The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #51
thalidomide
The Enemy

Default Re: Do you think other studios may try and follow suit with the teamups/crossovers?

Superman is so powerful he can reverse the rotation of the planet

thalidomide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #52
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you think other studios may try and follow suit with the teamups/crossovers?

DC, obviously, should be capitalized on by WB. I question whether they can actually do it though. I personally think the best way forward is to A) Hope MOS is ah it, B) Release a MOS2 and Wonder Woman film in the next 3-4 years, Batman reboot may be too soon, but is optional C) Then release Justice League with Henry Cavill, WW, a rebooted Green Lantern and, if not rebooted yet, a new Batman...plus introducing everybody else.

However, will they make that movie? No guarantees.

As for a "Hasboro" crossover of Transformers, GI Joe and Battleship?

That is too hilarious for words.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #53
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalidomide View Post
Superman is so powerful he can reverse the rotation of the planet
Everyone in this pic is just as powerful if not more powerful than superman.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #54
Godzilla2000
Cosmic Muse

What would really bother me is that the general public who doesn't have a certain respect for or knowledge of characters from both DC and Marvel would call a character like Darkseid a cheap knockoff of Thanos when he is in fact just an absolutely awesome character in his own right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
As for a "Hasboro" crossover of Transformers, GI Joe and Battleship?

That is too hilarious for words.
Noooo!!! You'll all give them all ideas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Everyone in this pic is just as powerful if not more powerful than superman.
Don't forget about Doomsday, whom actually managed to kill Superman.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 05-14-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #55
Liam_H
Side-Kick

That's just how things are now. Look at John Carter so many comparisons of it to Attack of the Clones from that one scene.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #56
DACrowe
Side-Kick

The Catch-22 WB/DC is in, as pointed out by Joss Whedon, is that their characters aren't very relatable. They were created to be better than everyone else and "godlike." That works for enough comic readers, but to have mass-market appeal on film, audiences need to care about them. That is easier with Marvel characters because Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, et al came up with the bright idea of, "They're just like us with crappy everyday problems!"

Nolan found a way for Batman to work as a "legend" by making the story about what the cost of that legendary status and persona costs the man inside. However, that take won't necessarily work on, say, The Flash. Plus, Batman in appearance is so naturally cinematic. I am of the mind that Wonder Woman could be adapted to screen quite well because she is the DC equivalent of Thor, is visually quite dynamic (at least to the male audience) and has more than just a "gimmick" to her powers. Also, she is clearly their most popular/well-known character after Bats and Supes. I'd say two MOS movies and one WW movie would be enough to lead up to JL. In JL (re)introduce all the characters. Perhaps, a smaller roster of just Supes, Bats, WW, Flash, GL and possibly Aquaman. Then spin off franchises to a rebooted Batman and then any of the others who land with audiences.

But, I suspect we'll just get a few MOS movies and then JL in a few years.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #57
parkerpete
Side-Kick

Quote:
People know Green Lanterns character even though the movie sucked. GL is basically Warner Brothers' Hulk. He's salvageable. I would put Wonder Woman in the same boat as Batman and Superman. The older members of the GA know the general gist of her back ground because of the Old TV show.

If you limited the movie to Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and GL. I think the movie could work.
Well, no offense to people who love Green Lantern, but he has nowhere NEAR the pop-culture resilience of Hulk. First off, Hulk is based on a simple concept that resonates with lots of viewers (Jekyll and Hyde). Secondly, Hulk was the star of a beloved TV series from the youth of many Gen-X'rs. Hulk has enough 'star power' as a brand that the studio attempted 2 solo movies with the character within 5 years of each other, with different actors and directors. That's like 'Spider-Man' name recognition to general audiences.

Green Lantern is mostly known, if he's known at all by general audiences, as a member of the Justice League. And his first film tanked. I doubt you could find a studio exec who would advocate 'rebooting' a solo Green Lantern film like they did for the Hulk after the Ang Lee disappointment.

I'm not gloating to DC fans... I was rooting for Green Lantern, because I wanted to see something that 'Avengers' finally delivered: Old-School, silver-age style cosmic superhero mayhem. I never even saw GL based on the terrible word of mouth. But it wasn't hard to see where they went wrong.

Even where the movies are flawed, Marvel GETS their characters and protects their individual identities, and it shows in the casting. One of the most telling examples of this was casting Evans as Cap. He'd ALREADY played the Human Torch, for god's sake! But Marvel knew he was the right choice for the role, and backed him. I'm sure the marketing guys were freaked, but Feige knew he had the right guy.

Whereas DC found a known celebrity and retrofitted Hal Jordan to fit his character. Actually, it seemed pretty transparent just from the marketing that they had REALLY cast Reynolds as their own Tony Stark, but with a Green Lantern costume. The incoherence of this characterization just seemed to taint every storytelling decision they made from that point on.

