The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > PC

Old 08-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default BioWare's: Shadow Realms

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

BioWare Announces Shadow Realms

BioWare has finally revealed the first details on their new game Shadow Realms, which they've been teasing for the last few weeks with a series of cryptic trailers. Shadow Realms is an action RPG that takes place in two different worlds: modern day Earth and a fantasy setting known as Embra. The gameplay is based around co-op, with four players taking control of normal-looking humans and then giving them their choice of supernatural powers. They’ll then take on a fifth player who takes the role of the villainous and powerful Shadowlord, who has the ability to lay traps and control terrifying monsters. Developer BioWare Austin, the same studio behind Star Wars: The Old Republic, wants the gameplay to bring back the feel of old school pen and paper tabletop games by having you and your friends playing together in both co-op and opposition in real time. Shadow Realms is slated to launch late next year, but if you can’t wait that long, you can sign up for the game’s alpha test that kicks off next month.

source: EPN.TV

Last edited by zenith16; 08-13-2014 at 07:40 PM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: BioWare's: Shadow Realms

Shadow Realms interview: Bioware sending out alpha invites next month

at 16:47 on 14 August 2014

Shadow Realms will be playable sooner than anyone expected. Bioware only announced the 4v1 action RPG at Gamescom on Wednesday, but speaking after the EA press conference Bioware Austin General Manager Jeff Hickman revealed that alpha invites will be arriving in players’ inboxes next month. "I've never put a game into a player's hands as early as we're putting this game into players' hands," he told PC Gamer.

source: PC Gamer

Shadow Realms' reveal didn't give us much beyond the broad strokes of its story and the gist of its action RPG combat, but our interview with Hickman helped sketch in some details. We talked about Shadow Realms' D&D roots, how the shadowlord will affect the story, and Bioware's take on episodic storytelling

Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
zenith16
Side-Kick

The RPG Files : Bioware Reveals Never-Ending RPG Posted Aug 16, 2014

Welcome back to the RPG Files, the column where roleplay gamers fly their geek flags proud. Our biggest story this goes right to Bioware with their announcement of Shadow Realms. It sounds like they’re going back to their roots with a fresh, modern spin and we couldn’t be more excited. We also have fresh news straight from Gamescom 2014, so gather your party and join us as we adventure through the stories below!
Read more of Christopher Coke's The RPG Files: Bioware Reveals Never-Ending RPG.
Quote:

If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance that you love or have loved Bioware in your past. With epics such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect under their belt, it’s hard not to be a Bioware fan of some sort. The company has been teasing us with its “You’ve Been Chosen” trailers for weeks now, most recently focusing on Fire. The wait has finally paid off with their announcement of Shadow Realms at this year’s Gamescom.
Shadow Realms is an interesting departure for Bioware in a number of ways. The first, and probably most fundamental, is that the game will focus on online multiplayer and blend four-player cooperative play with PVP. It’s also set in modern times, which is a first for the company, and opens up new avenues for urban fantasy that they’ve never been able to explore before. The game focuses on a reality that extends far beyond our understanding, where “impossible realms” are reached by “hidden pathways separate our existence from a spiraling and ancient world” where “magic, legends, and monsters that inspired our myths are real.” If you liked The Secret World, this looks like the kind of game for you.
What I love about this is that Bioware is beating the drum on how they want Shadow Realms to bring tabletop gaming into the digital age. They wanted to create a story that can go on forever, just like a good DM can keep a campaign going for months and even years, so the game will be episodic and continually built upon. Players will need to party up and go on adventures inspired by the developer’s tabletop experiences: explore “dungeons,” kill monsters, collect treasure, and move through a deep story. All the while a fifth player follows them, hidden in the shadows. This is where PVP comes in.

