Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #777
Pep
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ultimate Spider-Man animated series discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
See, I find the character design of Ultimate sort of bland. I prefer the style for Spectacular. It's funny how Batman: The Animated Series had a simple style, and people don't get all over it for the art...
Absolutely! I'm amazed when people say that USM looks good. The characters are so bland and expressionless. They're a total bore to watch! Compare the way these characters look in this show to the way the Spider-Man characters looked in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes; they were very detailed but still expressive.

Another question: I've noticed that some people are going to buy Ultimate Spider-Man despite the fact that they don't like it. Why is that? Are some fans really that loyal to Spider-Man in general?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #778
zeptron
Side-Kick

SSM's designs also helped created better fight sequences. I'd say that's a trade-off. The action sequences the show had could never be done in a live action movie because the choreography and stunt budgets would go through the roof.

For instance, the 90s show drawings were more realistic, but that came at a price, poor animation, heavy overuse of stock footage, and Spider-man didn't move very fast or that well. The action was also pretty lacking for the most part not just because of the realistic designs, but the censorship as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #779
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

The designs in The Spectacular spider-Man are also more humble and down-to-earth IMO.

Compared to Ultimate Spider-Man...

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #780
DawnWarrior
Questioner of Authority

I would call the USM designs more..."conventional" and the SSM more..."stylized."

Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #781
Picard Sisko

USM designs feel the same as any other disney animated series.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #782
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

What I hate about this show, and this is something I primarily hate about the Ultimate Spider-Man comics but this show has this problem too, is that Spider-Man being mentored by Nick Fury and taught how to be a great superhero. That really bothers me. Part of the reason that made Spider-Man so great when he was first created is that he was the first teen superhero to not be a sidekick and to be given the title of "man" as opposed to "boy". He had no one and had to get to where he is by himself. That's why Spider-Man is such a great coming of age story and life story overall and why he is very relatable. When you give him a mentor that constantly instructs him what to do, you're taking that away from the character. You're taking away an aspect that made Spider-Man an interesting character to begin with.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #783
DawnWarrior
Questioner of Authority

^I agree with all that, but the show actually makes it far worse, because this Spidey doesn't want to be mentored for some reason. He doesn't want training, he doesn't follow orders, he doesn't want any of SHIELD's gear (and when he does he breaks it), and he doesn't want to hang out with other young heroes. Fury showers him with everything a budding super-hero could ever want and Spidey throws it all back like it's diseased.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #784
Picard Sisko

They make Spider-Man look so stupid.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #785
Picard Sisko

Why do I have a gut feeling that the next video game is going to be based on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #786
OctoHaz
Doc Ock Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnWarrior View Post
^I agree with all that, but the show actually makes it far worse, because this Spidey doesn't want to be mentored for some reason. He doesn't want training, he doesn't follow orders, he doesn't want any of SHIELD's gear (and when he does he breaks it), and he doesn't want to hang out with other young heroes. Fury showers him with everything a budding super-hero could ever want and Spidey throws it all back like it's diseased.
Yeah, that was kind of my biggest gripe with the show when I finally sat down to watch it (go Netflix); Peter/Spidey was a JERK. Yeah, sure, Peter's always made mistakes, he's never been perfect, but moments of actual jerkishness in the comics (or in SSM) is rare. In USM, I reeeeally kept wanting to smack him. :/ I just found him to be... less sympathetic overall.

It seemed to me like the latter half of the season was better for this (even as the plotty-type episodes gave way to Monster of the Week for the most part).

Maybe Season 2 will be better?

(For the record, I don't hate the show any more (though I still think it vastly inferior to SSM). I just have... issues with it. So many issues. )

Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #787
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick

Behold the trailer for season 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak14WB0l0yA

Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #788
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
A preview of season 2
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I like the nod to Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy313 View Post
Behold the trailer for season 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak14WB0l0yA
Look a little above

- ran by great folks
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #789
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick

the one i put is a full fledged season 2 trailer

Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #790
Coffee
Newbie First Class

Hi everyone,

I'm new here & this is my first post.

I actually caught up on both series & definitely prefer Spectacular to Ultimate.

In terms of designs, it took a couple of episodes for me to get used to the design & feel of spectacular, but I actually like it. My only issue is / was Harry & (when they were exposed) Peter's arms / elbows, they seemed l"ego-ish".

I initially disliked Ultimate Spider-man & still have some issues, but the final episode displayed a more serious tone & hopefully season 2 will build on that (I've accepted the breaking of the 4th wall & the constant family guy style jokes being thrown at the viewer, even though I'm not a fan of it.)

But Spectacular is my favortie of all the spidey series (even eclipsing the nostalgia factor of the 90's show)

It had humor, action, developed characters (and character arcs) & a surprisingly more mature that what I initially expectant.

A fully realized NYC.

Followed an actual timeline. Watching the seasonal change was a nice little touch (watching the snow melt from episode to episode.....talk about paying attention to continuity!)

Diversity (Something that reflects our current world)

Even the way each episode ended with that nod to the comics, the spidey mask logo.

