Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
In other words, you don't know anything about
Yeah. Done here.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #102
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: 2014

^Exactly. You haven't read an issue of Warlock or Silver Surfer in your life. You probably didn't know the name Jim Starlin until all the buzz started for Thanos being in The Avengers.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #103
Boom
I got nothin'

A lot of hostility in here .

Last edited by Boom; 05-25-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #104
Blackman
C'mon Son

It's coming from a lot from a condescending attitude and assumptions made.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #105
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

In an effort to return to the subject at hand, I think 2014 is gonna be a tremendous year for Marvel CBMs. Cap 2, ASM2, GOTG, X-Men Second Class, possibly ANT-MAN & possibly FOX's Daredevil reboot. I don't think there's ever been a year with so many films based on Marvel Comics.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #106
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
A lot of hostility in here .
It's par for the course, really. And this dude wonders why there's a negative perception of him floating around.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #107
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
The people behind these characters were in a state of mind free of cookie cutter editorial restraints (and high outta their ******* minds). That's why we have people like Rocket Raccoon & Mistress Death & Warlock & so on. It was a tremendously acidic & bizarre time for Marvel comics. A great time.
The people making the movies are not free from such restraints, especially if they're getting more than 50M in budget, y'know, the kind needed to bring it to life. I also believe you're conflating the ideas of being bizzare and being acidic, and seem to have high regard for the altered state these creators were in, which is fine, however for those of us trying to stay sober, hanging around high people isn't nearly as much fun. The ideas work, and are still fun, original and breathtaking without being offensive and off putting. They should be modernized, instead of static, demanding the whole world come take an acid trip in order to be worthy of enjoying them.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #108
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

Quote:
^Exactly. You haven't read an issue of Warlock or Silver Surfer in your life. You probably didn't know the name Jim Starlin until all the buzz started for Thanos being in The Avengers.

I don't know why this is important when commenting on the viability of a tone in a movie or a marketing plan

I don't have to have read a single page of anything GoG to tell you that setting your sights on Sucker Punch and the Watchmen as movie comparisons is an awful idea because they are dreadful movies.

You might as well say Thor 2 should use a similar tone as the Paul Anderson 3 Musketeers movie

The other movies you mention I "wouldn't be a fan of" like Mullholland Dr. how much money did they make and why should Marvel opt to make a movie with a similar tone for 150 million? Instead of capitzalizing on more mainstream sci-fi successes like Star Trek and Star Wars?

DMB #41
L0ngsh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #109
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Not just the music. The tone. To try to sell GOTG as a Star Wars movie (a kids movie) would be an enormous mistake. It would alienate people like myself who have been following that aspect of Marvel for 30 years. GOTG should be nothing like Star Wars or Star Trek. I've said it before, if the studio tries to emulate either of the two in an effort to make money, they'll pretty much ruin the picture. You can't do a movie with Rocket Raccoon & play it with a straight face. Just doesn't work. You do it the way his creators did it - the twisted way. "Yep, this Raccoon talks. Ain't it deliciously bizarre?" Not the serious Star Wars/Star Trek way, which would just be deemed stupid after one trailer.
Where did you get Star Wars as being a kids' movie in tone.....?

Granted, the New Trilogy crapfest was aimed squarely at kids because Lucas wanted to hijack a brand new generation; but the Old Trilogy back in the late 70s-early 80s wasn't even remotely aimed at kids. In fact, a lot of the film critics and self-appointed arbiters of morality at the time questioned the darker tone of the whole Skywalker saga, and roundly condemned a worldview and philosophy that directly contradicted Christianity. Old Trilogy was for grownups, and was marketed as such.

And the tone I'm talking about that GOTG should adopt was the same one Lucas adopted back then --- namely, don't take this **** too seriously. OT Star Wars was injected with healthy doses of humor without resorting to camp or parody, and that kind of swashbuckling attitude helped sell the films. *That's* what GOTG is, what GOTG needs, and what will sell the film to audiences who have no clue what the characters or story is about.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #110
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ngsh0t View Post
I don't know why this is important when commenting on the viability of a tone in a movie or a marketing plan

I don't have to have read a single page of anything GoG to tell you that setting your sights on Sucker Punch and the Watchmen as movie comparisons is an awful idea because they are dreadful movies.

You might as well say Thor 2 should use a similar tone as the Paul Anderson 3 Musketeers movie

The other movies you mention I "wouldn't be a fan of" like Mullholland Dr. how much money did they make and why should Marvel opt to make a movie with a similar tone for 150 million? Instead of capitzalizing on more mainstream sci-fi successes like Star Trek and Star Wars?
See that's where I'm at. I dont know anything about GOTG. But still the idea of using Watchmen/Sucker Punch for any kind of template for a film is bad.
Marketing wise= clearly the marketing for either film didnt work because both barely made back their budget at the box office. Visually= a lot of the common complaints was the overuse of slow motion and obviously the visual tone doesnt have a wide audience because, again, neither film did well at the box office. Why would someone out to make money use a tone that clearly does not make money.

As I said I dont know GoTG so maybe the stories do have a tone like Watchmen/Sucker Punch, but saying that it shouldnt have a tone like Star Wars/Star Trek; two very successful films, in favor of two underperformers doesnt make sense with a big budget movie

And I dont think we should kid ourselves, GoTG will probably have the same tone as every other Marvel Studios film so far: funny, adventerous, easily accessible to all ages, and light-hearted (I'm not saying that's a bad thing)

Last edited by Blackman; 05-25-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #111
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
See that's where I'm at. I dont know anything about GOTG. But still the idea of using Watchmen/Sucker Punch for any kind of template for a film is bad.
Marketing wise= clearly the marketing for either film didnt work because both barely made back their budget at the box office. Visually= a lot of the common complaints was the overuse of slow motion and obviously the visual tone doesnt have a wide audience because, again, neither film did well at the box office. Why would someone out to make money use a tone that clearly does not make money.

As I said I dont know GoTG so maybe the stories do have a tone like Watchmen/Sucker Punch, but saying that it shouldnt have a tone like Star Wars/Star Trek; two very successful films, in favor of two underperformers doesnt make sense with a big budget movie

And I dont think we should kid ourselves, GoTG will probably have the same tone as every other Marvel Studios film so far: funny, adventerous, easily accessible to all ages, and light-hearted (I'm not saying that's a bad thing)
I don't think I'd use that to describe The Incredible Hulk.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #112
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I don't think I'd use that to describe The Incredible Hulk.

Which coincidentally feels a little out of place in the universe

DMB #41
L0ngsh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #113
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

cherokeesam, I see where you're coming from when advocating the OT's tone for GOTG. You're right in that they were operatic swashbuckling serials, something I can definitely say has a semblance to what cosmic Marvel should be on-screen. Now here's the problem. The OT takes place a long time ago, in a land far, far away. GOTG will take place in the MCU. In summary, the OT can justify a planet full of teddy bears that behave like Mayans whilst the whole thing would be a complete joke in the MCU. What Starlin & co. were able to do during the "liberated" years, was sell these abstract & outlandish concepts by making the material just as abstract & outlandish as the characters it was trying to sell. Take the revamp that was done to the Silver Surfer series. He'd become boring & useless by being kept on Earth for years until the intoxicated wild bunch led by Starlin threw him deep into the void & began dissecting his very essence whilst exploring the concept of living outside of time & reality in deep space.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #114
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
cherokeesam, I see where you're coming from when advocating the OT's tone for GOTG. You're right in that they were operatic swashbuckling serials, something I can definitely say has a semblance to what cosmic Marvel should be on-screen. Now here's the problem. The OT takes place a long time ago, in a land far, far away. GOTG will take place in the MCU. In summary, the OT can justify a planet full of teddy bears that behave like Mayans whilst the whole thing would be a complete joke in the MCU. What Starlin & co. were able to do during the "liberated" years, was sell these abstract & outlandish concepts by making the material just as abstract & outlandish as the characters it was trying to sell. Take the revamp that was done to the Silver Surfer series. He'd become boring & useless by being kept on Earth for years until the intoxicated wild bunch led by Starlin threw him deep into the void & began dissecting his very essence whilst exploring the concept of living outside of time & reality in deep space.
Yes, that's going to be the hard sell....trying to convince audiences that the GOTG universe is the same one that the Avengers belong to. But I think they've gone a long way towards that already just with the Avengers movie. A few months ago, people were wondering if the (at least semi-)realistic tone that IM, CATFA and TIH (Thor: not so much) had established would be thrown out the window when all these characters would team up to fight off an alien invasion led by a rogue Viking god. But Joss did a damn good job at integrating them into a superhero universe that struck the right chord of fantasy mixed with realism.