Bioware wasn’t happy with how, well, shallow AI is compared to an actual dungeon master planning the traps and tactically challenging his players. Shadow Realms’ answer to that is the Shadowlord. While four players team up to succeed, the fifth player tries to stop them at all costs. This player enters the game as the shadowlord, a character-type with its own full story and progression system, and has the power to set traps, cast spells, summon monsters, or even inhabit those monsters to crush the team under his shadowy boot. The shadowlord remains completely invisible to the group until he chooses to reveal himself.
It’s probably clear that I’m super excited about this game. Bioware rose to greatness by sticking close to its tabletop roots. Neverwinter Nights remains one of my favorite RPGs of all time and I spent hours poring over the instruction manual, inadvertently falling in love with the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset it was based on. The prospect of a Bioware story that never ends, especially one set in a twisted, parallel version of modern day, just tickles me. Funcom’s The Secret World showed us how cool and compelling that setting can be and it’s exciting to imagine what the full might of Bioware’s story team might do with it.
That said, there is certainly more that we need to know. The problem with imbalanced PVP games (see, Evolve) is that it’s difficult to make everyone’s experience equally fun. Will everyone want to be the necessarily overpowered Shadowlord? And how overpowered will they actually be? Shadow Realms sounds like it depends on everyone working together to have a good time. Too few limits could mean griefing while and too many will make Shadowlord uninteresting. It’s a delicate balance Bioware will need to be careful with.
Thankfully, they’re promising transparency, so we should get a good idea on all of this as it moves along. Sign up for the alpha already!
In other news:
Casey Hudson has left Bioware. You might remember Casey from his work Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, or any of the Mass Effect games. He describes this as “hitting the reset button” on his career after making sure that Bioware’s new IP, presumably Shadow Realms, had its foundations firmly set.
Before moving on from Bioware, you should also check out the latest trailer for Dragon Age: Inquisition titled “The Enemy of Thedas.” In a surprising turn, Hawke, the protagonist from Dragon Age 2 makes an appearance, indicating that Bioware intends to pull together at least some of the threads from its misguided middle-chapter in the Dragon Age trilogy.
Obsidian Entertainment has secured the rights for the Pathfinder RPG. There was a time when I might have been concerned about Obsidian working on such an iconic RPG (Alpha Protocol, anyone?), but they’ve been knocking it out of the park for some time now with games like South Park: The Stick of Truth and Pillars of Eternity. We don’t know what their plans are yet but it’s exciting to see more movement in the Pathfinder universe.

Dead Island 2 released a new trailer featuring such memorable lines as “come for the sun, stay for the slaughter.” And slaughter they do. This is a gory trailer. Then again, this is an RPG based on creatively dismembering mass amounts of zombies, so… fitting? Someone needs to explain to me how California is a dead “island” though.
Might and Magic Heroes VII was announced, making it the mightiest of all if my math is correct. No release date yet.
Get your thumbs ready, mobile fans, because Dragon Quest IV is on its way to iOS and Android. The game will feature all five chapters and 40+ hours of gameplay, plus an improved interface and party talk to chat with party members.
Last but not least, Destiny revealed a new trailer focusing on cooperative multiplayer to Gamescom attendees. It’s time to buy a console PC fans. It’s a bubble bath of multiplatform love over here and you’re invited to share in the suds.
Before we go, just a brief programming note that the Friday edition of this column may be taking a short, two-week break as I settle into a new career. Thank you for understanding and let us know what you think of the stories above in the comments section!
Read more:
Permalink | 25 comments
Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm#7UMqSXCUOK3fjJq1.99

source:MMORPG.com

Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
zenith16
Side-Kick

General : Shadow Realms: Hands-on with Evil

Posted Aug 17, 2014

In his first report from Gamescom, Gareth Harmer goes hands on with playing an evil Shadowlord in Bioware’s brand new modern-day RPG.
Read more of Gareth Harmer's Shadow Realms: Hands-on with Evil.
Quote:
I am the Shadowlord, a malevolent entity from the dark world of Embra. Four human heroes have entered my lair, one of many Shadow Realms that cluster on my world and yours. With their newfound powers and magic, they think they can defeat me, that they can push back the Shadow Legion. But, with minions under my command and traps at my call, I will unleash brutal defeat upon them.

I also have an ace in the hole – BioWare Design Director Gabe Amatangelo is giving me a few pointers while I play. The studio’s new IP pits four heroes against a single Shadowlord, with players filling the roles on both sides. Just as with classic tabletop RPGs, the idea is that people are unpredictable, and so every encounter or scenario will feel different. Even so, Amatangelo has several more reasons why he thinks players will keep returning to the nightmare.

From the first few moments of combat, Shadow Realms felt instantly familiar – a few years of active MMOs like Guild Wars 2 and WildStar have honed my muscle memory. There are tells and telegraphs to look for, although these are generally at the subtler end. Right-click dodge is already in, and double-tap (I’m told) is on the way. A limited action set of four abilities forces choices about how you want to play, but also means that the game is controller-ready. But the best bit is that the controls are almost identical whichever side you choose.
As slow-moving demons shamble into the room, I welcome the players by throwing a skull bomb into their huddle. A red circle appears on the ground – they have a few seconds to dodge – but it forces them to scatter into my minions. My incorporeal form is invisible to them as I prowl around like the bad guy in a dungeon crawler, but I’m relishing the role. I take possession of a nearby demon, my blue crown of power appearing over its head, alerting the players to my presence. My abilities also change – I can now cast fireballs, and start gleefully throwing them around the room.

The heroes respond quickly, obliterating my brief mortal host with a hail of attacks. Now that the room is clear of Shadow Legion, the barrier drops, allowing them to progress further. I quickly dash ahead, placing a spike trap just behind the doorway. The first one to move in triggers it, so I follow it up with a bomb while they’re impaled on the spikes. One of the players is now downed, requiring a precious Revive to get back up. The team of heroes only has two, so this early rush has cost them dearly.
While it doesn’t feel like a typical BioWare RPG, Shadow Realms will still have some of those classic studio elements. We’ll be able to create characters, choose their gender, appearance, and one of six classes, before bringing them into the modern-day fantasy setting. Creative Director James Ohlen also explained that there would be a “BioWare-quality story,” with cinematic storytelling that includes game-impacting choices. And, much like other RPGs, we’ll be able to level up and gain new abilities as we progress.

In another first for the studio, Shadow Realms will be delivered episodically, much like a TV series. Ohlen described how the story would unfold over time, running the gamut of flirtations, romances, consequences and betrayal. He added that the benefit of episodic releases is the community involvement in anticipating the new content and speculating where the story will go. And, if you get left behind, you’ll also be able to catch up without missing anything.
As the heroes progress further, they reach a checkpoint, gaining further revive tokens and unlocking extra abilities. I also gain a further one – in addition to my bomb and spike trap, I can now create a doppelganger of any hero. I instantly use it, going ham on a weakened hero with the abilities they have themselves. I can hear the commotion on the other side of the room as they try to work out what’s happened, and grin wickedly.
Both heroes and Shadowlords will have access to new abilities and equipment as they level up, unlocking them for use in an action set. Equipment will also have an impact - battle axes, swords and sigils will all work in different ways. Amatangelo hopes that this will allow players to tune and experiment with classes, encouraging replayability through deep combat customization.
We enter another room, this time with pre-made traps that I just have to arm. I rush forward and do so, quickly taking out another hero. The demons in here are more numerous, with some toting heavy armor and greatswords. But then I spot the perfect weapon – a hulking Banewolf. Taking possession, I leap towards a hero, who instantly turns and flees up some stairs. I give chase, the stone bannister crumbling beneath the massive creature. I grin again as they realize they’ve reached a dead end, and charge forward to attack.

This time, the Shadow Legion won, but Amatangelo added that players would be rewarded whatever the outcome. It’s not clear what form that would take – Shadow Realms is in very early alpha at present – but it will likely take shape with input from fans. He stressed that transparency will be central to Shadow Realms’ development, referencing the “old-school days of BioWare.” A business model hasn’t been decided yet either, but will likely involve input from the emerging community.
At this very early stage though, Shadow Realms is a fun, fresh experience that has a nice blend of new ideas and nostalgia notes. Powered by the Frostbite 3 engine, it’s already looking great and feeling slick, and early focus testing has clearly helped. It remains to be seen if the studio will hit the replayability it’s striving for, but the potential is definitely there. If you’re interested in taking a peek for yourself, alpha signups are open.
Permalink | 10 comments
Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm#wi12k1sk1X7pVzpD.99

Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
zenith16
Side-Kick

Shadow Realms hands-on: blowing up heroes as the evil ghost of Bomberman

at 00:54 on 30 August 2014
I'm not sure how a 'fan event' can also be the first time anyone in the room is playing the game they're meant to be fans of, but that didn't stop BioWare. Earlier tonight I joined a bunch of preemptive fans to play Shadow Realms, Bioware's new 4v1 action RPG—and I got to be the one. Not Jet Li (I wish), but the Shadowlord, an invisible creature who floats around the dungeons dropping traps and possessing monsters. And I was a real dick about it.

with

BioWare's Shadow Realms is 4-on-1, action-RPG mayhem

(3 minutes ago)

"We're focused on delivering the unexpected," Shadow Realms Senior Producer Dallas Dickinson said during a demonstration event at PAX Prime this weekend. After seeing the game in action, "unexpected" doesn't even begin to describe the chaos that will soon be unleashed by a developer rooted in deliberately paced single-player RPGs.

