continuous (ongoing films without reboots) 40 65.57%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Should Avengers be a trilogy, 4 movie set, or continuous

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
i don't think it will be that long of a wait for the avengers 2.
....2015 is too long? So you think we will get avengers 2, the same year as captain america 2?

Nope.

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

trilogy. Keep it a trilogy. Hemsworth IS Thor. RDJ IS stark..etc. I would be dissapointed if it goes beyond a trilogy.

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #28
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
It's not that rdj will be too old its just that as a veteran actor already i doubt he'd want to do one role for that long.

RDJ is a great actor if he feels the franchise has grown stale i don't think he'll want to stick around for iron man 5 or avengers 4.
You have two different issues here.

1.) As a veteran actory I doubt he'd want to do one role for that long
2.) RDJ is a great actor if he feels the franchise has gone stale I don't think he'll want to stick around for IM5 or Avengers 4

2 is an easy fix....just make good movies and if you make a bad one own up too it an get something fresh going for the sequel....I doubt RDJ is bored with Stark ATM even though he is playing him for the 4th time this summer as they film IM3

1 I don't think we really have any clue what he is thinking but if we look at Hugh Jackmen, Bruce Willis, Sly Stalone and Johnny Depp as the only legitimate comparisons (who else has played a character this iconic?) They seem to alway come back to their characters.....Die Hard hasn't gone stale yet but Pirates and Wolverine? You'd think if anyone would have had enough it's those guys and they still keep coming back....RDJ seems to have playing Stark as part of his fabric....I would not worry about him getting bored.

[/QUOTE]
Recasting without rebooting is hard and has only really been done succesfully in the bond series. Funny enough the first time connery was replaced by a different actor the uproar from the public was so bad they brought him back.

It would be very jarring for the audience for avengers 3 to have rdj and in the next installment he looks totally different with no mention.[/QUOTE]

It's only been done successfully by the Bond series but it also only has been attempted really by the Bond series and the old Batman series....to reboot one movie you have to reboot the entire MCU....I think recasting would be a lot less jarring considering the alternative of having to reboot 4-8 franchises....I think you gotta put the faith in Marvel if they recast that they'll find a suitable replacement.

DMB #41
L0ngsh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
....2015 is too long? So you think we will get avengers 2, the same year as captain america 2?

Nope.
Why wouldn't we? The first Avengers movie gets its own year, and is the only Marvel project on tap for 2012, simply because this is the big "event" that everything has been leading up to. Now that the cat is out of the bag and Marvel is counting the money, the same can't be said for Avengers 2 being an "event" movie. It will be another franchise installment, nothing more. So if Marvel sticks to the 2-per-year formula, Avengers 2 is a pretty safe bet to be the other movie besides CA2.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #30
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
trilogy. Keep it a trilogy. Hemsworth IS Thor. RDJ IS stark..etc. I would be dissapointed if it goes beyond a trilogy.
and I would be VERY disappointed if it's only a trilogy.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #31
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Ditto.

"Trilogy" is blinders-on, old school Hollywood thinking. Marvel has vision (literally), and is in the business of making long-lasting franchises, not creating projects with expiration dates.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #32
slim_summers
Mutant Revolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I like the fact that Nolan has his own trilogy with its his personal stamp and vision. Then the next director will come along and craft another kind of Batman trilogy that isn't forced to operate under Nolan's rules or stick to Nolan's continuity.

Look at X-men First Class. You can't use Iceman, Angel, Cyclops, or Jean Grey because the previous films screwed up the timeline. A reboot would have so much more freedom and storytelling potential.

