The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer
 
Eddie Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 250 52nd St.
Posts: 24,905
Default Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock

Really? There isn't a strictly Marvel RPG anymore? Even after The Avengers made 157 bajillion dollars*?

*Numbers may be inaccurate.

__________________
Dear Marvel, please stop canceling excellent television shows before their time.
"Dear DC, if Marvel gets Rocket Raccoon in a movie before you make either Wonder Woman or Justice League, you have f***ing failed."
-ToplessRobot.com
Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,422
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

You came back and broke the ****ing thread!

__________________
Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,293
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

I think that's the right number. Bajillion is a tricky unit of measure to use.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer
 
Eddie Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 250 52nd St.
Posts: 24,905
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
You came back and broke the ****ing thread!
No, I came back, and the thread wasn't wide enough to contain my awesome.

Unlike YO MAMMA!

__________________
Dear Marvel, please stop canceling excellent television shows before their time.
"Dear DC, if Marvel gets Rocket Raccoon in a movie before you make either Wonder Woman or Justice League, you have f***ing failed."
-ToplessRobot.com
Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,422
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

You want a Marvel RPG, go for it. I would say try and do something different than base it off current comic canon. People don't seem to go for that anymore.

__________________
Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anit-Matter Universe
Posts: 4,035
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

I'd go for an All-Star approach. Last one burned out way too quickly.

__________________

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer
 
Eddie Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 250 52nd St.
Posts: 24,905
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
You want a Marvel RPG, go for it. I would say try and do something different than base it off current comic canon. People don't seem to go for that anymore.
True, but I don't see a starting-from-scratch Marvel RPG working, either. Too much overlap with the people starting-from-scratch as Marvel characters in One Earth. The only third option I can think of is movie continuity? But that only resolves the origins of the Avengers, since we would be ignoring non-Marvel Studios continuity.

__________________
Dear Marvel, please stop canceling excellent television shows before their time.
"Dear DC, if Marvel gets Rocket Raccoon in a movie before you make either Wonder Woman or Justice League, you have f***ing failed."
-ToplessRobot.com
Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,239
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

I've had a concept for a Marvel RPG brewing that's neither All-Star nor strictly 616, but mirrors the idea of classic Marvel canon. Basically, just 10 years into the Marvel Universe, vague continuity, some major stuff happened, some didn't. Everything would be deemed fit and unfit by GMs instead of players, so there'd be no confusion.

Personally, I think it's time to move away from the 'back to the beginning' stuff for awhile. UDC and OE already cover that ground well enough.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,293
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
No, I came back, and the thread wasn't wide enough to contain my awesome.

Unlike YO MAMMA!

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.

Last edited by wiegeabo; 05-13-2012 at 09:49 PM.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anit-Matter Universe
Posts: 4,035
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
True, but I don't see a starting-from-scratch Marvel RPG working, either. Too much overlap with the people starting-from-scratch as Marvel characters in One Earth. The only third option I can think of is movie continuity? But that only resolves the origins of the Avengers, since we would be ignoring non-Marvel Studios continuity.
OE really isn't a start over though. Mostly just a pick up and start playing with the known origins.

__________________

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anit-Matter Universe
Posts: 4,035
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I've had a concept for a Marvel RPG brewing that's neither All-Star nor strictly 616, but mirrors the idea of classic Marvel canon. Basically, just 10 years into the Marvel Universe, vague continuity, some major stuff happened, some didn't. Everything would be deemed fit and unfit by GMs instead of players, so there'd be no confusion.

Personally, I think it's time to move away from the 'back to the beginning' stuff for awhile. UDC and OE already cover that ground well enough.
I'm interested.

__________________

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer
 
Eddie Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 250 52nd St.
Posts: 24,905
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I've had a concept for a Marvel RPG brewing that's neither All-Star nor strictly 616, but mirrors the idea of classic Marvel canon. Basically, just 10 years into the Marvel Universe, vague continuity, some major stuff happened, some didn't. Everything would be deemed fit and unfit by GMs instead of players, so there'd be no confusion.

Personally, I think it's time to move away from the 'back to the beginning' stuff for awhile. UDC and OE already cover that ground well enough.
I could see that working. I mean, my idea was an All-Star where origin stories weren't "banned," per say, but strongly discouraged. You want to tell it in flashbacks? Fine. But an RPG won't get past the starting stages if everyone's doing their own thing for the first three months, and that's what origins create - joint fan-fiction instead of role-playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
OE really isn't a start over though. Mostly just a pick up and start playing with the known origins.
Fair, but there's a necessary retreading of the origins, which would diminish people's enthusiasm about doing it in a Marvel RPG, is my point.

__________________
Dear Marvel, please stop canceling excellent television shows before their time.
"Dear DC, if Marvel gets Rocket Raccoon in a movie before you make either Wonder Woman or Justice League, you have f***ing failed."
-ToplessRobot.com
Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,293
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Or maybe this one


__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,239
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
I could see that working. I mean, my idea was an All-Star where origin stories weren't "banned," per say, but strongly discouraged. You want to tell it in flashbacks? Fine. But an RPG won't get past the starting stages if everyone's doing their own thing for the first three months, and that's what origins create - joint fan-fiction instead of role-playing.
Yeah, and that's a policy that a Year 10-style RPG could adopt aswell. Say you're playing Spider-Man, and you want to reference Gwen Stacy's death, but the Brand New Day stuff is certainly not on your priorities list. Well, fair enough. In a decision made by the player and approved by the GMs, Peter is still married to Mary Jane. Case closed.