BioWare's Shadow Realms is a 4-versus-1 competitive multiplayer game that aims to capture the unpredictable nature of a dungeon master directing a tabletop game. The result is a deft mixture of Left 4 Dead and Tecmo's Deception series, challenging a party of players to navigate deadly dungeons overseen by a sadistic and omnipresent human opponent. Continue Reading

source: Pc gamer & JoyStiq

Last edited by zenith16; 08-31-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
zenith16
Side-Kick

RSS

Shadow Realms : 4v1 Awesomness at PAX Prime

Posted Sep 03, 2014

Shadow Realms is the next RPG to come out of Star Wars: The Old Republic developer BioWare Austin. With Shadow Realms, BioWare hopes to recreate the tabletop RPG experience by pitting a group of four players against a fifth player playing as a ‘Shadowlord’ who essentially acts as the mission’s dungeon master.
Read more of Mike Bitton's Shadow Realms: 4v1 Awesomeness at PAX Prime.

Quote:
Shadow Realms is an action RPG where you’ll be able to create your own character, select your gender, customize your appearance, and take part in all the typical BioWare RPG trappings, such as participating in conversations and making impactful choices, romance, betraying others and being betrayed yourself, etc. This story will also be doled out episodically, like a TV show, with the intention of making the story itself a social experience that is well suited to generating the sort of ‘water cooler talk’ that popular TV shows are known to create.

This story will mostly be delivered through the game’s singleplayer experience, meaning you’ll have your conversations and make important decisions outside of the game’s actual missions. This is a lesson learned from Star Wars: The Old Republic and other games that try to do story in a multiplayer environment, which often results in players skipping through cutscenes or ‘spacebarring’ as it’s called in SW:TOR. Basically, you’ll get to fully digest and enjoy the story of Shadow Realms without feeling rushed to skip things when playing with friends.
Once you’ve gone through all your story stuff and you’re ready to jump into the next mission, you’ll be matched up with four other players. Three on your team and one playing the Shadowlord (or you can choose to play as the Shadowlord). Each mission is an instanced dungeon romp where your goal is to make it to the end and defeat the boss all the while the person playing the Shadowlord does everything and anything they can to stop you. Shadowlords have a ton of tools at their disposal, too. They can determine the types of creatures that will be in the mission, possess any of these creatures at any time, lay traps, alter the available routes players can go down, and even create doppelgangers of your teammates to use against you.
Each of the game’s six classes (Warrior, Assassin, Wizard, Ranger, Cleric, and Warlock) as well as the Shadowlord all feature their own progression paths. You’ll level up, earn gear, unlock abilities, and spend talent points to customize your loadout for whatever goal or play style you’re looking for. If you want to be a massive single target DPS Assassin, you can do that. The same is true if you want to focus your Assassin on crowd control. These loadouts can also be switched at checkpoints within a mission.

If you feel like your DPS Assassin is wasted on a group full of DPS but lacking CC, you can go ahead and switch to your crowd control focused Assassin loadout at the next checkpoint. Another interesting thing BioWare is doing with Shadow Realms is the fact that gear is mostly class agnostic. Assassins may start out dual wielding blades and light armor, but if you want to go ahead and be an Assassin with heavy armor and a two handed sword, you’re welcome to go that route as well.
For our demo matches, I did opt for the Assassin class since I tend to gravitate towards that style of play. Ability wise, your loadout will consist of four active abilities (three normal and one sort of ultimate ability) and a couple of passives. My Assassin came loaded out with a teleporting backstab, a fan of knives attack, and a piercing drill move that lunged me forward through enemies. Left click is your basic attack and right click is your dodge. Dodging uses up energy, so timing your dodges is important, and the lighter your armor, the more energy you’ll have for dodging. Being that I was wearing light armor, I couldn’t take many hits, so the name of the game was to sort of bob-and-weave through groups of enemies, striking quickly and flipping away from reprisal. It was chaotic, but incredibly fun. Typically, I would drill through a group of enemies (or large single target), backflip away, shoot out a fan of knives, and then teleport back onto my target and slash a couple of times before repeating the same sort of rotation. This made me incredibly slippery and hard for the enemy Shadowlord to deal with.
Not only did I have to be mindful of my positioning with regards to swarming enemies, but I also had to keep in mind that the enemy Shadowlord could be laying traps for me at any given moment. I had to be quick on my dodge button to escape a number of spike traps laid out for my team and eventually our Shadowlord was clever enough to lay fire bombs behind me, anticipating me dodging from his spike trap only to have me land into similarly painful fire bombs.
If you do get hurt though, you’ll have a limited number of potions you can use to heal yourself, or if you’re downed, the team can use a pool of available Trauma Kits in order to bring you back to your feet if they can get to you in time.

