like Iron Man and Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
And, eh, he didn't jump so much as fly. IIRC, he definitely had Mjolnir ahead of him. That means he likely *was* exerting an upward force at that point, no different than when he flies horizontally normally. It just wasn't enough to keep from hitting the ground with his then-current momentum.
Well he had to spin Mjolnir to fly in this film, so it just looked like a powerful "jump" to me.

Besides, Thor flying into the ground would make the fall even harder than if he hit the ground after jumping.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #166
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion View Post
That's how I saw it, too. As far as I can remember. The cage was rolling around in the air. When Thor found hold he waited a little before he catapulted himself outside.

You can see that he's jumping sideways by looking at the camera angle (which is aligned with the ground at the times it's still) as he breaks out.

Edit: Must have accidentally removed part of my sentence in my hurry.

Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-11-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #167
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Anyone feel like the Destroyer gun was a bit unrealistic? No way would I expect even the smartest Marvel guys to reverse engineer a machine created by gods. They basically relegated asgard to an alien planet filled with humanoid aliens with just that one weapon

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #168
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Check this out guys, Thor vs Raiden on "Death Battle"

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/ori...thor-vs-raiden

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #169
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Check this out guys, Thor vs Raiden on "Death Battle"

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/ori...thor-vs-raiden
haha. The side notes after the narrator mentioned some of the main powers for each were funny.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #170
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
haha. The side notes after the narrator mentioned some of the main powers for each were funny.
Incredibly funny, my friend told me about this a few weeks ago they have some pretty cool fights.

I also like how they do extensive research on each character and ignore things like "plot devices" or PIS.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #171
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Yeah, I agree about research too, I was shocked when they mentioned Thor's real mother being the Earth Spirit, though, they used her Greek name Gaea, that is beside the point, still cool that they even thought to bring it up.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #172
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
It kind of reminds me of the Transporter 2 where he runs from the front of a crashing airplane to the back and jumps to avoid geting hurt.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #173
Kibo
Side-Kick

Just a quick note, I would think that the terminal velocity on that cage would be significantly less than what people think. I did a google search and one site said it could be as low as 52 mph for a car in a tumble (90ish nose down).

Compare that to the speeds Thor and Iron Man likely were going when they crashed in the forest, it becomes a bigger non-issue than it already is (since he's a god and all)

Kibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #174
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
Anyone feel like the Destroyer gun was a bit unrealistic? No way would I expect even the smartest Marvel guys to reverse engineer a machine created by gods. They basically relegated asgard to an alien planet filled with humanoid aliens with just that one weapon
That's exactly what they are. They're just godlike to us. That gun is probably made entirely from The Destroyer pieces that were left around.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #175
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Well, oh well. Can't win em all.

Anyways, I thought Thor smashing the car onto the aliens was pretty sweet in the movie.