The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #151
PemLam
I'll be the judge of that

Default Re: Survivor: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by steintym View Post
I really hate the family reunion shows, they always come across as so cheesy to me. I know it must be emotional to reunite with a loved one like that, but some of the reactions are just cringe worthy. Lisa, Skupkin and Denise actually had me laughing out loud. I don't know, I might just be heartless.
I don't think you're heartless, in fact, Lisa's was creepy as hell. Denise's didn't bother me, she's just a horny middle-aged sex therapist seeing her husband for the first time in a month. Skupin's was a little over-board but not horrible.

PemLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #152
steintym
Stay Frosty

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that was creeped out.

Lisa was the worst ... Her brother just repeating "Sister, sister, sister" and her sobbing in his arms ...

steintym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #153
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

Shame that Carter was sent home but it was the smart move to make (other than sending Denise home).

Next immunity challenge will decide a lot, it Malcolm or Denise win then they will almost certainly make it to the final three but if they lose then Malcolm will have to win the final immunity challenge to make it. That's of course assuming that it's a final three and not a final two.

Wyrminarrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #154
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I haven't been following this season closely, but in general the family reunion shows are the worst and soooo overdone and fake. I always laugh when I see the faux-macho jocks sobbing like babies. I realize it's emotional, but what self-respecting grown man does that? When I saw my folks for the first time in two years after a stint in the peace corp I didn't act that way. I always fast-forward through any of that nauseating family-fluff stuff, so I'm with you steintym.

JJJ's Ulcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #155
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

I think part of it is that sometimes players are trying to appear more sympathetic by reacting like that. If they just went "Hey, what's up?" with their loved ones then they might appear cold or less as a good person.

Then there is always the "play it up for the cameras" angle, biggest reaction gets the most screen time.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #156
Dugath
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
Shame that Carter was sent home but it was the smart move to make (other than sending Denise home).

Next immunity challenge will decide a lot, it Malcolm or Denise win then they will almost certainly make it to the final three but if they lose then Malcolm will have to win the final immunity challenge to make it. That's of course assuming that it's a final three and not a final two.
Malcom has the Idle he does not need to win the next challenge, but has to make sure Skupin does not.

Dugath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #157
steintym
Stay Frosty

I always thought it would be funny if I were on the show, made it to the "reunion"show, have my wife come on and ...

then we just high-fived or I slap her on the butt.

"What's up babe?"

steintym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #158
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugath View Post
Malcom has the Idle he does not need to win the next challenge, but has to make sure Skupin does not.
But if Malcolm doesn't win and neither does Denise then it's likely that Denise will be sent home. That means that in the final tribal he will go home unless he has the idol where has if he and Denise are both there then at worst it will be a split vote (assuming that Denise doesn't stab him in the back )

Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #159
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I haven't been following this season closely, but in general the family reunion shows are the worst and soooo overdone and fake. I always laugh when I see the faux-macho jocks sobbing like babies. I realize it's emotional, but what self-respecting grown man does that? When I saw my folks for the first time in two years after a stint in the peace corp I didn't act that way. I always fast-forward through any of that nauseating family-fluff stuff, so I'm with you steintym.

I would be too embarrassed to have my family show up. My brother isn't a people person and the most you would see from us is a head nod. My mom and girlfriend would probably cry , but I'd look like an ass for just smiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
I think part of it is that sometimes players are trying to appear more sympathetic by reacting like that. If they just went "Hey, what's up?" with their loved ones then they might appear cold or less as a good person.

Then there is always the "play it up for the cameras" angle, biggest reaction gets the most screen time.

Yeah , I think Lisa had her game face on. She tries to seem really nice on camera. I'm sure she is a nice person for the most part , but I doubt she's that naive.

I don't like Abi , but it's interesting to see the outcast hold on for so long. I wouldn't call Malcolm , Denise , Skupin or Lisa heroes , but they could come back as favorites/ All stars. Abi is a villain no matter how hard she tries to deny it. I don't care to see her return though.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #160
Quasar
Side-Kick

I thought it was the right move for Malcolm to pick Lisa and Skubin for the reward, even if they ended up plotting against him anyway. I loved the part where Malcolm said "I should've known they'd bond over Jesus." lol

Yeah, that "Sister! Sister!" thing WAS really weird!

Last edited by Quasar; 12-10-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #161
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Agreed with the weird vibe between Lisa and her "brother". Seemed very affectionate towards each other, who nuzzles their brother like that?

SolarTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #162
bullets
bang bang

It felt like he was a hired actor. Who the hell does that?

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #163
PemLam

Finally we get to see Abi removed from play. I'm surprised they made the decision not to vote off Denise but I think Abi had to have been such a cancer in life at the tribe's beach that it was worth the risk of keeping Denise to Malcolm, Lisa and Skupin to get rid of her.

Abi's ability to alienate herself continues to amaze me...calling Skupin an idiot and a moron and continually calling out Denise. She easily ranks in the top 5 worst people ever on Survivor.

I'm looking forward to the finale this year since I'm honestly in the dark on who will get the votes.
- Lisa has shown loyalty and has upped her strategic gameplay
- Denise has survived every tribal council, has been great physically and shown decent strategy (though she can be looked at as too much of a follower)
- Skupin is the one I don't see winning because he alienated alot of his own tribe with his "leadership". He was good in the challenges and played a good strategic game.
- Malcolm is the clear front runner; good strategy, well liked, physical powerhouse, etc. I'm not sure how many votes Lisa will pull away because of her Tandang loyalty though.

All in all, a good season this year.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #164
NY1981
Side-Kick

Lisa is the only 1 of the final 4 left I really don't want to see win but for some stupid reason feel she could pull it off. She claims to make big moves but really Skupin made the bigger move when he flipped and she decided to stay but then flips the next episode after it was obvious she wasn't in the majority. God I hope she don't win but this season has been damn good so far and with my luck will probably happen and ruin it for me.

NY1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #165
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Lisa was playing for Jury votes when she brought up Tandang pride, that was obvious. Hopefully they don't fall for it, because she's been almost as annoying as Abi this season.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #166
Harry_Lime02
Concerned Citizen

Dumb move from Mike and Lisa. Doesn't matter if they go up against Malcolm or Denise, they're going to lose either way. Mike does not seem well-liked by the jury at all although he seems pretty delusional about that.

I think it'll come down to the last challenge. Whoever wins between Malcolm and Denise will vote the other one out and win the game.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #167
PemLam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Lime02 View Post
Dumb move from Mike and Lisa. Doesn't matter if they go up against Malcolm or Denise, they're going to lose either way. Mike does not seem well-liked by the jury at all although he seems pretty delusional about that.

I think it'll come down to the last challenge. Whoever wins between Malcolm and Denise will vote the other one out and win the game.
None of them want to go against Malcolm in the final so unless he wins immunity, he's gone. If that happens, you're right, I think Denise will end up winning.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #168
PemLam

Just watched the Survivor Ponderosa video with Abi's arrival. She received a decent welcome from pretty much everyone except RC. It was finally revealed to Abi that Pete pulled the con on Abi and RC with the idol/clue. Abi apologized but it was kind of half-a$$ed and definitely not accepted by RC.

The second video shows RC laying into Abi and telling her what a ***** and nasty person she is. Abi tried to say she wasn't really like that and she was just being that way because she wanted the money.

I enjoy the Ponderosa videos because it gives you an idea of what the people are like outside the game. Carter, Penner and Artis seem like decent people overall. RC is a really sore loser, Pete is a condescending, obnoxious prick and Kent is an unsociable, elitist snob. I'd have a difficult time not curb stomping a few of them if I was stuck there with them for weeks on end.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #169
Harry_Lime02
Concerned Citizen

I kinda liked RC on the show, but she's been unbearable in the Ponderosa videos and it was definitely Abi taking the high ground in that exchange.

I think RC and Abi are both relatively immature, self-centered and catty. That's why they were put on the same tribe, that's why they got on well at first, and that's why they fell out.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #170
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PemLam View Post
Just watched the Survivor Ponderosa video with Abi's arrival. She received a decent welcome from pretty much everyone except RC. It was finally revealed to Abi that Pete pulled the con on Abi and RC with the idol/clue. Abi apologized but it was kind of half-a$$ed and definitely not accepted by RC.

The second video shows RC laying into Abi and telling her what a ***** and nasty person she is. Abi tried to say she wasn't really like that and she was just being that way because she wanted the money.

I enjoy the Ponderosa videos because it gives you an idea of what the people are like outside the game. Carter, Penner and Artis seem like decent people overall. RC is a really sore loser, Pete is a condescending, obnoxious prick and Kent is an unsociable, elitist snob. I'd have a difficult time not curb stomping a few of them if I was stuck there with them for weeks on end.
Everyone forgots that RC tried to exclude Lisa early on in the game and was being a bit of a ***** herself. She's gotten a good edit. And Kent was famous as a baseball player for being a complete ******* and had little friends among his teammates. Still a hell of a player, but he's definitely a loner type.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #171
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

Glad that Abi was voted out, it makes the final all the more exciting since you don't know how the alliances will fall after the immunity challenge.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #172
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I'm just glad they didn't go down the "lets take the most hated player to the finals" route. It's always a cheap ploy. Win based on merit, not because you're less hated than someone else.

H.E.(Y GURL HEEEEEY)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #173
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

The flip side is that people might respect you less if you do that, they'd say you made a bad play and therefore don't deserve to win.... And at the same time the strong player you spared might come out looking good for having managed to stay alive in the game.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #174
Quasar
Side-Kick

Abi... Buh Bye!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #175
PemLam

Sorry to see Malcolm not make it but Denise was a pretty good alternative. I was worried there for a minute that Lisa was getting a little too much approval from the jury but I suppose I was looking too much into it.

All told, this was a great season and it's kind of brought me back into the fold. I'd lost the excitement for it over the past few years as the quality of contestants and overall production suffered. Here's to the hope for another great season next time.