The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 05-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #76
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ngsh0t View Post
A space epic set in the same universe as the Avengers isn't a safe bet? Disagree strongly assuming the movie is up to the same standards we've come to expect from Marvel
The only way I see a GotG NOT bomb is if the marketing focuses exclusively on the "from the producers of The Avengers" line...
really, talking racoons don't bring in the masses.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Last edited by R_Hythlodeus; 05-25-2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: I shouldn't post sober
R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #77
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

The marketing for GOTG needs to be ALOT like Watchmen's & Sucker Punch's. Cool images, acidic tones, intrinsic music, "Heavy Metal meets The Marvel Cinematic Universe."

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #78
Chewy
REDACTED

Oh god. GotG's marketing would need to be the exact opposite of Watchmen's and Sucker Punch's. Everything about GotG needs to be the exact opposite of Watchmen and Sucker Punch.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #79
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Oh god. GotG's marketing would need to be the exact opposite of Watchmen's and Sucker Punch's. Everything about GotG needs to be the exact opposite of Watchmen and Sucker Punch.
What? I never said that! And of course, the less any movie is like Sucker Punch, the better.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #80
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^Read Alexei's post, right above his.

I think the marketing should explicitly ape Star Wars. "Right now... in a Galaxy very very close by." Action shots, action shots, comedy as a raccoon unmasks and starts alien cursing someone out. Action shots, action shots. Dramatic lineup, big monster, cut to title. After the title screen says 'Use force.' Cut to Rocket Raccoon running from an enemy ambush. "It's a trap!" Coming such and such a date.

Heck, ape Star Trek next. "Space... the final frontier? Yeah, been there, done that." Action shot on ship, action shots. New guy goes to pet some strange raccoon, who then suddenly begins alien cursing him out. Perhaps a pickup line on Gamora. "I'd like to go boldly where no man has gone before." More Action shots. "Set Phasers to Kill, boys!" Alien Army descending, cut to title.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #81
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

double post

Last edited by DrCosmic; 05-25-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #82
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

double post

Last edited by DrCosmic; 05-25-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #83
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Aaaaaah, I see. I missed information because of the ignore button. Silly me. Should have thought of that.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #84
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

I think the marketing should explicitly ape Star Wars. "Right now... in a Galaxy very very close by." Action shots, action shots, comedy as a raccoon unmasks and starts alien cursing someone out. Action shots, action shots. Dramatic lineup, big monster, cut to title. After the title screen says 'Use force.' Cut to Rocket Raccoon running from an enemy ambush. "It's a trap!" Coming such and such a date.

Heck, ape Star Trek next. "Space... the final frontier? Yeah, been there, done that." Action shot on ship, action shots. New guy goes to pet some strange raccoon, who then suddenly begins alien cursing him out. Perhaps a pickup line on Gamora. "I'd like to go boldly where no man has gone before." More Action shots. "Set Phasers to Kill, boys!" Alien Army descending, cut to title.

I think so, too. GOTG has the potential to become its own sci-fi megafranchise, without ANYONE knowing anything about the comic book at all. It's space opera, and more than a few space operas have gone on to become pop culture phenomena in and of themselves.

And I also agree with AB that putting Thor 2 up against THG2 is a bad idea, even with momentum from Avengers. I don't think Hemsworth's marquee value is as big as Jennifer's right now.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #85
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Interesting, I see.

So, on this topic, the 2014 movie... I've always thought that Marvel didn't really know what they were putting there. Ant-Man is unscheduled, basically, and nothing else is finished/written, and they have until 2013 to start making the thing. I think they have something they'll push if push comes to shove, but I don't think they *know* yet. The fact that they recently said there were two unannounced movies instead of one highlights this to me. Is anyone else thinking along these lines?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #86
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Oh god. GotG's marketing would need to be the exact opposite of Watchmen's & Sucker Punch's. Everything about GotG needs to be the exact opposite of Watchmen & Sucker Punch.
In other words, you don't know anything about the GOTG or Marvel's golden years of space exploration. Here's a history lesson. See, before modern-day comics (****), there was a truly creative time when people like Jim Starlin were allowed to get crazy with the writing & there was no editor around to say "you're gettin' too deep & complex with this ****." There was literally no editor. That glorious time in comics gave birth to people like Warlock, Thanos & redefined The Silver Surfer. Now, if you knew anything about said period you'd know that it was so out there, that it was borderline Heavy Metal. Snyder was emulating Heavy Metal with both Watchmen & Sucker Punch (mainly Sucker Punch). So yeah, the Snyder approach (you dislike so much) is actually a very correct approach to adapting the GOTG.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #87
Blackman
C'mon Son

youre saying the music is what you want. That type of music used in the Sucker Punch/Watchmen trailers, right?

Other than that no there should be nothing from the Watchmen/Sucker Punch trailers. Neither marketing campaign was successful

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #88
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Not just the music. The tone. To try to sell GOTG as a Star Wars movie (a kids movie) would be an enormous mistake. It would alienate people like myself who have been following that aspect of Marvel for 30 years. GOTG should be nothing like Star Wars or Star Trek. I've said it before, if the studio tries to emulate either of the two in an effort to make money, they'll pretty much ruin the picture. You can't do a movie with Rocket Raccoon & play it with a straight face. Just doesn't work. You do it the way his creators did it - the twisted way. "Yep, this Raccoon talks. Ain't it deliciously bizarre?" Not the serious Star Wars/Star Trek way, which would just be deemed stupid after one trailer.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #89
Blackman
C'mon Son

Well the tone of Sucker Punch/Watchmen trailers was pretty serious and that wouldnt work well at all
The best tone for the trailers would be like Iron Man ones
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Cool action, lots of humor. GoTG will probably have the same tone as other Marvel movies anyway

Old 05-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #90
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

Quote:
Interesting, I see.

So, on this topic, the 2014 movie... I've always thought that Marvel didn't really know what they were putting there. Ant-Man is unscheduled, basically, and nothing else is finished/written, and they have until 2013 to start making the thing. I think they have something they'll push if push comes to shove, but I don't think they *know* yet. The fact that they recently said there were two unannounced movies instead of one highlights this to me. Is anyone else thinking along these lines?
My theory is they wanted to wait and see if two things happened

1.) there was a time where it looked like fox was very close to losing the rights to F4, and I think they are still close if they don't start actual production soon.....I don't think there is time any more for it to be F4 because the rights disappear with too little time left to get a quality movie produced.

2.) I think they wanted to see how Hulk fared in Avengers before giving him a 2nd movie

for some reason I think Hulk is getting another movie but I don't know if it will be the 2nd 2014 movie.

I am betting strongly on GoG. It seems like the right move to introduce some heavy comsmic elements and set up maybe the infinity gems and expand the universe.

I think the space epic elements can really sell the release date I think they are going to want to get an RDJ type casting though.....an actor with some draw maybe as Star-Lord who I think would be a logical character to build a movie around.

Maybe like Ryan Gosling as SL or something

DMB #41
L0ngsh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #91
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I think so, too. GOTG has the potential to become its own sci-fi megafranchise, without ANYONE knowing anything about the comic book at all. It's space opera, and more than a few space operas have gone on to become pop culture phenomena in and of themselves.

And I also agree with AB that putting Thor 2 up against THG2 is a bad idea, even with momentum from Avengers. I don't think Hemsworth's marquee value is as big as Jennifer's right now.

I like giving the movie some attitude too. John Carter suffered from a big lack of imagination for a movie set in another world....give GoG some humor and attitude.

Marvel has done an incredible job giving their movies their own voice....Any space epic is a mega franchise in the making or a mega bomb in the making.....good movies and good marketing will insure a profit being turned

DMB #41
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #92
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Blackman, you thought the tone for Watchmen & Sucker Punch was serious? It was acidic & complex. Visual ecstacy. Again, a nod to Heavy Metal. Not at all serious. The trailers for TDKR, those are serious. GOTG shouldn't be AT ALL like the IM fims. Not in tone/marketing. For starters, it just won't have the popcorn appeal Iron Man has no matter how you cook it. So to try & sell it like Iron Man is just dumb. You wanna play around with its weird nature. You don't want the GA laughing during 90% of it because they think its the dumbest thing they've ever seen. That's what'll happen if its done like Iron Man or Thor. "Then came The FROST Giants..." (Hopkins voice). I remember seeing that & just cringing in my seat. You can adapt the most seemingly unbelievable concepts of the books to the big screen. You can. You just gotta be careful how you go about it, because the last thing you wanna do is make folks cringe. You want folks to love Rocket Raccoon. Not walk outta the theatre when he starts talking.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #93
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Blackman, you thought the tone for Watchmen & Sucker Punch was serious? It was acidic & complex. Visual ecstacy. Again, a nod to Heavy Metal. Not at all serious. The trailers for TDKR, those are serious. GOTG shouldn't be AT ALL like the IM fims. Not in tone/marketing. For starters, it just won't have the popcorn appeal Iron Man has no matter how you cook it. So to try & sell it like Iron Man is just dumb. You wanna play around with its weird nature. You don't want the GA laughing during 90% of it because they think its the dumbest thing they've ever seen. That's what'll happen if its done like Iron Man or Thor. "Then came The FROST Giants..." (Hopkins voice). I remember seeing that & just cringing in my seat. You can adapt the most seemingly unbelievable concepts of the books to the big screen. You can. You just gotta be careful how you go about it, because the last thing you wanna do is make folks cringe. You want folks to love Rocket Raccoon. Not walk outta the theatre when he starts talking.

The problem is comparing anything to those crap fests probably leaves a bad taste in most peoples mouths.

No one sets out to make a movie similar to Sucker Punch, and no one ever should

DMB #41
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #94
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Blackman, you thought the tone for Watchmen & Sucker Punch was serious? It was acidic & complex. Visual ecstacy. Again, a nod to Heavy Metal. Not at all serious.
Yes they were serious I dont know how that could be debated. Not serious like a OScar bait drama but they didnt the tone was serious. Watch them over. They can be serious as well as "acidic and complex", but "dramatic/serious, funny/comedic, child friendly, etc. are the base descriptions of tone" When someone asks another person, what's the tone of a movie, I hardly think anyone will say "acidic". They will say it was sad, fun, etc.

Quote:
The trailers for TDKR, those are serious. GOTG shouldn't be AT ALL like the IM fims. Not in tone/marketing. For starters, it just won't have the popcorn appeal Iron Man has no matter how you cook it. So to try & sell it like Iron Man is just dumb. You wanna play around with its weird nature. You don't want the GA laughing during 90% of it because they think its the dumbest thing they've ever seen. That's what'll happen if its done like Iron Man or Thor. "Then came The FROST Giants..." (Hopkins voice). I remember seeing that & just cringing in my seat. You can adapt the most seemingly unbelievable concepts of the books to the big screen. You can. You just gotta be careful how you go about it, because the last thing you wanna do is make folks cringe. You want folks to love Rocket Raccoon. Not walk outta the theatre when he starts talking.
But THor turned out a success in the end. I dont see how you can say the trailers should be like 2 Box office failures and not be like a box office success like Iron Man.

Im saying the tone should be like Iron Man in that it shows the humor in the characters just like the IM trailers showed the humor in Tony Stark's character. There are different kinds of humor.

EDIT: I think we're talking about 2 different things. You are talking more about visual tone, I'm talking more about if the movie is dramatic, funny, etc.

Last edited by Blackman; 05-25-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #95
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

L0ngsh0t, I can already tell you didn't understand Sucker Punch. Neither did most people. Then again "most people" don't understand the works of David Lynch, Jim Jarmusch, Werner Herzog (the list goes on). I can also already tell, you'd probably hate Heavy Metal.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #96
Blackman
C'mon Son

That's BS. You cant just say: "you didn't get it." Sucker Punch wasn't a good movie to most people because they thought it was boring and uninteresting. Not because they didn't "get it" It wasn't some intellectual, brainy movie

Last edited by Blackman; 05-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #97
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Blackman, you didn't get it. Avoid movies like Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, My Son My Son What Have Ye Done, The Limits of Control, Naked Lunch, Blue Velvet, The Tree of Life, etc (the list is really long). Also avoid Heavy Metal.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #98
Blackman
C'mon Son

Now youre just being condescending. Seen Tree of Life, liked it. Seen Blue Velvet liked it.
Don't make assumptions

and ok if people didnt get Sucker Punch and that's the reason why it bombed, why would you advertise a movie in a similar way

Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #99
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Second that on Sucker Punch. I "got it" I just didn't like the lesson they were teaching, in fact, I hated it, and wished I had left the movie earlier as I had an inkling to do. I realize the point was to be offensive, but that's not something I want, enjoy or find interesting.

Similarly, some people like haunted houses and rollercoasters and enjoy being scared, I don't like that either, but that doesn't mean I don't get it.

And when I go to an open house and end up in a haunted house, I'm going to be peeved, likewise, if I got to see an action movie with cute girls and I end up in something acidic, I'm going to be upset, and I was.

GotG should not be acidic in any way, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ngsh0t View Post
I am betting strongly on GoG. It seems like the right move to introduce some heavy comsmic elements and set up maybe the infinity gems and expand the universe.

I think the space epic elements can really sell the release date I think they are going to want to get an RDJ type casting though.....an actor with some draw maybe as Star-Lord who I think would be a logical character to build a movie around.

Maybe like Ryan Gosling as SL or something
Interesting theories, that makes sense, they were certainly waiting for something. They still seem very ambivalent about a Hulk movie, that might be because they're playing it close, but so close Ruffalo doesn't know and is lobbying for it? Hmmm...

But yeah, casting a heavy hitter as Star Lord is a great first step.

Who do the GotG fight, anyway?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #100
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

So in other words, we should get a 2 hour film with a talking raccoon set in deep space with the tone of Star Wars? A tone that wasn't at all intended when the character was conceived. No thanks. There's a reason this **** is anything but conventional. To approach it conventionally would be ridiculous. The people behind these characters were in a state of mind free of cookie cutter editorial restraints (and high outta their ******* minds). That's why we have people like Rocket Raccoon & Mistress Death & Warlock & so on. It was a tremendously acidic & bizarre time for Marvel comics. A great time.