And I'm sad to say it, but 'Man of Steel' is not going to change the WB's luck. Zack Snyder knows as much about the soul of Superman as he knew about the soul of Alan Moore's writing: Zilch. Nada. Bupkus.

The characters resonate for a reason. Trust them and build the story around them, or there's no point. People can ***** about the liberties that Nolan sometimes takes with Batman, but I think it's obvious that, for the most part, he 'gets' the essence of that character.

Last edited by parkerpete; 05-14-2012 at 02:20 AM.
parkerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #58
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerpete View Post
Well, no offense to people who love Green Lantern, but he has nowhere NEAR the pop-culture resilience of Hulk. First off, Hulk is based on a simple concept that resonates with lots of viewers (Jekyll and Hyde). Secondly, Hulk was the star of a beloved TV series from the youth of many Gen-X'rs. Hulk has enough 'star power' as a brand that the studio attempted 2 solo movies with the character within 5 years of each other, with different actors and directors. That's like 'Spider-Man' name recognition to general audiences.

Green Lantern is mostly known, if he's known at all by general audiences, as a member of the Justice League. And his first film tanked. I doubt you could find a studio exec who would advocate 'rebooting' a solo Green Lantern film like they did for the Hulk after the Ang Lee disappointment.

I'm not gloating to DC fans... I was rooting for Green Lantern, because I wanted to see something that 'Avengers' finally delivered: Old-School, silver-age style cosmic superhero mayhem. I never even saw GL based on the terrible word of mouth. But it wasn't hard to see where they went wrong.

Even where the movies are flawed, Marvel GETS their characters and protects their individual identities, and it shows in the casting. One of the most telling examples of this was casting Evans as Cap. He'd ALREADY played the Human Torch, for god's sake! But Marvel knew he was the right choice for the role, and backed him. I'm sure the marketing guys were freaked, but Feige knew he had the right guy.

Whereas DC found a known celebrity and retrofitted Hal Jordan to fit his character. Actually, it seemed pretty transparent just from the marketing that they had REALLY cast Reynolds as their own Tony Stark, but with a Green Lantern costume. The incoherence of this characterization just seemed to taint every storytelling decision they made from that point on.

And I'm sad to say it, but 'Man of Steel' is not going to change the WB's luck. Zack Snyder knows as much about the soul of Superman as he knew about the soul of Alan Moore's writing: Zilch. Nada. Bupkus.

The characters resonate for a reason. Trust them and build the story around them, or there's no point. People can ***** about the liberties that Nolan sometimes takes with Batman, but I think it's obvious that, for the most part, he 'gets' the essence of that character.

Hulk was rebooted because Marvel need Hulk to succeed. If any other studio had Hulk he would have been shelved. Marvel has a drive that most normal studios don't. There in the business of creating long term cash cows and they're not just milking them till there dry and leaving them for dead.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 05-14-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #59
parkerpete
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hulk was rebooted because Marvel need Hulk to succeed. If any other studio had Hulk he would have been shelved.
This is obviously not true. "Incredible Hulk" didn't do any better than 'Hulk'. But Marvel still went ahead with including him in 'Avengers'. In fact, not only did they include him, they approved of giving him a prominent role, even though he was the most financially disappointing as a solo movie star. So obviously they didn't NEED him to succeed in order to make 'Avengers' work. If they NEEDED 'The Incredible Hulk' that badly, they would have made a truce with Ed Norton, no?

And even before Hulk was 'redeemed' through the success of 'Avengers', the character had already been 'green-lit' (ha!) to star in a TV series produced by Guillermo Del Toro.

I'm not dissing Green Lantern as a character, but I think you have to put down the crack pipe if you think he has the same popularity and name-recognition as The Hulk.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #60
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerpete View Post
This is obviously not true. "Incredible Hulk" didn't do any better than 'Hulk'. But Marvel still went ahead with including him in 'Avengers'. In fact, not only did they include him, they approved of giving him a prominent role, even though he was the most financially disappointing as a solo movie star.

And even before Hulk was 'redeemed' through the success of 'Avengers', the character had already been 'green-lit' (ha!) to star in a TV series produced by Guillermo Del Toro.

I'm not dissing Green Lantern as a character, but I think you have to put down the crack pipe if you think he has the same popularity and name-recognition as The Hulk.
In not disagreeing with you completely but Hulk succeed in Avengers because of Marvel's will and dedication to the character. It wasn't just the character appeal. If Warner Brothers where to make a decent Green Lantern sequel and give him an outstanding showing in a Justice League movie he would bounce back too.

Marvel is responsible for Hulks success not just the Hulk own appeal.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 05-14-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #61
parkerpete
Side-Kick

Quote:
In not disagreeing with you completely but Hulk succeed in Avengers because of Marvel's will and dedication to the character. If Warner Brothers where to make a decent Green Lantern sequel and give him an out standing showing in a Justice League movie he would bounce back too.
Yeah but I don't think that can happen. I would've said the same thing about IRON MAN, if that movie had flopped. I think Marvel had one chance to make Iron Man work as a solo movie. In fact, I was completely surprised when I saw the positive reviews, I really didn't have much faith.