In other words: now that the Chitauri, Thanos, and Asgardians are out of the bag, I don't think audiences are going to have any trouble believing that a team of aliens and talking trees and kick-ass raccoons are guarding the *other* end of that same universe.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #115
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ngsh0t View Post

Did someone suggest a Marvel movie like Mullholland Dr? So we'd get a blonde chick losing her memory (maybe Carol Danvers) and then getting it on naked in bed with another hot exotic chick (maybe Scarlet Witch)?

Now why wouldn't Marvel want to make that movie?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #116
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Its a crime, Dark Raven, a CRIME, that Marvel will probably never make that movie.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #117
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yes, that's going to be the hard sell....trying to convince audiences that the GOTG universe is the same one that the Avengers belong to. But I think they've gone a long way towards that already just with the Avengers movie. A few months ago, people were wondering if the (at least semi-)realistic tone that IM, CATFA and TIH (Thor: not so much) had established would be thrown out the window when all these characters would team up to fight off an alien invasion led by a rogue Viking god. But Joss did a damn good job at integrating them into a superhero universe that struck the right chord of fantasy mixed with realism.

In other words: now that the Chitauri, Thanos, and Asgardians are out of the bag, I don't think audiences are going to have any trouble believing that a team of aliens and talking trees and kick-ass raccoons are guarding the *other* end of that same universe.
see that is the big thing for me

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #118
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Empire Magazine has (yet another) interview with Feige, in which he teases this:

Quote:
Most intriguing however were his comments on the mystery 2014 movie. "Our next step," said Feige, "will be to introduce a character outside the Avengers' world."
Not entirely shocking news, I know, but depending on how Feige defines "outside the Avengers' world," this probably narrows the 2014 mystery movie field down to Dr. Strange. With outside possibilities of GOTG or The Inhumans, but "A character" as opposed to plural "characterS" tends to rule that out in the context of his statement. And it seems unlikely he's talking about a character who has the very real potential to become an Avenger, like Ant-Man, Black Panther, or Ms. Marvel.

So, my money is now firmly on Dr. Strange being the 2014 movie.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #119
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

If Ant-Man is outside the MCU world, as has always been reported, then Ant-Man would qualify. Notably, he appears to be the only character with a target shooting date.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #120
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I don't think he'd be talking about Ant-Man since he knows everyone's aware of it and has already made the comment that we might get 3 movies in one year depending on what Edgar Wright gives them.

Ant-Man
seems like a potential "extra" movie in 2014, not the grand mystery one they've been teasing.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #121
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I don't think he'd be talking about Ant-Man since he knows everyone's aware of it and has already made the comment that we might get 3 movies in one year depending on what Edgar Wright gives them.

Ant-Man seems like a potential "extra" movie in 2014, not the grand mystery one they've been teasing.
Yep, that's the way I've always read it....Ant-Man is a wild card, entirely dependent upon the whims of EW's shooting schedule. And all signs seem to point towards it being a *third* 2014 movie.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #122
Boom
I got nothin'

Do we have any estimation as to when the mystery film will be announced?

God, I hope it's Dr. Strange.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #123
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Do we have any estimation as to when the mystery film will be announced?

God, I hope it's Dr. Strange.
I think someone official said they're planning to announce it at Comic-Con.

And I agree, I'm hoping for Strange, too. But I would be pretty psyched about Iron Fist (another one potentially "outside the Avengers' world") as well.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #124
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

feige said out of the avengers world. I'm guessing nova. i doubt they'd be interested in a team concept. they'll best reserve that for the avengers. guardians of the galaxy would kinda confuse that.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #125
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

The plot thickens, but I'm still convinced its GOTG. My guess is he didn't say "Characters" because he knew he'd be giving it away in a heartbeat. And what's with all the secrecy still? The Avengers caught up to TDK's Domestic BO in just 4 weeks. They should announce every project they have in the works all the way through 2018.