The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
Racetrack
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who thinks Thanos is going to be saved as the main villain in Avengers 3?

Avengers 2: Ultron
Avengers 3: Thanos

Racetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
BatVader

Default Re: Who thinks Thanos is going to be saved as the main villain in Avengers 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Based on the interview Whedon gave on Thanos, its safe to say they're going the Star Wars route with The Avengers series. In Avengers 2, Thanos will either defeat the team or enslave Earth (or both) & leave the film in a very Empire Strikes Backish way. In Avengers 3, they'll figure out how to defeat him & he'll fall Palpatine-style. In A New Hope, the heroes won the battle, not the war. In The Avengers, the heroes won the battle not the war. In Empire, a hero fell (if only temporarily) & the others were left in peril. In Avengers 2, I'm sure someone will die & things will end bad for Mankind. The architecture for this series is perfect IMO. In 2018, if all goes as planned, we should be getting the ultimate showdown between Earth's Mightiest Heroes & The Mad Titan. Who knows where they'll go from there, if anywhere.
^ yup, this.

BatVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
AvengeME
Banned User

I think Black Widow could get killed off. She is more suited for spinoffs and prequel type stuff anyhow. Plus there are other females that could replace her. They will never kill off Iron Man, although he is the Han Solo type. If RDJ wants to leave after Avengers 2, they might do something dramatic with the character. Unlikely, but possible. Cap won't die until Cap 3 or Avengers 3 earliest.

AvengeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #29
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Based on the interview Whedon gave on Thanos, its safe to say they're going the Star Wars route with The Avengers series. In Avengers 2, Thanos will either defeat the team or enslave Earth (or both) & leave the film in a very Empire Strikes Backish way. In Avengers 3, they'll figure out how to defeat him & he'll fall Palpatine-style. In A New Hope, the heroes won the battle, not the war. In The Avengers, the heroes won the battle not the war. In Empire, a hero fell (if only temporarily) & the others were left in peril. In Avengers 2, I'm sure someone will die & things will end bad for Mankind. The architecture for this series is perfect IMO. In 2018, if all goes as planned, we should be getting the ultimate showdown between Earth's Mightiest Heroes & The Mad Titan. Who knows where they'll go from there, if anywhere.
Exactly what I am thinking. Although I am still hoping for a different main villian in avengers 2.

jaqua99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #30
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It depends on how much of Thanos we see during "Phase II."

Don't quote me on this, cuz it's just a hunch, but I think Feige is working on a theory that one megavillain is the "central" villain of each phase of the MCU. MCU Phase I was IM 1 & 2, Thor, CATFA, TIH, and Avengers. Loki was the "central villain" of that phase, but the real unifying thread there was, of course, the Avengers themselves assembling.

I believe MCU Phase II is shaping up to be Thor 2, IM 3, CA2, Avengers 2 and at least one unnamed movie (that may or may not be Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, TIH2, or GOTG as the likeliest candidates). I also believe, as I stated earlier, that Thanos will play small to middlin' roles in some, if not all, of these films, and culminate in a showdown in Avengers 2.

And yes, that means I don't believe in the trilogy theory. I do not believe for one second that Marvel Studios has set themselves up to be finite, to already have an "ending" planned for their grand business venture. MCU Phase III will take the Avengers in a new direction, *minus* Thanos, but there'll be a whole new story arc with a central villain set up for an Avengers 3 showdown. Could be a Kree-Skrull story arc, a Kang story arc, a MOE story arc, Inhumans, Atlantis Attacks, or something else.
Not going to lie. I would hate this. lol. Like a lot.

I hope to god you are wrong ahhaha

Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #31
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

It seems like they certainly are going with the star wars route. Maybe mixing some villian (hoping ultron) and Thanos in Avengers 2. Thanos flat out defeats the avengers, gets the gauntlet assembled. At the end though. Im thinking a more personal story like joss said, and to me, thanos doesnt fit.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #32
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

