The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #26
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you think other studios may try and follow suit with the teamups/crossovers?

Yea and that too. Sam Jackson leaves an impression, she not so much.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #27
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Default Re: Do you think other studios may try and follow suit with the teamups/crossovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
..... And my lord will come off as such a copycat move.
lol dude!!!

The same goes for the Avengers and The Transformers. They both used the army summoned through a portal idea. All movie studios do is copy each others ideas.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #28
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
lol dude!!!

The same goes for the Avengers and The Transformers. They both used the army summoned through a portal idea. All movie studios do is copy each others ideas.
Apples to oranges. There's been portals in numerous movies .... TF, Ghostbusters, Avengers, StarGate, etc. etc.

A special agent of a secret government operation who's principle connective tissue to all the films? We haven't seen that and watching DC do it beat for beat the same way is unoriginal.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #29
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Well DC can't be worried about that if they want to go thru with this. As I said no one in Hollywood is embarrassed about ripping other people off. There is no way a Justice League movie won't be called a ripoff of Avengers no matter what they do. But that doesn't mean it can't be successful.

Its kind of funny how the tables have turned since the Avengers comic was a response to JL. Reminds me of when some people said FF was a ripoff of Incredibles.
Yes, but by making Waller Nick Fury... you're making them right about it being a rip off.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #30
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Waller will sever as the convective tissue but here roll in the movies won't be the same a Furys.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 05-14-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #31
Juicy J
Side-Kick

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it'll be 10+ years before we see a JL movie that can compete with the Avengers in any respect. GL tanking completely affirmed that. With the Nolan batman series coming to a close, MOS is literally WB's only hope for the next couple years at reviving the general publics interest in seeing a DC crossover movie. WB is fighting an uphill battle.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #32
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: it'll be 10+ years before we see a JL movie that can compete with the Avengers in any respect. GL tanking completely affirmed that. With the Nolan batman series coming to a close, MOS is literally WB's only hope for the next couple years at reviving the general publics interest in seeing a DC crossover movie. WB is fighting an uphill battle.
If they do a Justice League movie it will come a year or two after The Avengers 2. Amusing Man of Steel is a success they need to have a successful Batman reboot, Green Lantern Sequel, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman. It's like they have to start from the ground up with all most all of there franchises. It only worked for Marvel be cause Marvel needed it to work. Warner Brothers is so far has be just trying to capitalize on the popularity of there comic properties unlike Marvels who is in the business of popularizing there lesser known properties.

Marvel's cashing in and Warner Brothers is cashing out.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 05-14-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #33
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The should just start a Justice League franchise from the ground up. I prefer solo films, leading into a Justice League movie, but you're right. That will take ten years.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #34
PunyGod
Dojo

Last edited by PunyGod; 09-01-2013 at 11:53 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #35
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
The should just start a Justice League franchise from the ground up. I prefer solo films, leading into a Justice League movie, but you're right. That will take ten years.
Quote:
Or how about just skip all that and go straight to the team-up? I don't think its required to give each character a solo movie first. Many of those probably wouldn't be successful on their own anyway. I mean Aquaman? Come on.
I agree Do a quality Justice League film and them branch your solo off from there. I think the best route would be:

Man of Steel
Batman Reboot
Worlds Finest
Justice League
(Branch off a series of Solo Films)

Or

Man of Steel
Justice League
(Branch off a series of Solo Films)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #36
thalidomide
The Enemy

Aquaman will look cheesy in cinemas.

thalidomide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #37
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalidomide View Post
Aquaman will look cheesy in cinemas.
They say that about every comic book character in a movie. If we get Aquaman we won't get the cheezy one. We'll get the Angry sea captain one.
>

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #38
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Aside from horror films, I don't see many non-superhero films that are really set up for this kind of thing. Of course if GI Joe and Transformers are technically in the same universe, I'd love a crossover because if we have to have the military get more screentime than the Autobots, at least give me The Rock and Bruce Willis.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #39
PunyGod
Dojo

Last edited by PunyGod; 09-01-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #40
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Or how about just skip all that and go straight to the team-up? I don't think its required to give each character a solo movie first. Many of those probably wouldn't be successful on their own anyway. I mean Aquaman? Come on.
This is a perfect example why I think WB is caught between a rock and a hard place.
If they do that, the movie is doomed from the beginning IMO. How are they going to flesh out each character if they throw all of them into one movie without anything preceding it? Sure people know Batman and Superman's origins and motivations as characters, but Green Lantern? Wonder Woman? Martian Manhunter? The Flash? How are they going to explain how all of these characters from all across the universe come together just out of nowhere in one two hour movie? It'd be a complete train wreck.
On the other hand, I don't think each character's solo movies would work either. GL proved to me that DC's stable of characters outside of the big two aren't going to do that well as blockbuster movies. WB marketed the ever loving crap out of Green Lantern in an attempt to fill up seats, but it's opening weekend and overall box office gross showed that at the end of the day there aren't that many people who would care to see a B-list DC character film.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #41
Liam_H
Side-Kick

That GL example is false in the sense that the movie was crap to begin with. It had terrible marketing along with so many other things that doomed it. Iron Man proved you can make a character extremely aware in GA if its executed right. Also, if Thor can be successful GL can certainly too.