My party managed to work our way all the way to the demon king boss at the end and defeat him on our first try, but our Shadowlord learned from his mistakes on our second go around and sought to divide and conquer us once we again reached the final boss fight. Clever use of possession of the boss itself as well as doppelgangers of my own teammates forced us to separate from each other and leave us vulnerable to being downed while our teammates were unable to assist while dealing with their own problems. We played a couple of matches and while the map and enemies were the same, the experience varied with each match and there were many surprises to be had. It’s easy to see how the game could be a whole lot of fun with friends and the experience felt exceptionally polished for this early stage of development.
BioWare is also taking a different approach to development of Shadow Realms. The studio intends to get the game into players’ hands as soon as possible (alpha kicks off within a month or so) and the team is eager to leverage this method to get feedback fast and early. Seeking to develop the game in tandem with its fans, we were told there’s no pride lost in being proven wrong about anything in the game. If players can prove something isn’t good enough or otherwise not working well, the team wants to hear it and make the necessary changes. The hope is that this process will result in a tighter and more compelling experience when the game officially launches late next year.
Permalink | 2 comments

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm#xEtj6rGXJFdKm2TZ.99

Old 09-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
zenith16
Side-Kick

Shadow Realms

PAX Prime 2014: Multiplayer Gameplay Interview

Andrea uncovers more details on the story and multiplayer mechanics in this Interview from PAX Prime 2014 with BioWare Senior Producer Dallas Dickinson!
Views: 9,386 | Posted: 09/03/2014

source: GT

Old 10-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
zenith16
Side-Kick

BioWare delays Shadow Realms' alpha

(6 hours ago)
Betas, Business Models, New Titles, News Items, Miscellaneous, OARPG

The planned closed alpha test for Shadow Realms, the not-so-massive BioWare OARPG announced back in August, is being delayed, says a new producer letter on the official site. Senior Producer Dallas Dickinson says the devs just "need a bit more time" to gather and process player feedback:
One of the most important things to us on Shadow Realms is listening to – and making changes based on – that player feedback. Having fans play the game at Gamescom and PAX Prime gave us incredible insight. [...] The thing is, feedback was so good it made us want to do more, to get a bit further down the road, before opening Shadow Realms up again. We got so many excellent questions about what the game will be, beyond just the multiplayer piece that we've revealed, and we'd like to be able to show you some answers rather than just telling you what the answers will one day be. But we need a bit more time. We've taken a deep look at the state of the game – what it is now, what we intend it to be, and most importantly what it could be – and realized this is an opportunity to take a great game and make it even better before bringing it back for more feedback from you.
Dickinson promises regular producer letters in the coming months. Interested gamers can still sign up for alpha on the official site.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It looks like Infamous.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
zenith16
Side-Kick

lol well it's not. This will also have to be moved to misc too. they told the press late that this will be multi plat & they were just making the pc version perfect first

Old 01-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
zenith16
Side-Kick

Rumor: BioWare's Shadow Realms 'totally rebooted'

(46 minutes ago)
Fantasy, Business Models, MMO Industry, New Titles, News Items

Shadow Realms is "going through big changes and may have been totally rebooted," according to an unnamed source who spoke to Kotaku. BioWare's episodic online action RPG was revealed in August of last year and was hit with an alpha delay on October 31st.

A "reliable source familiar with goings-on at BioWare Austin" tells Kotaku that the title was revamped in October and "will now have a full campaign." Why the changes? Apparently BioWare's decision to embrace the integration of EA's digital store and Origin coincided with the decision to reboot Shadow Realms. "Developers at EA take budget hits if they don't use internal technology and services," Kotaku says.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #13
deadpo0l

Bioware has always been my favorite game dev, but I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feeling i usually get when I see this one. Definitely will try it though.

deadpo0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
zenith16
Side-Kick

Shadow Realms : Rumors of Cancellation Bubbling to the Surface

Posted Feb 09, 2015 by Suzie Ford

GameInformer.com is reporting that "multiple sources" are telling them that Bioware's much-hyped Shadow Realms is dead in the water. There are no links to original sources for the rumors nor any word as to whether or not those providing the tips have inside information. What we do know is that little to no information about the darling of last year's Gamescom has come out since that time.
GameInformer.com reached out to confirm the rumors but EA declined to comment.
Read more at the link above. We'll keep you posted as the story develops.

Permalink | 9 comments

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/p...EOualSCMGhB.99

source: GI& MMORPG.com

Last edited by zenith16; 02-09-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #15
zenith16
Side-Kick

Shadow Realms : UPDATE: Cancellation Official due to SWTOR's Big Year

Posted Feb 09, 2015

UPDATE @ 5pm EST: It seems Jeff Hickman has confirmed it for BioWare Austin, Shadow Realms is dead and gone, due to the bigger projects coming down the pipe and a big year for SWTOR specifically. Find the full details at the link beyond.
Sorry for the delayed update! We (Suzie/Bill) were getting our kids from school and getting dinner for the family respectively.
GameInformer.com is reporting that "multiple sources" are telling them that Bioware's much-hyped Shadow Realms is dead in the water. There are no links to original sources for the rumors nor any word as to whether or not those providing the tips have inside information. What we do know is that little to no information about the darling of last year's Gamescom has come out since that time.
GameInformer.com reached out to confirm the rumors but EA declined to comment.
Read more at the link above. We'll keep you posted as the story develops.

Permalink | 45 comments

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/p...XMRBAHjQ8tt.99

source: MMORPG.com

Old 02-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #16
zenith16
Side-Kick

Michael Bitton : The Bizarre Life and Death of Shadow Realms

Posted Feb 11, 2015

The short period of time between Shadow Realms’ announcement and its subsequent cancelation has left me back where I started: scratching my head. I can’t help but wonder what went on internally to make for such a sudden shift within a couple of months.
Read more of Michael Bitton's The Bizarre Life and Death of Shadow Realms.
Quote:
As an RPG fan, when you hear that BioWare will be announcing a new IP, you tend to sit up and listen. The new IP was teased with an ARG leading up to the game’s announcement at Gamescom 2014. Dubbed Shadow Realms, BioWare’s new IP was to have been a 4v1 asymmetric multiplayer action RPG set in modern times with a healthy dose of magic tossed in. The goal was to recreate the pen-and-paper dungeon crawl experience with players going up against the Shadowlord, who was essentially the dungeon master. This didn’t really come through in the announcement trailer, however. I remember thinking to myself, “Wait. That’s it?” after watching it. It all looked, well, fairly hum-drum and generic. A cursory glance across the interwebs resulted in similar head scratching reactions from gamers.

For me, things didn’t actually click until I got a chance to sample the game for myself at PAX Prime 2014. I wrote all about it at length, but to sum things up, I found myself really enjoying the slice of the game I got to play. After playing a couple of rounds, I could really see myself having fun in Shadow Realms with friends back home once the game finally released.
Speaking of release, BioWare surprised everyone when they announced that were essentially going to take a sort of Early Access approach to the game’s development by inviting people to the alpha much earlier than usual in order to really take advantage of player feedback. It made things all the more bizarre when months rolled on by and there wasn’t a peep from BioWare on alpha plans. If things weren’t looking good for the game, why even announce any of that? Odd.
Updates from the team were less and less frequent and eventually, rumors surfaced that suggested Shadow Realms was being rebooted altogether. Finally, it all came to a head this week when BioWare Austin general manager Jeff Hickman announced that the studio was ceasing development on Shadow Realms in order to focus on assisting existing projects such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, the next Mass Effect game, other unnamed new IP, and, of course, focus on the studio’s bread-and-butter, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The short period of time between Shadow Realms’ announcement and its subsequent cancelation has left me back where I started: scratching my head. I can’t help but wonder what went on internally to make for such a sudden shift within a couple of months. Was the game not received as well as the studio hoped for in the press or by fans at shows? Or was this a simple business calculation having to do with resources? I suppose we’ll never know.
Maybe Shadow Realms was a disaster internally; I don’t know. What I can tell you is that the version I got to play was fun. Even though my time with the game was fairly brief, it scratched that itch for me. That itch you hope to find in any new game, the one that keeps you coming back over and over. I don’t know that Shadow Realms was going to take the world by storm – but I do think that if BioWare had a gem on its hands, it’s a shame that gamers out there won’t ever have a chance to see it for themselves.
Were you looking forward to Shadow Realms? Share your thoughts with us below!

Michael Bitton / Michael began his career at the WarCry Network in 2005 as the site manager for several different WarCry fansite portals. In 2008, Michael worked for the startup magazine Massive Gamer as a columnist and online news editor. In June of 2009, Michael joined MMORPG.com as the site's Community Manager.
Article By: Michael Bitton
Created On: February 11, 2015
Permalink | 13 comments

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/p...4gy5vfkS6qc.99

source: MMORPG.com