By "personal" Joss clearly means "not triumphant". In other words, a dark movie. No Schwarma scene after the credits. Just a tiny glimmer of hope that there is hope (maybe a scene where the survivors meet Warlock). Regarding who might die, my money's on Cap. Evans is only signed to 4 films & something tells me he'll wanna jump ship after Avengers 2. Naturally, you'd expect the Han Solo character to get KIA (Tony) but Cap dying only amplifies his heroicness. I'm thinking something along the lines of Thanos completes the Gauntlet, the heroes make their stand against him & Cap is sacrificed to save someone on the team. The survivors flee (Firefly-style) & mourn their fallen comrade as they devise a plan to take back the planet. In Avengers 3 (2018) we see this plan, which will hopefully involve The GOTG, Strange & BP. A global battle ensues while someone takes on The Titan head on (Thor or Warlock). This series has enormous potential & Whedon using the Star Wars trilogy as a template is simply perfect.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #33
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I dont think Cap will bite it. It's gusty, and I like it, but I don't see Marvel killing off an Icon like Steve, I think they'll want to keep that going for a while yet. If anyone's expendable I would think its the guy without his own franchise, ie Hulk. Guy's loved by the GA but doesn't really bring in the $ like the big three can.

Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #34
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Where are you people finding "evidence" that they're going a "Star Wars" or trilogy or "darker" route with Phase II? Here's what we *do* know about Phase II:

*IM3 -- involves Extremis story arc; takes place in America and China and possibly the Middle East; features at least one known villain, Coldblood; features a team of Chinese armored soldiers; features Dr. Aldrich Killian played by a major actor, Guy Pearce --- Killian was only a two-frame role in the comics, but apparently will be more important to this story

*Thor 2 --- involves Thor and Jane Foster traveling across the Nine Realms; Idris Elba suggests that it will explore the identity of the Asgardians a little more closely; Hemsworth hints that Loki might get "redemption" in this movie

*Captain America 2 --- set in the modern world; Cap will have close ties to SHIELD

*May 2014 movie, yet to be identified --- likely contenders for that role include Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, or even Hulk 2 (although to be fair, they haven't said for sure they're ready to bring Hulk back to the big screen)

*Avengers 2 --- probably involves *at least* a small role by Thanos, who was teased at the end of Avengers 2

Marvel hasn't said anything about "Phase III," or whether it's supposed to be some final movement, or just another chapter in a continuing saga.

Going from film history alone, it's far more likely that Marvel is doing each "phase" as a self-contained "saga" with films that are standalone, in the main, but very loosely connected through a central figure. In Phase I, Nick Fury/SHIELD was that central figure, and the assembly of the Avengers was the unifying thread.

For Phase II, I think the arrow points to Thanos being the unifying thread, with the Phase II movies I listed above having a vague connection to the Mad Titan somehow.

All you people still hanging on to the Star Wars analogy, consider this: Star Wars *sets up* the unifying thread in the very first movie. By movie's end, we *know* what the series is going to be about --- an overarcing tale of the Rebellion against the Empire. There's nothing in Phase I of the Avengers that points to a central story arch that's going to span three Phases....no central enemy, no all-encompassing war, no core group of heroes (despite all the speculation we're doing, we *really* have no clue what kind of Avengers roster will show up for Avengers 2, let alone Avengers 3).

Maybe as we learn more about IM3 and Thor 2, a clearer picture will develop about Marvel's plans for MCU's future, but until then, I'm not going to blindly assume we're looking at a rigid 3-act structure, like some of you clearly hope. What worked for Star Wars and Nolan's Batman and Raimi's Spider-Man may not work for the MCU at all. (And the jury is still out until the end of this summer as to how well the "trilogy, then reboot" strategy works for Bats and Spidey.)

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #35
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
By "personal" Joss clearly means "not triumphant". In other words, a dark movie. No Schwarma scene after the credits. Just a tiny glimmer of hope that there is hope (maybe a scene where the survivors meet Warlock). Regarding who might die, my money's on Cap. Evans is only signed to 4 films & something tells me he'll wanna jump ship after Avengers 2. Naturally, you'd expect the Han Solo character to get KIA (Tony) but Cap dying only amplifies his heroicness. I'm thinking something along the lines of Thanos completes the Gauntlet, the heroes make their stand against him & Cap is sacrificed to save someone on the team. The survivors flee (Firefly-style) & mourn their fallen comrade as they devise a plan to take back the planet. In Avengers 3 (2018) we see this plan, which will hopefully involve The GOTG, Strange & BP. A global battle ensues while someone takes on The Titan head on (Thor or Warlock). This series has enormous potential & Whedon using the Star Wars trilogy as a template is simply perfect.
We dont know what he meant by personal. To me, that still screams ultron, and if we do get an antman movie in 2014, well, to me, its going to have to be ultron. I see no reason to make an antman movie, or to include him in the lineup without using him as a reason for there to be Ultron. Not to mention, I dont think It will come down to Warlock and Thor vs Thanos. If the Gauntlet is complete, its going to operate on a much large scale, and Thanos will NOT enslave the earth. Come on. Thanos? he just wants to kill and destroy. He was just using earth to see if there is anyone capable of stopping him. Maybe him enslaving earth could happen, just for kicks on his part, but his goal will be ATLEAST galactic level destruction. We know his power is going to operate on a much bigger than Earthly scale. The beginning of the movie "The Earth will be his, and the Universe, yours"

Last edited by jaqua99; 05-17-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #36
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Where are you people finding "evidence" that they're going a "Star Wars" or trilogy or "darker" route with Phase II? Here's what we *do* know about Phase II:

*IM3 -- involves Extremis story arc; takes place in America and China and possibly the Middle East; features at least one known villain, Coldblood; features a team of Chinese armored soldiers; features Dr. Aldrich Killian played by a major actor, Guy Pearce --- Killian was only a two-frame role in the comics, but apparently will be more important to this story

*Thor 2 --- involves Thor and Jane Foster traveling across the Nine Realms; Idris Elba suggests that it will explore the identity of the Asgardians a little more closely; Hemsworth hints that Loki might get "redemption" in this movie

*Captain America 2 --- set in the modern world; Cap will have close ties to SHIELD

*May 2014 movie, yet to be identified --- likely contenders for that role include Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, or even Hulk 2 (although to be fair, they haven't said for sure they're ready to bring Hulk back to the big screen)

*Avengers 2 --- probably involves *at least* a small role by Thanos, who was teased at the end of Avengers 2

Marvel hasn't said anything about "Phase III," or whether it's supposed to be some final movement, or just another chapter in a continuing saga.

Going from film history alone, it's far more likely that Marvel is doing each "phase" as a self-contained "saga" with films that are standalone, in the main, but very loosely connected through a central figure. In Phase I, Nick Fury/SHIELD was that central figure, and the assembly of the Avengers was the unifying thread.

For Phase II, I think the arrow points to Thanos being the unifying thread, with the Phase II movies I listed above having a vague connection to the Mad Titan somehow.

All you people still hanging on to the Star Wars analogy, consider this: Star Wars *sets up* the unifying thread in the very first movie. By movie's end, we *know* what the series is going to be about --- an overarcing tale of the Rebellion against the Empire. There's nothing in Phase I of the Avengers that points to a central story arch that's going to span three Phases....no central enemy, no all-encompassing war, no core group of heroes (despite all the speculation we're doing, we *really* have no clue what kind of Avengers roster will show up for Avengers 2, let alone Avengers 3).

Maybe as we learn more about IM3 and Thor 2, a clearer picture will develop about Marvel's plans for MCU's future, but until then, I'm not going to blindly assume we're looking at a rigid 3-act structure, like some of you clearly hope. What worked for Star Wars and Nolan's Batman and Raimi's Spider-Man may not work for the MCU at all. (And the jury is still out until the end of this summer as to how well the "trilogy, then reboot" strategy works for Bats and Spidey.)
True. But then again, I dont buy this either.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #37
marcvader
Lurker #1

No one outside of MS knows and that's the only fact we have. If you put all the movies prior to Avengers together you still don't know your getting what we got in Avengers other than the team getting together against a common foe. So us knowing the basic premises of the upcoming sequels doesn't give us one iota of what to expect in Avengers 2.