Spill

Old 05-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #42
PunyGod
Dojo

Last edited by PunyGod; 09-01-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #43
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is a Marvel fanboy talking but I really don't think DC has any blockbuster level characters outside of Supes and Bats. On the other hand I never expected Iron Man to be as huge as it was either.
That's where I'm coming from as well.
So maybe my GL example wasn't accurate, but to me I can't exactly figure why it had a relatively unimpressive opening weekend if indeed it wasn't the character at the core that people weren't interested in. Yeah it was a crap movie, but no one in the GA knew that when it opened. It was an action movie with a star-studded cast featuring one of the most bankable leading men you could ask for, had over $100 million poured into marketing the thing, and it still fell flat pretty much right out of the gate.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #44
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
This is a perfect example why I think WB is caught between a rock and a hard place.
If they do that, the movie is doomed from the beginning IMO. How are they going to flesh out each character if they throw all of them into one movie without anything preceding it? Sure people know Batman and Superman's origins and motivations as characters, but Green Lantern? Wonder Woman? Martian Manhunter? The Flash? How are they going to explain how all of these characters from all across the universe come together just out of nowhere in one two hour movie? It'd be a complete train wreck.
On the other hand, I don't think each character's solo movies would work either. GL proved to me that DC's stable of characters outside of the big two aren't going to do that well as blockbuster movies. WB marketed the ever loving crap out of Green Lantern in an attempt to fill up seats, but it's opening weekend and overall box office gross showed that at the end of the day there aren't that many people who would care to see a B-list DC character film.
People know Green Lanterns character even though the movie sucked. GL is basically Warner Brothers' Hulk. He's salvageable. I would put Wonder Woman in the same boat as Batman and Superman. The older members of the GA know the general gist of her back ground because of the Old TV show.

If you limited the movie to Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and GL. I think the movie could work.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 05-14-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #45
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's where I'm coming from as well.
So maybe my GL example wasn't accurate, but to me I can't exactly figure why it had a relatively unimpressive opening weekend if indeed it wasn't the character at the core that people weren't interested in. Yeah it was a crap movie, but no one in the GA knew that when it opened. It was an action movie with a star-studded cast featuring one of the most bankable leading men you could ask for, had over $100 million poured into marketing the thing, and it still fell flat pretty much right out of the gate.
Here's a couple of things that doomed it from the get go. The teaser that was attached to HP7.1 had people laughing because the CGI of the suit was so bad, made it look real cheesy. Basically FF vibes were coming from it. WB just rushed it out because they knew people were gonna see when they saw Potter. Also the CGI workload of the movie took a lot longer than they had anticipated, had to bring in more people just to finish it by release. And still the finished product had shoddy CGI in some parts, the whole Parallax looking like a giant turd etc. The idea of an all CGI suit was bad from the start because a lot of people couldn't get over how it looked .

A lot of the GA know GL from the Justice League cartoon. There were so many people going like why the hell did they make him white when he's suppose to be a black character.

I would argue Ryan Reynolds isn't really proven to be a bankable leading man. He can open smaller movies well and works better as a support. Safe House did not do well because of Reynolds it was Denzel Washington.

Spill

Last edited by Liam_H; 05-14-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #46
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Here's a couple of things that doomed it from the get go. The teaser that was attached to HP7.1 had people laughing because the CGI of the suit was so bad, made it look real cheesy. Basically FF vibes were coming from it. WB just rushed it out because they knew people were gonna see when the saw Potter. Also the CGI workload of the movie took a lot longer than they had anticipated, had to bring in more people just to finish it by release. And still the finished product had shoddy CGI in some parts, the whole Parallax looking like a giant etc. The idea of an all CGI suit was bad from the start because a lot of people couldn't get over how it looked .

A lot of the GA know GL from the Justice League cartoon. There were so many people going like why the hell did they make him white when he's suppose to be a black character.

I would argue Ryan Reynolds isn't really proven to be a bankable leading man. He can open smaller movies well and works better as a support. Safe House did not do well because of Reynolds it was Denzel Washington.
If were talking about the GA under 30 then yea but the wider GA didn't watch the Justice Leauge chartoon. Most of those people viewed The Superfriends cartoon when they were younger.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 05-14-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #47
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Yeap I was mainly referring to the younger audiences which is generally the group that watch these movies.

Spill

Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #48
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
In the right hands, a Justice League movie would actually make Avengers look like amateurs, though. That's always been the ultimate Marvel vs. DC e-peen --- Avengers vs. JLA --- but it's hard to argue against the power levels of the Justice League. A core team of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Hawkman, Atom, Green Arrow and Black Canary would probably require a $300 million budget to cover the visual fx alone; then you pit them against an ungodly force like Darkseid, Eclipso, Despero, Amazo, Brainiac or Doomsday, and the fireworks would make Avengers vs. Loki and the Chitauri look like amateur hour.
The power levels is exactly why the JLA have always been boring to me. Someone else on the forums it's like guys who played "god mode" on video games.

Before Warner even attempts a JLA, they need to prove they can make solo movies for other characters than Superman and Batman. GL was such a joke of a movie, it's hard to even think they could screw up that bad. Yes I know some people like it, heck I even have a guilty pleasure for the FF movies, but you'll never hear me mention them in the same breath as the greats of the genre.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #49
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
The power levels is exactly why the JLA have always been boring to me. Someone else on the forums it's like guys who played "god mode" on video games.

Before Warner even attempts a JLA, they need to prove they can make solo movies for other characters than Superman and Batman. GL was such a joke of a movie, it's hard to even think they could screw up that bad. Yes I know some people like it, heck I even have a guilty pleasure for the FF movies, but you'll never hear me mention them in the same breath as the greats of the genre.
The power levels aren't the problem. Its pitting them against people with comparable power levels that the problem. It has to feel like God vs God instead of God vs (it don't mater because the other guy is a God). That's why I love DBZ . I had to slip that in.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 05-14-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #50
Godzilla2000
Caged Tigress

I think the thought of doing movies which crossover several characters from different franchises was something many studios wanted to do. It was just that Marvel was the first one out of the gate with their project, and rather successfully at that.

- Some rockstars need to stop whining about things and just make new music regardless of what they think of the mainstream music scene.
Godzilla2000 is online now   Reply With Quote