Honestly, past events should never dictate where an RPG's going. It's about doing new stuff with the characters and pushing ahead with new storylines and a player-created status quo. That's how the original Marvel RPG worked, and that worked out for many years. Just simplify it, and stop worrying about continuity. That's never done any game any favors.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anit-Matter Universe
Posts: 4,035
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
I could see that working. I mean, my idea was an All-Star where origin stories weren't "banned," per say, but strongly discouraged. You want to tell it in flashbacks? Fine. But an RPG won't get past the starting stages if everyone's doing their own thing for the first three months, and that's what origins create - joint fan-fiction instead of role-playing.
That's basically what we did with OE. Andy and MST3K were the only ones that did true origin stories with Spidey and Hulk. Everyone else just kind of jumped in with their characters. I think it worked out pretty well for the game considering it's been moving along at a good pace.

__________________

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,239
Default Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock

Whelp, it's a new day, and a new Flagons.

Time to crank out the cocaine and strippers!


Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer
 
Eddie Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 250 52nd St.
Posts: 24,905
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Yeah, and that's a policy that a Year 10-style RPG could adopt aswell. Say you're playing Spider-Man, and you want to reference Gwen Stacy's death, but the Brand New Day stuff is certainly not on your priorities list. Well, fair enough. In a decision made by the player and approved by the GMs, Peter is still married to Mary Jane. Case closed.

Honestly, past events should never dictate where an RPG's going. It's about doing new stuff with the characters and pushing ahead with new storylines and a player-created status quo. That's how the original Marvel RPG worked, and that worked out for many years. Just simplify it, and stop worrying about continuity. That's never done any game any favors.
So continuity would only be comics-based, or could players decide that Norman Osborn killed Peter's parents (to pick a random example) and have it be passed?

__________________
Dear Marvel, please stop canceling excellent television shows before their time.
"Dear DC, if Marvel gets Rocket Raccoon in a movie before you make either Wonder Woman or Justice League, you have f***ing failed."
-ToplessRobot.com
Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,293
Default Re: Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Whelp, it's a new day, and a new Flagons.

Time to crank out the cocaine and strippers!

which is different how?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #19
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,239
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
So continuity would only be comics-based, or could players decide that Norman Osborn killed Peter's parents (to pick a random example) and have it be passed?
I was thinking comic-based. It would be a simple matter of rummaging through the history of each character from the beginning of 616 and sort of shifting through which event happened and which didn't. I think that's honestly the main problem. People don't really like the continuity of the last decade, but are too afraid to start so far back that it's virtually unrecognizeable. My solution is to simply do it as if it's "classic" Marvel, in that it's a Marvel everyone recognizes and can get along with, continuity wise.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer
 
Eddie Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 250 52nd St.
Posts: 24,905
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I was thinking comic-based. It would be a simple matter of rummaging through the history of each character from the beginning of 616 and sort of shifting through which event happened and which didn't. I think that's honestly the main problem. People don't really like the continuity of the last decade, but are too afraid to start so far back that it's virtually unrecognizeable. My solution is to simply do it as if it's "classic" Marvel, in that it's a Marvel everyone recognizes and can get along with, continuity wise.
That's fair. I really think something like that could work, because it would thrust people right into the action and still give them the leeway to (re)tell the stories they always wanted to tell.

__________________
Dear Marvel, please stop canceling excellent television shows before their time.
"Dear DC, if Marvel gets Rocket Raccoon in a movie before you make either Wonder Woman or Justice League, you have f***ing failed."
-ToplessRobot.com
Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anit-Matter Universe
Posts: 4,035
Default Re: Dungeons And Flagons 2: Electric Boogaloo - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I was thinking comic-based. It would be a simple matter of rummaging through the history of each character that's happened from the beginning of 616 and sort of shifting through which event happened and which didn't. I think that's honestly the main problem. People don't really like the continuity of the last decade, but are too afraid to start so far back that it's virtually unrecognizeable. My solution is to simply do it as if it's "classic" Marvel, in that it's a Marvel everyone recognizes and can get along with, continuity wise.
I think that works. I'm putting my foot down and saying **** Civil War.

__________________

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel
 
trustyside-kick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Aquacave
Posts: 16,475
Default Re: Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock

Out of all the games, sadly the Marvel ones have the worst track record. Which is funny since how much the OU games and OE seems to embrace Marvel stuff. Without loyal new blood, I think you guys are setting yourself up to get disappointed.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Aquaman can only be whole when he loses that hand again and reclaims the super-awesome water hand. It's one of comics' great paradoxes.
trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #23
Saved
Remember Cliffjumper?
 
Saved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: A Meme
Posts: 15,759
Default Re: Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock

I'd be in for a marvel rpg.

__________________
Lee, Halladay, Hamels, Blanton, and The Vanimal
Phillies 2012
Saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #24
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,239
Default Re: Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...3#post23244033

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #25
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,293
Default Re: Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock


__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.