Plus trilogy sets are just so cool and collectable. Whedon fans are going to want one from him with a begining, middle, and powerful end.
this

slim_summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #33
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I agree! I don't get why some movies series have to be a trilogy. They should at least make 5 movies.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #34
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Why wouldn't we? The first Avengers movie gets its own year, and is the only Marvel project on tap for 2012, simply because this is the big "event" that everything has been leading up to. Now that the cat is out of the bag and Marvel is counting the money, the same can't be said for Avengers 2 being an "event" movie. It will be another franchise installment, nothing more. So if Marvel sticks to the 2-per-year formula, Avengers 2 is a pretty safe bet to be the other movie besides CA2.
It's still an event. It's a teamup amongst 'normal' franchise installments. Just because its not as new doesn't mean it will be less special.

Quote:
I'd be very disappointed if it ended without a real ending, because people were just making them without planning out where the whole thing was going.

Quote:
Ditto.

"Trilogy" is blinders-on, old school Hollywood thinking. Marvel has vision (literally), and is in the business of making long-lasting franchises, not creating projects with expiration dates.
A curious metaphor, since horses need blinders so they don't get distracted by dead ends. Every project has an expiration date. Some filmmakers are smart enough to end it before the audience loses interest. Is Star Wars a long lasting franchise? How about Lord of the Rings?

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #35
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
It's still an event. It's a teamup amongst 'normal' franchise installments. Just because its not as new doesn't mean it will be less special.

I'd be very disappointed if it ended without a real ending, because people were just making them without planning out where the whole thing was going.

A curious metaphor, since horses need blinders so they don't get distracted by dead ends. Every project has an expiration date. Some filmmakers are smart enough to end it before the audience loses interest. Is Star Wars a long lasting franchise? How about Lord of the Rings?
how about Star Trek? How about Bond? How about Marvel Comics? Are they supposed to have an end?

ZWERG/ELF

Old 05-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #36
Closerframe
Side-Kick

Marvel has gone too far, it's too late to turn back now. They can't simply limit the greatest team in comic book history by forcing them into a single trilogy, especially when the first movie broke box-office records. I think they can always introduce new heroes and take out some, and there's always the possibility they'll either regain some of their other characters from other studios or they'll collaborate with them like Fox or Sony. I mean Disney has buckets of money they could throw at both.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #37
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
how about Star Trek? How about Bond? How about Marvel Comics? Are they supposed to have an end?
Exactly.
And Sherlock Holmes. Conan the Barbarian. Doctor Who. The Cthulhu Mythos. Even Star Wars, which Dr.Cosmic mentioned, is still without horizons on either end, as Lucas and other writers continue to expand the SW universe in its past *and* its future.

No, everything does *not* have an end. A franchise like the Marvel Universe is *meant* to be open-ended. You don't build a square-mile farm in the middle of Kansas and say, "That's it, that's as far as we can possibly expand in this field."

Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #38
Donut
Side-Kick

I say continuous. They don't need to pull a DC & reboot it after a Trilogy

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #39
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Exactly.
And Sherlock Holmes. Conan the Barbarian. Doctor Who. The Cthulhu Mythos. Even Star Wars, which Dr.Cosmic mentioned, is still without horizons on either end, as Lucas and other writers continue to expand the SW universe in its past *and* its future.

No, everything does *not* have an end. A franchise like the Marvel Universe is *meant* to be open-ended. You don't build a square-mile farm in the middle of Kansas and say, "That's it, that's as far as we can possibly expand in this field."
And if they do, they are clearly lacking vision.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #40
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I doubt RDJ will do more than IM3 of solo-films, but hopefully he can be persuaded to stick around for a few more Avengers sequels. With the current cast and line-up (with possible additions in later films), I think the series should go like this.

Movie 1: Loki + generic alien army horde. The team slowly, dysfunctionally assembles and becomes a real team by movie's end.

Movie 2: Thanos + minions of some sort. The team, while still dysfunctional, has become manageable and has kind of a shared-family dynamic. However, they face a threat that forces them to examine their own mortality and self-worth of what they do in the nihilistic face of Thanos. The movie should leave them badly shaken.

Movie 3: Thanos's actions as well as resentment from the events of Loki's invasion forces the hand of the US government to try to register all super-humans, starting with the Avengers. A riff forms in the team and it breaks apart in a film about "brother vs. brother...."

shot back-to-back with

Movie 4: The Avengers, despite whatever monumental problems of an epic falling out they just had, must reassemble "one more time" to face a new threat that is....I don't know. Bigger than Thanos. Like Galactus-sized.

Then after that the roster can change up with new characters from new solo films and keep going as long as Marvel can make it work.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #41
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I doubt RDJ will do more than IM3 of solo-films, but hopefully he can be persuaded to stick around for a few more Avengers sequels. With the current cast and line-up (with possible additions in later films), I think the series should go like this.

Movie 1: Loki + generic alien army horde. The team slowly, dysfunctionally assembles and becomes a real team by movie's end.

Movie 2: Thanos + minions of some sort. The team, while still dysfunctional, has become manageable and has kind of a shared-family dynamic. However, they face a threat that forces them to examine their own mortality and self-worth of what they do in the nihilistic face of Thanos. The movie should leave them badly shaken.

Movie 3: Thanos's actions as well as resentment from the events of Loki's invasion forces the hand of the US government to try to register all super-humans, starting with the Avengers. A riff forms in the team and it breaks apart in a film about "brother vs. brother...."

shot back-to-back with

Movie 4: The Avengers, despite whatever monumental problems of an epic falling out they just had, must reassemble "one more time" to face a new threat that is....I don't know. Bigger than Thanos. Like Galactus-sized.

Then after that the roster can change up with new characters from new solo films and keep going as long as Marvel can make it work.

I'm still not convinced an all-out civil war centric movie is the best....but I think the idea could work if it where kind of merged with a secret invasion-esque storyline.....

like a Kree warrior comes to Earth and tells them that they believe the Skrulls have slowly been infiltraiting the Human race and they can shape shift to look like anyone....so slowly the Avengers start to distrust one another and sides get formed etc.

If this "trilogy" is all about Thanos this might not work so well, but I think a Kree-Skrull movie arc or trilogy is something that should absolutely happen in MCU

DMB #41
Old 05-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #42
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Interesting examples. Star Trek and Bond have been rebooted, and the previous incarnations of those franchises ended on low, embarrassing notes. Of course, both of those franchises have been in that position before, though they experienced softer reboots in the past, and just had loose continuity. They expired. They were brought back. I don't want that for Avengers.

Marvel comics doesn't have an end. You can recycle storylines and villains and themes and go without character arcs, have the same 'director' do 5-10 story arcs, reuse faces indefinitely, and produce new stories monthly and do all sorts of stuff that makes it irrelevant in a discussion about film continuity. If you think the movies can be just like the comics in terms of pacing and narrative then we'll just have to disagree.

Quote:
Exactly.

A curious metaphor, since even the farmer knows eventually he will have to get a new tractor.

Is Star Wars the most successful of that list? Yes, it is. Does it throw out 'old school' trilogy thinking? Ever heard of the Thrawn trilogy? Did that story have an ending? Did the OT? The PT? Did any quality EU story not build to an epic conclusion? If you make an interesting story with an ending, you can tell a new story after that. This is what Star Wars did. This is what Dr. Who does. This is what Avengers will do. Different stories in the same universe, not one long continuous story without end - because that's not a story, that's rambling.

If you just make self contained films, and give up a through story, which necessitates an ending, eventually people will lose interest, and your franchise will end on a low note, or you'll have to hard reboot, like Sherlock Holmes and Conan the Barbarian.

That's why I've been talking about something continuous and a trilogy.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #43
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

There are more than enough characters to make the movie continuous. Just stagger the roster rotation. Bring and sign the actors who are playing Wasp and Ant Man up for Avengers films as well as their solo films. (Once the actors signed have fulfilled their obligations to their contracts they will leave, heard Chris Evans didn't even want to do Captain America or Avengers but he is signed so he will do his best and then go). So You have their contracts keep them around long enough to stagger the roster and then when they leave you still have actors from the previous films still there to welcome in and help the new actors out. So the audience isn't upset by the all new cast since two or three are still there.
I was reading Earth's Mightiest 2 and the public was wondering if the Avengers were still needed since Cap, Iron Man, and the originals were gone. So they can do that too in the movies, make that part of the movie. Have the public asking if they were still needed, since the audience will too, and then show them why they are defiantly still needed. You could make more than 7 Avengers films even.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #44
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

Since they are not going to reboot then a civil war film down the road seems highly likely.

Daniel Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #45
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Do a trilogy, recast the characters (I imagine the current actors would be ready to move on by then), do another trilogy (plus more solo films with the new actors), etc. There's no need to reboot for a very long time.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #46
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Thompson View Post
Since they are not going to reboot then a civil war film down the road seems highly likely.
I don't think so.

The Civil War was predicated on the notion that the Avengers were unsupervised and basically operated as judge, jury and executioner without ever having to answer to a governmental authority. Bendis explored that peculiarity of superhero "law" about forty years too late, and it caused the Civil War, which still has repercussions in the Marvel Comic-Book Universe to this day.

However, the Marvel *Cinematic* Universe is already exploring issues of authority, jurisdiction and law, so there's not going to be a Civil War down the line to resolve this.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #47
Angamb
Banned User

I can see 4 movies at most.

They will clearly do three movies, like most of past franchises, and with the success of all of them, I think Marvel will want to take advantage of that and do another one.

If they keep a 3 years gap between sequels, that would mean Avengers 2 would be out in 2021, and a 9 years era for the "Avengers" franchise. Not bad, Id say.

An Avengers 5 would be for 2024, and Im afraid Marvel wont go that far with this cast, some of them would be on another place in their careers by that time, and the cast would be really big too, so I think we should be more than happy with 4 movies, like the Pirates franchise.

A LONG franchise with 6 movies or so would be AMAZING for any comic lover, definetly! from any superhero....... but movie/studios industry is hard and actors get older and use to move to other stuff later in their careers....

So 4 GREAT movies would be perfect, at least for me.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #48
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think so.

The Civil War was predicated on the notion that the Avengers were unsupervised and basically operated as judge, jury and executioner without ever having to answer to a governmental authority. Bendis explored that peculiarity of superhero "law" about forty years too late, and it caused the Civil War, which still has repercussions in the Marvel Comic-Book Universe to this day.

However, the Marvel *Cinematic* Universe is already exploring issues of authority, jurisdiction and law, so there's not going to be a Civil War down the line to resolve this.

I wouldn't be surprised to continue to see elements of Civil War appear in MCU though I think a Civil War movie would be not the best idea

One idea I had would be to do a secret invasion meets civil war storyline where you have a physical threat and potentiall a mystery story where you don't know who is a skrull and who isn't but Iron Man and Cap take sides and there is that Civil War element but ultimately it would be to set up the Kree-Skrull conflict.

DMB #41
Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #49
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

One thought I had is why do we have to do a reboot to essentially start fresh?

For example, why can't this just be the Thanos story? and after three movies maybe they take a little break to plan and develop the next series which is the Kree-Skrull conflict and maybe MCU has F4 by then etc...

in the next series it isn't like you have to re-origin everything....just start like they've been character for awhile just with new actors etc....you can and you don't have to reference what happened in the past but I don't think you have to do a full on reboot just to start fresh

DMB #41
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #50
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ngsh0t View Post
One thought I had is why do we have to do a reboot to essentially start fresh?

For example, why can't this just be the Thanos story? and after three movies maybe they take a little break to plan and develop the next series which is the Kree-Skrull conflict and maybe MCU has F4 by then etc...

in the next series it isn't like you have to re-origin everything....just start like they've been character for awhile just with new actors etc....you can and you don't have to reference what happened in the past but I don't think you have to do a full on reboot just to start fresh
I hope to hell the MCU *never* gets rebooted. Nor any of its characters. Keep the characters and storylines intact, and just recast the actors someday. (But not someday soon. )