But once I got in the theater I could see that they freakin' nailed it and the rest is history.

I think Green Lantern had one chance and WB totally whiffed it. It's too bad.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #62
Silvermoth
Avenger

I think they will and I don't think it's a bad idea. Take the Universal Studios monsters for example. Pop them in a film together and I would be quite happy. Maybe even think about rebooting The Creature from the Black Lagoon (but do it right of course)

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #63
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I think they will and I don't think it's a bad idea. Take the Universal Studios monsters for example. Pop them in a film together and I would be quite happy. Maybe even think about rebooting The Creature from the Black Lagoon (but do it right of course)
I though that they were going to start doing that after the success of Freddy vs Jason. Plus they kind of did that with Monsters vs Aliens.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #64
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

^One of the guys that works at Dreamworks did kind of hint that the above and Megamind were in the same canon also. But never went any further.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #65
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
^One of the guys that works at Dreamworks did kind of hint that the above and Megamind were in the same canon also. But never went any further.

Holy crap, can you imagine how big a Dreamworks animation crossover would be with the kiddies....? Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon.....

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #66
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Catch-22 WB/DC is in, as pointed out by Joss Whedon, is that their characters aren't very relatable. They were created to be better than everyone else and "godlike".
This just isn't realy true, other than the idea that they're supposed to be "Godlike", an aspect that still survives. I question which modern DC comics Joss Whedon has been reading. It doesn't matter how they were created, they grew out of that pretty quickly. While modern comics tend to be a bit deeper and better written, those heroes have been dealing with everyday issues since the early days. And they're as relatable as any character when written well.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 05-14-2012 at 10:32 AM.
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #67
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
This just isn't true, and I question which modern comics Joss Whedon has been reading. They're as relatable as any character when written well.
Ain't that the truth.

The unfortunate thing is that now, if DC wishes to craft a Justice League movie, they really have a long road ahead. It probably would've been easier had GL been a success...probably would've been easier to throw him and Henry Cavill's Superman into a shared universe along with a new Batman. (Assuming MOS is a success as well). However, since GL left a bad taste in people's mouths and MOS has a lot riding on it, it's certainly an uphill battle for DC...coupled with the fact that any sort of JL movie would have to live up to Avengers as well. Marvel certainly played their cards right.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #68
The Guard
Side-Kick

I've heard all the arguments against GREEN LANTERN ad nauseum, but part of me worries that maybe the general public just wasn't that keen on the idea of a superhero with a magic ring.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #69
thalidomide
The Enemy

I have high expectations on MOS but some people that I know are having doubts ever since they saw Henry Cavill in Immortals.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #70
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
I've heard all the arguments against GREEN LANTERN ad nauseum, but part of me worries that maybe the general public just wasn't that keen on the idea of a superhero with a magic ring.
Exactly. Sometimes there's only so far you can ask the audience to go, and I get that. I mean, friends of mine were asking me questions about GL before the film came out, and when I explained concepts (green light being willpower, guardians of the universe, etc etc) they all thought it sounded a little hokey...especially when I told them about the weakness to the colour yellow...they laughed. I remember Big Bang Theory cracking a joke about GL: How Alan Scott was weak against wood and the modern GL's were weak against yellow and Raj goes "So I can defeat both with a number 2 pencil?" It's space fiction...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #71
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
I think GL had a better chance of succeeding than either Thor or Cap, because it's alot easier for audience to accept that an ordinary man would get a magic ring than one about Asgardian god who speaks in Shakespeare or a WWII soldier who wears the American flag. It's about story and execution, and GL fails in both.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #72
thalidomide
The Enemy

Is the title of this thread answers the question of the other thread about Avengers being a game changer?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #73
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalidomide View Post
Is the title of this thread answers the question of the other thread about Avengers being a game changer?
No question at all this movie is a gamechanger. The fact that it's being talked about with the likes of TDK, Avatar, and Titanic, proves it's a game changer.

I said this when TDK broke the record, you can't predict when these things happen. They are cultural phenomenon. This isn't just about 3D boost or anything like that. Avengers is drawing people across cultural divides. Men, women, young, old, they are all flocking to this movie.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #74
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Like i've been saying...A Hulk/Iron Man team up film should be expected. Heck, the two of them drove off together at the end of the film even.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #75
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Like i've been saying...A Hulk/Iron Man team up film should be expected. Heck, the two of them drove off together at the end of the film even.
I highly doubt it. It's been confirmed that Iron man 3 will feature only Tony and his supporting characters, and I doubt that they've got particular team up movies planned outside of the Avengers.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote