The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #76
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
THX gives no hint of imagination and cultural impact of Star Wars.

The movies may have a similar theme about rebelling against a tyranical system but they couldn't be any more different in many of other ways.

Most people would be bored to death or weirded out watching THX which is a bleak nightmarish art film.

Star Wars is an imaginative and fun space opera blockbuster with wookies, jedi and light sabers.

No one knew at the time George Lucas had such a vision with so much ground-breaking potential nesting in his brain.

No one.
OMG, do you watch movies with your eyes closed?

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #77
Boom
I got nothin'
 
Boom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sitting on the nitpicket fence
Posts: 31,446
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

What are our thoughts of Drew Goddard directing a Batman movie?

__________________
"You can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #78
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,833
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
My issue with Brad Bird has nothing to do with what tone he could do...but with his actual talent as a live action director. Wasn't all that impressed with MI4. I found his directing work to be pretty average action movie stuff. I don't want to go from Chris Nolan to someone who MIGHT be talented enough to be good enough to follow up one of the best superhero franchises ever.
Well one thing Bird had over Nolan was he could do competent action scenes his first go around, it took Nolan until Inception to do decent action scenes.

I like the idea of Bird doing a Batman movie, he would give me hope that maybe it be all dour like the Nolan movies have been, and actually infuse a bit of fun. Because frankly, after The Avengers, I've become kinda bored of the whole grim n' gritty comic book films.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #79
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,983
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
OMG, do you watch movies with your eyes closed?
Nice rebuttal.

It really supports your argument.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #80
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,804
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Well Serenity gave no indication that Avengers would become a cultural phenomenon and the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time.
No, but common sense might have...

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #81
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,983
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
No, but common sense might have...
Exactly Serenity didn't give any indication that Avengers would be so successful but common sense might have.

I agree completely.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #82
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 19,781
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Bird would make an awesome Batman movie.

But you guys shouldn't get your expectations up, cause there is a good, solid chance he will be taken by Disney for a Marvel movie. Bird wouldn't jeopardize his relationship with Disney/Pixar. Disney is also ruthless enough to hold a knife over his head and say
¨You do Batman, and we do you¨

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #83
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,952
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

If Brad Bird has anything else to say about superheroes, he'll do Incredibles 2.

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #84
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 19,781
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

That's what I want to see from Bird!

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #85
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,725
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Again Marvel would be good too bor a Bird superhero flick. He could make a badass Captain America, X-Men, Avengers or FF film.

Daniel Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #86
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,975
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Well one thing Bird had over Nolan was he could do competent action scenes his first go around, it took Nolan until Inception to do decent action scenes.

I like the idea of Bird doing a Batman movie, he would give me hope that maybe it be all dour like the Nolan movies have been, and actually infuse a bit of fun. Because frankly, after The Avengers, I've become kinda bored of the whole grim n' gritty comic book films.
That's absurd. Batman isn't 'fun'. It's alright to feature a few humorous scenes but the last thing the Batman franchise needs is another Batman Forever or Batman & Robin just because you found The Avengers greatly entertaining. It took nearly a decade and a brilliant director to resurrect Batman after those events.

No thank you to a lighter and fun Batman movie.

After all the grim-n-gritty CBMs? What in bloody heavens are babbling about? Other than BB, TDK, Watchmen, Punisher '04 and V for Vendetta, you act as if the superhero genre is flooded with them. The fun and light-hearted CBMs outnumber the dark and gritty CBMs in a 5 to 1 ratio.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #87
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,245
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Thompson View Post
Again Marvel would be good too bor a Bird superhero flick. He could make a badass Captain America, X-Men, Avengers or FF film.
I agree. I think with the number of CBM that Marvel still wants to make, they can definitely offer him a movie that he can really sinks his teeth into. I'd love to see him taking over Cap 2 & 3, because with SHIELD integrates into his movie, I see these two sequels not only maximizing Cap's appeal but can also give spotlights to agents like BW and Hawkeye. Of course, Bird can also make The Incredibles 2, and this is something I want to see.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #88
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
That's absurd. Batman isn't 'fun'. It's alright to feature a few humorous scenes but the last thing the Batman franchise needs is another Batman Forever or Batman & Robin just because you found The Avengers greatly entertaining. It took nearly a decade and a brilliant director to resurrect Batman after those events.

No thank you to a lighter and fun Batman movie.

After all the grim-n-gritty CBMs? What in bloody heavens are babbling about? Other than BB, TDK, Watchmen, Punisher '04 and V for Vendetta, you act as if the superhero genre is flooded with them. The fun and light-hearted CBMs outnumber the dark and gritty CBMs in a 5 to 1 ratio.
Batman is fun. Batman the man may be about as humorous as a bag full of crocodiles, but the comics by and large are fun. I mean the whole share of Neal Adams stories were fun, especially tales like Son of the Demon. Very Bond-esque. You're confining Batman to a very narrow scope.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #89
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,833
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
That's absurd. Batman isn't 'fun'. It's alright to feature a few humorous scenes but the last thing the Batman franchise needs is another Batman Forever or Batman & Robin just because you found The Avengers greatly entertaining. It took nearly a decade and a brilliant director to resurrect Batman after those events.

No thank you to a lighter and fun Batman movie.

After all the grim-n-gritty CBMs? What in bloody heavens are babbling about? Other than BB, TDK, Watchmen, Punisher '04 and V for Vendetta, you act as if the superhero genre is flooded with them. The fun and light-hearted CBMs outnumber the dark and gritty CBMs in a 5 to 1 ratio.
I'm not looking for another Batman & robin, but more Avengers than dour and depressing like Nolan has been doing.

It's bad wording on my part, it's more to do with people saying that whatever comic properties should be gritty. Hell take The Amazing Spider-Man, when they announced they said it would be more gritty like TDK.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #90
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,975
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Batman is fun. Batman the man may be about as humorous as a bag full of crocodiles, but the comics by and large are fun. I mean the whole share of Neal Adams stories were fun, especially tales like Son of the Demon. Very Bond-esque. You're confining Batman to a very narrow scope.
Sorry, no I'm not. The idea of 'fun' is currently being derived from what The Avengers was during it's run. And that's not Batman.

ALL comic books and graphic novels are fun. If they weren't, then why would we be fans of them? However, Batman is not a colorful character (per se) -- nor is The Punisher. So I'm not against a 'fun' Batman at all. After all, I adored the B:TAS and the Arkham games, but it varies to what level of 'fun' is suggested here.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #91
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,975
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I'm not looking for another Batman & robin, but more Avengers than dour and depressing like Nolan has been doing.
That's my point though. Batman isn't Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, Thor, etc. He's a damaged hero with sociopathic issues.

Depressing? I find Nolan's Batman films to be optimistic and inspirational.

Quote:
It's bad wording on my part, it's more to do with people saying that whatever comic properties should be gritty. Hell take The Amazing Spider-Man, when they announced they said it would be more gritty like TDK.
See? Spiderman isn't dark and gritty, so why start now? Batman is Batman, Spiderman is not the Dark Knight and Batman isn't fun as The Avengers or Justice League Unlimited.

For me, a 'fun' Batman movie would be closer to the mythology of the character (which is still dark) with villains like Killer Croc, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."

Last edited by DoomsdayApex; 05-29-2012 at 10:34 PM.
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #92
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Sorry, no I'm not. The idea of 'fun' is currently being derived from what The Avengers was during it's run. And that's not Batman.

ALL comic books and graphic novels are fun. If they weren't, then why would we be fans of them? However, Batman is not a colorful character (per se) -- nor is The Punisher. So I'm not against a 'fun' Batman at all. After all, I adored the B:TAS and the Arkham games, but it varies to what level of 'fun' is suggested here.
You're wrong though. Your merely pointing out that Bruce Wayne is a sociopath with zero sense of humor, agreed (kind of, he's been 'lighter' or 'darker' depending on the writer, but basically a not happy dude). Alfred Pennyworth - dry sense of humor, good for one liners. Robin (pivotal character), Nightwing are both humorous, good banter. Could see a very Downey Jr. take on Dick Grayson as Nightwing for example. Have him being very quick witted, and very cheaky with the ladies. All that is very consistent with the comics. Joker, again, can be very humorous on top of being murderous, and fits with multiple takes on Batman. Then you really have a colorful cast of villains over all.

No Batman could have the 'tone' of Avengers. Batman simply wouldn't be the one responsible for that kind of dialogue, but you could certain have a comic bookish Batman take, and it's fits seemlessly with the comics. I mean Cap wasn't really funny in Avengers, and Batman has some parallels there, he's very by his own book and no one else's, and a bit moreso than Cap.

Remember, even 'Night of Owls', a very current Batman story that honestly has movie potential has a complete fun element to it. Owl ninjas? It's great, btw.

So I just completely disagree. There is too much Batman canon to consider to say that Brad Bird can't capture some of it, or that the style of Avengers is inappropriate. It's completely appropriate for Batman stories like Hush, Under the Red Hood, No Man's Land, Arkham Aslyum, or villains like Clayface, Mr. Freeze, or even Ra's Al Ghul would be given good treatment. I in fact think Nolan really only did a sub par Ra's thus far, I think he dumbed down many great aspects of the character. There's a ton of high concept fantasy and sci-fi that has always found a home with Batman, and it'd be nice to see a movie that does that.

I think you also have to realize that not having to necessarily redo the origin now, which is probably the case, they can make a more expansive universe not just pigeonholed into our own.


Last edited by Optimus_Prime_; 05-29-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #93
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Frankly I'd like to see Batman R.I.P. get adapted. I'd modify Dr. Hurt, maybe make him Thomas Elliot or something, but still keep the Satan overtones. I love that story. Batman fights the Devil and the Devil blinks.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #94
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,975
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
You're wrong though. Your merely pointing out that Bruce Wayne is a sociopath with zero sense of humor, agreed (kind of, he's been 'lighter' or 'darker' depending on the writer, but basically a not happy dude). Alfred Pennyworth - dry sense of humor, good for one liners. Robin (pivotal character), Nightwing are both humorous, good banter. Could see a very Downey Jr. take on Dick Grayson as Nightwing for example. Have him being very quick witted, and very cheaky with the ladies. All that is very consistent with the comics. Joker, again, can be very humorous on top of being murderous, and fits with multiple takes on Batman. Then you really have a colorful cast of villains over all.
I don't disagree with most of this, however, you seem to conclude that the supporting cast will be similar to what RDJ was in TA, for example, when approaching Nightwing or Robin. These characters can still be cheeky, sarcastic and witty without following the same template.

Quote:
No Batman could have the 'tone' of Avengers. Batman simply wouldn't be the one responsible for that kind of dialogue, but you could certain have a comic bookish Batman take, and it's fits seemlessly with the comics.
Yes and no. I don't mind Alfred and Nightwing or Robin having their own personas (lighter personalities) but these stories typically revolve around Bruce Wayne. In fact, the whole reason why Nolan excluded Robin in his film series was because Grayson would have disrupted a few elements of his story and the film's tone. He wanted his trilogy to focus solely on Batman.

In all honesty, I don't want an ensemble Batman movie featuring Batgirl and Nightwing/Robin because I believe it'll take from screen-time and set-pieces away from Batman.

The playful banter from Lucius and dry humor from Alfred is more than enough for me. Not to mention you've got Gordon in the mix as well.

Quote:
Remember, even 'Night of Owls', a very current Batman story that honestly has movie potential has a complete fun element to it. Owl ninjas? It's great, btw.
Ehhhh... no thanks.

Quote:
So I just completely disagree. There is too much Batman canon to consider to say that Brad Bird can't capture some of it, or that the style of Avengers is inappropriate. It's completely appropriate for Batman stories like Hush, Under the Red Hood, No Man's Land, Arkham Aslyum, or villains like Clayface, Mr. Freeze, or even Ra's Al Ghul would be given good treatment. I in fact think Nolan really only did a sub par Ra's thus far, I think he dumbed down many great aspects of the character. There's a ton of high concept fantasy and sci-fi that has always found a home with Batman, and it'd be nice to see a movie that does that.
And I disagree with your belief that a more light and fun tone is what the next Batman franchise needs just because Batman can go there, and The Avengers utilized it. In my opinion, it's a slippery slope to returning back to Bat-Nipples. Now, that doesn't mean the next franchise can't venture into the more fantastical realm. I just believe that these feats can be accomplished without changing the 'tone' too much.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #95
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,983
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Why do people always focus on the lack of ”fun”.

What many fans want is IMAGINATION.

More specifically we want DARK and IMAGINATIVE.

”Fun” is the wrong word.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #96
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,975
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Why do people always focus on the lack of ”fun”.

What many fans want is IMAGINATION.

More specifically we want DARK and IMAGINATIVE.

”Fun” is the wrong word.
I'm down with a more fantastical and 'imaginative' Dark Knight story. Nolan tackled the gritty and philosophical/socio-political format for about seven years (and the films were fantastic -- some of the greatest CBMs ever made). I think it's time for Batman to return back to the 'supernatural' elements that the Burton movies, Arkham games and the animated series are currently known for.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #97
Rocketman
Side-Kick
 
Rocketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Here's my line of thinking.

I really liked how Nolan used villains that were never used before in Batman Begins. In the 1989-1997 era, we had Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, and Bane.

Then Nolan acknowledged what was already used and gave us something different: Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, Mr. Zsasz, and Carmine Falcone. Once it was established that this was clearly a NEW direction, Nolan had free rein to return to old villains from the old era: Joker, Two-Face, Catwoman, and Bane.

So I say: Follow that pattern. With the next reboot, bring in villains that have NEVER been used before, and then once the first movie is done, go back to the villains that were used before. Something like this:

First Movie:
- Black Mask
- Ventriloquist
- Hugo Strange


Second Movie:
- Riddler
- Penguin


And don't be afraid to introduce new supporting characters in addition to the new villains:

Leslie Thompkins
Harvey Bullock
Rene Montoya
Jeremiah Arkham


And MOST IMPORTANTLY, don't be afraid to have a big phenomenal cast like Nolan's ensembles. I'm talking big names, like the way Nolan drew in Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, etc. It's one thing to have a great Batman movie, but the thing that makes these movies even more great and epic is the amazing cast that is around Batman. These movies are events, moreso than any franchise I can name, and one reason is the casts they always pull together. And don't be afraid to go big, while still going small. I'm talking:

Batman: Jon Hamm or Josh Brolin
Alfred: Timothy Dalton
Hugo Strange: Robin Williams
Ventriloquist: Bill Murray
Jeremiah Arkham: Jeff Goldblum
Leslie Thompkins:Meryl Streep
Jim Gordon: William H. Macy

I'd kill for a Batman movie with Robin Williams and Bill Murray teaming up as villains, with Meryl Streep and Jeff Goldblum in the same cast. That's exactly along the same lines as the combined forces of Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman together.

__________________
KEEP CALM AND CALL BATMAN
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #98
DaveMoral
Side-Kick
 
DaveMoral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,640
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I don't disagree with most of this, however, you seem to conclude that the supporting cast will be similar to what RDJ was in TA, for example, when approaching Nightwing or Robin. These characters can still be cheeky, sarcastic and witty without following the same template.



Yes and no. I don't mind Alfred and Nightwing or Robin having their own personas (lighter personalities) but these stories typically revolve around Bruce Wayne. In fact, the whole reason why Nolan excluded Robin in his film series was because Grayson would have disrupted a few elements of his story and the film's tone. He wanted his trilogy to focus solely on Batman.

In all honesty, I don't want an ensemble Batman movie featuring Batgirl and Nightwing/Robin because I believe it'll take from screen-time and set-pieces away from Batman.

The playful banter from Lucius and dry humor from Alfred is more than enough for me. Not to mention you've got Gordon in the mix as well.



Ehhhh... no thanks.



And I disagree with your belief that a more light and fun tone is what the next Batman franchise needs just because Batman can go there, and The Avengers utilized it. In my opinion, it's a slippery slope to returning back to Bat-Nipples. Now, that doesn't mean the next franchise can't venture into the more fantastical realm. I just believe that these feats can be accomplished without changing the 'tone' too much.
I think the fact that people are using The Avengers as an example of honing closer to comic roots and feel is distracting you and conjuring images of B&R and Adam West instead of something closer to a live action marriage of Arkham City and BTAS. And you don't see the latter because you lack faith in writers and directors doing Batman's supporting characters right IMO. Grayson shouldn't take away from Bruce because he is, in a very real way, an extension of Bruce. He repeesents both what Bruce lost and what he became. He also puts Bruce in a new role, having to become mentor and father. There's no reason Dick has to take away from Bruce at all. It's more likely that, with the wild success of Nolan's approach, when they do reboot they will find writers and directors that will know how to handle the charscter and how he fits into the Batman world and story. Batman is going to be the one cgaracter that WB wants to safeguard for a long time. If Man of Steel does well they might work to safeguard him too. But Batman is one where they are not going to make the same mistakes.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #99
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!
 
Naked Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gotham city
Posts: 6,647
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

I can't believe some people are still saying Batman should have a sense of humor. When Bill Finger wrote Detective Comics and Batman, the dark knight was cracking jokes ALL THE TIME.

__________________
~Zryson~ Like most people I have a lot of doubts about the movie. its thought (by many) that Warner Bros is just rushing ahead to try and catch up to other studios.
~Gu3ree~ Superman doesn't manage to save 10,000 people. He doesn't come out as a big hero in the movie. he's just pissed at General Zod. He isn't necessarily concerned about the people.
Who is your SHH Crush? - Part 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
It's Zryson. Everything he says is so funny.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #100
DaveMoral
Side-Kick
 
DaveMoral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,640
Default Re: After Nolan's BATMAN trilogy... - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
I can't believe some people are still saying Batman should have a sense of humor. When Bill Finger wrote Detective Comics and Batman, the dark knight was cracking jokes ALL THE TIME.
I can't believe reading comprehension is so low that people believe this is what's being said.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.