I could go on, but seeing as this is the Ultimate thread, everyone already knows how cool this show is!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #791
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

For those curious, the first episode is now available for download at iTunes for free:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...-2/id588451855

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #792
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
For those curious, the first episode is now available for download at iTunes for free:

Thanks for pointing that out. For free, I guess I'll download it. Interested in seeing their version of "The Lizard."

Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #793
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I can't wait for Rocket Raccoon and the rest. I noticed they weren't in the trailer. They did have Hawkeye though.

So, I was watching Ultimate Spider-Man, it was the "Attack of the Beetle" episode. I love this episode so very, very much but the first two times I saw it basically consisted of non-stop squee. Squee isn't very conducive to character study and the little character study I had done was Coulson related between the year at cooking school and the only agent to take down the Beetle and his owning what looks like a cartoon interpretation of a blue '55 T-Bird...so nice...

Today, I paid attention to Aunt May and well...

First of all, it's all from Peter's perspective so we're very limited, but...

1. Coulson talks several times about how interesting May is.
2. May seems to be gone an awful lot...
3. We don't get to hear a lot of what May and Phil are actually talking about.
4. And most important...May is able to get out of her own kidnapping, remove her restraints AND FIRE a fighter plane.

Again...

Aunt May used a fighter plane to rescue Coulson and Spider-Man. Then, she LIED. She said, "Oh, I must have hit the wrong button" but she was doing that twinkling eye thing like when a character is lying. She knew exactly which button to hit and when.

What if Aunt May had her own secrets? What if she was some sort of agent or a founding member of SWORD or something? What if Coulson knows all of this but is keeping it secret from Peter just like he's keeping Peter's secret from May? What if all of May's trips and mountain climbing and such are actually cover stories for continuing her activities? I mean, we know Peter's parents were involved in things and Marvel has a habit of making parents secretly involved in SHIELD or whatever...think Tony Stark and Reed Richards...

I know I should just be happy in season two to even have Aunt May and maybe even have her still going out on dates with Phil but...

I REALLY WANT MAY TO BE A SECRET AGENT OR SOMETHING!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #794
Picard Sisko

Why are they trying to make Aunt May cool in this? She is so annoying IMO.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #795
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy313 View Post
the one i put is a full fledged season 2 trailer
Oh, sorry
Checked the trailer, looks pretty nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post

Thanks for the link

- ran by great folks
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #796
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

I think their designs changed a bit
This episode is dull

- ran by great folks
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #797
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
I can't wait for Rocket Raccoon and the rest. I noticed they weren't in the trailer. They did have Hawkeye though.

So, I was watching Ultimate Spider-Man, it was the "Attack of the Beetle" episode. I love this episode so very, very much but the first two times I saw it basically consisted of non-stop squee. Squee isn't very conducive to character study and the little character study I had done was Coulson related between the year at cooking school and the only agent to take down the Beetle and his owning what looks like a cartoon interpretation of a blue '55 T-Bird...so nice...

Today, I paid attention to Aunt May and well...

First of all, it's all from Peter's perspective so we're very limited, but...

1. Coulson talks several times about how interesting May is.
2. May seems to be gone an awful lot...
3. We don't get to hear a lot of what May and Phil are actually talking about.
4. And most important...May is able to get out of her own kidnapping, remove her restraints AND FIRE a fighter plane.

Again...

Aunt May used a fighter plane to rescue Coulson and Spider-Man. Then, she LIED. She said, "Oh, I must have hit the wrong button" but she was doing that twinkling eye thing like when a character is lying. She knew exactly which button to hit and when.

What if Aunt May had her own secrets? What if she was some sort of agent or a founding member of SWORD or something? What if Coulson knows all of this but is keeping it secret from Peter just like he's keeping Peter's secret from May? What if all of May's trips and mountain climbing and such are actually cover stories for continuing her activities? I mean, we know Peter's parents were involved in things and Marvel has a habit of making parents secretly involved in SHIELD or whatever...think Tony Stark and Reed Richards...

I know I should just be happy in season two to even have Aunt May and maybe even have her still going out on dates with Phil but...

I REALLY WANT MAY TO BE A SECRET AGENT OR SOMETHING!

Holy *****! You might be on to something! I really never thought about it until reading this but it makes perfect sense. It would be cool if May has some secrets of her own.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #798
Sebastos
Bebop User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I think their designs changed a bit
This episode is dull
I noticed a bit of a change in the animation too, what about the 4th wall stuff?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #799
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastos View Post
I noticed a bit of a change in the animation too, what about the 4th wall stuff?
There's too much of those cutaways and fourth wall stuff, as usual
And Spider-Man still can't fight his fights on his own
Although Spider-Friends had Spider-Man in a team, he was still the star of the show as the logo says, big brain and the guy most dependable
This show paid nod to that show in this episode, but it's a shame to a good memory

- ran by great folks
Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #800
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
The designs in The Spectacular spider-Man are also more humble and down-to-earth IMO.

Compared to Ultimate Spider-Man...

I never really had a problem with the animation of USM, my problem was more with the writing.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Closed Thread