I personally like the upen ended trilogy idea but without a permanent death to a major character in the middle film. I do like the temporary feel of defeat though ala ESB.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #38
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

^Hulk would be another great candidate for martyrdom in Avengers 2. Not as meaningful & heroic as the death of Steve Rogers would be, but impactful nonetheless. Also, as far as the Ultron theories, ANT-MAN's still in the air. It may or may or not be a part of Phase II. Its up to Wright whether it gets made pre-Avengers 2 or post-Avengers 2. That alone implies that whilst that film would have its own personal arc, that said arc wouldn't become the threat of Avengers 2. There's a reason Whedon introduced us to The Mad Titan as the closing statement to the first film. We now have to wait 3 years to hang out with that Titan. Not 6.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #39
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
^Hulk would be another great candidate for martyrdom in Avengers 2. Not as meaningful & heroic as the death of Steve Rogers would be, but impactful nonetheless. Also, as far as the Ultron theories, ANT-MAN's still in the air. It may or may or not be a part of Phase II. Its up to Wright whether it gets made pre-Avengers 2 or post-Avengers 2. That alone implies that whilst that film would have its own personal arc, that said arc wouldn't become the threat of Avengers 2. There's a reason Whedon introduced us to The Mad Titan as the closing statement to the first film. We now have to wait 3 years to hang out with that Titan. Not 6.
Why are we assuming that Phase II will feature one main villian, and Phase III will feature one main villian? With this being said, we dont need for there to be a story arc for a villian.

So you work for marvel? Since you know we wont be waiting 6 years? What else can you tell me about future franchises?!? I want to know.

You don't know. we have know idea. If it were up to me, and I was going to have Thanos in the MCU, and if I planned on saving him for the 3rd movie, (atleast as the PRIMARY antagonist), then hell yes, I would tease him at the end of the avengers, just so the audience knows his presence..

Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #40
Blackman
King Kong

This is how I want to see Thanos handled. More or less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ngsh0t View Post
Avengers 2:
Star-Lord or Adam Warlock come to Earth and their presence alerts SHIELD, they tell them that because of the events of Thor 2 the once thought of mythic Infinty Gems are now known to be a science instead of just a fable. The Mad-Titan Thanos is storming the galaxy, killing anything in his way to assemble the Gauntlet. The Avengers must go and find the rest of the infinity gems and guard them in Asgard, the best equipped place in the universe to battle a cosmic threat like Thanos, so the Avengers travel the galaxy and find the gems and guard them in Asgard to prepare for a huge war.

However Adam Warlock reveals himself to be a servant of the Lord Titan Thanos (clearly under mind control) and battles the avengers with sleeper cell members of the Universal church of truth. A lone spaceship lands in Asgard and Thanos walks out, revealed in full for the first time--Warlock hands him the Gauntlet, Thanos grins and blasts Warlock with a load of energy saying your services will no longer be needed.

The Avengers are noticabley terrified and they actually flee as Asgard crumbles around them with the flick of Thanos wrist. Odin tells them that he is going to use all the power he can summon and get the Avengers back to Earth....they are the universes last hope, he tells them with the Bifrost still broken it will keep Thanos in Asgard for the time being. He sends Adam Warlock too, then Odin implodes with a white light and all the Avengers appear on Earth, Odin is presumed dead so Thor is broken up. Loki says something like "The All-Father could have sent Thanos and Asgard into the Abyss...it could be years before he comes out." Fury "we'll have to be ready when he does."

A3: Opening scene is Thanos meeting death as a woman. and then it's basically about the infinity gauntlet and avengers being the only ones who can stop them. Maybe some self sacrficie by Loki who knows
Although I think that the Avengers 2 idea would have too much repercussions and effects on a third Thor movie, I still think the idea would be cool

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #41
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Where the hell are people getting this idea that Thanos will not be the villain of Avengers 2 but rather Avengers 3? It makes no sense at all. It reminds me of all the people here who said "THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THANOS WILL COME OUT IN THE AVENGERS". Look how that turned out. Whedon showed us Thanos because Thanos is coming. He didn't tease us to then not use Thanos in the next film. Thanos will be the villain of Avengers 2. Again, you don't tease Palpatine in Empire Strikes Back to NOT use him in ROTJ. Just doesn't make sense. You don't tease Harry following in his father's footsteps at the end of SM2 to then go absolutely nowhere with it in SM3. The great thing about Thanos being teased in The Avengers is that there are 5 intermediate films where you can prolong that tease until you finally use him fully in Avengers 2. They did the same thing with The Avenger Initiative. Teased in 5 solo films before coming to fruition. IM3, Thor II, Cap 2 & GOTG will further set up the arrival of Thanos.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #42
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I imagine we'll see Thanos in TA2 though I don't think he'll be the exact front and centre threat, I think he'll be acting through some other force, much like how Palpatine used various apprentices throught the prequel trilogy.

Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #43
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Where the hell are people getting this idea that Thanos will not be the villain of Avengers 2 but rather Avengers 3? It makes no sense at all. It reminds me of all the people here who said "THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THANOS WILL COME OUT IN THE AVENGERS". Look how that turned out. Whedon showed us Thanos because Thanos is coming. He didn't tease us to then not use Thanos in the next film. Thanos will be the villain of Avengers 2. Again, you don't tease Palpatine in Empire Strikes Back to NOT use him in ROTJ. Just doesn't make sense. You don't tease Harry following in his father's footsteps at the end of SM2 to then go absolutely nowhere with it in SM3. The great thing about Thanos being teased in The Avengers is that there are 5 intermediate films where you can prolong that tease until you finally use him fully in Avengers 2. They did the same thing with The Avenger Initiative. Teased in 5 solo films before coming to fruition. IM3, Thor II, Cap 2 & GOTG will further set up the arrival of Thanos.
Thats not what some of us are suggesting. No one is saying he won't be in 2. Just not the main villian, or the main story. I see it centering around another villian, with him making appearances throughout the movie, and then something big in like, the last 30 minutes or so.

Not to mention that Either Joss or Fiege has said that they have a BIG Marvel Film event for 2017 or 2018, what else could that be?

Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #44
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Thats not what some of us are suggesting. No one is saying he won't be in 2. Just not the main villian, or the main story. I see it centering around another villian, with him making appearances throughout the movie, and then something big in like, the last 30 minutes or so.

Not to mention that Either Joss or Fiege has said that they have a BIG Marvel Film event for 2017 or 2018, what else could that be?
Could be a lot of things. Like the return of film rights to Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four or X-Men.

To be honest, why would you assume an Avengers sequel would be considered "a big film event?" The big film event happened in 2012. Avengers 2 is just a sequel....there's no reason to play coy or try to hype it beyond what it already is.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #45
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
I love the sound of this, but I have my doubts that Whedon would actually want to go in that direction considering he regularly (but jokingly) bashes the ending of Empire Strikes Back. He's said things like, "that movie didn't even have an ending!" and when talking Avengers, I remember him saying something to the effect of, "I wanted to make sure this felt like a complete movie. Han is not frozen in carbonite at the end of it."

I'm pretty sure he actually loves ESB, but he might not be too keen on the idea of leaving everything in shambles at the end of TA2. Especially since there will have to be plenty of solo adventures in between TA2 and TA3.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #46
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

What Feige said is that the next "event film" would transpire in 2015. That movie will clearly be Avengers 2. And again, I don't see any reason at all for Thanos not to be the main villain in that film. He already tried sickin' some lesser being on Earth & that didn't work out. Now its personal. It would make no sense for someone else to be sent to attack Earth or for some villain to make his play unbeknownst to Thanos. "To challenge them would be to court death." -The Other. That above statement is what sealed the deal on Thanos attacking Earth. Its not even about The Gauntlet (although I'm sure it will play a role). Its about making a statement. He'll come, invade, destroy & do it all just to prove he can. He'll leave our heroes shattered. That'll be the dynamic of the film. "We defeated a demigod & an alien army. We can take this guy!" Nope. Its simply a matter of escalation. You don't go from Thanos to Ultron. Hell, I wouldn't go to Ultron at all. Completely unimaginative to the GA.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #47
Blackman
King Kong

I wouldnt go for Ultron either. Not with Thanos around

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #48
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Yeah, I'm not big on the idea of Ultron either, tbh.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #49
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

If the 30-year-old (and counting) Terminator franchise didn't exist, Ultron could work & actually make for a very interesting threat. But since it does exist, to the GA Ultron would just be SKYNET-lite. Been there, done that, with an R-rating & the glory of Schwarzenegger.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #50
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I see there's alot of Ultron hate going around in here, no matter he's still on the top of my list for A2's main villain.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote